PDA

View Full Version : UMD = Hi-MD??

mlcurly16
August 18th, 2006, 03:47
I have a theory;

I think that Sony's UMDs are just re-packaged, re-made Hi-MiniDiscs. This might have been disscussed before, but I dunno. Heres what I got.

The disc inside of the UMD is the same size as a disc inside of a Hi-MD.
Hi-MDs hold 1GB, UMDs hold 1.8GB; not much of a difference :P
Sony invented both (?)

In the end, I think the UMD is just a re-made, updated, re-formatted Hi-MD. Thank you very much.:D

Video_freak
August 18th, 2006, 03:58
Ya, pretty much...

s1k0
August 18th, 2006, 04:20
yup i agree with VF

b8a
August 18th, 2006, 06:06
Nope.

Saying they're the same is like saying that CD=DVD.
They look the same
They're the same size
Must be the same, right?

Un-uh. I don't know the Hi-MD specifications, but if it's still an MD (as the name implies), than the laser wavelength required to read the disc is different from UMD. The MD laser wavelength is pretty much the same as the CD laser wavelength, and the UMD laser wavelength is pretty much the same as the DVD laser wavelength.

The similar format (disc-in-cartridge) is a product of extensive market testing that Sony did in the late '80s when they were trying to develop a digital replacement to audio tapes. Their testing determined that the size/format of what ultimately became MD, was both the most appealing and practical design for their new format. I have to agree. MDs are quite sexy and very durable (I've never had one break on me). So, given this extensive testing, it's very understandable that Sony would just apply the same format to their new media. Unfortunately, they inexplicably dropped the slide from MDs though, so obviously their thinking went askew somewhere along the line.

I actually started a thread about whether the PSP could theoretically play MDs or not. Hardly no one really took the topic seriously, so I ended up looking up as much of the relevant information as I could. Currently, I think it's not natively possible due to the different laser wavelength specifications. Unfortunately, I still don't have an answer to whether or not it could be modded with a different laser head to enable dual MD/UMD reading, so if anyone actually knows the anser, I'd love to hear it.

ACID
August 18th, 2006, 06:10
b8a I agree 120% with you. You are defenetly right .

muffinman
August 18th, 2006, 14:38
you can agree more than 100% oO

Anyways i doubt they are the same.

mlcurly16
August 18th, 2006, 15:19
What I meant to say, is that the UMD is 'based' off of the Hi-MD. Looks like I was wrong there too :D

Accordion
August 18th, 2006, 16:07
well all moving part digital storage mediums are based on the same technology...

from vinyl to blu ray and beyond, its the same concept, just smaller

Uruz 6
August 18th, 2006, 16:17
Since everyone is thinking it I will say it:
What would happen if somebody burned a Hi-MD with a PSP-friendly software and put it in a umd case (like the cheap/useless demos that come with the PSPs)? I understand now that they're different but still they're based off the same "prototypes" so.. would the PSP read it?
Thank God we can still dream :)

SSaxdude
August 18th, 2006, 17:13
That's a good observation.
Don't forget that both are failed formats.

mlcurly16
August 18th, 2006, 18:16
Since everyone is thinking it I will say it:
What would happen if somebody burned a Hi-MD with a PSP-friendly software and put it in a umd case (like the cheap/useless demos that come with the PSPs)? I understand now that they're different but still they're based off the same "prototypes" so.. would the PSP read it?

Exactly as I thought. Some Chinese pirate game company is gonna read this thread and say "hmmm...." :)

Accordion
August 18th, 2006, 18:17
weve already established that it wont work

the laser wavelengths are different

Uruz 6
August 18th, 2006, 19:51

drEDN4wt
August 19th, 2006, 23:02
...and a 3.5 inch floppy disk isn't floppy.

mercury
November 18th, 2006, 18:12
Has anyone actually tried this? The dream would obviously be burning UMD's off a modded MD deck but thats unlikely... might sacrifice my old MD player as it been unused for a year and see what data gets read (if any) when i stick a UMD in it

belialone
November 27th, 2006, 10:14
dont break your equipment
since there are no UMD-R available it wouldnt make sense to modd anything