PDA

View Full Version : The Tale of Wal-Mart, Jack, and Bully

wraggster
August 18th, 2006, 19:09
GamePolitics is reporting on something that seems like a simple decision: Wal-mart is no longer accepting pre-orders for unrated games. As a 'family-friendly' establishment, it makes a certain amount of sense. The catch is that, in the eyes of many, one of the U.S.'s largest retailers is bowing to pressure from Jack Thompson. The company denies these claims, with Kotaku running a short discussion with John Simley, Wal-mart spokesperson. From that article:
"Simley says it has nothing to do with Bully, but rather is the outcome of discussions that the company has been in for 'weeks if not months' about how to handle rating pending titles. Bricks and mortars stores have never accepted pre-orders for RP titles, he added. 'I'd like to give credit to Jack Thompson, but there are a lot of Jack Thompsons out there and we are just listening to our customers,'"

Via Slashdot (http://games.slashdot.org/games/06/08/18/1739205.shtml)

Video_freak
August 18th, 2006, 19:13
Jack Thompson can just go **** himself. I'm sick of all his bullcrap. :mad:

s1k0
August 18th, 2006, 20:38
omg wall mart is gay and wtf is wrong with jack thomson hes soo stupod:@

Shilo
August 18th, 2006, 21:45
The thing I don't understand about Jack Thompson is why he is so focused on violent video games. There is some movies out there that make GTA seem like a preschoolers game.

SSaxdude
August 19th, 2006, 02:01
Wal-Mart won't even sell parental advisory CDs or unrated movies, so them pulling a violent game of shelves doesn't surprise me.

BTW, Bully is no where as violent as Postal 2, and I don't see Jack Thompson whining Postal 2.