PDA

View Full Version : PSP Review by Wraggster

wraggster
January 29th, 2005, 12:38
Finally i got my hands on a Sony PSP Value Pack (http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?products_id=2979&lsaid=219793) and the Ridge Racers (http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?products_id=4473&lsaid=219793) game, heres a short excerpt from my review of what is an excellent console and a real contender to Nintendos Throne:[br][br] Turning the PSP impresses straight away with the size of the screen and the clearness of the picture and the excellent sound coming from it. The first screen that shot up was choice between English and Japanese, obvious which one i went for. The next screens were asking for time zone, dates etc. The final option and the one i struggled on was the name that is to be used for wireless play, i struggled with getting to grips with the selection so i just pressed any buttons to get past that and into some gaming.[br][br]At last it came to an option screen where i could choose Memory stick, Saved Data Utility, Game Sharing or UMD (The Game), on highlighting the UMD option you are presented with video footage of the game runing and the title of the game and more info which is a damn cool option. [br][br]Read the rest of the review at PSP News (http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/psp-review.shtml)

wraggster
January 29th, 2005, 12:39
its a very nice console ;)

Mental2k
January 31st, 2005, 19:11
How many games u got wraggs, and whats quality like?

wraggster
January 31st, 2005, 20:04
1 game and awesome quality

mypsp
February 2nd, 2005, 09:23
i just got mine with ridge racers, vampire chronicles, just wondering what to get next

jf19
February 4th, 2005, 18:56
Metal Gear Acid is an great game and easy to understand even in japanese

wraggster
February 4th, 2005, 21:10
ill wait for US/UK games

lets hope the PSP is indeed region free

robotboy
February 7th, 2005, 21:14
i agree ridge racers is phenomenal,

i put some video clips of it up on my site

www.ballofodd.co.uk

Mib_333
February 26th, 2005, 12:17
kool! im getting my psp in 2 days ;D ;D ;D ;D and i preorded nfs rivals as well as dynasty and ridge racers thing is i dunno if worth geting nother game?

Mib_333
February 26th, 2005, 12:19
oo 1 more thing i totally forgot sorry :-[ wondering can the card be used as a mass stroage device?

Mib_333
February 26th, 2005, 12:20
is a digital sd camera card stil lsame as memory stick duo? and with future dvd's will you be able to buy em on umd?

WarmFluffyUK
February 27th, 2005, 11:58
Hia guys,

I just got my PSP yesterday, and I must say it's darned good. Makes my old GP32 look like a fridge with little magnets on it. All I need now is a Memory Stick, which I have just ordered.

The PSP is solid, small enough to fit in my handybag and everything a playstation should be.

The only game I have at the moment is Ridge Racers, and that makes my little jaw drop. It also gave me a smile when I first ran the game as it opens with an old arcade style little racer, quite fun in itself!!!

I was surprised to see all the options on the Home screen too, especially the Network settings. I quickly got it up and running on my Wireless Access Point, and it told me it connected to the Internet! All I need now is a browser ::) .

Tell you what I'm really looking forward too though, seeing what developers come up with on the emulation and home brew front. This system has real potential in this area.

My only real critisism, the bottom rear of the unit had a sharp bit of plastic which dug into my fingers. it was only very tiny, and was sorted very quickly with an emery board.

Right I think I have yacked on enough here.

TTFN,
Clare.
:-X

wraggster
February 27th, 2005, 12:43
i think its cool when you can pause then power off, then when you power back on again your back in the game, that alone is sweeteness.

The DS and PSP are going to have emulation/homebrew scenes for both, the best of the hackers for handheld scenes are already making inroads so we are in for an exciting future :)

WarmFluffyUK
February 27th, 2005, 12:50
i think its cool when you can pause then power off, then when you power back on again your back in the game, that alone is sweeteness.

