PDA

View Full Version : Windows maps download tool for MapThis! by in7ane

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

GIS
November 1st, 2006, 17:30
I have ben testede the new version (mapThis_v3[1].7_1.5_EBOOT.rar) and everything works OK.

Error : (I use Dark_Alex's Custom Firmware 2.71 SE-B')
I have a map (1024x+). When I zoom to the low Map-level (tested in map-level: 1x, 2x and 4x) and move cursor for long time (one minute), MapThis is suddenly showing the attached Image (I have maps in this arear). I have done this severel times in defect maps places. If I then try to use MapThis, example to zoom out, the application will stop working. I do not get this error in map-level 8x.

Version 3.7 :
- I get the same error whit the GPS on, driving in my car for 30 minute.

__________________________________________________ ______

Version 3.8 :
- move cursor error : You have fix it :)
- GPS error : My wife has the car, I will test it to tomorrow morning.

deniska
November 1st, 2006, 21:50
The "GPS bug" is of the same origin and should be fixed in 3.8, but please verify it (stay on lowest zoom and don't switch zooms)

GIS
November 2nd, 2006, 07:21
The "GPS bug" is of the same origin and should be fixed in 3.8, but please verify it (stay on lowest zoom and don't switch zooms)

Version 3.8 :
- GPS error/bug : You have fix it :)

in7ane
November 2nd, 2006, 12:23
deniska, added repairing maps (only works in non-encoded as GPSFS form and needs coordinates right now)

http://homepage.mac.com/f.levin/psp/gmdl0.2.15aGPSFS2.zip

Instructions (click Advanced, check Repair Existing Directory) are up on:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Map_This%21#Repairing_an_Existing_Map_Directory

ejapsp
November 5th, 2006, 17:58
I got a perfect working setup for about 2 wk's. A week ago I started with GPSFS enabled setup, also working perfect. Up to now that is.
Can anybody confirm? Google map only download with 2.15 from in7ane not working anymore as of sunday 5 nov ?

Plain google maps are working! but not the 2.15 with or without GPSFS support.

Russoxley187
November 5th, 2006, 19:26
Thats funny as hell since I thought i had my IP blocked from Google..
I been making hella maps..
Just started using yahoo or msn maps...
Maybe its something else...

ejapsp
November 5th, 2006, 20:54
:eek:

IP blocking is simple to detect:
Try http://maps.google.com/
If not dead then no ip blocking.

I suspect a change in the google map engine. Graphics are looking/acting different, but maybe I'm paranoid.

Ask maps works.

deniska
November 6th, 2006, 00:56
:eek:

IP blocking is simple to detect:
Try http://maps.google.com/
If not dead then no ip blocking.

I suspect a change in the google map engine. Graphics are looking/acting different, but maybe I'm paranoid.

Ask maps works.

actually the blocking would probably occur on the tile servers: mt1.google.com.... and so on...

ejapsp
November 6th, 2006, 06:10
Monday morning still no tiles from google maps.

The tileserver MT1 is working okay, normal google maps work, and its the same server for in7ane's downloader.

Looks like google map uses different servers for different resolutions MT0, MT1, MT2, MT3 etc.
You can see just by watching the status bar.

:rolleyes:

in7ane
November 6th, 2006, 08:55
ejapsp, it is to do with older versions of the application using a set layer (w2.21 for maps) which google have now pulled, download a newer version that uses the latest layer available (w2.25 right now):

For use with the latest Map This! (mapThis_v3.8_1.5_EBOOT.rar from the previous page).

About Google blocking IPs - it seems to only happen on satellite (and therefore transparency), and as far as i can see blocks all kh# servers at once (which you can test for on maps.google.com by switching to satellite view). I'll look into better notification for when this happens.

ejapsp
November 6th, 2006, 09:22
Thanks In7ane

Google Map still not working. Tried the new build on

The preview shows the large map in the middle, but the 4 small corner maps are not appearing.

In the download window no map tiles at all.

in7ane
November 6th, 2006, 13:42
ejapsp, there is probably no coverage at your minimum zoom level (default 0) in the corners of your selected area. Either ignore missing tiles, or set the min zoom higher (both under advanced).

Also, I improved notification of when Google satellite tiles start failing (both during the initial download and the retry).

Russoxley187
November 6th, 2006, 13:51
works for me....

ejapsp
November 6th, 2006, 15:38
In7ane, I have tested a well known map, i.e.
http://mt0.google.com/mt?n=404&v=&x=8503&y=5397&zoom=3

and this tile is one of the bunch which still gives errors. To be precise: no tile at all is downloaded.

Up to now I found no place with no coverage at 0, and now since sunday morning I have no tile at all in this google maps application.

I'm using simple, and did not change anything to my setup between the last working map download and today. Besides that I have tested the setup, and reinstalled on another pc.

And as for coverage, google maps
http://maps.google.com/
shows everything.

So that is not the problem!

I hope you can fix it ???? :) :) :)

in7ane
November 6th, 2006, 17:13
ejapsp, it was a bug (recreating a class without setting the versions), thanks for spotting that, please redownload http://homepage.mac.com/f.levin/psp/gmdl0.2.15aGPSFS2.zip

disregard the previous version of this post, sorry

ejapsp
November 6th, 2006, 18:39
Hi In7ane, thanks for the fast responses: With the your new build

gmdl0.2.15aGPSFS2.zip

the panel BROWSE and its subpanels PREVIEW1X and PREVIEW2X work again. The DOWNLOAD preview panel which you get after clicking the download button still shows the ugly little red crosses..
(meaning no tiles ...)

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Russoxley187
November 6th, 2006, 18:51
INSANE,
I have a question for ya...
I am trying to get a map of a certain place and I move the map around to center on one town, and then I click on the preview 1 or 2 x and it does not change locations.
Seems like I have to move it alot to make the preview move also.
Does the main screen mot match the preview window?
Just wondering.

in7ane
November 6th, 2006, 19:35
ejapsp, it should all work now (this time, really :)

Russoxley187, it's because the map is made up of 256x256 tiles, so at the sides the whole tile is not always displayed and you can potentially move the map by upto 255 pixels without the location the application picks up actually changing (just more/less of the same tiles is displayed). So you have to move about/zoom out to get your desired area to fit into 2 by 2 tiles at the highest zoom (what the preview shows).

Russoxley187
November 6th, 2006, 20:49
I did that, but to get the whole area I would like, it tells me the map is too large, I suppose I will hae to make two maps of change the zoom to levels...
Thanks for your help

ejapsp
November 6th, 2006, 20:50
In7ane, yep its working!

Now the fineprint:
It works as expected but 2 things:
1) For the map tiles and so a temporary folder on C:\Google Maps Download\bin\Debug\<number>
is used. When creating GPSFS the correct destination folder is used, like:
D:\Userxxx\Maps\_name as I entered it in the input box.
This is a little bit unexpexted because my C partition is not happy with a 80k extra clusters load, I prefer my other data partitions to do this (NTFS).

2) The tiles in the download window are still not rendered (The download itself does seem to work).

I still have to test the actual 5 GPSFS files I got, but I have to install the new MAPTHIS beta build first. But is is looking good, as during the download the png are nicely observable in the temp folder in C:.
And I should be able to cross convert to an older MAPTHIS version, so I'd say problem solved!!

Thumbs up!

Edit: Concerning 1, after rechecking your download tool I found a checked tickbox under advanced settings for local temp if different drive. This should solve item 1. Silly me...

in7ane
November 7th, 2006, 15:27
ejapsp, the Test tab which appears after the download finishes? That displays the top 2x2 tiles for GPSFS maps now (technical note: Nx directories get priority, only the multifile GPSFS is supported).

ejapsp
November 7th, 2006, 22:03
In7ane

After selecting desired location in Google Maps Download 0.2.15a and entering a folder for saving I click on button <Download The Map>.
After a that a new window opens where I can select which tiles of the map I want in full resolution. Default all tiles are selected, and all tiles are shown. Now these tiles are missing.

On top of this window there is a window wide button. This button reads: <Uncheck any tiles which you do not wish to download to close zoom levels, then click here>.

This large window has the (8 x 8) missing preview tiles!

in7ane
November 8th, 2006, 10:35
ejapsp, I can not seem to replicate the missing detail selection tiles, however it does seem that tiles behave a bit differently in Germany.

Just to confirm, do you have w2.25 in the box next to the Google Map radio button?

Could you post exactly what you are doing (navigating to or searching for city, how far zoomed out, which preview used, etc. - step by step). Also, could you see if you get the same problem downloading a map of New York for example.

ejapsp
November 8th, 2006, 18:09
In7ane

I tried New York Manhattan 64 and it works perfect!
So it looks like an european problem maybe ;) ;)
The missing preview occurred when trying to download a map of Arnhem. A small town in the middle of Holland.

First screenshot called arnhem shows place,
second screenshot shows missing tiles.

Russoxley187
November 8th, 2006, 19:38
I got the same thing, but I was using the old version, not sure what your prob is... Using the newest now...
Mine works..
I even tried that Area...
Arnhem
Weird..
Try MSN Maps of ASK.

DaxDce
November 8th, 2006, 22:12
Everything works fine for me so many kudos to mighty Deniska and in7ane.

The only problems occurs when i download direction, everything seems to work but my psp display only single poi (it doesn't connect them).

I'll try to find an answer, but no way (sorry if there's). can someone help me?

I've changed the cursor, if someone want's it...

http://www.deathfolder.com/arrows.png

Russoxley187
November 9th, 2006, 01:23
Did you do the get values thingy?
After you put in teh directions in the search box?
BTW...
Cool cursor...
For some weird reason its crooked for me...
Weird...
Cool, though..
thankx

in7ane
November 9th, 2006, 11:42
ejapsp, I can not seem to replicate it for that area, however I've made some changes bringing the way those images are loaded inline with how the rest of the application works - so it may work now (otherwise Google Hybrid maps don't work either probably).

If it still doesn't work, could you see if the URL that appears in the top left, over the wide button, of the 8x8 detail selection window loads in your browser, and post it here too.

ejapsp
November 9th, 2006, 14:23
In7ane

It seems to work! The preview tiles are all rendered now. Looks good!

I tried on the same area Arnhem.

The URL:

http://mt1.google.com/mt?n=404&v=w2.25&x=4224&y=2704&zoom=4

DaxDce
November 9th, 2006, 19:06
Did you do the get values thingy?
After you put in teh directions in the search box?

What do you mean exactly?

deniska
November 9th, 2006, 21:48
Here is what's new in this version:

1) Added new logic for slow gps devices, submitted by ZeroAltitude. This should provide better reading from gps devices with ~4800 baud. You need to put "SLOW_GPS=1" in the config.txt file in order to activate it.

2)Added straight line and path distance calculation logic for non-gps mode. Usage: press [Left trigger] to set/clear marker. Press or hold [right trigger] to add another waypoint(s) to the path. The total path distance will be calculated as a sum of straight line distances between the waypoints. Up to 5000 most recent waypoints are stored in memory and used for plotting of the path. Distance can be calculated for virtually unlimited number of points, but the path will only be drawn for the last 5000 points.

3) Speed of displaying of saved GPS data (FAKEFEED=1) can now be changed with [X] button (while in GPS mode). It rotates between 1x, 3x, 5x, 7x, & 9x.

Please test it and let me know if you have any problems...

DaxDce
November 9th, 2006, 22:35
Hi deniska. Is there a way to put an arrow on the perimeter to show direction to a specific poi?

and do you know why my direction point isn't connected?

PS
Very nice addiction the "straight line"

deniska
November 10th, 2006, 00:24
Sorry, but those things are not yet implemented..
For now you can manually set marker to the location of one of your POIs...
The route points are not connected yet, but you should be able to control the frequency/number of points per route... so if you create route with more points - they just might touch eachother and for a line...

DaxDce
November 10th, 2006, 07:52
Sorry, but those things are not yet implemented..
For now you can manually set marker to the location of one of your POIs...
The route points are not connected yet, but you should be able to control the frequency/number of points per route... so if you create route with more points - they just might touch eachother and for a line...

and what about the video on youtube? the direction was a line, not a series of point, isn't it?

PS
the arrow on the perimeter was just a suggestion...

vibez
November 11th, 2006, 09:32
It was just a series of points

Dutt
November 14th, 2006, 12:23
do i have to do something to my maps to get this to work with them? it just seems to load for ages and not do anything..

any sugestions guys?

A Fn NOOB
November 14th, 2006, 19:42
Well I am a happy camper! Wiped all my maps, downloaded the new beta, and new maps. Great work Deniska and In7ane! ! I can now fit a lot more maps onto a memory stick, and it loads lightning fast compared to the old version(s)!

Thanks!

theprophe
November 15th, 2006, 16:36
I would also just like to post, that i also couldn't get google maps for prague,czech republic, but with the new build it works fine, thanks

in7ane
November 19th, 2006, 20:36
deniska, I've added support for http://map.sogou.com/new/ which has maps of China and looks reasonable to work with (256x256 tiles, 2x jumps, but not google tile compliant).

http://key.go2map.com/lib/js/k.js looks like it contains the lat/lon to tile code

Zoom increases from 711 in steps of 1, x,y are centered at lat,lon 0,0. In coords.txt I save their unaltered coordinates (get numbers shows an altered y and zoom in the application).

If you decide to add support for GPS for this in Map This! tell me how you want it indicated in coords.txt and GPSFS (or just on zoom being >= 711?).

Threading is also in, without any benefit though.

fpeng
November 20th, 2006, 04:01
hi
I have managed to put MapThis program and maps into a ISO file and use DEVHOOK to run the software. It works fine and loading tiles is very fast. But sometimes the software is dead locked when loading attraction.

How do you think this ISO idea? Could anyone give me some advice about the dead lock?

