PDA

View Full Version : Hombrew Hunter's DS Homebrew and Emulation FAQ!

The Hombrew Hunter
August 17th, 2006, 09:04
Alright, I've seen WAY too many people get their money stolen by Datel. So I'm making a guide to help people with homebrew choices, so they can TRULY use their devices to their max potential.

Here it is.

Hombrew Hunter's Guide to Homebrew!
1. Introduction to Homebrew
2. Flash Cards
3. Passme's and other alternatives
4. Good homebrew apps and games

\1. Introduction to Homebrew/

What is homebrew?
Homebrew is an application or game made by oneself, generally not used for sale.

What can Homebrew do?
Homebrew can vary from a video player, mp3 player, picture viewer, games, or even an emulator for an older game!

How can I use Homebrew?
On DS, you'll need a flash cart and a Passme device.

\2. Flash Cards/

What is a Flash Card?
A flash card is a cartridge that can read Compact Flash, Secure Digital, Mini Secure Digital, or Micro Secure Digital cards, OR run off of internal memory and run programs on the memory..

What are some good flash cards?
A good flash card is the M3, which comes in 3 flavors, Compact Flash, Secure Digital, and Mini Secure Digital cards. Also, there is the G6, which runs off of internal memory, 512 MB. If you don't care for GBA, the Supercard has good NDS support, and mediocre GBA support. The Supercard can handle all the above cards AND Micro SD, whihc is for the DS lite. But watch out, there are FAKE Supercard SD types...There are threads pointing them out, could someone post one?

Are there any cards I should stay away from?
The max media dock AND player are wastes of money, don't run things very well, and have crappy support for WHATEVER it does. The GBAMP is okay-ish, but go with one of the above advised cards.

How can I use some of the above-mentioned cards?
Well, I only have experience with the M3, but depending on what you want to do, you just copy homebrews and applications onto the media card. For roms of GBA and NDS, you open the M3 software and click on either "Write NDS" or "Write GBA". When you click on one, you locate the rom you want to convert, use the leftmost box to locate to your CF card and where you WANT the rom to go, and then click certain settings for the rom. NDS compatibility list can be found here (http://www.m3wiki.com/index.php?title=M3_NDS_roms), while the GBA compatibility list is here (http://www.m3wiki.com/index.php?title=M3_gba_roms).

Acidburn05 wrote this awesome supercard lite tutorial!

What you need:
Nintendo DS Lite
Supercard Lite With Super Key or PassMe 3
Micro SD Card

First thing to do before anything
Load the latest firmware From thie site-- ( http://eng.supercard.cn/soft_scl.htm )
Load it to the Micro card and select it on the menu. It will upgrade to the latest firmware (1.63)
Then you need to use the MicrosdV255 to set up for converting your NDS & GBA roms. It will guid you step by step.

How to PLAY in GBA Mode:-

Press L+R+A+SELECT while you are playing a game so you can backup the save on your Micro SD card. Save will be auto reload after you play the game again.
OR
Press L+R+B+SELECT while you are playing a game to save in REAL-TIME mode. You have to first start the rom, then repress L+R+B+SELECT to load the save game.

To watch movie on GBA

1. Download the movie player software and unzip it, store it into Micro SD. Store your movie file(.gbs .gbm) into Micro SD too.
2. In the Micro SD main menu, select the movie player software and press A, you can enter movie player main menu, and then select the first menu press A, and you can find the movie file(.gbs .gbm), and then press A too, you can enjoy your movie now.

To read E-book? listen Music? view PIC

1. Download the movie player software and unzip it, store it intoMicro SD . Store your Txt file, Music files and Image files into Micro SD too.
2. In the SC main menu, select the movie player software and press A, you can enter movie player main menu. 3. Now, You can enter the menu and enjoy your E-book, Music and Images just by press A.

Can someone explain the G6? I will also put that up here.

What's the difference between CF and the SD cards?
The CF has slightly better support and is cheaper, and the SDs are much faster and smaller. Choose your weapon(s).

