PDA

View Full Version : I figured I should ask the pros...

Talka1ot
August 14th, 2006, 08:12
Is DS modding really worth it?

If there is already a thread that will explain all of my answers, pardon me because I am new to these forums.

I'm not the most tech savvy guy, I can pass off as a nerd but I couldn't tell you why this Hard Drive is better than that one other than the fact this one has 20 more Gigs. So if I mod my DS and purchase an M3 SD/Passkey3, how much trouble do you think I will have to go through to get it to kick ohh so Much ass.

If I can get past that, with the hardware I'm purchasing, what is a good % of failure and chance that I will mess up my DS? Just wondering...

And I also have 2-3 questions about it that will be also appreciated.

If you could run or are running any OS on your modded DS, which do/did you choose?

How well do backed-up DS games work while being played through the m3/passkey?(You all know what I mean)

Is there a way to do simple internet tasks? Email, checking ESPN to see how much the Dodgers won by today etc? If so, link please!

Thanks for the help, mucho appreciated. This thread will probably be the deciding factor to if I order one tommorow or not with all of my birthday money.

The Hombrew Hunter
August 14th, 2006, 08:29
Passcard 3 and M3 can't damage your DS.

Only flashing it so you no longer NEED a passcard can hurt it.

Web and email and aim and MSN are coming soon.

DS games through M3 are AWESOME. Just look at the M3 Wiki (http://www.m3wiki.com/index.php?title=Main_Page) for compatibility lists.

You can run Linux...but I dunno how it is.

I answered 3, then 2, then 1.

ACID
August 14th, 2006, 10:01
Supercard Lite with the new key is awsome and no need for flashing eather plus it uses the super fast micro SD compare to the others.

The Hombrew Hunter
August 14th, 2006, 19:02
But it is EXTREMELY hard to remove from te slot.

Might as well go with whatever you want.

If you like GBA stuff, don't go with any form of supercard. They don't play GBA well.

Talka1ot
August 14th, 2006, 20:39
Yeah guys, thanks for the bit o' help.

I plan on getting the best if I'm going to do it, so at 100 dollars the SD M3 and the Passkey3 or whatever is what I'm getting. Now you made me think of a few more questions...

If mini SD is faster and better, should I get that over normal SD?

Will any of the Lite versions work on my standard DS Just incase I decided to get a lite sometime soon? If so, which is the best to get for a lite?

I heard about a Mac OS for DS, anybody know anything about that? I like macs, so having even an old OS on it would be cool.

Thanks again!

Quay Cur
August 14th, 2006, 22:48
...Will any of the Lite versions work on my standard DS Just incase I decided to get a lite sometime soon? If so, which is the best to get for a lite?

I heard about a Mac OS for DS, anybody know anything about that? I like macs, so having even an old OS on it would be cool...
I think this (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30975) is the Mac thing you're thinking of. It's the only thing like it that I've heard of.

The only flashcart on the market right now that fits flush with the DS Lite and can also be used in a regular DS and GBA (changable case) is a G6 Lite. The M3 Lite may have the changable cases too, but not much info has been released on it yet. I've seen August 15 and 20 for M3 Lite release dates. If you decide to get a G6 Lite don't order it from Divineo USA (http://www.divineo.com/cgi-bin/div-us/index.html). I preordered mine and the damn thing still hasn't shipped. Go for Divineo China (http://www.divineo.cn/cgi-bin/div-cn/index.html) or Real Hot Stuff (http://www.realhotstuff.com/).

Talka1ot
August 14th, 2006, 22:55
Actually I'm thinking of gettings this deal right here:

http://www.modchipman.com/m3-mini-sd-1gb-mini-sd-passcard-combo-p-1064.html?osCsid=78b78ea8a867239a889d2995ebd60a06

Good deal or no?

Quay Cur
August 14th, 2006, 23:02
^ not bad. don't know anything about that site, though.

Talka1ot
August 14th, 2006, 23:09
It's gotten good ratings, so I assume it should be fine.

And last question.