Thanks!

Holesoul
November 20th, 2006, 12:53
Hi in7ane,
I'm Italian and i live in Sicily.

At the moment the local volcano Etna is in eruption and yesterday I've gone to see it.

I' ve used Google Maps Download 0.2.15a build 36348 for search the driving directions. it is happened that I'm lost many times because the directions idicates me inexistents roads....:confused:

I've noticed that the directions indicated by the live search is different by that downloaded...It indicate a different route wich is wrong...:confused:

Russoxley187
November 20th, 2006, 15:17
As far as I know Google maps and the others use Map overlays. Pictures from Satilite footage, its not real time. So naturally there are going to be some differences. Roads are being built all the time. If you zoom real close in with google maps, on some tiles you can see the date on the maps and when they were taken.

Russoxley187
November 20th, 2006, 15:20
hi
I have managed to put MapThis program and maps into a ISO file and use DEVHOOK to run the software. It works fine and loading tiles is very fast. But sometimes the software is dead locked when loading attraction.

How do you think this ISO idea? Could anyone give me some advice about the dead lock?

Thanks!

Well,

Not really sure why you would want to do that, but the only thing I can think of is that maybe you hit the button to track coordinates and it tried writing to your ISO/Disk in which it locked up.
Just a thought.
Do you mind sharing?
I would like to try it, you got me curious...

deniska
November 20th, 2006, 18:34
hi

Thanks!

This sounds interesting! Did you put all your maps in ISO file too?
Which version of map this did you use? Maybe there is a bug in a particular version? Did you use GPSFS or uncompressed maps format for your maps?

Which tool did you use to build ISO?

fpeng
November 21st, 2006, 02:23
At first it took me near 3 hours to copy 80M tiles to MS. Then I began to think about using a ISO file.

Now I put more than 200M tiles in a ISO and it runs very well. But there are some problems need to be addressed. One is the attraction problem I mentioned early. Another is about GPS not working when there is a UMD in PSP. This is reported by my friend but I haven't tested it yet.

I haven't tested GPSFS. But basically I think the ISO idea is better than GPSFS. In the future the map data can be put into an ISO and separated from the program itself.

The tools are PBP Unpacker, UMDGen.exe and DEVHOOK 4.6.

1. Compile for 1.0.
2. Use PBP Unpacker to extract DATA.PSP from EBOOT.PBP.
3. Copy DATA.PSP to BOOT.BIN EBOOT.BIN
4. Use UMDGen to make a ISO file.
5. Use DEVHOOK to reboot the ISO file as a UMB.

deniska
November 21st, 2006, 20:02
fpeng,
thanks for the info.
I tried converting to iso and it worked.
Attached is a the latest (beta) version of map this! packed in iso file together with a 32x map of brooklyn with some POI. (this should give people a better idea about the correct file structure in the iso file)

Some notes on ISO file usage:
POIs seem to work ok for me, I am not sure if it's a bug, fixed in my recent version or some mistake on your side (perhaps you were not copying the icon images for your POI files??)

I could not create an iso for a large ~600MB uncompressed map - UMDGen kept crapping out.
I was able to create a large GPSFS compressed map as an iso image. The system hung up then I tried to open that map... So there maybe some devhook or iso limitation there... perhaps someone else could re-test...

resulting iso file seems to be much bigger than the source map...

I was not able to run my custom MapThis! iso's from 2.71 SEB xmb. (this would be pretty cool, i guess.. perhaps in some future version?)

Below are the devhook 0.46 settings that worked for me:
UMD select -->image + any umd
FW --> 1.50 + flash
Boot select --> reboot UMD (1.5 only)

Additional notes:
I fixed the UMD/WIFI switch bug - so it should not interfere anymore with GPS data transfer...
"Add POI" feature is not finished in this version so don't try to make it work yet....(Actually I am not convinced that it will ever work with iso image since the program attempts to update a POI file, zipped inside the iso)

deniska
November 21st, 2006, 20:06
deniska, I've added support for http://map.sogou.com/new/ which has maps of China and looks reasonable to work with (256x256 tiles, 2x jumps, but not google tile compliant).

http://key.go2map.com/lib/js/k.js looks like it contains the lat/lon to tile code

Zoom increases from 711 in steps of 1, x,y are centered at lat,lon 0,0. In coords.txt I save their unaltered coordinates (get numbers shows an altered y and zoom in the application).

If you decide to add support for GPS for this in Map This! tell me how you want it indicated in coords.txt and GPSFS (or just on zoom being >= 711?).

Threading is also in, without any benefit though.

in7ane, good work with the new chineese map vendor. I tried to d/l a farely small map using this, and missed ~ 40 % of tiles. It opened in map this but hung it after I did a few zooms. I'll try to run it in the debugger, when I have time... for now I'll probably queue the GPS support (that obfuscated js looks like chineese to me :-))

Russoxley187
November 21st, 2006, 23:59
Deniska....

Why does your movies POI info show up larger?
Thats awesome...
What version is that?
That really help while driving...

You Rock...

Russoxley187
November 28th, 2006, 02:46
I was thinking about loading 2.71 se-c. on my psp. It supposedly had the same features as a 1.5 and a 2.71.
Will Map this GPS feature still work?
I dont want to upgrade and then be SOL...

deniska
November 28th, 2006, 15:32
2.71 se-c seems to work fine for me, so you should be ok

Russoxley187
November 28th, 2006, 16:05
Mine keeps shutting down right after the splash screen...
Maybe I corrupted the files.
I'll try a fresh install...
Could you tell me why your Movie POI text comes up larger?
Like when you actually go over a POI, is there a place to change that?
I really like that feature, its easier to drive that way.

deniska
November 28th, 2006, 20:59
Put "!WAYPOINT" somethere in your poi file and the program will treat your POIS as waypoints, displaying them in bigger font..
Sorry I forgot to answer that question before...

chi80
November 29th, 2006, 00:47
Hi Deniska,

do you remember me? i try to recode a new edition PSPMapViewer for China map(Baidu map). whith your help i finished v1.1.
you could find it at:
http://blog.sina.com.cn/u/4b657a0601000670
but it's in chineses. sorry :'(
http://album.sina.com.cn/pic/4b657a0602000dke
you could download it from:
http://103.vdisk.cn//sto_get.php?stofile=2006/11/28/15/11646993886781.vfile&seek=0&size=2546912&disabletime=1164700702&cercode=b4192dcf16a3269615cff583b061bc48&outname=PSPMapViewer_v1.1.rar

except GPS mode, i rewrite all the code. it's a greate experience for me.

i have some question:
1. how to converting program to ISO?
2. I try to connect PSP to the other GPSs besides 236. but I failed. did you try to connect PSP with other GPS?
thanks.

Russoxley187
November 29th, 2006, 14:10
Put "!WAYPOINT" somethere in your poi file and the program will treat your POIS as waypoints, displaying them in bigger font..
Sorry I forgot to answer that question before...

ha ha ha,
Actually i asked that three times before, but whos counting..
No big deal... I know you have alot going on.
If I may ask, what other kick a$$ appz do you have planned for the psp, if any?
Just wondering.
I really think that this app no doubt is the best homebrew app ever.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

deniska
November 29th, 2006, 16:01
Hi Deniska,

do you remember me? i try to recode a new edition PSPMapViewer for China map(Baidu map). whith your help i finished v1.1.
you could find it at:
http://blog.sina.com.cn/u/4b657a0601000670
but it's in chineses. sorry :'(
http://album.sina.com.cn/pic/4b657a0602000dke
you could download it from:
http://103.vdisk.cn//sto_get.php?stofile=2006/11/28/15/11646993886781.vfile&seek=0&size=2546912&disabletime=1164700702&cercode=b4192dcf16a3269615cff583b061bc48&outname=PSPMapViewer_v1.1.rar

except GPS mode, i rewrite all the code. it's a greate experience for me.

i have some question:
1. how to converting program to ISO?
2. I try to connect PSP to the other GPSs besides 236. but I failed. did you try to connect PSP with other GPS?
thanks.

Nice work, chi80.
1)
Check page 30 in this thread for detaild on converting to ISO. It lists all the tools that you need, so find and download them from dcemu or pcpupdates. You can also use UMDGen to open the ISO example that I created the see the exact directory structure.
You may need to change your program to write to config files in root directory as I am not sure if you'll be able to update the directory structure in your ISO during the program's execution...

2) People reported my program working with a few other devices. You'll have to search my forums for the device names as I don't remember them. Also, someone uploaded some code which seems to work better for some "slow" gps models.. again search through my forums for that code....

BTW, in his last version, in7ane added support for yet another chinese map vendor, which format seems a bit closer to google one.. Perhaps you could figure out the formulas between the tiles and gps coordinates.. so I could through in the gps support for that vendor in my version... Again, scan this thread for details if interested...

Well, good luck with your version - it look very promising...

deniska
November 29th, 2006, 16:05
ha ha ha,
Actually i asked that three times before, but whos counting..
No big deal... I know you have alot going on.
If I may ask, what other kick a$$ appz do you have planned for the psp, if any?
Just wondering.
I really think that this app no doubt is the best homebrew app ever.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

No new apps in plans so far...
I have to make a lot of improvements to Map This before I could switch to something else...
I might do some quick game port in a near future..
as a matter of fact I have a couple of puzzle games which I never finished...----short attention span ;-)

Russoxley187
November 29th, 2006, 16:57
I think its a pretty solid app.
I do like the suggestion that the guy asked about in the other thead."moving the cursor around on the map is a little slow." Is there a way to speed it up?
Otherwise I am very happy.
Do you by any chance have a round about figure on how many people use map this?
We should make a poll of some sort.

in7ane
December 8th, 2006, 00:52
Map download tool version 0.4.0b: http://homepage.mac.com/f.levin/psp/gmdl0.4.0b.zip

Posting all my notes:

New file container format - so, copying maps to the memory stick is significantly faster now.

There's an option to cut up POIs and directions into files of 400.

Custom maps now takes, and scales up, any PNG.

There are icon previews for POI and Directions images.

There is the option to repair map directories, filling in missing tiles, which could be useful for Google Satellite maps that time out - now with a warning (see the wikibooks page).

Google sources now automatically get the latest tile layer version (which you can change to get older maps/satellite eg try 10 instead of 11 in London).

Detail selection (the 8x8 tile screen) now checks the checkboxes when you click anywhere on the tile.

Threading is in, although it seems quite useless in terms of how it performs in .NET

Semi-usable Chinese map support (go2map from http://map.sogou.com/new/), without GPS right now (http://key.go2map.com/lib/js/k.js looks like it contains the lat/lon to tile code), but that should be implementable hopefully (different projection than google, but the tiles are all in 2x jumps).

danastasiei, convert the PDF into a PNG of a reasonable resolution (Photoshop, and most other image editors will do this). Then just load it into the custom map option - and it will be scaled and cut up.

kididio, I'll definitely put in netstumbler file support, what would help is some sample code beyond the definition (http://www.stumbler.net/ns1files.html).

nforce100, about translation, basic/advanced is fixed, and I've added some of the message boxes, let me know if you do an update - otherwise I'll try to put in the rest of the message boxes/progress for the next release. And I still have viamichelin POIs on my todo list...

joeschmoe.lyt www.mediafire.com seems to be a nice place to host stuff, please add anything you do post to http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Map_This!#Ready_Made_Maps but keep in mind what is in the public domain, and what is not (and use the latest version due to the new file container format, see above).

pook
December 8th, 2006, 10:46
Whats the chance that it wont be to hard for you guys to make this work with the Sony GPS ??

Pook

bgruselle
December 11th, 2006, 10:46
In7ane, could we please have
- an .exe that installs with all required components/libraries ?
- an app window that fits a 768x1024 screen ?
- clearer alerts/messages ?

Tho' I have installed everything required, read the manual, search this forum I just cannot d/L any maps nor convert my old ones... so far cygwin is so much more easy for me to use .
Thanks for your efforts anyway:(

nforce100
December 11th, 2006, 15:04
@in7ane

I make an update of the translation :)

Nice the viamichelin thing!

NeIVIesis
December 14th, 2006, 10:52
Hi
first sry for my bad english :>

where i can get the latest version of google map downloder ? there is a downloadlimit on http://homepage.mac.com/f.levin/psp/gmdl0.4.0b.zip

i need maps of london

please help me :<

Russoxley187
December 14th, 2006, 11:10
Download the latest Mapthis version 0.4, that has the latest build in it...

NeIVIesis
December 14th, 2006, 12:05
thx a lot.

i have one problem.

in the LondonTube map are files like that GPSFS GPSFS1 GPSFS2 ....

i download the maps with google map downloader in POI.

and now i have files like GPSFS GPSFS1 ... too. but on the psp i dont see this maps, only londonTube..

Russoxley187
December 15th, 2006, 04:31
did you throw them on the PSP?
it does not move them into the correct folder, you have to do that manually...

nforce100
December 15th, 2006, 17:37
Made a german Update from the translation.txt .

Not all things are translated!

Please try it out and report me if its usable.

@in7ane i need some information from you for the translation. do you have irc/msn etc?

DaxDce
December 17th, 2006, 13:06
Just a question: if you want to add an icon to a POI you have to add the icon to GMD and use the pull-down menu to select it, isn't it? (it doesn't work for me, MapThis seems not to recognise it). Can someone help me?

Russoxley187
December 17th, 2006, 15:42
Just a question: if you want to add an icon to a POI you have to add the icon to GMD and use the pull-down menu to select it, isn't it? (it doesn't work for me, MapThis seems not to recognise it). Can someone help me?

did you make more icons?

