PDA

View Full Version : The Wii with Projectors

tzp2gameknight
August 17th, 2006, 14:31
So I recently purchased a projector for my dorm room and it struck me today that I don't know how I will use the Wii in tandem with the projector. Any idea how this is done? The only thing I could think of was to put the bar in front of the projection (on the wall) and make it reference from there. Has anyone tackeled this problem yet?

bbads
August 17th, 2006, 16:49
I havn't really thought about that yet, but I don't see why that wouldn't work. The bar is just for the wand.

Although it may be tough to have the bar infront of the screen if the projector is far away because I'm assuming it plugs into the console which also has to connect to the projector. You may need a long component cable to your projector.

Dee-Lite
August 17th, 2006, 17:23
Simple mate, you have to set up ur Wii near your projector unit- it's all going to be a matter of how long are the cables you get with the Wii though! I imagine, if you are fixing ur projector to the ceiling that you will have to make a shelf nearby on the wall for the Wii to sit on. A much better and simpler solution is what my friend has done with his xb360- he has carved out a hole in the wall and his projector sits in that- it looks sweet man but it's been done to a high quality though- you will to know what you're doing if you were going to attempt this! If you go down this route, it will be easier for you to place your Wii nearby and even hide the cabling (which you wont be able to do if you mount projector to ceiling!)

So next issue:- The sensor must sit below the projected image, then you just treat your picture on the wall as the screen and forget about you have a Projector sitting behind you. To highlight, the issue that will stop you from being able to do this is this- Will the sensor attachment have a long enough cable for you to trail from your Wii (which is near the projector) to sit under your projected image? If not, i'm sure it will only be a matter of time until a sensor with longer cable is available to purchase. I imagine Ninty have thought about this and that the sesor cable will hopefully be faily long, but if your planning on having a 10ft picture on your wall with the projector sitting 15ft away, then forget it in terms of getting the sensor in the right place! Hope this answers your question mate nice1

tzp2gameknight
August 17th, 2006, 18:11
That's what I thought, just wanted to double check though. Thanks a lot!

Quay Cur
August 17th, 2006, 23:20
I don't know about this, I had heard (i think on kotaku) that the wii is going to have problems with projection tv's. I don't know if they meant rear-projection tv's or in your case a projector hitting a screen.

Also heard something about a certain type of light bulb affecting the controllers. HID maybe, but I'm probably wrong.

Dee-Lite
August 18th, 2006, 12:10
I don't know about this, I had heard (i think on kotaku) that the wii is going to have problems with projection tv's. I don't know if they meant rear-projection tv's or in your case a projector hitting a screen.

Also heard something about a certain type of light bulb affecting the controllers. HID maybe, but I'm probably wrong.

Again, I think Ninty have probably already thought about all this. As long as the screen supports the resolution, I don't think there will be any problems (fingers crossed).
I mainly feel sorry for people that will av to try and play on a 16" screen with the wii mote. I have a 16" in my bedroom, but a 42" downstairs, so will have to permanantly set it up there I guess rather than in my room where my wireless internet connection lurks and allnite gaming is had!

Quay Cur
August 18th, 2006, 16:47
^ i'm actually using the wii as an excuse to get a new tv, something i've been wanting to do for a few years. the one in my room is a 19" and the screen is doing that discoloration thing that happens if a magnet gets near it, except there haven't been any magnets near it. i'm looking at either a 24" or 27".

the 27" says it supports 480i and i remember nintendo saying the wii will support it, too. anyone here think the difference between that and a good s-video cable on the 24" would be enough to warrant spending $70 more?

ljc39
November 21st, 2006, 11:30
So I recently purchased a projector for my dorm room and it struck me today that I don't know how I will use the Wii in tandem with the projector. Any idea how this is done? The only thing I could think of was to put the bar in front of the projection (on the wall) and make it reference from there. Has anyone tackled this problem yet?

Hi everyone

I've just ordered the wii here in the UK, I currently have the XB360 connected to a projector, and my thoughts are that, I'll site the console near my AV amp plug the component and audio cables in too the amp and let the amp deal with all the video switching and audio, then just place the sensor below the screen, should work fine.

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/2145/dsc0225vv8.jpg