PDA

View Full Version : Games Industry Failing Women

wraggster
August 22nd, 2006, 19:31
Via Spong (http://news.spong.com/article/10626/Games+Industry+Failing+Wimin)

EA’s chief operating officer for EA's worldwide studios, David Gardner, claimed that the videogame industry is continuing to fail women, at a speech given in Edinburgh yesterday.

Gardner told the assembled audience up in Scotland: "We have all been talking about this for a long, long time… We are only reaching a small proportion - not only geographically but also genetically.”

He stressed that the industry needs to "create some mega hits in the girl space."

Interestingly enough, what with yesterday's news that Sony is soon to be introducing a new pink PS2 and PSP, Gardner claimed that women don’t just want ‘pink’ games, noting that: "They are not trying to play girly games where Paris Hilton and Britney Spears go shopping and put make-up on. Those kind of things have not been that successful."

Instead, as an example of the type of game that women do want he held up the example of EA’s 40 million selling mega-buster The Sims, with over 70% of Sims players being women under 25.

"The Sims is really a game about relationships - and that's what girls want - they want relationships, they want to be able to chat." Gardner went on to outline his vision for developing these “mega hits in the girl space” he has in mind, which is simply for more companies to invest in better creative teams run by women.

“Four of our 11 studios around the world are run by women. That's an important start,” he declared.

So what’s driving Gardner’s concern with making better games to appeal to women? A feminist concern for equality? Not likely. No, it’s purely that old bottom-line. He claims that if EA were to solve this problem then they could add a billion dollars to sales.

Of course, Gardner isn't the first human to realise selling games to people with ovaries is a good idea, and there was a certain amount of awkward muttering of Nintendo's recent triumphs in the oestrogen arena, a factor the EA exec seemingly overlooked.

Indeed, Nintendo's recent financial positionings, aimed squarely at spiking investor confidence following a lengthy R&D phase and preceding a costly production and marketing drive, have been thickly applying the assertion that Nintendo has already cracked selling videogames to women.

Although most analysts find Nintendo's claims sit somewhere in between the over-egged and the slightly disingenuous, the fact stands that Nintendogs, Brain Training, Animal Crossing and Tetris have all found a welcome home in the handbags of women, especially in Japan.

In SPOnG's opinion, a good marketing push in women's consumer/lifesytle magazines from Just 17 through to Vogue in the US and Europe in the coming months could well successfully position a DS Lite equipped with Opera browsing software as the must have handbag gizmo this winter season, transcending most traditional age and income-bracket barriers.

Video_freak
August 22nd, 2006, 19:33
Only one women in my life is attracted to video games (and she's not actually in my life I met her on a plane :p)

Gene
August 22nd, 2006, 19:51
i kniow like 4 girls who play the sims. i guess they do like that stuff

Sterist
August 22nd, 2006, 20:08
Via Spong (http://news.spong.com/article/10626/Games+Industry+Failing+Wimin)

Gardner claimed that women don’t just want ‘pink’ games, noting that: "They are not trying to play girly games where Paris Hilton and Britney Spears go shopping and put make-up on. Those kind of things have not been that successful."

rofl!! we're discovering the new species

"what do they want? what do they like? whats their environment like? do they like food?"

SnoopKatt
August 22nd, 2006, 20:43
They want a Gilmore Girls game with lots of snappy talking. That's the show that almost every girl I know watches.

slayer2psp
August 22nd, 2006, 20:49
i dont know any woman who give a flying f**k about any games. my last girlfriend liked sonic and board games on a system like clue but thats about it. she could really care less

muffinman
August 22nd, 2006, 20:59
i know girls who like video games. genereally it is the sims (a panzies game in my eyes), but alot of them play mario etc and some play counter strike and other fps.

you can't tell what women want

10shu
August 22nd, 2006, 21:01
So what next?? game just for blacks, midget, or pedophil???why should they be game just for girl or guy...?!

here my girlfriend 5 fav games:

GTA san andreas
dead or alive4
super monkey ball
brain academy
dead rising

ACID
August 22nd, 2006, 21:01
I have only nown one girl in my 30 years that liked video games. Actually she was a hard core gamer. But thats about all. Thats the reason i made a game room my wife doesnt like them.

PShadow
August 22nd, 2006, 21:03
Forgot Harvest Moon. Trust me, my girlfriend's always hoggin the ps2 because of IT.

Mr.Denny
August 22nd, 2006, 21:08
The games industry does "fail" women.

I can`t believe Sonys idea of targeting the female market is releasing a pink PSP. :(

poopee123
August 22nd, 2006, 22:35
So what next?? game just for blacks, midget, or pedophil???why should they be game just for girl or guy...?!

here my girlfriend 5 fav games:

GTA san andreas
dead or alive4
super monkey ball
brain academy
dead rising

dude i don't know any girls that would like DOA4 or DEAD RISING, so i can only come to the conclusion that u either don't have a girlfriend, or she's a lesbian and hasn't told u yet.

let's face it... girl's don't like videogames. if u want to sell games to girls, make more games like 'bejeweled' and 'nintendogs' but put them on cell phones, and then make the installation ridiculously easy. THEN they'll play games.

Basil Zero
August 23rd, 2006, 00:05
LMAO!!

