PDA

View Full Version : An idea for MapThis

DSmyAS*
August 18th, 2006, 17:29
Would it be possible to use the IP adress from which someone connected to a hotspot, put it through a tool like this: http://www.geobytes.com/IpLocator.htm, and get the latitude and longitude so that it can find coordinates rather that you typing them in? Assuming you are near an access point when you grab the coordinates. Whaddya think?

Video_freak
August 18th, 2006, 17:31
Wow! That's a great idea DSmyAS*! I hope deniska is reading. :)
That site is also awesome for that PSP anti-theft app. You just put their computers IP and you have their exact location. :)
How does it work anyways?

EDIT: I tried that link you gave us, and it put my location about 30 miles away from my house... :(

tallica
August 18th, 2006, 19:26
omg video_freak thats a great idea, it would be great to have their coordinates so we could go round to their house and kick their ass for stealing our psp.

Video_freak
August 18th, 2006, 19:28
omg video_freak thats a great idea, it would be great to have their coordinates so we could go round to their house and kick their ass for stealing our psp.
As I put in the edit on my previous posts, I put in my IP and they gave me a coordinate on the other side of San Francisco Bay (30 miles from my house) :(

tallica
August 18th, 2006, 19:37
woo we now know where they are within a 30 mile radius!

EDIT: i tryd this with google earth and it was only off by a bit, i could walk to the place in about 5 minutes from my house!

deniska
August 23rd, 2006, 06:10
just tried it - it did not wor for my IP :-(

M!ckeY
August 23rd, 2006, 07:22
wow, this thing is so accurate ;)
it put my location 63 miles away from me :D , in Los Gatos...hmmm..i wonder if that's close to San Jose