xzerox
August 21st, 2006, 15:10
can't you or not

Accordion
August 21st, 2006, 15:13
you cant…yet

Tinnus
August 21st, 2006, 15:59
can't people use punctuation in their posts can't people just search the forums a little is it that hard to do that or what huh

(PS: the absence of punctuation in this post was intended to be sarcasm)

SSaxdude
August 21st, 2006, 16:32
There is a homebrew Playstation emulator in the works, and Sony is also trying to make one to rip people off.

carpy
August 21st, 2006, 17:57
There is a homebrew Playstation emulator in the works, and Sony is also trying to make one to rip people off.

Ok, so let me get this straight, an ILLEGAL homebrew PS1 emulator isn't a rip off, but a Sony produced official one is?

No wonder why Sony wants to shut down every site that talks about homebrew. You dopes act like Sony is the Devil, even though you plunked down $200 willingly to buy their system.

Talk about stupid.

Kramer
August 21st, 2006, 18:02
A homebrew emulator isnt illegal and the reason why sony's a rip off is because they expect you to pay for games that you allready own.

Video_freak
August 21st, 2006, 18:03
Dude, a homebrew PS1 emulator wouldn't be ILLEGAL!
And we aren't stupid- you are.
Crap, kamer got there before me. ;)

Accordion
August 21st, 2006, 18:21
actually any commercial software is a rip off in SSaxdude's opinion…ayay :p

i will see ho the homebrew one comes along, and get a new psp if my uni budget allows…(yeah right)

carpy
August 21st, 2006, 18:21
A homebrew emulator isnt illegal and the reason why sony's a rip off is because they expect you to pay for games that you allready own.

If a homebrew PS1 emu uses any proprietary Sony Code, or a Sony Bios in emulating a PS1, then yes, it is illegal.

Last I checked, Sony hadn't annouced any sort of pricing scheme, or whether they would release a program to convert your existing PS1 games to their emulator's format.

Don't get me wrong, more power to the Homebrew coders, I'd love to see someone pull off a working PS1 emulator that's playable. I just hate it when I read retarded crap that just begs Sony to come after sites and coders with Cease and Desist orders.

Kramer
August 21st, 2006, 18:25
But if you own a psone having the bios isnt illegal and the emulator when released wont have the bios with it.

carpy
August 21st, 2006, 19:38
But if you own a psone having the bios isnt illegal and the emulator when released wont have the bios with it.

Ripping the PS1 BIOS is illegal. You would need to rip the BIOS from the PS1 (or download it like everyone else) in order to use it. Sony knows that 99% of the people who own a PSP and A PS1 DO NOT have the capacity to rip the SCHP BIOS file from the PS!'s Motherboard.

And the deeper we get into this question, the more it starts to mirror the "NO ISOS" argument around here.

a BIOS file is NOT software, it's Firmware. and is NOT protected by the "you're allowed to make a single backup copy" loophole.

donne
August 22nd, 2006, 12:19
Emulators are legal. Commercial Game's Roms are not.

Emu + Comm game's Roms = (You do the math).

The No ISOS policy is quite simple. And this site also has the same policy for Roms or Bios. As I recall, you can't find the three anywhere here. Just plain old Emu and played at your own risk and concern.

M!ckeY
August 22nd, 2006, 20:17
amen...:)

Tinnus
August 23rd, 2006, 01:46
So what that you need a BIOS file? Where you get one is the USER's problem. The guy who made the emulator makes his--as in his code--software available, if the user needs to get *insert something here* to run it, then it's no more the programmer's problem or legal matter.

Just reminding that in theory you don't need an official BIOS to use in emulators, alternative BIOSes could be coded and compiled to act just like the original one. So the emulator doesn't even have a "I'm telling you to get an illegal BIOS because that is the only way" factor.

AND a PS1 emulator won't necessarily need a BIOS file either, it can use HLE.

andrew24
August 23rd, 2006, 02:44
can't people use punctuation in their posts can't people just search the forums a little is it that hard to do that or what huh

(PS: the absence of punctuation in this post was intended to be sarcasm)

yea funny
________
Toyota Sports 800 picture (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Toyota_Sports_800)