DaxDce
December 17th, 2006, 20:54
did you make more icons?

i'm just trying to understand how it works... :)

deniska
December 18th, 2006, 16:13
i'm just trying to understand how it works... :)

Hi all,

I am back from my skiing trip, so I'll try to catch up with all these new messages ASAP...

Anyway,
You can manually change/insert icons by additing your POI file. The syntax is something like this:

!IMAGE:banks.png,

Make sure that the refered png image is in the same directory as the POI file.
You can have more than one icon per POI file. This way all poi entries after the !IMAGE tag get the new icon. You can have up to 10 icons per file.
Icon image sizes could be different, but it's best to keep those icons small (mostly for performance reasons)...

emrahaga
December 24th, 2006, 15:49
Hi, I download gmdl0.4 version of map this! I try ankara,Turkey map.I did that but I can not work on my Psp!!! I use map viewer on psp sample maps works for example new york. But I add _ankara maps to psp then I saw as _ankara but when I select the _ankara map psp didnt open it!!! Psp always read memory but still it didnt open.
Please help me. Thanks...

JingYou
December 26th, 2006, 02:34
Hi, anyone have a map of Singapore in gpsp format? I seem to have trouble with gmdl software...

Pisuke
December 28th, 2006, 20:25
Hi,
Just one question about this wonderful software.

I made some maps from google, msn, satellite ones... but don't know how to make a map of a big area, like a country, don't need high details, only national roads o r highways...

And is there any way to make just one zoom map of entire world like one included in MapThis! v0.2?

Happy New Year!!!

deniska
December 28th, 2006, 23:22
Hi,
Just one question about this wonderful software.

I made some maps from google, msn, satellite ones... but don't know how to make a map of a big area, like a country, don't need high details, only national roads o r highways...

And is there any way to make just one zoom map of entire world like one included in MapThis! v0.2?

Happy New Year!!!

Select the area in mot distant zoom that you need.
Press [Advanced] -->[GET NUMBERS]
Change Min Zoom box from 0 to some higher number..
[Preview 1X] button will give you the estimate on the file size

in7ane
January 3rd, 2007, 14:37
nforce100, I've uploaded your updated translation to http://homepage.mac.com/f.levin/psp/translation/german2/translation.txt and in the wiki, looks good thanks!

I'm [email protected] on MSNM for any questions.

in7ane
January 4th, 2007, 15:36
Google have added multi point directions, eg: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&saddr=newark+airport&daddr=flushing,+ny+to:10001

And this works:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&saddr=newark+airport&daddr=flushing,+ny+to:10001&output=html

However, http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&saddr=newark+airport&daddr=flushing,+ny+to:10001&output=kml

does not seem to give the second (or further) parts - if anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate any input.

in7ane
January 6th, 2007, 16:42
nforce100, the other two explanations, just got the messenger log from work:

"Previews will only show the transparent layer, and prompting to re-download tiles is not implemented"

This is for Google hybrid maps, it basically means that only the streets (and not the satellite) part will be shown when clicking preview, and that failed tiles will not be automatically redownloaded at the end.

"There are waypoints at the end which did not match up to the route"

Is for the directions, it basically means that some unexpected data was there - and the directions should be tested before use.

Hope this helps.

nforce100
January 7th, 2007, 00:17
in7ane, the new translation!

tigerjk1410
January 7th, 2007, 05:32
i'm sorry if this has been addressed before but i can only seem to post replies here. is there a tutorial or a simple walk-through of how to get custom maps to the psp? i want to have maps of certain states/cities but i have no clue how to make them using this program.

if anyone could point me in the right direction it'd be GREATLY appreciated.

in7ane
January 8th, 2007, 14:58
nforce100, thanks that's up now.

tigerjk1410, custom maps are a bit touch and go, the general idea is described in: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Map_This%21#Creating_a_Custom_Map

TheWanderer
January 14th, 2007, 16:45
Google have added multi point directions, eg: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&saddr=newark+airport&daddr=flushing,+ny+to:10001

And this works:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&saddr=newark+airport&daddr=flushing,+ny+to:10001&output=html

For the life of me I can not get the direction (the blue highlighted roads) to work...am I missing something?

dloading
January 15th, 2007, 12:03
When using the app on a network that requires using a proxy (NTLM auth proxy) the map download tool fails.
It seems to support proxy, reads system (IExplore) proxy address, but don't support authentication.
Surfing around it seems this isn't something I can solve changing configuration files, but it is something you should support on the code side..this page may be of some help: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318140 (down where it says "Proxy servers that require NTLM authentication" ).

Here is a log of exception reported by the app:

Le informazioni su come richiamare il debug JIT (Just-In-Time) anziché questa finestra
sono riportate in fondo al messaggio.

************** Testo dell'eccezione **************
System.Net.WebException: Errore del server remoto: (407) Richiesta autenticazione proxy.
in System.Net.WebClient.DownloadDataInternal(Uri address, WebRequest& request)
in System.Net.WebClient.DownloadString(Uri address)
in System.Net.WebClient.DownloadString(String address)
in Google_Maps_Download.GMdl.GMdl_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Desktop\Google Maps Download\GMdl.cs:riga 1120
in System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
in System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
in System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
in System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
in System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
in System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
in System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Mes sage& m)
in System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Mess age& m)
in System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
in System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
in System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.O nMessage(Message& m)
in System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.W ndProc(Message& m)
in System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Assembly caricati **************
mscorlib
Versione assembly: 2.0.0.0
Versione Win32: 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
Base di codice: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Google Maps Download
Versione assembly: 1.0.0.19635
Versione Win32: 1.0.0.19635
Base di codice: file:///D:/Archivi/PSP/Map%20Download%20by%20in7ane/Google%20Maps%20Download.exe
System.Windows.Forms
Base di codice: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
Base di codice: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
Base di codice: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Data
Base di codice: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_32/System.Data/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll
System.Xml
Base di codice: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Windows.Forms.resources
Base di codice: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms.resources/2.0.0.0_it_b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.resources.dll
Interop.SHDocVw
Versione assembly: 1.1.0.0
Versione Win32: 1.1.0.0
Base di codice: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Interop.SHDocVw/1.1.0.0__1ad98e65f3d36983/Interop.SHDocVw.dll
mscorlib.resources
Base di codice: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
System.Configuration
Base di codice: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.resources
Base di codice: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.resources/2.0.0.0_it_b77a5c561934e089/System.resources.dll

PS: thanks a lot Deniska and in7ane for your work!

scarface969
January 19th, 2007, 13:11
Help is there a step by step guide of how to create maps???? I am a noob and have not got a clue. Could I use maps from Tom Tom 6??? Could some upload map of London????

Any help will appreciated.

dloading
January 19th, 2007, 13:25
Help is there a step by step guide of how to create maps???? I am a noob and have not got a clue. Could I use maps from Tom Tom 6??? Could some upload map of London????

Any help will appreciated.

I don't think there is a guide. Tom Tom maps can't be used as far as I know.

But you can create a London map easily by yourself:

On main program window, write London on the google maps page shown and click Search
Less the zoom to have full city displayed
Click Preview 1X to check the map part actually used by the program. If it cuts out wanted part of the map less again the zoom and/or move the map a little
When you are satisfied click the Set Dir button, browse your Hard disk and create a new folder somewhere. This new folder's name must start with underscore, like "_London", quotes excluded.
Click Download the Map button
Wait till download finishes, and downloaded files are packed
Copy the folder to maps folder on your psp
done :)

POI creation is independent, and has similar steps to follow. Type London and hit search. Then when loaded click Get numbers button. Enter search term in search for field, then list, and if satisfied save poi list (with a filename starting with underscore).

gr42178
January 19th, 2007, 15:07
I will definitely try this out later. Maybe even I could get it to work :rofl:

Stalksy
January 20th, 2007, 20:51
I cant get the POIs to display, I tried renaming (putting _ infront of name) and putting them in different places on my mem stick.

I have a map called _Sheffield and the POIs created by googlemaps inside the folder some with _ at the front, others without but nothing shows.

Should the POIs that googlemaps create work?

DennyPSP
January 22nd, 2007, 18:16
When I try to create a map from PNG a file at me gives out error OUT OF MEMORY very often...

in7ane
January 22nd, 2007, 18:58
DennyPSP, that (and the 32 max size for custom maps) is due to the way Bitmap is implemented in .NET, from what I can gather it was never intended for large image files and so is limited in size and very memory inefficient.

Try shutting down other applications and/or running on a machine with more ram (1GB recommended I guess).

If anyone has any suggestions of a better bitmap implementation to use I will have a go at using it instead.

NinjaMY
January 23rd, 2007, 03:59
hi in7ane... thanks for this great application.. just wondering if it's possible to add support for maps from multimap.com?

http://www.multimap.com

deniska
January 23rd, 2007, 04:59
hi in7ane... thanks for this great application.. just wondering if it's possible to add support for maps from multimap.com?

http://www.multimap.com
It seems to have a different projection..
That means that even if you import it in to mapthis!
your wont be able to use it with gps receiver...
Besides, why would you need another source for US data ??? google, msn yahoo , etc should be sufficient...

NinjaMY
January 23rd, 2007, 05:46
It seems to have a different projection..
That means that even if you import it in to mapthis!
your wont be able to use it with gps receiver...
Besides, why would you need another source for US data ??? google, msn yahoo , etc should be sufficient...

Not for US maps actually, for Asian maps. :) Oh..well, i guess I have to rely on Google satellite images..

DennyPSP
January 23rd, 2007, 10:50
DennyPSP, that (and the 32 max size for custom maps) is due to the way Bitmap is implemented in .NET, from what I can gather it was never intended for large image files and so is limited in size and very memory inefficient.

Try shutting down other applications and/or running on a machine with more ram (1GB recommended I guess).

If anyone has any suggestions of a better bitmap implementation to use I will have a go at using it instead.

I have checked up on a computer with 2 GB memories - too most--> out of memory..
What is 32, dimension that it for number?

in7ane
January 23rd, 2007, 14:30
DennyPSP, 32 tiles across (so the largest image you can use is 32 * 256 = 8192 pixels). If that's not it - post a link to the image you are trying to convert and I'll have a go as seeing what's causing the crash.

DennyPSP
January 24th, 2007, 11:57
Prompt what system of coordinates it is used in maps GOOGle??...Coordinates from search in
OZIexplorer do not coincide with coordinates Google

Zeroon3
January 24th, 2007, 18:37
hi all
first thanks for the WONDERFUL programs!
then, when i want to create a direction, i go to the directions tab, select maps.google.com, i select the start then the end and i create waypoints...but is it possible before i create waypoints to add directly on the google map some specific waypoints without use the google maps function? i mean if i want to pass through a city..can i click with a buttons combinations and add directly to the route that point?
thanks
regards

harpik
January 25th, 2007, 13:09
Realy great program :thumbup: ,

a pitty that i'm behind an authenticated proxy... :(

it would be great if you add authenticated proxy support for the map downloads,

i've been reading a bit and i think you could probably do it by adding some code like these

------------------------------------------------------
private proxyObject mp = new WebProxy("Your Proxy name here", true);
private NetworkCredential myCred = new NetworkCredential("Your username here", "Your Password here");
mp.Credentials = myCred;
wc.Proxy = mp; // "wc" is the WebClient object
------------------------------------------------------

i haven't tested it and i don't realy know if it will work
that would be great if it reads the proxy name, username and pw from a file or something.

Thanks a lot for all your work. :)

zsc
January 25th, 2007, 21:26
Does anyone know where to get maps of Japan in ENGLISH? Both google and msn show maps with names in Japanese. I'm going to be traveling in Japan and would like to have a map on the PSP.

joeschmoe.lyt
January 28th, 2007, 03:55
Hello again, I'm back. Once again gmdl seems to be just out of my intellectual reach. I tried google hybrid, but it gives me an error: Gogle satellite tile test failed. I didn't like msn hybrid because it goes to ugly black & white at 8x and closer. I recall you guys telling me in the past to click 'advanced'...get numbers...make sure its 2x2...Gmdl often tells me, "there's something not quite right about this map..." I need to make a new map (or convert my old one) and make a poi file for the first time. Then I want to look into that reverse geodata thing....cool stuff! Especially now that I got my Talismoon car cradle.

in7ane
January 28th, 2007, 14:00
joeschmoe.lyt, Google blocks you from downloading satellite tiles after the first few hundred, for a few hours (try http://maps.google.com in satellite mode after you get that error). And as Google hybrid is a combination of the transparent layer and the satellites - that's what you've run into. A walk-around is to change your IP when you get that error and then click ok.

joeschmoe.lyt
January 28th, 2007, 14:58
In other words, power cycle my modem and router, right? Since I have a dynamic ip from my isp...so when I do that gmdl automatically picks up where it left off?
Edit: I tried this and I still have no tiles in my 512x & 256x folders. Also...I choose my directory path in the top of the gmdl window, but it still puts the maps in the debug folder.
Maybe it would be easier to convert my old map from back before google got all sheisty.

in7ane
January 28th, 2007, 16:55
Converting the old map is by far the easier option, instructions on how to do it are here: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Map_This!#Converting_Old_Maps

Make a backup first, test after, etc.

Re: picking up where it left off - you would need to check the "Repair Existing Directory" checkbox under advanced.

zsc
January 28th, 2007, 18:46
I've noticed that if you try to "Get Numbers" from Google Satellite and try preview, it gives a different image from get number/preview of Google Maps. Also, is there any way to slow down the retrieval process? That might help with Google blocking IP. And is it possible to select level of details, for example, 7,5,3,1, instead of 7,6,5,4,3,2,1. I can only think of doing it manually by deleting the folders then create a GPSFS from the remainiêg folders.

in7ane
January 28th, 2007, 20:18
Zeroon3, how to make it work (directions from A to B via C --> directions from A to C then add directions from C to B):

Download a slightly updated version (build 35864) from http://homepage.mac.com/f.levin/psp/gmdl0.4.0b.zip

Then in the directions tab make sure "Add rather than replace" is checked, and any subsequent queries will be added to the table rather than replacing it.

