PDA

View Full Version : Core gamers pigeonholed as killers - Kudo

wraggster
September 6th, 2010, 20:09
In a recent interview with CVG Microsoft's Kinect maestro, Kudo Tsunoda, put on his philosophers hat and addressed the Core vs Casual gamer dichotomy.

When asked how he would respond to comments from core gamers regarding the lack of 'hardcore' games for Kinect, Tsunoda took the opportunity to wax philosophical on the definition of 'core gamer'.

Although he didn't address whether gamers will ever get to play Gears or Halo with Kinect, he did get Sonic into his well-reasoned argument, saying that gamers are being "pigeonholed" as people who just want to kill things.

"To me, It's funny because everyone always has a different definition of 'core gamer'. I think somehow core gamers all-of-a-sudden got almost pigeonholed as people who only want to kill people," he said.

Tsunoda pointed out an interesting change in how a game is perceived and identified as 'core' or 'casual' today, illustrating his point with Sonic:

"If you think about a game like Sonic the Hedgehog, in the old days, would you say Sonic was a core game or a casual game? It's a mix between both. There isn't some complicated set of controls to learn but it has all the gameplay skill and depth."

"If we'd never heard of Sonic the Hedgehog and we were talking about Kinect and I'm like 'we've got this awesome game, you're this little blue hedgehog and you're running around collecting golden rings' you'd be like 'that's not a core game, where are the games for the core?', and yet Sonic was a core game," he argued.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=263240?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS