PDA

View Full Version : GPS Mapping

tzp2gameknight
August 13th, 2006, 01:09
So I've had this idea floating around in my head for the past couple of days. Its more of a money making scheme than anything else but I think it would be interesting to do.

We have maps for lots of things, restaurants, hotels, and even pools. But we have no maps for WiFi locations throughout the United States. There are WiFi hotspots everywhere but I know I can never find one when I want one. So what is the logical step? Make WiFi maps.

That sounds so incredibly geeky but there is an upside. If we could make good and complete maps it would be able to be sold, or at least proposed, to AAA or one of those other companies. My thought process to think up this program went something like this:

Deniska's GPS program + Jonas's Collectit Game= A way to map WiFi locations with relative ease.

I admit I am not a programmer by any stretch of the imagination, I'm just the idea guy, I thought that since one program maps out locations and the other locates them via GPS that putting them together would make a fairly effective program. Putting two sets of code together would be very diffucult though. The idea is new to me anyways.

Its just an idea, one that's been nagging at me. If Deniska or Jonas would like to get in contact with me I would love that. Thanks a lot for comments.

*Edit*
So I was thinking about the idea and I think I have a simple way of getting all the data compiled and easily accesible, aka building a map. If you connected the PSP to the GPS and then made some code in Collectit to log into the network and send the coordinates to an open computer you could easily collect all the data about the networks fairly quickly. Or you could even write it into the GPS program. You could write some code telling it to make a mark every time the PSP finds a network and put a pin on that spot of the map. There are tons of ways to do it. To make the map would probably be easiest on the computer but how to compile the data is the hard part.