PDA

View Full Version : Sony gets their 50GB dual-layer Blu-ray discs out the door

wraggster
August 16th, 2006, 16:28
Well, they missed their June launch plans by a couple of months, but Sony has finally managed to ship their 50GB Blu-ray discs to a doting public. Just as expected, the discs are going for that $48 slap-in-the-face of a pricetag, and you'll still be better off buying a pair of 25 giggers, or a few DVDs if you're looking for price-per-gigabyte. But if you've gotsa have the latest and greatest, or just would like to find something nifty to do with that new Blu-ray drive of yours, it doesn't get much hotter than 2x 50GB discs with AccuCORE protection. Sony is still promising rewriteables for later in the year -- these discs are just write-once -- and we're guessing prices won't stay so lethal forever.

Video_freak
August 16th, 2006, 16:30
50 GB could pretty much replace my HDD. :)
$48 is $1 per GB, you may want to go to HD-DVDs...

SSaxdude
August 16th, 2006, 17:24
Wow, I bought a 50 pack of DVD+R a week ago for $10. That's more than 200 gb of storeage for $10. The only advantage to this is that it's on one disc.
I can't imagine how p'oed someone who bought one of these might feel if they didn't burn it right (since they're not rewritable.)

BTW, I saw one Sony computer at Best Buy at had a Blu-Ray player (maybe writer?) and it cost $2500.

mavsman4457
August 17th, 2006, 01:41
Blu-Ray discs are going to reduce the prices of hard drives, memory cards, and dvd's. This is great news.

stotheamuel
August 17th, 2006, 03:39
will go down in time

markymark1
August 17th, 2006, 09:41
Personally i dont think that $48 (about £27 in real money :p ) is worth it.
At the min i think that normal dvd's have very good quality and there isnt anything wrong with them...dont get me wrong, im not some old bloke that doesnt like technology but i think it is going to have to fight for its place alot more, especially if the ps3 doesnt take off as well as expected.

Just a question like....how much are HD DVD discs? never thought really.

ACID
August 17th, 2006, 09:48
Blu-Ray discs are going to reduce the prices of hard drives, memory cards, and dvd's. This is great news.
I totaly agree. And the Spurs rule:D

V3N0M
August 17th, 2006, 09:57
Yep out with the old in with the new. But it is good tho as it will reduce the price of many other things and will be much cheaper in a few years.

dejkirkby
August 17th, 2006, 10:51
I totaly agree. And the Spurs rule:D
Oh no they bloody don't!!! Blackburn Rovers walk all over them!

Back to the point, This is just another slap in the face by the Sony money making machine. First they won't lower the price of PSP's in the light of an ass-whooping by DS. Then they release that Signature PSP shit and now 27 notes for a Blu-Ray.
Come on $ony, pull your finger out your ass and return to being the company that revolutionised the console world ten years ago. Be innovative again, for crying out loud!