The technical details: although Google lets you have multipoint directions, the xml query still only returns the first part (guess the page does a few of them and sticks them together). Either way, the walk-around above works for all the sources.

zsc, the application only really works (getting proper numbers) when you are in map mode, this is due to the webpage caching tiles as I recall. I'll try and get the delay and the ignored layers options in when I have time, thanks for the suggestions.

harpik, dloading, thanks for that - I'll get the proxy code in when I have time.

dloading
January 29th, 2007, 09:03
Zeroon3
harpik, dloading, thanks for that - I'll get the proxy code in when I have time.

Fine thanks!!!!! :thumbup:

in7ane
January 30th, 2007, 15:51
http://homepage.mac.com/f.levin/psp/gmdl0.4.1b.zip

New features:

You can ignore zoom layers by unchecking them in the top left of the detail selection screen that pops up for larger maps. (This works in combination with the detail areas, the top and the bottom zoom layers are always on).

You can set a delay between tiles being downloaded, to reduce the load on your own connection, or if you believe that the map sources object to being queried too often as Google satellite may according to zcs.

Proxy settings, thanks to harpik and dloading, can be set by clicking Proxy Settings under Advanced, or in config.txt to be automatically loaded on launch. I'd appreciate feedback on whether this actually works :)

zsc
January 30th, 2007, 20:18
Thanks for the update. I had a little trouble extracting the files in Win Vista RC1, not sure why. It extracted fine in XP though. Maybe because it's an RC and not Gold release version.

Anyhow, it ran fine in Vista. One question, the new feature, selecting zoom level, I gathered that the different "x" zoom (64x, 32x, 16x, ..., 1x) corresponds to the numbered zoom level, right? So the biggest "x" corresponds to the max level and 1x corresponds to min level.

zsc
January 30th, 2007, 20:53
This isn't a problem with GMDL, rather a problem with Google Hybrid. Check out the hybrid map for Santa Barbara, CA. The street lines arent lined up with the streets in the satellite images. Not sure which one is off, i don't live in Santa Barbara (plus no GPS yet, in the mail) so I can't test.

Anyhow, is there anything that I can do to manually offset the transparent layer (street lines) or the satellite images so that they line up? I don't think this has to be a feature, since it's not a problem elsewhere, ie. los angeles.

I guess for now i will rely on MSNh to get me those maps for Santa Barbara.

in7ane
January 30th, 2007, 22:08
zsc, the order of zoom levels is the same as in Map This! (closest, eg 64x at the top, and furthest (the 2x2 one) 1x at the bottom). Furthest 3 (I think) layers are always downloaded.

As for offsetting images - it would be far too fiddly to be usable - and Google is likely to fix their alignment sooner than I'm to code it.

harpik
January 31st, 2007, 07:18
Yeah! the proxy woks great for me! :thumbup:

An excelent work (as always) :D

For those who need the proxy, remember to set the proxy name as ProxyName:ProxyPort (IE: "proxy.mysite.com:1234")
i got an error at first but with the correct name everything worked great

Thanks a lot

Er_SeVi
January 31st, 2007, 13:35
It's a great application and I have just downloaded the latest version.
However I had a problem when downloading the maps. After deselecting certain checkboxes and selecting the zooms that I want, the download page freezes when I click on the top banner. What could be causing this?

Moreover, I would like to know if there is anyway to display the route from point A to point B as a line instead of dots.

My apologies if anyone else has already asked these questions but my English isn't very good and I haven't been able to read through the whole string.

Cheers,

rhygin
January 31st, 2007, 17:59
I have the same problem as Er SeVi, everytime I use gmdl041b and uncheck some zooms the programm freezes.

I also notices that my cpu usage goes up to 100% all used by gmdl. Looks like a tiny bug here.

Still a great tool though keep it up

in7ane
January 31st, 2007, 19:29
Er_SeVi, rhygin thanks for reporting that - should be fixed now.

http://homepage.mac.com/f.levin/psp/gmdl0.4.2b.zip

It was not so much a bug as an implementation that did not seem to scale well - it adds x,y,zoom for each tile to be ignored, the problem was checking if the tile is already in the table, with that removed it seems to be better.

With zooms to 128x ignoring 64x 16x 4x took over 5 minutes, now it's instant, however the total tiles to download can now be underestimated due to double counting if areas to ignore overlap with layers to ignore (downloads are right - this is just a display problem).

Also added http://www.openstreetmap.org support (same projection as Google so GPS works).

rhygin
February 2nd, 2007, 00:30
Hi in7ane,
I just tested your latest release. It works fine no problems with the program freezing anymore.
I downloaded the map to my psp and tested it -
It still displays the zoom levels even if they are not actually on the PSP and says that there is no map data at this zoom level just like before when I deleted zoomlevels after they had been downloaded.

Hi deniska,
could you possibly change Mapthis! slightly so that the zoom levels that are not available are skipped?
I guess this would be the better solution at least it would be more convenient.
Thanks a lot you two for your great work.

deniska
February 3rd, 2007, 02:23
with the map format that we use in the program, it would be hard to tell if you are missing the entire zoom level or just a few tiles (checking all tiles in that zoom to see if they are present may turn out to be a big performance issue.

chalupa2412
February 3rd, 2007, 03:13
Deniska,

I just got all the pieces I need to do this, GPSlim 240 and the cables (remote and usb mini) i've been trying to hook things up but my psp won't recognize it. I understand that the ground wire connects to pin2, but what am i connecting to pin six? is it the 5V. D+, or D- wire? And is that all i need to do for it to work? Is there any program that i need to boot the reciever on the psp? please help. your work looks great and any help is greatly appreciated.

deniska
February 3rd, 2007, 07:20
Deniska,

I just got all the pieces I need to do this, GPSlim 240 and the cables (remote and usb mini) i've been trying to hook things up but my psp won't recognize it. I understand that the ground wire connects to pin2, but what am i connecting to pin six? is it the 5V. D+, or D- wire? And is that all i need to do for it to work? Is there any program that i need to boot the reciever on the psp? please help. your work looks great and any help is greatly appreciated.
I believe I gave some hints on how to troubleshoot it in the FAQ in disscussion forum..but if it get's out of control consider just buying the pre-made cable... (front page has the info)

in7ane
February 3rd, 2007, 20:43
I'm moving things to http://www.in7ane.com/psp so this is not really a release, just a few things that got cleaned up in the process:

GMDL build 34432

http://www.in7ane.com/psp/gmdl0.4.2b.zip

Custom maps can now be saved in JPEG as well as PNG

Yahoo Satellite now scales down to 256 from 258 (don't know if they changed, or if this was an old bug). Baidu strongly typed to be PNG.

The double counting of tiles (skipped as a layer and as an area) is fixed, now total tiles in the progress box is correct.

GeoData 0.2.6a

http://www.in7ane.com/psp/GeoData0.2.6a.zip

C:\GMDL\... as a permanent cache option

Loading names step no longer as slow as before

Other cleanup before merging into the main GMDL app

deniska, I've run into a crash that seems to be specific to smaller GPSFS maps with missing tiles, with http://www.in7ane.com/psp/_NYJPEG.zip try to zoom in all the way then scroll all the way to the left and zoom out one level - none of the tiles load (at which point Map This! becomes unstable and the PSP has to be restarted).

chalupa2412
February 3rd, 2007, 21:56
I got a cable together and i used the lua player serial echo program. I get a whole bunch of wierd characters when the GPS is plugged in, but its not working in MapThis! GPS mode. Is there something I may be missing like settings that need to be changed for the 240 model?

nikitenko91
February 5th, 2007, 19:45
when i download the maps all it does is gives me alot of pics. how do i make it into a file that i can view on map this!

MIB.42
February 6th, 2007, 06:31
in7ane, I am using gmdl0.4.2b.

- I'd like to get a map with Japan on the left and US West coast on the right. ( I am flying over to Tokyo soon and curious about the route )
- Preview shows "cropping" to US only.

Any insights? Thanks!

in7ane
February 6th, 2007, 13:27
MIB.42, Google tile coordinates start from the dateline - so you can not have a map that spans it. The solution would be to either use the full world map (Advanced, zoom=16, x=0, y=0, minzoom=10) and uncheck the other areas (then you will jump from the left of the map to the right as you cross the dateline. Or to use two maps (upto, and from the dateline).

Keep in mind that it may be a good idea to ask cabin crew about using a GPS receiver, especially before pulling out some custom made cables mid flight and sticking a receiver next to the window.

http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:dfsgY0efoZgJ:gpsinformation.net/airgps/airgps.htm+gps+airline&hl=en&client=firefox-a&strip=0

MIB.42
February 6th, 2007, 16:02
MIB.42, Google tile coordinates start from the dateline - so you can not have a map that spans it. The solution would be to either use the full world map (Advanced, zoom=16, x=0, y=0, minzoom=10) and uncheck the other areas (then you will jump from the left of the map to the right as you cross the dateline. Or to use two maps (upto, and from the dateline).

Keep in mind that it may be a good idea to ask cabin crew about using a GPS receiver, especially before pulling out some custom made cables mid flight and sticking a receiver next to the window.

http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:dfsgY0efoZgJ:gpsinformation.net/airgps/airgps.htm+gps+airline&hl=en&client=firefox-a&strip=0

Thanks, but can you please try it, the Google Insert and the Preview is quite different at that level. I found it impossible - or at least hard enough not to succeed - to have the whole map.

For the wrap around issue, I guess it would not be a big issue to stitch the map and wrap the coords, but I guess this would be a mundane extra code as there is no stuff there, so this is fine too, you are right...

Also, can you please explain - or point me to a direction - the GPSFS format you are using? I have some coding experience with images ( like color reduction etc. )...

Thank you for the airlines info.

in7ane
February 6th, 2007, 16:39
MIB.42, to get maps that are that zoomed out you are better off specifying the zoom,x,y values by hand under Advanced (click Show Preview to see the area).

You can change GMDL to stitch the Google Map source by changing bPF_Click() here: GetThreadTile(new Object[] { the_zoom, Zx + fil_col, Zy + dir_row, full_file_name });

or Google Satellite and MSN wrap automatically.

However - I suspect it will not work as expected in Map This! when translating tiles to lat/lon and back - you will need to review getLatLong() and getTileCoord in main.cpp I think.

GPSFS: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Map_This!#GPSFS is a bit of an overview, keep in mind the file span change note. But what you really want is CreateGPSFS() in GPSFS.cs

With colour reduction - my initial plan was to take a look at PNGCRUSH, PNGGaunlet / PNGOut but I settled on assuming that Google have already optimized their tiles. Let me know if you come up with anything useful though.

-

I can confirm that you end up with E235 in Map This! (180 + (180 - 125W)) for the west cost if you stitch the map accross the dateline - making the map unusable beyond the E180 boundary.

pooka
February 7th, 2007, 07:47
Google chinese map is OK now for Mapthis 0.4/0.46.
(http://ditu.google.cn).

deniska/in7ane, it's easy to integrate it into gmdl, you could add an entry of mapabc(or name it googlecn)

I made a modified version of gmdl 0.42 and test maps, follow this post to get:

http://www.moby.cn/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=30

I have test it through Holux 236, 20 meter drift:(
bad news. Need much more test.

Gpsper:)

in7ane
February 7th, 2007, 10:41
http://www.in7ane.com/psp/gmdl0.4.3b.zip

Changes:

(1)
http://ditu.google.cn support, with native navigation and GPS support (thanks to pooka for the heads up). GPS may be off right now (w2.37) but I would expect them to re-render the tiles as if GPS is not accurate - neither are their search results on screen. (converts the GIFs to PNGs)

(2)
The zoomX in the detail selection now matches the folder names (top is 1x - the most zoomed in level, bottom is Nx - the 2x2 most zoomed out level).

(3)
Thailand with GPS support (Chang Mai, Phuket, and Bangkok) added as sources from:

http://www.thaitcc.ws/LZ_TTCC

chang mai

phuket

http://www.moffle.com

bangkok
min 1 not 0

Requests:

(1)
Feedback on how accurate the Thai sources are.

(2)
If anyone has experience in dealing with Russian government agencies - the acquisition of Russian geodata - which I believe is open according to current laws (I'm in for a couple of hundred bucks if they have cd burning fees like the regions: http://www.sibgi.ru/price.htm):

http://www.inforeg.ru/db/db.asp?id=89 from http://www.roskart.gov.ru

http://www.inforeg.ru/db/db.asp?id=6571 looks like what Google may have used to get the building outlines and numbers in Moscow

If acquired, in addition to using it for geodata.dat files for Map This!, I would also plan to process and contribute it to http://www.openstreetmap.org

wildon
February 7th, 2007, 11:35
Thanks buddy for the new release.. U rock

bootspsp
February 7th, 2007, 13:03
I will be in thailand in a week if all goes well so i will try out the gps290 and let you know what it is like....

zsc
February 7th, 2007, 15:02
Same here, i'm going back to thailand in about a month or so. I'll give it a try once i'm there. By the way in7ane, are you Thai?

MIB.42
February 7th, 2007, 18:23
in7ane, maybe it's already there, if not, can you please give an option disabling the deletion of the downloaded jpgs, so I can process them at a later time? I guess the "No GPSFS" checkbox only downloads the images, right?

I was downloading a rather large set ( I was downloading for 2 days! ) and this morning when I checked on it, the directory was empty and I had a big red warning dialog from windows about some problem with the gmdl ( or referred ) code ( typical error message for memory corruption ).

I am going to start the download again, but is there any way of avoiding this in the future? Your insight is appreciated.