I dont know any girls who play video games.....

really dont care, but i have to say nintendo's a genius in making games that people who usually dont like games but still play it

10shu
August 23rd, 2006, 00:22
dude i don't know any girls that would like DOA4 or DEAD RISING, so i can only come to the conclusion that u either don't have a girlfriend, or she's a lesbian and hasn't told u yet.

let's face it... girl's don't like videogames. if u want to sell games to girls, make more games like 'bejeweled' and 'nintendogs' but put them on cell phones, and then make the installation ridiculously easy. THEN they'll play games.

lol...I dunno maybe she didn t tell me that she a lesbienne yet(hum...I hope you re right:p ) or you maybe need to meet more girls ...;).

assuming girl only like game like nintendogs and bejewled is been a little short minded don t you think?

poopee123
August 23rd, 2006, 23:31
lol...I dunno maybe she didn t tell me that she a lesbienne yet(hum...I hope you re right:p ) or you maybe need to meet more girls ...;).

assuming girl only like game like nintendogs and bejewled is been a little short minded don t you think?

hahaahhaha... all right TENSHU... u must know alot of girls or something lol.

assuming that most chicks play only bejeweled and nintendogs is a pretty valid assumption cause all the girls i know that play games play bejeweled on their cellphones. lets face it those are the only games they're interested in, cause they don't like gun violence or action. why do u think guys play w/ action figures when they're kids whereas girls play house? the odd ones play like.. final fantasy, but those are usually the fat/ugly/goth/skinny fob chicks buddy. ie the unwanted ones. which is why u need games that actually appeal to their interest. and what might that be u ask? buying clothes/accessories, making things match in color, coordinating their clothing, decorating some crap, making things look pretty, having a cute fuzzy pet, skankin' it up... u get the picture. that's why 'the sims' does so well.

and on a final note, most chicks i know can't even turn on a console let alone play a game on it LOL. girl's minds just aren't wired for technology. like, how many times do i need to show a chick how to burn a DVD before she can do it by herself? my last gf thought her car was busted cause she couldn't turn the ignition. turned out the STEERING WHEEL LOCK was on LOL.

oh yeah, they do have a game for blacks. it's called 50 CENT: BULLETPROOF... AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
i' m just kidding. :P

10shu
August 27th, 2006, 19:35
shit! how do u know than i am tenshu!!!;)

hiplikebadass
September 3rd, 2006, 13:38
women like strategy and puzzle games. ex:
my sister likes command and conquer. conquer online. rampart. the sims. bejeweled. various pop cap games. and some women like games like counter strike sonic contra and i know women of each variaty. fact is

-gaming is a male stereotype and women agree so because it's enforced as a nerdy male stereotype

-stereotypes reign supreme. what the masses say is what the masses want. women dont like games because it isn't girly and what attracts men is them wearing slutty short shorts skirts and crap like that such as the women stereotype. i mean look at everything races of masses enforce the stereotype with few and far between disprooving them. look at blacks whites texans goths emo's preps new yorkers californians skaters ****ing honestly man! there is no more genius in marketing. for emphasis purposes and so i wont go into a huge 15 page rant. i'm typing this in caps.

FOR A PRODUCT BEING MARKETED TO BE SUCESSFUL THE WORLD MUST REALIZE IT IS RUN BY STEREOTYPES THAT SOMETHING MUST EITHER OBIDE TO SAID STEREOTYPE PERFECTLY OR BE SOMETHING OF THE GENRE TOTALLY DIFFRENT OF SAID GENRE EVER DONE BEFORE THUS EFFECTIVLY MARKETING TO A HUGE AUDIENCE!

look at the nes. they made a product which was new in the gaming world in the sense that. it had a good controller both start and select it fit the style of the time which personally i love the gray brownish hue of everything and the whole wooden tv's stereos and what not. it fit into all your home systems. therefor it matched all your current stuff perfect. it was cheap and it did what it was supposed to. it had a wide library of fun games that for the most part kicked ass. what did atari have? ****ing pac man and pole position honestly you cant win a war with that although both good. nes had both of those along with a good version of tetris. it appealed to the masses with it's looks it had good graphics at the time although not the best it was cheap it was fun it had diffrent new games and it was easy as hell to code for compared to atari's system. and it was small and unobtrusive and that controller can take a beating.

i may not know much about marketing and i do find psp ads to be a tasteless funn humor but. i know that if you make the console cheap. fit in stylishly with your hi-def silver colored tv with your black speakers and blend in not stand out. people will take a second glance at it. women like things to fit where they belong (no joke intended) as in this matches this and this matches this just as well as men do. women like puzzle games strategy games as i said earlier. men like the same as women except they like a little explosion a little "boom" something cooler than what the other guy has.

-this is a rant by me and me alone. a lone freelance developer that codes for dreamcast and will soon be coding for the wii as well. the wii has it. the innovation yet it fits in at the same time. it's small. it's sleek. it has a bunch of cool not so useless gadgets. you can get more gadgets for it. plenty of games on launch. more games to come after launch taht no one else has. supports homebrew community heavily by allowing homebrew apps to be up for download. it's cheap. the ps3 and xbox 360? both big. fat. ugly. nothing new. expensive. they just make your tv look prettier by putting some colors on it. 360 will be a far second but will succeed and might beat nintendo next round. ps3 will be a flop but i'm sure sony will bounce back up. the wii? that'll win in my opinion.

-and for that sexist show a girl how to burn a dvd over and over again comment. i know more guys that dont know shit about computer sthan girls. it's an equal trade off. i see just as many girls into computers as men.