- PS2: 26,547
- GBA SP: 3,051
- Game Boy Micro: 2,031
- Xbox 360: 1,204
- Gamecube: 940
- DS Phat: 934
- GBA: 23
- Xbox: 6

Amazing to see how much the DS Lite is winning the console war in Japan at the moment, if they make the Wii and DS a system that feeds off each other and download games to your DS via Wii then we could see the next gen winner. PSP taking 2nd place is a good sign for Sonys handheld.

JD/
August 19th, 2006, 16:07
Thats ridiculous 196,719 DS Lites sold in just one week they must be making piles of cash at nintendo

bsg
August 19th, 2006, 17:14
I see a sudden rise in sales of DS Lite.

Normally it is around 146.000 sold and now it is suddenly around 196.000 sold. That is a huge rise.

What happened? Did Nintendo launched
the TV add-on and browser in Japan? Or is it just a new released game?

sko, TheLogicalGamer
August 19th, 2006, 17:43
Or maybe newborns are starting to play DS Lite.

doggy
August 19th, 2006, 17:45
hey
Any 1 know how many units of psp sales world wild, from lunch til now?

Darksaviour69
August 19th, 2006, 18:04
http://videogamecharts.com/page3.html

MaxSMoke
August 19th, 2006, 18:49
I think people need to take a chill pill here over the DS Lite sales. I had the old DS, so did my sister. I upgraded to a new DS Lite, and bought one for my sister's birthday. They are cool. And for a short time after buying one, I was really in the market for some more DS games.

But really, once you've played around with them, you realize that they are just the same DS in a new package. And DS games, in general, suck. It's already collecting dust next to my very shiny PSP with Dev Hook installed. Even without Dev Hook, the DS isn't as interesting as the PSP. You can't pause your game, and most DS games are very shallow, ugly, and boring, when compared to the full console experience of the PSP. There's more gameplay in Crash Bandicoot, then in all of the DS games put together!

After people get done upgrading, the DS sales will fall quite a bit. Call me a psychic, this is my prediction. The PSP sales will quickly gain ground too, the second Sony gets off their LAZY japanese Butts and reduces the price down to $150. Actually, ya know what, they don't even have to drop prices. It's clear that all it takes is something as simple as a new color change to get user's attention. Let's see some Fire Engine Red PSP's, or some Girly Pink. That alone would move more PSP Hardware.

Darksaviour69
August 19th, 2006, 19:20
i don't see the psp catching up. at the end of 2005 the ds was ahead by 1.5 million, and then it out sold it month after month. the ds lite came out in march thats 6 months of sales that are 3-4 times better a week than the psp.

http://videogamecharts.com/page5.html

sko, TheLogicalGamer
August 19th, 2006, 22:57
Max I really don't see the PSP dropping to 150 anytime soon, they just dropped the price to 200.
Anyway you can pause the game on DS, maybe you got that idea from wi fi. Also I think DS games are exactly opposite of shallow, ugly, and boring. Last time I checked New Super Mario Bros., Mario Kart DS, Tetris, Advance Wars DS, Metroid Prime Hunters, and Animal Crossing all kick ass.

Malksta
August 19th, 2006, 23:43
So the DS Lite Leads

Video_freak
August 20th, 2006, 00:23
So the DS Lite Leads
For the past 5 weeks...

cyrien
August 20th, 2006, 03:31
First... I am no fan boy. I own neither system. I am a historian and I like statistics (the only math I like) so call me freaky if you want. But this is what I noticed.

Ok... So I was wondering about DS PSP sales by region and world. So I checked what a few of you linked to. And the numbers they provide just don't seem to add up.

Example:
PSP World 2005 - 15,030,000
DS World 2005 - 9,420,000

Well... wow. That seems to be a huge lead... until
I check the regionals and the PSP seems to always be behind the DS or barely ahead...

US 2005
PSP - 3,633,964
DS - 3,817,883

UK/Europe 2005
PSP- 5,020,000
DS - 4,100,000

Japan 2005
PSP - 4,200,000
DS - 5,700,000

Some basic math later I get...
World 2005
PSP - 12,853,964
DS - 13,617,883

Wow... That is a whole lot of discrepancy... now for the PSP you could say that other regions of the world not counted here could make it up... Latin America, Africa, Russia, Middle East, Antartica...
But the DS total given doesn't even add up to the number you get adding up regional totals given...