\3. Passme's and other alternatives/

What is a Passme?
A passme allows you to run flashcards in NDS mode, in turn allowing them to load .nds files.

I've seen a lot of Passme's, which should I get?
It depends. The Passcard 3rd Generation is made by the makers of G6 and M3, and the Superkey is by the Supercard creators. They are both DS cart sized and cross compatible, so pick either.

I've heard of the Ninjapass, what's that?
Well, the Ninjapass is a passme that has small amounts of data space on it to store NDS roms, the biggest size is 128mb.

Acidburn05 has a quick little guide for the Ninjapass:
They come in 512mbit = 64MB & 1gbit =128MB and theres two kinds.

It is a first Direct Boot Up and real size flash storage device of the DS & DSL . Therefor it is a first real DS Flasher of the world .

Ninjapass for the Nintendo DS and DS Lite is the perfect solution for accessing DS media from any GBA flash storage device. Simply snap in the Ninjapass dsflash cartridge, and that's it ! Media, freeware, executables and other files stored on your flash card can be launched. The Flash Cart revolutionized the GBA Homebrew scene, and with Ninjapass dsflash , it will do for the DS too.

Ninjapass Media Launcher Invincible Boot Up Solution is compatible with most types of flash cards including all G6 Family , all SuperCard Family , all EZ Family , all M3 Family , ...

And Ninjapass dsflash Build - in 128Mbit / 256Mbit / 512Mbit / 1Gbit memory , let you to run the DS Homebrew rom direct from DS slot and don't need any GBA flash storage device . Ninjapass Build - in 2MB memory , therefore Ninjapass DsFlash Compatible with most the game save (4k , 64k . 2M).

Ninjapass Built in Multi-game menu and passcard function , so you can make your Multi game or passcard to boot up your other GBA flash storage device from the GBA slot or direct play your ds rom from the DS slot .

This version Ninjapass DS Flash Jr. without the Multi-game Function

Instructions:
- Go to ninjapass.com
- Click on downloads
- Download the ninjapass software
- To unzip the software you will need some tool to unzip rar files
- Unzip rar file
- Plug in drive and wait for windows to say new hardware is installed (this will only happen once)
- Stick nds flash cart into drive
- Start up software and follow instructions found on ninjapass.ds to burn or transfer your DS rom (Clean rom need) to the Ninjapass card .

What are the "alternatives"?
Well, the best known alternative is Flashme, but you need to open your console and solder some things before it will install. You'll need a passme to install it though, but you can recover the firmware if your DS becomes bricked.

\4. Good homebrew apps and games/

What is a good movie/mp3 player?
Moonshell. You need to convert movies to the DPG format, which you should use something called "DPG Convert" and look at CPU Smarts' DPG Converter Settings for best results. They are listed here (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30696).

What is a fun game?
Well, there's an RPG called Tales of Dagur that is very fun, also, look for Lupidan's Zelda Platformer. It's only a demo now, but it's still very cool.

What should I use to play NES, SNES, etc...
For SNES, use Snezzi DS. NES, look for NesDS (Rewinding for another life is cool.). Genesis? Picodrive DS. SMS/GG? Look for the GBA emu called DrSMS. For GB/GBC, try GoomBA and GoomBA Colour (GBA).

That's it for now. If you think I missed anything, post it and I will affix it into this post. Also, if you need something explained, post the question and I will do my best to explain it, and if you feel something wasn't explained enough, tell me and I'll update it.

Signed with hope that you don't get ripped by Datel,
The Hombrew Hunter

Kramer
August 17th, 2006, 09:09
nice guide but you should change the title to
Hombrew Hunter's Guide to DS Homebrew
just so people know you know lol

The Hombrew Hunter
August 17th, 2006, 09:12
Right, gonna do that now, thanks, hehe.

Well homebrew and emulation on DS is the new title.

xzerox
August 17th, 2006, 14:45
hey probobly Iam gonna gave this a try

The Hombrew Hunter
August 17th, 2006, 17:40
Glad I could help!

metroplex2k7
August 17th, 2006, 17:53
I do agree with you Double H, but the Max Media Dock is a little better than the player, it does play movies good, music good, NDS Roms good, and NES and SNES are ok. True it's not as good as the M3 or G6, but I'm just saying that it's not worst thing out there.