MIB.42
February 7th, 2007, 20:14
in7ane, did you ethereal the html header for the google satellite images session keys?

cUtu
February 7th, 2007, 21:47
Hi!
I'm not realy good at english so please dont mention it .
I have one big QUESTION!
Are there any possibility to import waypoints (tourist routes) into my google map with map this? I Can download them in googles .kmz format , GPS TrackMaker, or even gamin .img map/ mps tracks, will it ever be supported or better buy a garmin device?
THX cUtu

deniska
February 7th, 2007, 23:08
gmdl tool includes the POI converter, from what I recall.. contact in7ane if you find problems using it...

zsc
February 7th, 2007, 23:12
in7ane, I've noticed that the closest level of zoom on the actual MSN map and your prog isn't the same. The actual MSN map shows more details than min zoom = 0. Is there a way to get that level of zoom? I understand that for practical purpose, it's pointless to have a one-block view while you're driving. I'm thinking though, that if the person is on foot, using MSN Hybrid/Satellite (or Google), those block view zoom would be really nice to have.

Is this a limitation problem?

in7ane
February 8th, 2007, 00:24
zsc, no, I'm not Thai, Russian-Canadian actually if anyone cares. As for closer maps, under "Advanced" you can set min zoom to -1, -2, etc. however GPS will not currently work for the resulting map (think it's in the process of being fixed though - so don't go out hiking with the current version just yet).

MIB.42, that's right checking "No GPSFS" disables the creation of the GPSFS files and just leaves the individual tiles. If something goes wrong the application will delete whatever it has downloaded so far - you can disable this by checking "Repair Existing Directory" under Advanced (if this is checked you can also resume a download of a partially complete directory). You can then use "->GPSFS" to create the GPSFS files (and delete the individual tiles).

No session keys are needed for Google Maps satellite images (there is a funky algorithm for creating the link though) - you might be thinking of Google Earth which does require authentication - but judging by how they reacted to the guy who reverse engineered it for an open source Google Earth clone I will not be including that code in my app.

cUtu, KML is supported (under the POI tab), as for other formats - if you can track down some sample code/file descriptions I'll try to include it.

MIB.42
February 8th, 2007, 02:40
MIB.42 No session keys are needed for Google Maps satellite images (there is a funky algorithm for creating the link though) - you might be thinking of Google Earth which does require authentication - but judging by how they reacted to the guy who reverse engineered it for an open source Google Earth clone I will not be including that code in my app.

No, I was talking about Google Maps satellite images. The reason you can not get more than x amount of satellite images is due to this type of session / rate checking. - as far as I heard -...
Have you tried downloading a big image via Google Hybrid? You get banned very, very fast non-depending on the x second delay... Thus my question on ethereal.

Anyways, I understand your point of not wanting this...

btw, I checked that funky code generation in mapURL.cs...

zsc
February 8th, 2007, 03:30
i see, well, in any case, thanks for the maps for Thailand, i'm definitely gonna put it to good uses when I go back to visit my family (its been 13 years since I'd been there).

By the way, I'm thinking of making a step-by-step guide to using Deniska's MapThis as well as your GMDL. I'll send you a preliminary version for your approval.

zsc
February 8th, 2007, 06:06
zsc, no, I'm not Thai, Russian-Canadian actually if anyone cares. As for closer maps, under "Advanced" you can set min zoom to -1, -2, etc. however GPS will not currently work for the resulting map (think it's in the process of being fixed though - so don't go out hiking with the current version just yet).

About the problem with negative zoom, are you referring to the negative coordinates in GPS Mode?

I made three different maps, one with zoom (max,min) 1,0, one with zoom 1,-1, and one with zoom 1,-2. In the case with 1,0, it works fine. However, in the other two cases, the second value of the coordinates is negative and I get a flashing message that says it's out of range.

deniska
February 8th, 2007, 06:09
in7ane, I think I nailed the gps functionality for negative zoom sat maps (up to -2)...
I'll probably post a new generic gps version in a few days for anyone who wants to test...

Xmant
February 8th, 2007, 14:39
Just got MapKing 3D for Pocket PC version. Do anyone know a way to convert them for use in PSP?

Thanks.

DennyPSP
February 8th, 2007, 14:48
to in7ane
Whether probably to make loading maps in your format for PSP from
http://maps.yandex.ru/moscow
Many Russian users would be very grateful to you, as here many the Russian cities are present.

cUtu
February 8th, 2007, 16:07
Hi!
I have made some stepps in the right direction (i think) but its a bit slow. GPS TrackMaker can generate a .txt file witch contains the track log uncoded the only problems are the t,d, or sometthing like that just in the front of the cordinates... and there are a lots of them... a complete turist map contains 5000+ pois so selection of routes and cutting out some pois is necessary (GPSTM program will do it).the documentation of Track makers format is right here: http://www.gpstm.com/articles.php . as I can see its a free developped software.
I have even looked at .klm description at wiki and it redirected me to googles page about it. As mutch as I can see it (as lame to programing) it has quite a clear description, but I'm not sure about the law problems.
I can upload or send a sample .txt for track maker.
A good kml map with a FULL tourist map functionality is 38mb for a small region of mountains =) including contour-map.

in7ane
February 8th, 2007, 18:16
DennyPSP, http://maps.yandex.ru/ does not seem to have any tile based maps, and the small/medium/large formats they do can not be neatly carved up into 256x256 parts (200x200 and then scaled up maybe - but still won't have GPS support). A better option may be http://nakarte.rambler.ru/ which I'll take a look at later to see if it's GPS compatible to Google - any other Russian maps that are tile based (in Firefox, Tools/Page Info/Media) that you can suggest in case rambler doesn't work out?

nikitenko91
February 8th, 2007, 20:10
i used the gmdl to get my maps for map this! now how do i get the geodata file? so i can look up addresses? please help

deniska
February 9th, 2007, 04:27
DennyPSP, http://maps.yandex.ru/ does not seem to have any tile based maps, and the small/medium/large formats they do can not be neatly carved up into 256x256 parts (200x200 and then scaled up maybe - but still won't have GPS support). A better option may be http://nakarte.rambler.ru/ which I'll take a look at later to see if it's GPS compatible to Google - any other Russian maps that are tile based (in Firefox, Tools/Page Info/Media) that you can suggest in case rambler doesn't work out?

The rampler maps seem to use a slightly different projection...
compare following tiles:
http://nakarte.rambler.ru/piter/tiles/piter_ru/00000016000/000110/000131000110.png
http://r2.ortho.tiles.virtualearth.net/tiles/r12012121122002.png?g=51
http://mt1.google.com/mt?n=404&v=w2.39&x=9568&y=4761&zoom=3

nevertheless, nice catch...

deniska
February 9th, 2007, 14:42
in7ane,
I am done uploading the geodata files to http://glockdancers.com/mapthis

in7ane
February 10th, 2007, 14:10
http://www.in7ane.com/psp/gmdl0.4.4b.zip

(1)
Rambler (http://nakarte.rambler.ru/) maps added (10 different maps of Russian cities) however without GPS support - if anyone has any ideas of how to match them up to the Google projection I'll try to implement them. Note: you can download maps that are more zoomed out than the web page allows by specifying the numbers manually under "Advanced" then the top 2x2 layer will be created filled with empty tiles.

(2)
GeoData.DAT files can now be created automatically for new maps (checkbox in the bottom left) - this is US only. Please consider downloading the full usgs_tiger (550MB) from http://www.in7ane.com/psp/mirrors.html and placing the unzipped usgs_tiger folder into C:\GMDL

(3)
1024 maximum map size is now a suggestion (click "No" to proceed with downloading the map)

Xmant
February 11th, 2007, 17:32
Always have problem of getting gmdl to run. Everytime I got an error message during the inital launch even though I have already installed the Microsoft .net framework version 2.0 installer.

Should I install a visual studio.net to get rid of all the problem? Pls advise.

Could someone post a ready made map of Malaysia? I need the map to locate my fishing spot. Will be there in a month time. Thanks.

nikitenko91
February 12th, 2007, 03:42
can someone tell me step by step how i use the geodata program, i want to get the addresses for atlanta metro area only. it made a bunch of zip file and the i clicked 3/3- save goedata.dat and it showed me some error

deniska
February 12th, 2007, 04:44
Nice work, in7ane...
I like the new layouts!
So far, just one comment... when you hit "pull files" from "Advanced" tab, it does not seem to react to "Add geodata" checkbox...which kind of missleading, since the checkbox is righgt near that section...

deniska
February 12th, 2007, 05:05
can someone tell me step by step how i use the geodata program, i want to get the addresses for atlanta metro area only. it made a bunch of zip file and the i clicked 3/3- save goedata.dat and it showed me some error

I tried the "automatic option" from the gmdl main window ("Add Geodata" checkbox) and it worked just fine for a relatively small map of Atlanta..
although it kinda froze for a few minutes...
The errors refered to some problems with county boundaries in some other states and most likely should not affect your map...

in7ane
February 12th, 2007, 16:46
deniska, I've moved the add geodata checkbox away from the advanced panel to avoid confusion (sliped into http://www.in7ane.com/psp/gmdl0.4.4b.zip ). The county boundary problems seem to be due to counties with no geodata, I'll ignore them in the next release. And will take a look at having geodata auto run if pull tiles is clicked (some messy code in there - will have to go through it properly).

On the odd chance that there are some people familiar with OSM ( http://www.openstreetmap.org/ ) here: any ideas on submitting large files to them (without writing a new app against their API) and how to handle data overlapping with what's already there ( http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Potential_Datasources#Geobase_.28Canada.29 )

avaris
February 12th, 2007, 17:59
hi there...i downloaded the gmdl0.4.4b.zip and when i choose the map i want to download and uncheck some boxes then the prog stop working and freezing...can anybobdy help me...thanks

zsc
February 12th, 2007, 18:09
in7ane, would it be possible to increase the number of tiles for the grid selection process (selecting which grid to get detailed zooms of)? Instead of making it 8x8, how about 16x16. Or perhaps make it an option in the Advanced box.

nikitenko91
February 12th, 2007, 20:00
is it correct that i selected a map of metro atlanta and it already made about 50 zip postcode folders and its still not done, is it doing the right thing, and and what do i click after it finishes making all the postcode files

nightdreamer
February 13th, 2007, 02:03
hi in7ane,if i use advanced mode to pull maps,it will NO GPS SUPPORT?

zsc
February 13th, 2007, 13:28
there is GPS support if you use advanced mode.

jonnie
February 13th, 2007, 15:45
I am having a little trouble getting the map I created to load with GPS-290, I have generated all the prx etc from 3.03 firmware (using 3.03 OE-C), placed all items in specified files as per program (PSP/GAME/etc). Map that was generated I have save as "_yorksh" with the appropriate sub folders inside(ie "1x", "2x" etc). I have managed to run the test program Okay, and find satellites and locked on, but with the GPS 261 beta file, the program loads from memory stick, I choose the map "_yorksh" and it just hangs on this screen, memory stick flashing. Any pointers would be gratefully received as I am getting serious brain-ache late at night trying to do this when all 3 kids are finally asleep!
Thanks in advance

deniska
February 13th, 2007, 18:36
try converting to GPSFS. ie your final map should only have 5 GPSFS* large files inside and no subfolders. (You may still have some poi files and icons inside that map filder...)
And, try the latest beta 048 build, found in the PSP-290 release thread.. (around page 45)

zsc
February 13th, 2007, 23:19
Just wondering, does converting to GPSFS reduce the overall storage space needed?

nikitenko91
February 14th, 2007, 03:06
Just wondering, does converting to GPSFS reduce the overall storage space needed?

yea it does but i dont remeber by how much

AZImmortal
February 14th, 2007, 07:36
Hi in7ane, I was wondering if it'd be possible to implement an option in GMDL where turning points in directions can have a different icon than the normal waypoints that highlight your path so that it'd be easier to see exactly when a turn or onramp/offramp is coming up. Also, would be it possible to add the ability to open up existing POI files? Sometimes I'd like to add additional points to a POI file without having to create an entirely new one. Keep up the great work!

deniska
February 14th, 2007, 15:13
Yes, it does.. In both FAT16/32 there is a significant overhead assiciated with dir/file info - ie the more files you store the more you'll feel it, especially if you store small files.. so converting to gpsfs may save you ~20% in terms of space and a lot of time during upload/deletion of a map...

DennyPSP
February 14th, 2007, 22:16
As I can put through this program on map in PNG of coordinate (Lat/Lan) that worked GPS-290?

afiser
February 14th, 2007, 22:24
is there a mirror to the newest version of this?

EDIT: nvm its back up.

taspankya
February 15th, 2007, 01:59
just thought i'd say hello and let everyone know that i purchased the sony gps unit for my psp and i awaiting its arrival. i will probably be pretty active in the forum once i try to get everything to come together. i currently have psp running firmware 3.10 OE-A'. i dumped the .prxs from the sony release of 3.10 and grabbed the two i needed "usbgps.prx" and "usbacc.prx" and put them in the mapview folder (which is in my GAME310 directory). i then tried to load a map that i downloaded using GMDL which was placed in the 'maps" folder.

i ran the map this! software and it loaded fine. then it said select map... no maps were listed, so i went ahead and pressed X and it freezes the app at "please wait while map is loading"... it did this at first and was stuck for about 10 mins with the memory card being accessed. i pressed the "home" key to exit. i messed around and took the map i had out of a sub folder which identified it and placed it right into the map directory. now when i load the app it still gets stuck at the "please wait for map to load....." but the memory card is not being accessed and the psp freezes completely and i have to do a hard reset. so... is it not working because i dont have a GPS attached to it yet? or maybe i generated the map wrong? im lost

deniska
February 15th, 2007, 04:16
make sure your map folder name starts with "_"

deniska
February 15th, 2007, 06:09
As I can put through this program on map in PNG of coordinate (Lat/Lan) that worked GPS-290?
I am not sure I understand what you are trying to say... post in Russian - I'll translate for everyone else.

taspankya
February 15th, 2007, 06:52
make sure your map folder name starts with "_"

i feel a little embarrassed that i overlooked that... thanks, it loads up nice and quick no prob now... :thumbup:

now i just have to wait for the sony gps to arrive so i can try it out... i am going to Puerto Rico in a month and i dont want to get lost in the rain forest, so im trying to find some nice satellite and aerial maps now of that area that might have trails and what not on them too. if i get lost out there i will surely die. :cool:

DennyPSP
February 15th, 2007, 16:20
I am not sure I understand what you are trying to say... post in Russian - I'll translate for everyone else.

