PDA

View Full Version : Capability of homebrew?

gLitterbug
August 13th, 2006, 22:47
Hi,

I only recently got me a DS lite and then stumbled onto some homebrew sites and being interested in game development in general I wondered what the capabilities of the scene are at right now.

Surfing around all those sites and looking at different stuff it seems there are pleny of cool applications out there, but what about actual game development? If a coder and an artist (like me) were to team up, could they create a game just like someone signed up as an actual developer with Nintendo? From an artist's perspective I wonder what the specifications for content would be. Couldn't find anything about that sadly, is there information about that at all? Stuff like texture size restrictions, estimates on polycounts, what kinds of animations are possible(bones or only vertex), etc.

I don't have any homebrew hardware yet and I'm not sure I will get it anytime soon(mostly I'd just be interested in getting a paint program onto my DS, which might not be worth the cost of all the hardware), but if it would enable me to actually work on a game with someone it'd be quite different. After all developing a small game for the DS would have a rather nice chance of getting to the finish line even if the team is only 2 people.

Hopefully someone here can enlighten me. Thanks.

chemical
August 13th, 2006, 23:13
Hey, i'm in the same boat as you on this, i'd love to get into making some DS homebrew, but im not much of a coder, i do have experiance in CG (maya, 3ds, etc.) and could do that side, from what i've seen so far, the games are largely 2D scrollers, but theres also been ports of 3D games like Quake, but I havent seen any games to the level of Quake or a official DS 3D game released in the homebrew scene, I don't know if its to do with capabilities or just that it hasnt been done yet, but I'd like to find out.

I'm not very interested in hours of coding, but I do enjoy the artistic side.