ACID
August 17th, 2006, 17:59
Great job home brew. I think if possible you should add the way to use the 3 big name cards you know how to get started with them the M3 , G6 & Super card Lite. Just a thought then they can sticky this.

nice guide but you should change the title to
Hombrew Hunter's Guide to DS Homebrew
just so people know you know lol
I agree this title is better and lets know of your knowledge.

Video_freak
August 17th, 2006, 18:01
Thanks for the guide Homebrew Hunter. :)

The Hombrew Hunter
August 17th, 2006, 18:01
Yeah, the worst thign out there is the Movie Player V1 =P

Double H? That's new. I was expecting THH. But still cool.

Good idea Acid, I'll put that in now. But, you have a supercard, right? Could you write, in another post, how to use it? I only have experience with M3.

No problem Video_freak.

ACID
August 17th, 2006, 18:07
Yeah, the worst thign out there is the Movie Player V1 =P

Double H? That's new. I was expecting THH. But still cool.

Good idea Acid, I'll put that in now. But, you have a supercard, right? Could you write, in another post, how to use it? I only have experience with M3.

No problem Video_freak.
I have to go to sleep soon but before work ill put everything together for you. for the supercard lite. I just think that what you posted with the info of the 3 biggest names of cards will be a great sticky and help to all the noobs. I will also make one for the ninjapass

The Hombrew Hunter
August 17th, 2006, 18:13
Sounds good, I will put them up there after the quote "Acidburn05 told me..."
And list it all.

I'll also add Ninjapass under Passme's up there.

What sizes do they come in?

chemical
August 17th, 2006, 19:16
Great guide THH, This should be stickied as it'll help all the newcomers as soon as they visit the board, and stop the max media posts, I read through and its very well set out, I know the stuff in the post already, but only because you've told me in my other posts :-P

The Hombrew Hunter
August 17th, 2006, 19:18
Yuuuuup.

I hope it's stickied. I hate Datel for making the Dock and Player...wasting much time and money, and mostly minds.

Woo I am TEH THH!

ACID
August 17th, 2006, 19:43
Sounds good, I will put them up there after the quote "Acidburn05 told me..."
And list it all.

I'll also add Ninjapass under Passme's up there.

What sizes do they come in?
They come in 512mbit = 64MB & 1gbit =128MB and theres two kinds.

It is a first Direct Boot Up and real size flash storage device of the DS & DSL . Therefor it is a first real DS Flasher of the world .

Ninjapass for the Nintendo DS and DS Lite is the perfect solution for accessing DS media from any GBA flash storage device. Simply snap in the Ninjapass dsflash cartridge, and that's it ! Media, freeware, executables and other files stored on your flash card can be launched. The Flash Cart revolutionized the GBA Homebrew scene, and with Ninjapass dsflash , it will do for the DS too.

Ninjapass Media Launcher Invincible Boot Up Solution is compatible with most types of flash cards including all G6 Family , all SuperCard Family , all EZ Family , all M3 Family , ...

And Ninjapass dsflash Build - in 128Mbit / 256Mbit / 512Mbit / 1Gbit memory , let you to run the DS Homebrew rom direct from DS slot and don't need any GBA flash storage device . Ninjapass Build - in 2MB memory , therefore Ninjapass DsFlash Compatible with most the game save (4k , 64k . 2M).

Ninjapass Built in Multi-game menu and passcard function , so you can make your Multi game or passcard to boot up your other GBA flash storage device from the GBA slot or direct play your ds rom from the DS slot .

This version Ninjapass DS Flash Jr. without the Multi-game Function

Instructions:
- Go to ninjapass.com
- Click on downloads
- Download the ninjapass software
- To unzip the software you will need some tool to unzip rar files
- Unzip rar file
- Plug in drive and wait for windows to say new hardware is installed (this will only happen once)
- Stick nds flash cart into drive
- Start up software and follow instructions found on ninjapass.ds to burn or transfer your DS rom (Clean rom need) to the Ninjapass card .

