PDA

View Full Version : Transfering files to your PSP Memory Stick

ACID
August 16th, 2006, 17:34
Here's How:

1. Insert a Memory Stick into the Memory Stick slot in the left side of the PSP. Depending on how many files you want it to hold, you may need to get a larger one than the stick that came with your system.

2. Turn on the PSP.

3. Plug a USB cable into the back of the PSP and into your PC or Mac. The USB cable needs to have a Mini-B connector on one end (this plugs into the PSP), and a standard USB connector on the other (this plugs into the computer).

4. Scroll to the "Settings" icon on the home menu of your PSP.

5. Find the "USB Connection" icon in the "Settings" menu. Press the X button. Your PSP will display the words "USB Mode" and your PC or Mac will recognize it as a USB storage device.

6. Create a folder called "PSP" on the PSP Memory Stick (if there isn't one already) -- it shows up as "Portable Storage Device" or something similar -- (you can use Windows Explorer on a PC, or Finder on a Mac). There should also be a folder called "MP_ROOT" (not inside the "PSP" folder).

7. Create folders called "PHOTO" and "MUSIC" inside the "PSP" folder. There should also be a folder called "100MNV01" inside the "MP_ROOT" folder.

8. Drag and drop files into the folders just as you would save files in another folder on your computer. Image files go in the "PHOTO" folder, audio files go in the "MUSIC" folder, and video files go in the "100MNV01" folder.

9. Disconnect your PSP by first clicking on "Safely Remove Hardware" on the bottom menu bar of a PC, or by "ejecting" the drive on the Mac (drag the icon into the trash). Then unplug the USB cable and press the circle button to return to the home menu.

Tips:
1. Image files compatible with firmware version 2.00 or higher are jpeg, tiff, gif, png and bmp.
2. Audio files compatible with firmware version 2.60 or higher are MP3, ATRAC3plus, MP4, WAV and WMA.
3. Video files compatible with firmware version 1.50 or higher are MPEG-4 (MP4/AVC).
4. PSPs with older firmware versions won't recognize all file types. Use the tutorial linked below to find out which firmware version you have, and check the firmware profiles to see what file formats it can use.

What You Will Need:
a PSP
a computer
a Memory Stick Duo or Pro Duo
a USB cable with a Mini-B connector on one end
:D

Video_freak
August 16th, 2006, 17:36
Thanks Acidburn for the tutorial. Its very helpful. I'm pretty sure newbs know how to connect their PSPs to a computer though...
It's great that you added the video folders though.

CalvinDu
August 16th, 2006, 17:43
Heh, I got a new 2 gig memory stick about a few months ago, at first I thought I'd knew exactly what to do to put the files in the MS properly. But I then realized that I was clueless.

I got my PSP about a month after release so I'd pretty much forgotten what to do with a new MS.

I'm sure this Tut will be helpful.

ACID
August 16th, 2006, 17:44
Thanks no pro and video you will be surpirse of the pms asking me how to connect the psp to the pc

The EX
August 16th, 2006, 17:45
cool, good for the n00bs lol!