PDA

View Full Version : Custom Firmware?

tuta
August 22nd, 2006, 05:22
Ok well just been playin my psp for few weeks and onli played with emulators so far along with devhook planin to get a 8gig card or 4gig but read a thread that 8 gig cant be used on 1.5 and says custom firm might beable to next time so im wonderin what it is?

to start off:

1.What is it actualy?

2.So what benefit does custom firmwares gives?

3.Read a faq on it that it tricks psp to read .elf files is it safe in anyway?Will it brick ur psp or any harm would be caused or its just like devhook that doesnt write to flash?

4.If it is a firmware why not let devhook boot up a custom firmware like 2.71 emulation?

5.Read another thread in this forum that 8gig cards dun work with 1.5fw and custom fw might be able to let it work how true is this?

JD/
August 22nd, 2006, 08:42
Custom firmware is firmware that has been modified using elf files to load prx files in firmware to let the user manipulate firmware.
Custom firmware can be very useful because it can revive bricked or partially bricked PSPs it can also load homebrew applications on start up and gives you the option of changing backgrounds and gameboot files without the chance of bricking.
I am not sure if custom firmware has been emulated yet but theoretically all you would have to do is make a dump of 1.5 and add the custom firmware files to it.
I think in the future it will be possible to load 8gig mem sticks using customfirmware if someone can get the PSP to utilize fat32 instead of fat16.

tuta
August 22nd, 2006, 10:23
So you're sayin its safe to play about rite but having custom firmware does it change any parts of ur original firmware?Does it still think its 1.5?
And is it a permanent effect or you have to load it by eboots?

M!ckeY
August 22nd, 2006, 11:12
yes, your psp will remain a 1.5 with the custom firmare installed, and it is a permanent effect, unless ofcourse you remove it :)

tuta
August 22nd, 2006, 15:12
ok got will try it out then thx and which custom firmwares do yo all recommend?

JD/
August 22nd, 2006, 18:25
harleygs custom firmware 0.2 is what im using its awesome :) all it does is add two files to your firmware and you can easily go back if you dont like it using recovery mode. It can also let you hide corrupt icons automatically and let you boot 1.0 eboots without k-xploiting. just remember to follow the intructions carefully when you install it.

darkest_god
August 22nd, 2006, 18:29
heloo im new to emu but im interested i bought a psp at 2.71 and up graded r there no other ways for me to get emulation besides loco roco and that soccer game? help cuz im bored of psp1!!

Video_freak
August 22nd, 2006, 18:31
heloo im new to emu but im interested i bought a psp at 2.71 and up graded r there no other ways for me to get emulation besides loco roco and that soccer game? help cuz im bored of psp1!!
Sorry, 2.7-2.8 firmwares can only play flash applications:
http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/psp-flash-homebrew.shtml

The EX
August 22nd, 2006, 18:31
I reccomend Lordsturms v3 as it is stable and very good! Plus I use it and love it....and I beta tested it :D

darkest_god
August 22nd, 2006, 18:36
ok thats kool this thingy rocks but i still wish i oculd play gba gang!

Video_freak
August 22nd, 2006, 18:36
ok thats kool this thingy rocks but i still wish i oculd play gba gang!
Just DON'T UPDATE in the future. A hack could come out. ;)

darkest_god
August 22nd, 2006, 18:37
so uhh where do i put these files?.....=( (idiot)

darkest_god
August 22nd, 2006, 18:38
ok i guess yur right

Video_freak
August 22nd, 2006, 18:38
The flash files? You put them in the root of your memory stick then open them through the PSP's web browser. This isn't the right thread, so if you get stuck, start another one. ;)