The Hombrew Hunter
August 17th, 2006, 20:03
It's there. When can we get a Supercard Lite tutorial?

And anyone with the G6 willing to write a tutorial for us?

ACID
August 17th, 2006, 20:08
It's there. When can we get a Supercard Lite tutorial?

And anyone with the G6 willing to write a tutorial for us?
Im working on the supercard lite tutorial now its prety much the same process as the supercard but with some changes ill let you know when im done.

The Hombrew Hunter
August 17th, 2006, 20:12
Alright, thanks much!

The Hombrew Hunter
August 17th, 2006, 23:46
Got it yet?

(Sorry for the double of posting)

Junixx
August 18th, 2006, 00:51
Nice guide THH, i would make a GBAMPv2 guide but since no one really uses it, i dont see a reason to unless someone wanted one. The only complaint i have about the GBAMP really is it doesnt play GBA/NDS backups, although it has really good homebew support

The Hombrew Hunter
August 18th, 2006, 01:32
I...see.

You should upgrade to M3.

Junixx
August 18th, 2006, 01:37
I...see.

You should upgrade to M3.

I'm working on it lol

The Hombrew Hunter
August 18th, 2006, 05:11
Well, soon, we're waiting for a supercard lite and g6 tutorial, but I know acid's on the job for supercard :D

Anyone here have a G6?

Quay Cur
August 18th, 2006, 06:06
^ I should on saturday. If I have the time for it I'll try to get something together. Don't hold your breath, though :)

Edit: There's always this (http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=34239) in the meantime. It's definitely the best review I've seen of the G6 Lite so far.

The Hombrew Hunter
August 18th, 2006, 07:16
Good, I'll be back sunday.

So maybe...I hoping so.

ACID
August 18th, 2006, 22:02
Well, soon, we're waiting for a supercard lite and g6 tutorial, but I know acid's on the job for supercard :D

Anyone here have a G6?
Sorry it took so long i had to work late. but here it is.

The Hombrew Hunter
August 19th, 2006, 03:11
Thanks man.

I'll be adding it now.

ACID
August 19th, 2006, 08:38
No problem

The Hombrew Hunter
August 20th, 2006, 19:03
Well, let's all hope we get a Sticky.

ACID
August 20th, 2006, 19:05
I dont see why not its going to have all the new cards and all your instructions its like 4 stickys in to one.

The Hombrew Hunter
August 21st, 2006, 06:22
M3 owners, I am adding the recent Firmware and Game Manager softwares!

Great for FF3.

The Hombrew Hunter
August 21st, 2006, 21:43
Are we allowed to request for stickies?

Junixx
August 23rd, 2006, 05:50
I think this should be stickied, it would help

The Hombrew Hunter
August 23rd, 2006, 17:54
I updated the guide a little, but nothing too much to notice.

The Hombrew Hunter
August 26th, 2006, 21:47
Sorry for the double post, but we need a G6 user's guide. Can anyone contribute?

ACID
August 26th, 2006, 22:05
I thought you sayd you had one. I will give it a go.

pasteurized
August 27th, 2006, 04:12
Great tutorial, I wanted trick out my DS but didn't find a good place where all the information was together so this post is really helpful :)

Quick question tho:

I saw on a DS Homebrew tutorial that red DS's couldn't do Homebrew?

Is this true or do I just need the Lite Passcards?

ACID
August 27th, 2006, 04:37
It does homebrew but not to the caliber of the PSP.

The Hombrew Hunter
August 27th, 2006, 04:59
STOP BRAGGING ABOUT THE DAMN PSP!

THIS IS NOT THE DAMN PSP FORUMS!

*hyperventilating*

Crimson_Lotus
August 27th, 2006, 06:04
I have both... recently the PSP has been getting more buzz but I got the DS for this reason...

ACID
August 27th, 2006, 06:50
STOP BRAGGING ABOUT THE DAMN PSP!

THIS IS NOT THE DAMN PSP FORUMS!