Say I legaly backup my Mario Kart DS game, and plut it on my card. Will I be able to play it wifi, and will it give me a different or the same friend code? If I use my friends will it be using his friend code?

Quay Cur
August 15th, 2006, 00:05
I heard of a problem with MK wifi, but I think that was only on Supercards, and it may have been fixed. It should run fine.

Not sure about that friend code thing. All I remember about it is that when I first used Mariokart DS and Metroid Prime: Hunters online it gave me this warning that said something like "this game card and DS will be paired, are you sure you want to do this." I've never tried using either of those games in another DS so I don't know what would happen. Oh, and all of that is with the actual game cards, not roms.

Talka1ot
August 15th, 2006, 01:57
Alright, I kind of get what you mean. If all else fails I will just purchase all the Wifi games anyways.

Thanks for the help, buying that 140 dollar bundle right now.

Talka1ot
August 16th, 2006, 05:02
My friend wants to know how well the SNES emulator works on the m3, if anybody knows. That is the deciding factor to if he gets it or not.

The Hombrew Hunter
August 16th, 2006, 06:25
What else does he want?

Talka1ot
August 16th, 2006, 07:10
What else does he want?

Just that.
He seemes almost nuts about getting Chrono Trigger on the DS (I don't like most RPGs so I don't really care for it, but he does!)

The Hombrew Hunter
August 16th, 2006, 16:28
Nothin' plays Chrono Trigger yet. Nothing supports HDMA yet. But Mode 7 is coming, HDMA might be next.

Depending on what he wants to get, the M3 is what plays Snezzi DS the best, to my memory...It's the only SNES for DS emu that's still being worked on.

Talka1ot
August 17th, 2006, 01:10
If I only understood what Mode 7 and that other thing were...

Is mode 7 the Star Fox XFS Chip or whatever? I'm not a man of the SNES generation, I was born before it by my parents held me cheep on the NES.

The Hombrew Hunter
August 17th, 2006, 02:16
I was born a while after. But no, Mode 7 is like water in SMW, and such.

I'm going to check out if Star Fox's FX chip is supported after a while. I waant it.

Quay Cur
August 17th, 2006, 02:41
Wikipedia has everything.

From their article on Mode 7 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mode_7):

The term Mode 7 originated on the Super NES video game console, on which it describes a simple texture mapping graphics mode that allows a background layer to be rotated and scaled. By modifying the scaling and positioning of the layer on a scanline-by-scanline basis a simple perspective effect can be applied, transforming the layer into a 2D horizontal texture-mapped plane that trades height for depth.

Mode 7-style rendering is generally used on systems with strong 2D capabilities but no dedicated 3D support. Classic Mode 7 games include the Super NES titles Secret of Mana, F-Zero and Super Mario Kart. The effect was later revisited in the Game Boy Advance incarnations F-Zero and Super Mario Kart.

There's a screenshot in the article that will explain it if you didn't get it. Hunter, I don't think Mode 7 was actually used in Super Mario World.

The Hombrew Hunter
August 17th, 2006, 02:56
Hmm, I'm thinkin' of sommin' else.

I remember mode seven! Mode seven I believe is ALSO used in Chrono Trigger, when you're on the bike.

SMK is when you're driving, the landscape is Mode 7...Secret of mana, when you see the world on Flammie or aftr being shot outta a cannon.

Quay Cur
August 17th, 2006, 03:03
Yeah, I remember when I first saw Mode 7 used in a game. It was Super Mario Kart and it blew my mind. Ha, then I tried to play it and couldn't. I still suck at it :)

nubbard
August 17th, 2006, 03:12
Yea, I'm just waiting until they release a version of Snezzi that supports SMW, SMRPG, and Super Metroid. At the least.

The Hombrew Hunter
August 17th, 2006, 04:01
SMW IS supported. Quite well, too.

SMRPG will be sweeeeeeeeeet.

nubbard
August 17th, 2006, 04:04
Hmm....guess I should look into that a bit more. Thx for the info!