Сорри..Я имел ввиду как нанести координаты на обычную карту PNG формата, т.к. когда я разбираю файлы GPSFS я не пойму как на графических файлах отмечаются координаты GPS, вот и подумал что их как то можно наносить на обычную карту , что-то наподобии калибровки по месту положения, как в смартфонах есть прграммы, и привязке к точке калибровки - и все у нас есть карта с GPS или я что-то путаю и сделать так не возможно...

deniska
February 15th, 2007, 19:49
DennyPSP, MapThis uses what I call Google coordinate projection system. In this system the surface of a planet is divided in to a number of squares (tiles). So if you know how many tiles are at a given zoom and where they start counting from - you pretty much know the GPS coordinates of each tile corner.. This link may give you some idea of how it works: http://www.ponies.me.uk/maps/dbgmap.html
There is more info, available here:
http://mapki.com/wiki/Knowledge_Base

Gmdl tool allows linking gps coordinates to custom maps, as long as they are relatively small, proportional and "NORTH UP". You'll need to find the coordinates of your map diagonal corners (provided that your map is one large image)
The resulting map-gps linkage will probably be not very accurate though, since lat/lon angle - distance correlation is not linear...

nikitenko91
February 15th, 2007, 20:36
what are file county boundry errors? i get alot of those when i try to make a map using gmdl

deniska
February 15th, 2007, 22:08
what are file county boundry errors? i get alot of those when i try to make a map using gmdl
Some couties are missing boundary coordinates info - span in terms of lat/lon.
The tool compares each US county's coords with your map span trying to determine if it overlaps.
There are a bunch of counties which are missing that info.. it should not be critical to most of the users outthere though...
Eventually, I'll look in to manually fixing those boundaries...

taspankya
February 16th, 2007, 15:13
Some couties are missing boundary coordinates info - span in terms of lat/lon.
The tool compares each US county's coords with your map span trying to determine if it overlaps.
There are a bunch of counties which are missing that info.. it should not be critical to most of the users outthere though...
Eventually, I'll look in to manually fixing those boundaries...

so in the mean time will it crash or work? i generated a map of puerto rico that took several hours and i ended up with this. http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/a97dab235d.jpg
http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/a97dab235d.jpg

should i keep it as is or is there something i can do to fix the errors?

in7ane
February 16th, 2007, 16:35
http://www.in7ane.com/psp/gmdl0.4.5b.zip

(1)
Added NY, DC, Chicago, Philly, Boston and Berlin subway system overlays as GPS compatible sources.

(2)
USGS topographic, 1m ortho, and urban ortho, maps added as GPS compatible sources. (Note: min zoom of 2 is probably sufficient for topographic).

(3)
UK topographic (New Popular Edition) added as a semi GPS compatible source (google tiles to lat/lon to UTM is one step too many it seems, if anyone has google tiles to UTM code I'd appreciate it).

(4)
GeoData now automatically runs, if checked, if you click Pull Tiles under Advanced (also runs before the map done message). And no longer giver errors on the empty counties. taspankya those errors did not affect the geodata file.

(5)
POIs and directions can now be loaded from Map This! files (icons too for POIs, ignored for directions). Directions now also have an option to have the path points have a different icon (handles splitting into files ok). AZImmortal nice suggestion, thanks.

Future:
zsc, deselecting areas at variable levels rather than the 8x8 grid will take some work...

deniska, if you do get around to changing the county borders - tell me, and I'll have the program redownload the county border files - will need to have some sort of file version tracking mechanism built in.

deniska
February 16th, 2007, 22:09
Nice work, in7ane!
I'll give it a try once I am back from my skiing trip in a few days...
As far as directions go, I am trying too improve the existing logic.
The new version will inter-connect and display up to 4000 points, so the route is seen as a curved line at any zoom... it will automatically refresh the 400 nearest waypoints every 10 minutes... So I don't know if there is a need for cutting the directions files in chunks of 400...
The points should be in a sequence though for the new path logic to work...
I'll post a new beta in a few days for you to try...

PSPLawyer
February 17th, 2007, 09:08
can someone please tell me how to get geodata.dat file of Los Angeles county?

I have a folder with ALL the zip codes in Los Angeles but the files are just numbers (particular zip codes) and the files are just called "files."

I've spent sleepless nights trying to get geodata to work on mapthis to no avail. i would really appreciate some help. everytime i click "geodata" tab next to "download map" I get an error.

zsc
February 17th, 2007, 14:40
Well, have you already made a map? Or are you planning on making one?

If you havent and are planning on making a map for LA, just make sure "Add GeoData.DAT (US only)" box is checked, it's near the bottom on the left side of the program window.

If you already have a map, try this,

1. Click the GeoData button next to "Download The Map".

2. Click the "1/3 Select map" button, select the directory of your map (should start with "_")

3. Click "2/3 Select for map" button

4. Check/Uncheck the boxes for each of the County you desire. I have a big map for LA County that covers LA County, as well as Ventura, Riverside, San Bernandino, Orange, and a little bit of San Diego, so the boxes on those rows are checked.

5. Click "Save geodata.dat" button

Done, a geodata.dat file should be in your _Map directory.

If you like, I also have a geodata.dat for all of CA, I think. I found it on Deniska's MapThis! v0.4 forum,

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45279

in one of the posts. Just search the thread for geodata.dat. However, since it contains ALL of CA, it's about 23MB, whereas the one I just made using the 5-steps is just 11MB.

ThaNerd
February 17th, 2007, 17:24
In7ane. I wish you won't mind, but i started adding a few UI features to your app... Mostly, added some features about how controls do react whenever resizing/enlarging the windows, and a simple calculation of "percent done" in the main window and in the post-process download (the redownload of missing files).

I was about to release the thing (under GPL license of course, with due attribution) for a few people i chat with thru another bb website, but i just noticed you released version 0.4.5...

So i will re-do everything i've done before with the new version...

Would you consider using some kind of DAV website such as sourceforge or Google Code Hosting (http://code.google.com/hosting/)?

Also, maybe it's time to rename it something like "Online Maps Download" (since despite it still rely on Google, it also is able to download data from many other sources...)

Mystheryman
February 17th, 2007, 17:51
Hi,

Does anyone know, how to get geodata.dat for germany?
Can't find any information about it.

PSPLawyer
February 17th, 2007, 19:19
Well, have you already made a map? Or are you planning on making one?

If you havent and are planning on making a map for LA, just make sure "Add GeoData.DAT (US only)" box is checked, it's near the bottom on the left side of the program window.

If you already have a map, try this,

1. Click the GeoData button next to "Download The Map".

2. Click the "1/3 Select map" button, select the directory of your map (should start with "_")

3. Click "2/3 Select for map" button

4. Check/Uncheck the boxes for each of the County you desire. I have a big map for LA County that covers LA County, as well as Ventura, Riverside, San Bernandino, Orange, and a little bit of San Diego, so the boxes on those rows are checked.

5. Click "Save geodata.dat" button

Done, a geodata.dat file should be in your _Map directory.

If you like, I also have a geodata.dat for all of CA, I think. I found it on Deniska's MapThis! v0.4 forum,

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45279

in one of the posts. Just search the thread for geodata.dat. However, since it contains ALL of CA, it's about 23MB, whereas the one I just made using the 5-steps is just 11MB.
Thanks zsc, I was able to locate the CA geodata file on the threads....

However, I would still like to become familiar with the gmdl tool. The problem I think is that ever since gmdl came out, I am never able to unzip the file. I always get a message of "the system cannot find the file specified." I have always just run the "Google Maps Download" exe file straight out of the zip folder and am able to download maps with success.

However, now when I click on "geodata" button next to "download the map" I get the message "Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click continue.....Could not load file or assenbly 'ZipForge, Version=1.3.0.0,...."

Can you tell me why I'm getting this error message or how to correctly unzip the gmdl folder/files?

Thanks.

zsc
February 18th, 2007, 02:45
@PSPLawyer, I'm guessing that you're running Windows Vista and you tried to "extract all", am I correct? I had the same problem, if in fact that is the case.

Instead of using the Vista's built-in support for zip files, I had to use WinRAR to extract the contents of the gmdl zip file, that solved that problem. It's weird, only In7ane's zip files gave me this problem, all others are fine.

@In7ane, how are you zipping the files? Are you running Mac OS X?

ThaNerd
February 18th, 2007, 04:47
The weird thing is, the sources seem compiled with Visual Studio 2005... However the directories all contain a ".DS_STORE file, that sounds like some OS X metadata...

Now for something completely different, i released my own version of Google Maps Download (actually, the GNU Public Licences doesn't ALLOW but FORCE me to...)

Release announce on my own website : http://www.thanerd.net/81/version-045b-tn/ (in french)

Download file : http://www.divshare.com/download/136806-81f

Be aware that my computer is quite buggy these days, so i *MIGHT* be victim of some virus... Which could have slipped inside this archive... Think about updating your antivirus definitions and scanning the whole set!

Chrislim
February 18th, 2007, 10:20
Pls help me out
I am a Macintosh user
Looking for a Mac base Map DL for PSP
pls advise
thanks a million

regards

Chris

meme me
February 18th, 2007, 11:21
Hi in7ane great work
i've got some maps ready been using 4.4b
now trying 4.5b i have found when you de-select some of the zoom level to download they are still downloaded.
is it just me?

zsc
February 18th, 2007, 15:04
@Chrislim, I'm sure you probably already know about it, but i'll ask anyway, have you tried using Virtual PC?

@in7ane, could you allow horizontal scrolling in the POI box? Also, how about an option for deleting repeated POIs (based on coordinates, maybe, or names).

@Everyone, I'm thinking about starting a database of POIs. First, individual businesses, like Starbucks, Shell Gas, etc. I'm thinking you can download the one you want and combine them into your own POI file. I'm going to start one for Los Angeles area, centered around downtown, with a Yahoo radius of about 100 miles, LA is big in case you're wondering why such a big radius. Well, maybe not that big...but the more the better.

Also, could someone suggest a way to host/manage the POI files? Since the data is taken from a public source, I don't think there's any legal problem with sharing such files. Maybe we could call this the "POI project".

ThaNerd
February 18th, 2007, 15:51
@in7ane, could you allow horizontal scrolling in the POI box? Also, how about an option for deleting repeated POIs (based on coordinates, maybe, or names).

@Everyone, I'm thinking about starting a database of POIs. First, individual businesses, like Starbucks, Shell Gas, etc. I'm thinking you can download the one you want and combine them into your own POI file. I'm going to start one for Los Angeles area, centered around downtown, with a Yahoo radius of about 100 miles, LA is big in case you're wondering why such a big radius. Well, maybe not that big...but the more the better.

Also, could someone suggest a way to host/manage the POI files? Since the data is taken from a public source, I don't think there's any legal problem with sharing such files. Maybe we could call this the "POI project".

I'll answer instead of in7ane, because -- apparently nobody noticed, but i started developping my own brew of GMD (as its licence lets me do it...)

Actually, some POI filtering routine shouldn't be too hard to create, and i could make it i think... However, if you want some advanced features to it, it'd probably be easier to split that thing into another piece of software...

And about some POI database, i already though of it. There are yet a few commercial POI databases available around the web, but i though of creating an open, end-user contributed database. Being European (Belgian indeed), i think i'd start with POIs from european countries at first.

About the legal issues, i don't really know. These are just some coordinates with some text. Some data that anyone could create easyly...

My mind would be to have people enter the coordinates of their local POIs... a million people giving 5 POI each makes yet a good database.

I don't know about the hosting, but the backend shouldn't be too hard to create. I already investigated the issues and it shouldn't be too hard to make a piece of software to handle everything, with some SQL database and a web 2.0 interface to it. I think i could hack a little thing together by the end of the coming week...

Mystheryman
February 18th, 2007, 18:33
Hi @ all,

It's me again.

ThaNerd
February 18th, 2007, 18:40
Hi @ all,

It's me again.

Simple answer : you can't... European Geodata is NOT available (at least not for free nor for a payable price, whatever how much money you have)...

And PLEASE avoid spamming. that won't help you at all...

in7ane
February 18th, 2007, 20:23
http://www.in7ane.com/psp/gmdl0.4.5b.zip

Mainly a bug-fix re-release.

(1)
deniska, directions are now back to what they should be for the next version of Map This!, I think - tell me if I need to make any changes (failing that legacy mode is there as an option).

(2)
More UK post code data, around 30K in total now (from 4 sources, so probably with overlap).

(3)
UK Topo (New Popular Ed.) now locks (on get numbers, preview and pull) the center of the map lon/lat for the northing/easting calculations, which seems to end-up producing lined up tiles, hopefully with not too much distortion (a bit hard to test since NPE is scanned in and not precisely lined up).