*hyperventilating*
Relax my friend im not braging he asked a question and i stated the fact. I have bougth and love bouth. But the fact is bright as the sun. And im not taking anithing away from the NDS. Actually its the only one that can play GBA games perfectly.:eek:

Junixx
August 29th, 2006, 05:59
*cough* *bump*

The Hombrew Hunter
September 1st, 2006, 13:13
Okay, we need a G6 Tutorial and a WiFiMe tutorial.

Anyone up for either?

Come on, we need to keep the guide updated.

andysjones
September 1st, 2006, 13:55
I saw a WiFi me tutorial earlier.

**searches**

got it. Here http://www.aaronrogers.com/nintendods/wifime.php

Blacksand
September 2nd, 2006, 18:23
anyone working on an M3 guide for emulation of SNES, Genesis or Mame? And heres a bump.

The Hombrew Hunter
September 2nd, 2006, 19:10
I'll work on it. Testing SNES now. I can tell you Genesis.

The Hombrew Hunter
September 4th, 2006, 00:41
Guide Update!

Changed NES reccomendation(s). Removed Pocketnes.

G6 tutorial, guys!

Mr_Biggs
September 9th, 2006, 19:17
i already made a review for M3 SD:

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=153564#post153564

i might be able to turn it into a guide if that's cool.

The Hombrew Hunter
September 9th, 2006, 19:19
Sure!

JKKDARK
September 9th, 2006, 19:37
The Hombrew Hunter: Thank you, your FAQ is very useful. Great job ;)

ACID
September 18th, 2006, 18:08
HH the new SNES emulator works with G6 , M3 , SC and EZ

~Tidus~
September 20th, 2006, 21:34
I have heard homebrew can be dodgy. do you reccommend homebrew. On youtube.com i saw a video of a n64 game on the DS through the process of homebrew. is this possable?

The Hombrew Hunter
September 20th, 2006, 22:02
No, yes, and no. In that order.

graykyle
October 19th, 2006, 22:39
Thanks a lot for the very thorough guide. Unfortunately I'm slow to learn in modding/homebrew or whatever you may call this but I have a few questions:

1. I just need a flashcard and it's appropriate storage type if I want to emulate old games and such?
2. And I need the Passme to run NDS backups?
3. Or do I need the Passme to be able to use the flashcard?
4. What is the average size of DS games when you back them up, what size cards do people usually use to load all of this up with?

I think that is it. Thanks for the work that has been done, and thanks for the responses in advance.

-Kyle

Mourningstar
October 22nd, 2006, 02:58
Heres a good G6 tutorial....

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=36554

troid
November 17th, 2006, 02:42
[QUOTE]What's the difference between CF and the SD cards?The CF has slightly better support and is cheaper, and the SDs are much faster and smaller. Choose your weapon(s).

sry if this is a noob question, but what is support?

ps you asked what the threads to pointing out fake supercard SD types.

http://eng.supercard.cn/fake.htm

kcajblue
November 17th, 2006, 06:31
support = compatability

troid
November 20th, 2006, 22:42
thanks for the guide HH

CliChé Guevara
February 23rd, 2007, 14:15
hi everyone...
i'm sure you get real sick of n00bs asking easy questions, but i'm so clueless that all the advice on the forum has confused me further...

so please bear with me and humour my simple mind :)

as far as i understand it:
-i can buy a supercard for slot 2, but will also need a superkey/passme/whatever it's called, (which goes in slot 1?)
-or i can get a new fangled slot 1 device, and will not need a key/pass thingy

am i right?

if so, this is what's confusing me:
my friend bought a Supercard rumble lite thing for slot 2, and is managing to play games without having a superkey/pascard...

sorry, i'm probably getting all the terms wrong
but i think you get what i'm saying

any help would be much apprieciated
:)

DanTheManMS
February 24th, 2007, 04:16
Your information is correct. Your friend most likely installed FlashMe, which is a replacement firmware you can install once you have the ability to launch homebrew DS files. This firmware, among other things, boots the DS directly from the slot-2 card in DS mode without the need for a passthrough device. I find it very handy myself.

