PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Party software, it is possible?

WarmFluffyUK
March 1st, 2005, 19:34
Hi guys,

Will the PSP be able to run 3rd party software from the memory stick like the GP32 does?

I have been told no and it aint easy to crack either, are there any real PSP experts out there who know this for sure?

TTFN,
Clare.

Mimx
March 1st, 2005, 22:08
I had a GP32 a long time back and i was reasonably inpressed with it. Now as far as third party stuff goes. Im guessing that you mean emulators and such. As of now no there isnt a way to get that stuff to work. But with the amount of patches and updates for the system its only a matter of time before you can do the same things as you did with the GP32

WarmFluffyUK
March 2nd, 2005, 07:55
That's what I thought, but this is what someone said on the GP32 forum on the subject:

Because it has a memory card doesn't mean just any old code will run through it. If it weren't for the freelauncher and the fact that GP opened up the system(included the freelauncher in the BLU) , you wouldn't have it on the GP32 either. All code MUST BE DRM SIGNED in order to run. un-signed code will *not* run. There are chips in the PSP that only allow encrypted code to run. Could someone crack it? maybe. It would have to be a hardware mod probably just like the PS2. If you are ok with cracking open your PSP and soldering in mod chips then you are ok, maybe. It might just be too much of a pain to do it in that small space.

Think about it. If it was that easy all it would take is an easily obtained blank memory stick and an internet connection for the public at large to gain access to thousands of free games that would kill or severely hurt software sales. Do you really think Sony wants that? No way.

Third party developers also don't develop for systems that are un-secure as they want you buying their game and not getting them for free.

Emulators on PSP are not a sure thing, at least not for a long time, if ever.

I'm not sure if He's correct or not there. Also I have seen an option in the game section called "Memory Stick" which tells me There are no games. Surely that's a launcher?

Ho Hum...
Clare.