PDA

View Full Version : [Pre-Noob] How does all this homebrew stuff work?

L-28C
August 22nd, 2006, 22:05
Hello everyone!
First of all, hello, I'm new. :D
Second, my PSP hasn't arrived yet, that's why I posted Pre-Noob...
Now... One of the reasons I wanted my PSP was to run homebrew (I'm a programmer, and I want to make PSP games someday... :p ), but I see all these stuff about the firmware not allowing you to and stuff... Can someone please tell me which firmware I should get? Will I need any hacks or exploits or something? And is there a list of games that force you to upgrade to a non-HB-allowing firmware? Thanks in advance! ;)

Prasoc
August 22nd, 2006, 22:07
Get version 1.50 which has the most homebrew and is most widely used. 1.00 is the first firmware but not alot of homebrew (like DevHook firmware emulator which can run UMD's that require 2.71) run on it.

L-28C
August 22nd, 2006, 22:16
Oohh... Alright! Hey, I forgot to ask, there's people saying that running homebrew can permanently break your PSP... :( How does this happen, and how can I prevent it? Thanks! ;)

NoQuarter
August 22nd, 2006, 22:18
What firmware psp do you have coming,as there are several restrictions(not for long though).?
First you need to make sure you don't have a ta-082 motherboard,downgrader for this motherboard is still in preliminary stages and has not seen a public release yet.
second you cannot currently downgrade 2.7,2.71 or 2.8 firmware.
any psp version up to 2.6 can be downgraded to a 1.5 for running homebrew.

To avoid homebrew from bricking the psp make sure you download from respectable,tried and true sites.
Only cases of bricking I've seen were from improper downgrading and flashing customizations to the firmware(mostly font and gameboot bricking)
Don't get me wrong I've customized the crap out of mine,but tried to stay within safer areas.

L-28C
August 22nd, 2006, 22:22
Ohh... Alright, I'll check whenever it comes to see what firmware and motherboard it has. Thanks! ;)

NoQuarter
August 22nd, 2006, 22:25
no problem,anytime:)
You know how to check the motherboard?

L-28C
August 22nd, 2006, 22:28
Not really... How do you do it? :p

Video_freak
August 22nd, 2006, 22:28
You open your UMD drive and look into the top right corner where theres some green. If there's writing there, then its a TA-082 otherboard. ;)

L-28C
August 22nd, 2006, 23:00
Oh, OK, thanks! :D

Video_freak
August 22nd, 2006, 23:01
Your welcome. And if it is a TA-082, you can't downgrade- yet. Sorry.

ACID
August 22nd, 2006, 23:07
But theres a work in progress so theres still hope just dont upgrade eather