PDA

View Full Version : New to Xbox, need pointers plz

Mr_Biggs
August 13th, 2006, 22:08
i am looking to buy a new xbox next week or so, and i wish to run homebrew and backups of games on it. i want to run backups of games off the hard drive and create them on the xbox, add some new hard drives, and maybe do a memory upgrade. I need a modchip that will let me run games off the xbox hard drive, along with homburnt discs. what's the cheapest one out there that can do this? and now, i have a few questions.

Can i play MP3's and videos right off the HDD?
Can i burn CD's with homebrew instead of DVD's?
How good are the N64 and PSOne emulators?
Can homebrew run off the HDD? i.e an emulator and roms
Is there a way to download files from the internet on the xbox, or use the internet connection for someting other than multiplayer?

Mr_Biggs
August 16th, 2006, 00:08
Ok, i'm looking at an Aladdin chip. anyone had experince with these?

Video_freak
August 16th, 2006, 00:35
Sorry, I've never done XBox hacking/modding. I'm just posting so this comes at the top of the list and people see this.

Mr_Biggs
August 16th, 2006, 02:15
oh, thanks. that nes display unit in your sig is sweet, btw.

Video_freak
August 16th, 2006, 03:33
oh, thanks. that nes display unit in your sig is sweet, btw.
No problem and thanks, it was used in stores a while back ago (my granpa used to have a toy store).

s1k0
August 16th, 2006, 04:34
oohh thats were i jumpin uhh yeah you can doo all that with a mod chip you need lots of space for games and there is a place for homebrew programs but you have to know which file you go to in the ftp umm from what i know you cant play regular cds on dvds im pretty sure you can play music witha regular cd and homebrew on cd it wont work its all about accessing your xbox from the ftp and mybe you can find a web browser you can add me to your msn or aim my aim is Aim Is Gay s1k0 and msn is [email protected]

SmashinGit
August 16th, 2006, 15:08
Check this thread

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=12078

and this thread

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=443489

Everything you need to know is there.

Mr_Biggs
August 17th, 2006, 02:05
thanks, but this is all about softmodding. i wanna use a chip, because i just dont wanna risk ****ing up my 150 dollar console, you know?

oh, i was reading about hard drives and locking to use with xbox live. i have a 120 GB generic HD that came with a PC i had, but im not sure if it will lock. if it doesnt, i can still use anything on it still, right? i dont ever think i'll use Live, until BB or DSL access is available here.

On Divineo, there is an adapter to hook a PS/2 mouse and keyboard in. has anyone used it, and is it any good? mouses are better for FPS, IMO. i just like those snappy headshots. About the LCD. what exactly does it display? i'm thinking i'll use either a SmartXX or X-Ecuter chip, the Aladdin chip doesnt have an easy startup as ive read. i dont wanna have to hold the power button in, just so i can boot the chip.

I'm also planning on replacing the case with a transparent case, and sticking in blue lights. are these cases any good? one more question. i've read that the Xbox controller ports are just USB ports, with an extra wire for the lightgun. If this is true, can drivers be written to use USB devices with the Xbox? and, are there drivers to connect a Xbox joypad to a PC, through a homemade adapter? thanks!

NoQuarter
August 17th, 2006, 02:09
You risk you console just as much if not more using modchip,unless it's solderless.Besides softmodding is easy and cheap.You can use any usb stick to softmod,I used my psp.If you install linux the xbox supports any usb device that linux supports.I softmodded mine in about 20mins

SnoopKatt
August 17th, 2006, 02:57
oh, i was reading about hard drives and locking to use with xbox live. i have a 120 GB generic HD that came with a PC i had, but im not sure if it will lock. if it doesnt, i can still use anything on it still, right? i dont ever think i'll use Live, until BB or DSL access is available here.

There's an HDD locking compatibility chart at http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list

Mr_Biggs
August 17th, 2006, 03:16
you can use a psp eh? i wonder if i can hook in my camera, which has an SD card reader... im not worried about soldering modchips, i have mad 1337 soldering skills. i read that compatiblility list. my HD isnt in there. i dont wanna use live. so, can i still use the HD without live?