PSPLawyer, zsc, that is a bizarre Vista bug since the zip format is quite standard. Anyway I'll try and remember to zip while still in Windows (yes, I develop in a Parallels/Boot Camp environment on a mac, but no, a mac version is not planned any time soon, so do try VirtualPC if you are on a PPC or Parallels/Boot Camp on Intel, Chrislim - moving to Qt will take time).

zsc, I will take a look at removing duplicate POIs, if I enable horizontal scrolling do you want the part that's visible without scrolling to be the POI name or the coordinates? As for a database of POIs - Google, Microsoft, etc. are not a public sources (the Google community layer may be though - haven't read the terms), I would look around for open source POI databases - there may already be something there.

Mysteryman, most EU countries do not make available the source data that would be needed to create geodata.dat files (Denmark is an exception to this I think), see: http://www.publicgeodata.org

meme me, I can't seem to replicate that - could you post what you are doing step-by-step?

ThaNerd, I haven't used CVS before, so it will take some time for me to look at it properly - but I agree it would be a good idea to get the code hosted somewhere and enable contributions, in the meantime I've just taken the % done idea. I'll rename the app first (just looking to come up with something that still abbreviates to GMDL for update purposes :)

I'm going to have a go at hosting pre-made maps made from sources that are free to redistribute:
http://www.in7ane.com/psp/maps_usgs_parks/
http://www.in7ane.com/psp/maps_npe_parks/

zsc
February 18th, 2007, 23:17
@ThaNerd, for hosting, a simple bulletin board (ie, vBulletin, phpBB2, etc.) would do I think, just have people post their POIs with a description in the appropriate section organized by location/country/city, etc. Maybe we can ask if another thread can be added to this forum. There are a lot of file sharing host around already.

@in7ane, a simple button would do, I was thinking that if the user-created POI files database thing works out, ppl can just download the ones they want, add them one by one to a single POI file, click a button and all the duplicated POIs go away. Extracting from zip file isn't that big of a deal really, i used winrar, problem solved.

There are a lot of ppl still clueless about MapThis as well as GMDL from what I read about in the comments for the post about MapThis 0.47 on QJ.net. I'm still working on the FAQ/Tutorials for MapThis and GMDL. There's a wiki on it already, anyone know how I can update that thing?

PSPLawyer
February 19th, 2007, 00:03
@PSPLawyer, I'm guessing that you're running Windows Vista and you tried to "extract all", am I correct? I had the same problem, if in fact that is the case.

Instead of using the Vista's built-in support for zip files, I had to use WinRAR to extract the contents of the gmdl zip file, that solved that problem. It's weird, only In7ane's zip files gave me this problem, all others are fine.

@In7ane, how are you zipping the files? Are you running Mac OS X?
@zsc and in7ane: Actually, I'm on XP. But I did try zsc's idea of using winrar and it worked. Thanks. However, I'm still getting the error when I click on "geodata" button once inside gmdl tool.

I was able to find a geodata file of CA on a thread. But how it this functional/practical? I was able to find a location but I'd like to know how to get to that same location from wherever I am using GPS. Kinda like getting directions. How is this possible? Is there anyway to get turn-by-turn directions?

AZImmortal
February 19th, 2007, 08:19
Hi in7ane, thanks for implementing my suggestions, they're super. I have another idea that I think would be great for GMDL. Instead of having the midpoint text simply say "Midpoint", would it be possible to implement an option to have it say what the next upcoming turn will be so that we'll know what to look ahead for? Something along the lines of this:

2.0 Mi
Upcoming turn: Left at Main St

zsc
February 19th, 2007, 14:15
PSPLawyer, does it gives any specific error message? See if you can take a screenshot of the error, hold down ALT and press PrntScrn, paste image into MS Paint, save as JPEG, put it up on photobucket or something, then link it here.

zsc
February 19th, 2007, 14:29
the geodata file for CA contains all addresses and the associated geographical coordinates i think. if you're in LA like me, you probably dont need addresses for Sacramento and such. I'll post the one i made for my big map, it has LA county, Orange, Ventura, San Bernandino, ... and two other counties that I cannot remember. As for directions, since the maps are just images, I don't think it's possible to get turn-by-turn directions just yet. Unless you use GMDL to create a set of POI and use them as waypoints, haven't tried it yet. Then again, most of the time I used the geodata address lookup is when I'm running errands and didn't plan in advance to go to where I wanted to go. The thing with geodata address lookup is that it put a marker on the address you're trying to get to, that i think is half the battle.

While MapThis isnt as good as your over-the-counter GPS Nav System, it's perfect for someone who are used to the Thomas Guides, those big map books, like me. I don't like having someone or something telling me where to turn, it's annoying. This is not to say that the feature is not welcomed though. I hope MapThis gets to that point one day.

Mystheryman
February 19th, 2007, 15:19
Mysteryman, most EU countries do not make available the source data that would be needed to create geodata.dat files (Denmark is an exception to this I think), see: http://www.publicgeodata.org

Uhm.
That's really bad.
Are there any alternative methods out there?

Like reading the Streetnames out of the Maps?

PSPLawyer
February 19th, 2007, 17:11
Deleted.

PSPLawyer
February 19th, 2007, 17:14
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s164/Drdoom182/Screenshot.jpg

Here is the screenshot zsc. Thanks for all your help.

zsc
February 20th, 2007, 01:00
so this happens every time you click the geodata button?

taspankya
February 20th, 2007, 06:21
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s164/Drdoom182/Screenshot.jpg

Here is the screenshot zsc. Thanks for all your help.

i also get an error along those lines when i choose to add geodata for a map that i have already created that doesnt have any geodata. if you create a map from scratch and remember to check the 'add geo data US only' or whatever it says button when you make a map from the get go it will work and a geodata file will be created i noticed.

PSPLawyer
February 20th, 2007, 06:48
so this happens every time you click the geodata button?
every time, without fail.

in7ane
February 20th, 2007, 13:39
http://www.in7ane.com/psp/gmdl0.4.6b.zip

(1)
True custom maps that are fully GPS compatible, courtesy of MapCruncher by Microsoft Research ( http://research.microsoft.com/mapcruncher/ , you may also want to read http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa907679.aspx )

Example (converted to JPEG since PNG version was 131MB):
http://www.in7ane.com/mc/7pr/_MC_JPG_SHIFT.zip (GPSFS map 7MB)
http://www.in7ane.com/mc/7pr/ (Local.Live mashup)
http://www.in7ane.com/mc/7pr/7pr.zip (the whole thing, 14MB)

I've also put in an option (off by default) to fill empty tiles (with a small jpg/png), since I'm experiencing some crashes in Map This! which seem to occur if the leftmost tile being loaded is empty (seems to be specific to jpg maps as well), deniska - any ideas, or is it just me?

(2)
Name change (if you can do better with something that abbreviates to GMDL I'd welcome suggestions), and I would also like to know if people have an opinion about switching away from Google Maps to Local.Live as the navigation basis for the app, given Microsoft's much better attitude (un-watermarked and unlimited satellite imagery, documentation on how to pull tiles, support of TerraServer-USA, and tools like MapCruncher).

zsc, the POI and directions columns no longer auto-size, and name is the first one. There's also a button to remove duplicated for POIs. About the wiki - just click edit next to the section you want to edit, make sure to use preview and have a read of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Editing

UK Topo NPE maps - having the tiles aligned does cause a very noticeable offset at the edges of the map (tested on a 8 to 2 of London), so now you can either have the option to be aligned of better GPS compatibility (or wait until the server starts accepting lat/lon requests).

AZImmortal, I think Map This! uses the MIDPOINT marker to treat the point differently, so it needs to be there - either way directions are changing for the next version, so I will wait until that is out to see how an upcoming turn can be implemented (have you tried setting WARNINGDISTANCE= in mapViewer/system/config.txt to a larger value to get a similar effect?). Alternatively I can stick whatever fits onto the same line as the distance remaining, something like this: 0.1mi - Turn left at Ea...

PSPLawyer, it looks like the dlls are not where they should be, could you post the whole text of the error, also do your directory contents/structure look like this:

../Geodata & Map Download & Load.exe
../Geodata & Map Download & Load.pdb
../icons/..
../usgs_tiger/..
../config.txt
../resources/..
../geodata/..
../ZipForge.xml
../zlib.net.dll
../ZipForge.dll
../Geodata & Map Download & Load.vshost.exe

---

People seem to be already way ahead of me with scanning Russian topographic maps: http://velotourism.ru/navigator/topomaps/index.html seems to have extensive coverage and there are select better quality ones at http://mapy.mk.cvut.cz/news.htm guess I'll post up anything I do convert to GPSFS

Chrislim
February 20th, 2007, 15:54
Another great job in7ane
Got a Question are we able to use to the map from Mapking or OZI for PSP
how should it be convert and what are the tools needed to convert them .
sorry for asking
thanks a million

in7ane
February 20th, 2007, 16:29
Chrislim, OZI Explorer: File/Save Map To Image File and then processing the file in MapCruncher should work, Mapking ( if http://www.mapking.com/en/ ?) seems to be a vector map format - so if there is no export to bitmap option you could try taking a whole lot of screenshots (maybe you can get the window to be large enough to show the full map at closest zoom and then take a print screen of the active window).

PSPLawyer
February 20th, 2007, 17:15
in7ane, here is my structure:

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s164/Drdoom182/structure.jpg

PSPLawyer
February 20th, 2007, 17:25
in7ane, here is the error message in word format:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1Z3BEIVB

PSPLawyer
February 20th, 2007, 17:38
in7ane, the above issue are now moot: Your new release fixed the problem. I noticed you put the GMDL folder as the first folder and main directory and I think this may have been a factor in correcting the error I was always getting. This time I used winzip with success and didn't have to use winrar.

in7ane
February 20th, 2007, 18:11
PSPLawyer, others, the exe needs to be in the same directory as the two dlls and the following directories:

../icons/..
../usgs_tiger/..
../resources/..
../geodata/..

and config.txt if you use it

zsc
February 20th, 2007, 18:59
@in7ane, I've actually been using Live.Local for my maps download instead of Google. With Live.Local, I can get better zoom for satellite/aerial images for the US, though elsewhere in the world, I think Google still has the upperhand. I live in Los Angeles and Live Local coverage is pretty good. However, I've been checking out maps for Chiang Mai, Thailand, and Google has pretty good Satellite images of the area.

Global Maps Download Tool (GMDL)...how's that?

PSPLawyer
February 20th, 2007, 19:07
@zsc, I too am in Los Angeles. Do you have a good Los Angeles or Los Angeles and OC map to share?

My Los Angeles map is two-fold. Central and out towards Pomona and my other map is of Santa Monica and Valley. I'd like to have just one map of Los Angeles.

THanks.

ThaNerd
February 20th, 2007, 19:41
@in7ane: Did you even check out my version of your app? I mean, you didn't comment about my ideas, i try to help, but all the changes i made to make your app BETTER are voided everytime you release a new version, since you don't use them...

Actually, why making it "open source" if you don't take the benefit of what other try to do for helping?

in7ane
February 20th, 2007, 22:03
ThaNerd, thanks for the contributions - it takes time to dig through the results of diff though, and MapCruncher support was too neat not to release immediately, anyway I think I've found all the changes now so I will release a new version tomorrow morning after moving them across. Change by change comments coming later :)

DennyPSP
February 20th, 2007, 23:12
To in7ane

Thanks for your big work..
This program simply super..
I have made already a map of city from PNG file and tomorrow her I shall check up with GPS-290
But there is one big problem - the program does not work with photos more 9000х9500 pix...
It as can be corrected that?

AZImmortal
February 21st, 2007, 00:50
AZImmortal, I think Map This! uses the MIDPOINT marker to treat the point differently, so it needs to be there - either way directions are changing for the next version, so I will wait until that is out to see how an upcoming turn can be implemented (have you tried setting WARNINGDISTANCE= in mapViewer/system/config.txt to a larger value to get a similar effect?). Alternatively I can stick whatever fits onto the same line as the distance remaining, something like this: 0.1mi - Turn left at Ea...

Hi in7ane, I never took notice of the warningdistance value before, but now that I've played around with it I see how it works. Is this value measuring in a specific unit? If it's not too much trouble for you to implement, I think that putting the upcoming turn information into the same line as the distance remaining would be handy, even if it needs to be truncated for longer street names. I like knowing what the next turn should be as early as possible.

in7ane
February 21st, 2007, 12:14
http://www.in7ane.com/psp/gmdl0.4.7b.zip

AZImmortal, upcoming directions are in, check List Upcoming to activate.

ThaNerd, the changes were percentages in download and 2nd try download and a change to the preview html - those are in. Let me know if I missed anything.

zsc, thanks - Global Map Download it is.

DennyPSP, MapCruncher? could you post/link to the source image(s) - guess you can cut them up if the limit is on the individual image, if it is on the total map size - create two maps and then combine the tiles (you may have to sort out overlap by hand or I can try and write an app to combine maps).

AZImmortal
February 21st, 2007, 14:43
I just tried it out and it's just what I was looking for, thanks in7ane. However, it seems that there's a bug where all of the Midpoints are using circle icons instead of the normal waypoint dots (either that or the Midpoints are now using the path point icon).

in7ane
February 21st, 2007, 15:35
AZImmortal, check Legacy Mode - however the directions file will then stop working with next release of Map This!, I think.

Chrislim
February 21st, 2007, 16:19
@in7ane thanks for the info for using OZI Map for PSP
will checkout the MapCruncher

Chrislim
February 21st, 2007, 17:39
To in7ane
Thanks for your hard works
the new version of gmdl0.4.7b.zip
Got the MapABC (China )in it
I am going to do a map of Beijing
thanks a million
you are great man
cheers

zsc
February 21st, 2007, 19:31
@PSPLawyer, if I remember correctly, my map of LA covers zoom 8 -> -1, x=87, y=204. However, I only got detailed zooms of the 5x5 grids centered on the grid below the one that covers Downtown. The size of the map is almost 800MB.