So I dig just a little bit and find this on the home section of the page under updates

6/13/2006 - When I first started this site, it was just a hobby site. Ever since joystiq.com linked my site as a source, the site has kinda taken off. Now other "main-stream" tech sites have picked up the so called "story". After seeing how such information can spark such heated debates I have decided to add a Discussion forum to the site.

So... where does this hobbiest get his information? Does a link from joystiq.com make it reliable information? I would say not on the face of a comparison of the figures the site itself gives... I wonder if we can get any site with accurate sales figures for the world and regions...

So just remember folks... information on the net that doesn't tell you where it came from could be anything... or nothing.

At the bottom of home it states...
"Most numbers are sited from NPD, Media Create, Famitsu, or Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft press releases/financial reports." But the numbers still just don't add up... I wonder if he posted some numbers from certain areas and then a world total from another without checking the data himself... once again same problem as above. After all all the big companies have an agenda...

MaxSMoke
August 20th, 2006, 11:46
Max I really don't see the PSP dropping to 150 anytime soon, they just dropped the price to 200.
Anyway you can pause the game on DS, maybe you got that idea from wi fi. Also I think DS games are exactly opposite of shallow, ugly, and boring. Last time I checked New Super Mario Bros., Mario Kart DS, Tetris, Advance Wars DS, Metroid Prime Hunters, and Animal Crossing all kick ass.

Metroid is a neutered game, unlike GTA on the PSP. Advanced Wars couldn't stand up to Field Commander. Crash Bandicoot has x10 the gameplay of Mario Kart. I don't understand people's love of Mario Kart, never liked the game. Tetris? You've got to be kidding. Super Mario Bro is a super-shallow game. After the first 10 minutes of nostalgia, it's back to the DS game heap. Animal Crossing I dearly love, but it's not much of a game. Just alot of minor fetch quests and busy-work. All of these DS games are just a taste of a real game on a console. Why settle for a taste when the PSP will let you play the whole darned thing?

And FYI, when I say Pause, I mean Hibernate. The DS can't Hibernate when you hit the power switch. With the PSP, you can put it into Hibernate, use no power, and come back to the same game the next day. Try that with the DS. Not happening, it'd be dead in 4 hours. In fact, I've played games like Untold Legend for WEEKS, without ever rebooting the PSP or stopping my game. I hit the power switch, get on with life, and come back whenever I want.

So, as I said before, the PSP is a superior game system with better games, and the DS is very.. um... weak. I have a DS. I've enjoyed the best it has to offer, but it just can't compare.

sko, TheLogicalGamer
August 20th, 2006, 23:17
MaxSmokeI think the PSP is a good entertainment system with some good games, but I don't think the games are as good as the DS lineup right now. I still don't see how Bandicoot has 10x the gameplay as Mario Kart. Does Bandicoot even have online play, I don't know. I don't understand why you don't like Mario Kart if you like Crash Bandicoot, they are the same kind of game. This is what MKDS has to offer.

Mario Kart has Grand Prix mode in which you can choose from 4 different classes, 12 different racers, 36 karts to choose from, 4 cups, and 16 new tracks, and 4 retro cups with 16 tracks from SNES, N64, GBA and GCN Mario Kart games.

You can also play time trial mode in which you can set a time trial and send a ghost to your buddy and see if he can beat it.

Then there is vs mode, and battle mode which includes balloon battle and shine runners, and has 6more levels to choose from.

There is also mission mode ranging from level 1 to 7, 8 missions per level and 1 boss mission. That comes to a total of 63 missions.

In multiplayer you can choose from vs, shine runners, and battle mode.

then there is wifi

The game even keeps a record of your wins and losses against the people you have played in vs battle and WFC matches.

I haven't played Crash Bandicoot for PSP but I don't see it having 10x the gameplay of Mario Kart.

basilb
August 24th, 2006, 11:06
...really, u'd be better off ignoring MaxSMoke...

cyrien, it's possible that the numbers don't add up, for one reason because sony typically reports its numbers as units shipped, rather than units sold.

ACID
August 24th, 2006, 11:17
Sothe NDS in japan alone sells more then the PSP in the world in a monthly basis. Whats going on is every kid in japan getting a new one every other month.