I totally agree, the sleep mode is really kewl! I have never seen this in a handheld before. I think the Home screen month colour is a nice touch too 8)

xyston
March 5th, 2005, 18:12
Ive just oreder my psp from lik-sang, cant wait till it comes :)

slaguru
March 5th, 2005, 20:41
I got a PSP while in Hong Kong last week and brought back, Ridge Racers, Lumines, Namco Musium, and a game called Rokuco (I think thats what it is in Jap). Lumines is a great game (if your a fan of puzzle games). The others also impress but I have to say having seen all the current Jap games working Ridge Racers looks the most impressive.

aseddon130
March 5th, 2005, 21:18
i got my PSP on Friday as a present for my 20th Birthday, it was a total shock that i got one and my dad is my new best friend. He got one aswell (cos he always has to have anything i have computer-wise) and he got Ridge Racers with his and i got Metal Gear Ac!d - now, he got me Metal Gear Ac!d because he thought it was the exact same as the console MGS titles and clearly didnt know that it was a strategy-type puzzle game so when he tried it he hated it. The only problem i have (obviously) is the Japanese text in it, it took 10 mins to actually get onto a bit where i actually played the game, i took 2 steps then MISSION COMPLETE! then after another 10mins of 'story' and then i got to (finally) play the game. it took about an hour to get used to the game, to work out what to do and how to do everything. it is a pretty good game when u start doing good and it would be much better in english. Ridge Racers (which was also Japanese) was still 'english' enough to deem easy enought to get round the menus and stuff, and this game totally blew me away - the graphics are near-PS2 quality and it is the best ridge racer since RR Revolution on PS1. Not tried the multiplayer yet il let u kno how it is.

cant wait for homebrew stuff ... they better hurry up with them lol :D :D

wraggster
March 5th, 2005, 22:10
i for one cant stand trying to understand jap text

ridge racers is one jaw dropping game for visuals

chinknation
March 8th, 2005, 04:13
I still have to wait till March 24, which is 17 more days. My mom wouldn't let me order from the internet, so I had to wait. So far I preordered: Need for Speed Underground Rivals, NFL Street 2, Gran Turismo 4, and Ridge Racers.

Mimx
March 8th, 2005, 06:21
I still have to wait till March 24, which is 17 more days. My mom wouldn't let me order from the internet, so I had to wait. So far I preordered: Need for Speed Underground Rivals, NFL Street 2, Gran Turismo 4, and Ridge Racers.

Yeah I preordered the Value Pack along with Untold Legends and Metal Gear Acid, and Dynasty Warriors.

Its gonna be oh so sweet!!

smikee
March 8th, 2005, 07:15
"quote" i put some video clips of it up on my site
*www.ballofodd.co.uk "quote" I have tried a cople of downloads ant the links seem broken?? am i doing something wrong.

tobyb
March 9th, 2005, 13:25
I get mine on Friday (2 days) hope to have RR, Minno Golf and Lumines.
I am lucky I live close to GBAX on your list of safe places to buy, I am calling in to their place (really nice people).
Review has got me even more excited, saw one at GBAX other day absolutely class. :P ::)

billy
March 9th, 2005, 16:50
r lik-sang the best place to buy a psp?

chinknation
March 10th, 2005, 03:22
i find lik-sang kinda overpriced. It is totally up to you where you buy it. If you live in the US, I suggest you buy your PSP from EBgames.

leggy
April 12th, 2005, 11:32
A PSP review -

http://gc.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=4689

Well balanced.

leggy
April 12th, 2005, 11:41
Just to say that the above article is a very good read - it has a few juicy ideas about how Sony should / could develop the machine.

lukej101
April 17th, 2005, 20:31
Yes

Cap'n 1time
May 15th, 2005, 00:36
Yes

try not to talk too much from now on.

Austin
June 5th, 2005, 19:50
Ridge racers is great but can any 1 tell me if hot shots golf is any good

Austin
June 5th, 2005, 19:53
luke101j how many times have you posted that fing about the race of the ds and the psp.

Austin
June 6th, 2005, 16:17
Lik-sang are a great site to order from, and i dont think they are overpriced

Zhacross
July 13th, 2005, 17:00
And if you live in sweden like me go to tv-spelsbörsen and buy one.

Zhacross
July 13th, 2005, 23:35
The number one psp racing game is wipeout pure. It starts rather slow but after a couple of houres it goes FAST really FAST.

Awsome game really

shrimpidy
March 14th, 2006, 01:01
PSP is a gift from the future. Its like god himself thought good of us gamers and rewarded us with a pieceof the next life for those who believe it. Those who don't, let's say the terminator was sent back in time to deliver a piece of technology to John Connor who later secretly sold the priceless piece of hardware toSony to create the future today.