CliChé Guevara
February 24th, 2007, 16:25
ah, ok
thank you for curing my confusion! :)

again, i'm sorry for bombarding you with questions but....

am i right in thinking that if i get a slot 2 device, i'll need to 'patch' games first
but if i get a slot 1 device i won't need to...
?

if so... what is 'patching'!?

i really have no idea what that word means...

thank you all for any help...

acn010
February 24th, 2007, 16:41
interesting.....

DanTheManMS
February 24th, 2007, 19:15
Hm, not really supposed to talk about commercial game piracy here, sorry. You are correct though. Slot-2 cards will require patching.

Homebrew (unofficial code) does not require patching for either slot-1 or slot-2 devices.

CliChé Guevara
February 24th, 2007, 21:50
oh ok, i didn't realise that only pirated games needed to be patched
nuff said

errr... one more question (sorry :) )
there's obviously no straight forward answer for this one, but...
should i get the 'M3 simply' or the 'R4 revolution'?
i'm not sure if there are any significant differences...

oh, and where's the cheapest, most reliable place to buy one?

...i realise that was two questions, haha

thanks for your help

and if i'm getting annoying, just tell me
:)

DanTheManMS
February 24th, 2007, 21:58
The R4 and M3 Simply are actually almost the same products, and they're made by the same basic company. In fact, when the first ones came out, you could convert between them by soldering or desoldering some pads on the chip. Newer versions have disabled this, but they are still essentially the same product. Go with whichever one you want.

For shops, I personally recommend www.realhotstuff.com but there are other stores with good deals. Try the Retailer Feedback section of the GBAdev.com forums for some ideas.

CliChé Guevara
February 24th, 2007, 22:23
ok, cool.
thank you for being so helpful!

on a totally unrelated note:
i'm hearing month-old rumours that Earthworm Jim is coming to the DS!

if this isn't true, i'll probably cry like a teething baby...

Black Fenix
March 11th, 2007, 20:56
I'm new to all the homebrew for the DS, but I know about PSP homebrew.

So if I buy M3 I can use my PSP memcard (4Gig)

What else will I need?

Please help:)

DanTheManMS
March 11th, 2007, 23:58
I wasn't aware that the PSP accepted normal media cards. I thought you had to buy special, expensive PSP "memory stick duo" cards or something along those lines. If this is true, then no you will not be able to use them for your DS.

Also, which version of the M3 do you mean? Slot 1 or slot 2? What do you wish to do with your DS (this question will help determine which slot you should buy your product for)

Black Fenix
March 12th, 2007, 12:01
I would like to have homebrew, and also play backups of my DS games, am not much bothered about GBA games.

DanTheManMS
March 13th, 2007, 02:14
You'd probably want an M3 Simply then, which fits in slot-1. You will most likely need to buy another media card, but after that you should have all you need.

kcajblue
March 13th, 2007, 02:16
and please dont talk about roms.

Black Fenix
March 13th, 2007, 10:42
Would I need a supercard?

Black Fenix
March 13th, 2007, 13:30
Is this what I need?

http://www.gameyeeeah.com/product_info.php?products_id=34{2}6

I have NDS Lite

DanTheManMS
March 14th, 2007, 03:31
The one you linked to is a slot-2 device. If you do not care about GBA support at all, a slot-1 device would be much cheaper. You wouldn't need to buy a passcard then, as the slot-1 device will have one built-in. The card called "M3 Simply" is one such device.

Black Fenix
March 14th, 2007, 11:57
Thank you for all your help.

One last question.
Where is the most reliable place to buy the m3 simply?

DanTheManMS
March 14th, 2007, 22:09
I personally prefer RealHotStuff since their customer support is outstanding, prices are comparable to other shops, and shipping is usually very fast and cheap.

I would also suggest checking out the "Retailer Feedback" section of http://forum.gbadev.org
Keep in mind that some of these stores are for GBA equipment only, but many sell DS supplies as well.

Black Fenix
March 14th, 2007, 22:48
Thanks I would rep you if I Could find where the rep buttons is.