PDA

View Full Version : mdf burning problem

yoda man
August 20th, 2006, 18:30
Hello all. I have downloaded dreamsnes via bit torrent. it came in mdf and mds file formats. i used alcohol 120% to burn the files to cd-r. i put the cd in the dreamcast but it just treated it as if it was a music cd bringing up the cd player. can anyone tell me where i went wrong and how i do it properly. thankyou very much.

SSaxdude
August 20th, 2006, 19:44
When using Alcohol 120 to burn Dreamcast stuff, make sure you burn the disc at 8X speed and write method= RAW DAO.

Xiaopang
August 20th, 2006, 20:21
also check if the image is bootable at all. you can also check if you can boot the image with chankast...at least that's what i always do. although dreamsnes is not supported by chankast, you can see if it resets back to the menu screen or blacks out after loading ip.bin

yoda man
August 21st, 2006, 15:55
hi, i tried the advice given. my alcohol 120% only gives me two burn options, maximum and 16x. when i select raw/dao, it causes an error at 1.1% and ejects the disc. The file is 780mb where as the cd is only 700 is this the issue. i read somewhere that this doesnt matter?

Xiaopang
August 21st, 2006, 16:29
the size does matter. according to my experience 80min images are 776MB in size (may be mdf is bigger due to higher overhead), so you'd have to overburn yours, but that's not your problem. (also if the size is bigger than the cd-r can handle alcohol will ask you to overburn anyway). if the burn progress fails at 1.1% then there are probably issues with the device communication. could also be the brand of the cd-r, could be that the disc is dirty etc...check the log to get some specific information about why the burn failed

SSaxdude
August 21st, 2006, 16:36
Hey yoda man I saw your other thread:
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32984
and I could help you with that one, just email me.

Darksaviour69
August 21st, 2006, 16:50
just download dreamsnes here and add you ron roms, it would be easier,

Xiaopang
August 21st, 2006, 17:00
apparently he doesn't have any roms :p

i also think it's easier downloading a working image than adding your own roms. you could just screw too much up, especially if you don't know anything about dc-images and homebrewn

Darksaviour69
August 21st, 2006, 17:08
well we really don't allow topic about burning illegal cd images from torrent sites, and boot-dreams or dream inducer make burning your own CD with your own picked ROMS very easy (boot-dreams even burns the disc for you)

Xiaopang
August 21st, 2006, 17:55
when i meant that it's easier to use a downloaded image i especially referred to dreamsnes. there are no good faqs for this emu yet, at least i didn't find any. the readme is also lacking some basic informations, just for example where to place your roms, where to place roms.txt, how long the maximum file length is, that it's not smart to use romlst instead of provlist etc...cost me three coasters till i had that figured out...so yes, it is easier using images...

btw, you don't really believe that people have all the games they use as roms, do you? that would be the minority at best. technically it makes no difference if you tell people how to burn a disk with your "own" roms which they download from p2p-networks or websites anyway, or how to burn an image that already contains the roms...the result is the same and it's not more legal at all...