I'm thinking of making a better, more detailed map, but so far, the file sizes have exceeded the 1.9GB mark my mem stick can handle.

This is what i'm thinking of doing next, 8->-2 zoom, x&y same as above, covers detailed zoom of only 5x5, same as above. For this man, i'm thinking of splicing both MSN and MSN hybrid images together. I'm going to download both with "No GPSFS" checked and replace certain tiles with the MSN hybrid images.

@in7ane, does that sound possible? replacing individual image file with another. If I make the two maps with the same criteria, it should be fine right?

@PSPLawyer, so yea, that's what I got now and what i'll be doing. If you still want to take a look at it, i'll figure out a way to upload it to a server or something, it'll take a few days to do so, upload speed aint that fast.

deniska
February 21st, 2007, 20:33
This is what i'm thinking of doing next, 8->-2 zoom, x&y same as above, covers detailed zoom of only 5x5, same as above. For this man, i'm thinking of splicing both MSN and MSN hybrid images together. I'm going to download both with "No GPSFS" checked and replace certain tiles with the MSN hybrid images.

@in7ane, does that sound possible? replacing individual image file with another. If I make the two maps with the same criteria, it should be fine right?

Make sure you don't mix jpegs with pngs in one map..

zsc
February 21st, 2007, 21:40
thanks for the heads up. I wasn't sure what you meant so I did a test run with a small map.

MSN => PNG
MSN Hybrid => JPEG

I'll probably create a batch action within photoshop to convert those PNG's into low quality JPEGs. So far with the small map I made, the streets (MSN & MSNh) lined up...as they should. This is goin to take some time, a 1->0 map contains 20 images. The batch action won't take long, though the manual copy&paste will, especially since I gotta figure out what to replace. Maybe I'll just make the whole -1 zoom level to be MSNh and leave the rest as MSN.

DennyPSP
February 21st, 2007, 22:10
To in7ane

This map (45MB) in PNG not working in MaPCruncher
http://ifolder.ru/1182006

Thanks for your idea. bu a can`t combine maps.
I was slice map for 4 part and MapCruncher be worked with 1-4 part..
How i can combine part of maps in MapCruncher?
Help please, we have many map of OziExplorer but when save map in PNG - file made is big, not worked in MapCruncher.

As I to choose zoom which to me it can is necessary the program creates very much a big map of city approximately 700 MB, the some people zoom to me are not necessary to remove as them in MapCruncher?

in7ane
February 22nd, 2007, 10:48
DennyPSP, just add another source map - if you place them all in one layer they will get rendered into one directory. (keep in mind that if you are using topomaps.ru maps you will need to cut off the sides beforehand though).

About moscow2004-big.png, that specific file may be corrupted since the one from http://gps-map.net/karty-ozi-explorer--goroda/moskva-5.html seems to be bigger (however it still doesn't load - may be a ram limit or you can try and e-mail the MapCruncher people to ask them if there is a limit for how large an image you can use).

With zoom - you can set the closest zoom (you will have to do it for each source image) in the Source Info tab in MapCruncher.

see: http://research.microsoft.com/mapcruncher/tutorial/

DennyPSP
February 22nd, 2007, 11:47
To in7ane
I did as you speak - all parts of map in one layer, but they are not combined also each piece of a map is in the window.. I shall make video and I shall show if not clearly...

http://gps-map.net/karty-ozi-explore.../moskva-5.html this is my map moscow2004-big.png just little slice.
I write the mail to MapCrunchers people...

in7ane
February 22nd, 2007, 13:16
DennyPSP, try clicking on the layer name (eg. New Layer) - it should show all the segments that you have in it together.

ThaNerd
February 22nd, 2007, 17:01
@in7ane

What i changed is documented in "ThaNerd-Changes.txt" in the folder with all sources... Most of the work was about changing the "Anchor" attribute of most controls so that they move/resize along when enlarging the window...

rhygin
February 22nd, 2007, 22:25
@in7ane
I just tried setting up a small route in my home town in Germany and noticed that it only works with google.
If I try to use map24 (de.map24.com) it does not work; probably because the "Get Values" button is not active so I cannot get the values and thus no waypoints are generated.
Is there a way to fix this?

in7ane
February 23rd, 2007, 01:06
http://www.in7ane.com/psp/gmdl0.4.8b.zip

ThaNerd, those are in now (please confirm if you have time). Thank you very much going through all of that and improving the interface. And sorry I messed up on the updates. A good thing to come out of it though - zsCompare does wonders for carrying over stuff.

Also, continuing on from MapCruncher tests: http://www.in7ane.com/topomaps/ but making online maps is sidetracking from the psp a bit I guess (once I have more area covered and properly aligned I'll make it into a source).

rhygin, you have to search for the directions within the map24 site then click list - it rips them out of the webdocument.

deniska
February 23rd, 2007, 07:16
in7ane, sorry I did not have much time this week to code nor respond to posts...
could you post an example of a map that crashes the program? - you mentioned it ~ 2 pages back...

rhygin
February 23rd, 2007, 09:09
@in7ane
That is exactly what I did but I always get a popup window with the message:
There are 0 POIs

in7ane
February 23rd, 2007, 14:21
deniska, http://www.in7ane.com/psp/maps_various/_Algonquin_JPEG.zip will crash if you zoom in straight after opening the map (ie without a preset location), however if you scroll up and then zoom in it will be fine (bottom half of the map is empty).

rhygin, could you post a from-to for which this happens (they probably changed the site a bit - I'll update the app then).

People were asking about EU geodata - if somebody really wants it, it may be an idea trying to see what can be extracted out of openstreetmap.org (you'll get street names, and in dense European cities this may be sufficient). I will try to setup Canadian geodata in the next few weeks (Statistics Canada publishes a TIGER/Line like dataset in GML).

rhygin
February 23rd, 2007, 14:46
@in7ane
Hi I just used your latest GMDL and noticed that the resizing does not work 100%
If you decrease the size too much then some buttons overlap others and you cannot activate the hidden ones.
On my laptop 1024X768 it is not possible to see all buttons at all because I connot enlarge enough

DennyPSP
February 23rd, 2007, 20:37
To in7ane

Thanks I have found where to put scale but I do not understand 1 moment look at this
http://ifolder.ru/1199003
video at me scale why that another

And here video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDrcYar0vwA
if look at me it is impossible to unite some maps in
one and it is shown that big maps do not open in this program.
Is better the program works with files PDF when I code PNG-> PDF that the file opens..
PNG the same file before coding does not open...
Thanks for your program, hope we together her we shall improve...

RE
deniska, http://www.in7ane.com/psp/maps_vario...nquin_JPEG.zip will crash if you zoom in straight after opening the map (ie without a preset location), however if you scroll up and then zoom in it will be fine (bottom half of the map is empty).

This map perfect work on my PSP :)

How you have made the big scale in this map?
At me after translation in your program for me zoom 5 only and a map not full view at coding you specified what options?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08uEx2UCygY

leaod
February 24th, 2007, 00:30
Hi guys,
Using the GMDL tool and the Mapthis I found some problems for UK maps.

GMDL:
Aways when i tryed to generate the geodata.dat file using 0.46 or 0.48 versions, both crash and said to me that there is program error.

Map this:
Amazing application, but I think that for UK need to be fixed at some points.

After I've generated my geodata file, I was trying to use on Mapthis but it cant find nothing, either the most famous streets. Another problem is the Postal Code is just 5 chars and cant find anyone as well, so make me think that maybe the geodata file for UK is not working with map this.

Now Im dreaming, but we have some mark points, but I can't actually plan a journey with then.

Another nice thing is that maybe this forum could share the maps and POIs from a lot of places and users (customized maps) so the people could get better and existent information here than downloading by theirself. Its like create the wheel again ;)

Congratulations guys for that nice job, free for every one and really impressive.

Im a graphic designer and if I can help you guys please let me know.

Sorry about my english (brazilian guy in London).

deniska
February 24th, 2007, 02:29
@leaod,
UK geodata is not really a finished feature, so hang on...
If you want to help with graphics, see if you can improve the imagery in system folder.. (just keep the dimentions the same

leaod
February 24th, 2007, 15:28
@deniska
Nice one, this week I will spend some time trying to improve that graphics. I will post it soon.
Cheers

deniska
February 24th, 2007, 22:22
FYI, I posted yet beta version for generic gps units... Here is the link:
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=364604#post364604

haizad
February 25th, 2007, 03:07
in7ane
first of all...i would like to say thanks and great work to deniska and in7ane for 2 really great progs..i think they have come out with the best homebrew progs for the psp. that said..i would like to make some suggestions to in7ane maybe for the next gmdl prog.
1)by default, the browse tab in gmdl shows the google map page..maybe you can link this to the map source chosen ..like when the user chooses msn map..the browse tab would show the msn map page because some places are not covered by google map.
2)the map shown is usually far bigger than the actual map that is shown when the user previews it..maybe the map could be the same size as the map to be downloaded..this would make choosing the map you want to download far easier for noobs like me.

i hope in7ane would consider putting in these features in the next release.great job and thanks..:thumbup:

JoQ
February 25th, 2007, 16:57
Right now im making a map thats for all my area (city) and it has been on for 3 hours (65%) :P
If i want to have a bigger area without remaking everything just to get slightly more, is that possible? How do i "lap" together two maps into one?

deniska
February 25th, 2007, 18:42
Right now im making a map thats for all my area (city) and it has been on for 3 hours (65%) :P
If i want to have a bigger area without remaking everything just to get slightly more, is that possible? How do i "lap" together two maps into one?

Combining maps is nearly impossible...
You best bet is to make another map with a different zoom range (perhaps you don't need super detailed zooms)

kano85
February 25th, 2007, 20:10
hey iwould like to download the latest gmdl4.4.0 i think the link on the page 40 dont work :/ where i can find another one

zsc
February 25th, 2007, 20:23
here's the latest version of gmdl, http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=363075&postcount=478

kano85
February 25th, 2007, 20:46
thx :) im on gpslim which version of mapthis i have to use ?

zsc
February 26th, 2007, 00:42
read my sig above, go with the 0.488 beta.

if you havent done so already, download 0.46 and 0.488, copy and paste the contents of 0.488 download into the mapViewer (no %) folder of 0.46. make sure you go through config.txt in the 'system' folder and turn FAKEFEED=0.

Quicksilversvt
February 26th, 2007, 13:58
Can someone help me make a map. I've read all the FAQ's and it just isn't clicking in for me. How can I make a map from scratch. Please help cause I'd really like to get this working.

zsc
February 26th, 2007, 18:55
How to create a map using GMDL:

Latest version of GMDL: 0.4.8b

1. Download and extract gmdl0.4.8b, all the files needed for GMDL to run are in '\gmdl0.4.8b\GMDL\bin\Debug' folder.

2. Execute 'Global Map Download Tool.exe'.

3. Using the Google map view, navigate to the area desire.

4. Click 'Advanced' button in the lower left corner.

5. In the box that shows up, click 'Get Numbers'.

6. Select the type of map from the list on the left.

7. In the Advanced box, select 'Preview', verify that the area shown in the center box is the one you want, if not, click 'Browse' tab, adjust the map (zoom in, zoom out, move it around), click 'Get Numbers' and 'Preview'.

8. Set the minimum zoom level, for MapThis! to work properly, zoom level must be greater or equal than '-2'.

9. If you want 'geodata.dat' to be added to the map, check the box 'Add GeoData.DAT (US only)', for US maps ONLY.

10. Click 'Set Dir' up top and choose the destination where map will be saved, must begin with '_' (underscore character), ie. '_Los Angeles'.

11. In the Advanced box, click 'Pull Files'.

12. A window will pop up, select zoom levels that you want in the upper left corner, only the checked zoom level will be downloaded.

13. In the 8x8 grid, uncheck any area that you dont want to download a detailed map for.

14. Click the bar on the top.

15. Sit back until map is created, place it in 'mapViewer\maps\' on your PSP.

zsc
February 26th, 2007, 19:15
I wrote the above instructions up from memory, the gmdl program is creating the GPSFS files from a 10GB map so I can't access any of the features. Please let me know if anything needs to be corrected/added.

Oh, the reason I have a 10GB map is because I made a MSN hybrid map of LA from zoom level 8 -> -1, 5x5 grid in the tiles selection. I know it isnt going to fit on any memorystick pro duo in existence, but I'm only using it to get some tiles and splice it with another MSN map of LA (regular) with the same specs.

deniska
February 26th, 2007, 20:42
@in7ane,
This is just an idea, but perhaps we could mirror the google's startup page that is used in the tool and customize it (remove all non-relevant links/logos and data)... if you can trim it down to a few static files - I'd try to host it at dcemu...

FYI, yet another beta for generic GPS units version: http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=366051#post366051

monkeyboy1982
February 27th, 2007, 01:01
Hi in7ane,
A request for you:

Is their any chance of you incorporating Ordnance Survey Maps (UK only) for download in your next update please? I'd be very grateful.
http://getamap.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/getamap/frames.htm

Thanks in advance.

darkgrace
February 27th, 2007, 04:59
Sony GPS Users...

I'm using the sony 290 module running 3.03oec and MapThis newest beta, first off.

Everything's working like a charm, except I can't acquire the satellites. I noticed deniska wrote in an earlier post you had problems acquiring with the Sony gps module (upwards of 5 minutes), but I can't get anything after any amount of time...any secrets you've uncovered recently?

When I loaded in San Diego, everything was working well, but now I'm out in Hawaii and I've got zilch. I've messed with the config file locations, to no avail. I'm running with the wifi turned off and no UMD, still no avail. Any help would be appreciated.