PDA

View Full Version : Game-only UK TV channel confirmed

wraggster
August 26th, 2010, 19:13
The UK's first TV channel entirely devoted to videogaming will launch this November.

The service will be known as Ginx, and will be "fully distributed on cable and satellite TV."

"For us it's about light gamers," said CEO Michiel Bakker at the Edinburgh Interactive Festival this morning (as attended by sister site Eurogamer.net).

Ginx will initially focus on game reviews, but will expand to include documentary and feature content, such as gaming sports stars and the videogame proclivities of soldiers.

Bakker also claimed that Ginx will consider moving to high definition and 3D broadcasting in the future.

"The Ginx channel is going to be an evolution rather than an overnight revolution," Bakker said.

"Is it a good TV show to watch people play games? Does that make for good TV? If it does we'll do it. If it doesn't we won't."

Ginx already produces the UK's most popular videogame show GameFace, which launched in August 2009 on Bravo.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2010-08-26-game-only-uk-tv-channel-confirmed

Awesome news lets hope they cover the Retro and Homebrew arena too.

symbal
August 26th, 2010, 23:46
I'm sure i remember some videogame channels a few year ago, anyway i'll bet this starts off as gaming only, then within 6 months you get babestation at night and teleshopping through a lot of hours, and 18-24 months it gets cancelled or replaced. I mean there's just no market for a channel like this when you got countless web channels.

Sonny_Jim
August 27th, 2010, 15:16
Hmm, so how is the channel going to be objective in any way if it relies on selling adverts to keep itself in business?

Gone are the days of C+VG, Mean Machines where you'd actually get an unbiased review, I miss Jazza....