NoQuarter
August 17th, 2006, 03:25
Yeah you probably could use your camera,just be aware that as soon as you plug it in your xbox the card will be formated for the xbox.I accidently wiped my psp gig stick doing this.
Much props on the soldering skills,I wish i had that skill.
How did your nintendo project come along?
I don't know about HDD compatibility I've only used the included HDD.
I just want to put linux on everything,heck I'd put it on the microwave if I could!
What part of carolina are you in?I'm here in richmond,va

Mr_Biggs
August 18th, 2006, 02:18
my nintendo project? ummm, are you referring to the nes case that i was asking about? i live in franklinton, near louisburg and henderson.

Mr_Biggs
August 19th, 2006, 14:14
ok, ive picked the X-ecuter 3 CE, with a custom front panel, containing the XLCD, USB ports, and switches. I will use my 120GB hard drive with the Xbox. if it doesnt lock, big deal. i cant use live anyways.to network the Xbox to my PC, i can just connect a Cat5e cable to my pc, straight from the xbox right? thanks for all the help guys!

NoQuarter
August 19th, 2006, 14:21
Sounds sweet bro,be sure to post some pics when your done.I just remember you posting about a nes project,I'm not even sure what you were doing.

Mr_Biggs
August 19th, 2006, 15:29
oh, that. well, it's gonna be an upgrade of sorts. that's all i will say. i will post pics.

NoQuarter
August 19th, 2006, 15:47
awesome,can't wait to see what you do:)

SnoopKatt
August 21st, 2006, 06:26
I wouldn't worry about locking if you're using a chip. It only needs to lock if you want Live or you are softmodding. But good luck with everything. You'll be blown away by the power of the XBox. Personally I like it better than the PSP since a lot of the homebrew and emulators on it work so well. But it's a shame that everything is drying up, if everyone knew how easy it was to softmod their XBox, then maybe the scene would be revived.

Mr_Biggs
August 23rd, 2006, 01:34
Well, i am blown away. i got my box on sunday with doom 3 collectors edition, half-life 2 and area 51, along with a pelican wireless controller for 187 dollars. all used and in perfect condition. So, here's some questions.

My xbox wont run music CDs. why?

To link it to my PC, i can just run the ethernet cable from the pc right to the Xbox right?

I remember an article on hackaday about flashing Xbox DVD firmware to allow copies of crap to run. how do i do this? I have a Samsung SDG-605.

Thanks!

SnoopKatt
August 23rd, 2006, 05:26
If you're using the MS Dash to try and play music, you need to click on music and then go to the CD.

If you want to connect it to the computer directly, you need a crossover cable, NOT an ethernet cable. But if you do not have a crossover cable and you have a free port in your router, plug the XBox into the routher with an ethernet cable. But you cannot really do anything unless it's modded.

But if you modded it already, it should already be able to play copied stuff and homemade CD's.

However, your best bet is to go to www.forums.xbox-scene.com everyone there is very good with modding.

SmashinGit
August 23rd, 2006, 10:40
You may need to instal xbox media center to be able to play music cd's.

Mr_Biggs
August 25th, 2006, 01:20
well, it runs my commercial CDs, but none of my homeburnt CDs.

BrooksyX
August 25th, 2006, 02:59
Most xboxs dont read burnt cd-r discs but can read burnt cd-rws. Plus I would forget chipping your xbox, softmodding is the way to go. As long as you backup your eeprom and msdash there is no way you can f up your xbox. If you do f up it you can always build a new hdd image (is illegal to host the files though, so it could be a little hard.) Plus with softmodding it is easier to upgrade your hdd because their is a tool called xboxhdm_v1.9 that makes an image of your xbox hdd then lets you burn the image to the new hdd. Then all you have to do is switch the hdds.

As for dashboards I would suggest UnleashX or XBMC (Xbox Media Center).

Mr_Biggs
August 26th, 2006, 02:03
well... i wanna save money, but i want that sweet replacment front panel by Xecuter with the LCD screen too... Hmmm.... Looks, or money?

Mr_Biggs
August 27th, 2006, 22:19
ok, ive decided to softmod my xbox. my neighbor has a copy of splinter cell, and i plan to make a usb adapter so i can hook in my camera, which has a SD card reader built in. now i just need to work through all the crap to get a gamesave exploit.