PDA

View Full Version : thinking and need adivce

Dull Blade
August 24th, 2006, 04:22
well heres the dilemma. I'm thinking of getting a psp, but i know little about it. im experienced with the dc and that sort of stuff. well heres my questions.

1) if i buy a psp will i beable to run homebrew/emu out of the box (no down grading required)

2) Is this downgrading possible with any psp (ie version 2.7 to 1.5)

3) What version of psp is best for neo geo cd emu?

4) approx what size of mem card should i get. I want to play neo geo cd on it, maybe 2 games (SamuraiShowdown 1 & 2)

5) about this virus that kills the psp, the bricking it one how do you avoid getting it?

6) how do you fit neo geo cd games onto the mem card there like a whole cd, can it be compress?

thankyou for any help.

Video_freak
August 24th, 2006, 04:24
1) You need to buy a 1.5 PSP. Or a 2.6 or under without a TA-082 motherboard.
2) Downgrading only goes up to 2.6 if you don't have a TA-082 motherboard.
4) I would get at least 2GB if you want movies too.
5) You'd have to get it on purpose... ;)

I don't use Neo Geo CD... :o

M!ckeY
August 24th, 2006, 04:26
neo geo would be better on a 1.5 :)
also, get a big memory stick, since neogeo cd games are huge.

Video_freak
August 24th, 2006, 04:27
neo geo would be better on a 1.5 :)
All emulators are better on 1.5 ;) (except maybe Gameboy) lol

M!ckeY
August 24th, 2006, 04:28
why is gameboy not good on 1.5 , have you not seen gpSP :eek:

-Edit- do you mean GBA or GB/GBC?

Video_freak
August 24th, 2006, 04:29
why is gameboy not good on 1.5 , have you not seen gpSP :eek:
I'm not talking about Gameboy Advance, just regular Gameboy. And I'm saying it doesn't need kernal mode to run fullspeed... :)

M!ckeY
August 24th, 2006, 04:30
oh, ok now i understand what you meant :)

Video_freak
August 24th, 2006, 04:32
oh, ok now i understand what you meant :)
Lol. Btw, nice to see some fellow Californians on this forum. ;) :D

M!ckeY
August 24th, 2006, 04:34
lol, yeah, same here :)
i also live in the bay area, close to San Jose to be exact :eek:

under_0ath777
August 24th, 2006, 05:34
I'm not talking about Gameboy Advance, just regular Gameboy. And I'm saying it doesn't need kernal mode to run fullspeed... :)

listening to gym class heroes while playing pokemon is fun :D

b8a
August 24th, 2006, 12:53
1) if i buy a psp will i beable to run homebrew/emu out of the box (no down grading required)1.50 firmware PSP's (the first ones released outside of Japan) are more-or-less the most desirable systems to have and, yes, there are still LOTS of them on the shelves at various stores. There have been a lot of posts about what information to look for on the box to make sure that it's 1.50, but the easiest check is to look for a value pack (the more expensive pack that was originally released with a memory card, carrying case, etc... It comes in a mostly white box, whereas the new "basic" pack comes in a mostly black box, is cheaper, and doesn't come with as many accessories). There will be a picture of the PSP with it's user interface icons (the XMB) displayed on the front of the box. If there is no globe icon (it would be to the right of the icon that looks like a ps1/ps2 controller), then you're good to go. There is a chance that the system will have either 1.51 or 1.52, but you're still safe because those systems can be upgraded to 2.00 and then downgraded to 1.50. If you research the bar code markings though, you can deffinitively tell what the installed firmware is before you buy it (the problem is that PSP's are usually locked up in cabinets where you can't easily see the bar code area, so the quickest check is the cover pic).

Just today I found eight of these systems. A couple of weeks ago I found one store that still had five. So, they are still out there. Look for stores that aren't as likely to sell out their stocks of PSPs (this shouldn't be hard in Canadia!). I personally bought mine from a bookstore about a year ago. That same store still has at least one 1.50 system in stock.

Mr. Shizzy
August 24th, 2006, 12:56
I'm telling you; get a 4GB memory card. It will cost a little more, but it's well worth it. If you buy a 2GB, you'll just end up buying a 4GB later anyway.

razorak
August 24th, 2006, 13:02
regarding #5

it isn't a virus...it's a possibility that may happen when u flash something onto your PSP and it somehow or rather screwed up, so if u don't flash anything, u're perfectly safe.

uudem
August 24th, 2006, 16:59
I had a 2.6 before I downgraded to 1.5
played NEO GEO CDZ all the time and worked perfectly ;)

although instalation is very hard but u can find exelent guides and some ppl around here are always here to help like Video_freak :)

As for the memory stick if u wanna play only the 2 games that u mentioned and u have a low budget u can get the 1 GB

BUTTTTTT belive me there is so mush to do with the psp that u r going to need a 2GB or higher MS sooner or later
I actually want 1 :rolleyes:

Dull Blade
August 24th, 2006, 17:26
OK, i probably wont be using music or movies on the psp, i have a 30gb ipod video. no about the battery life, since the umd lasor or motor wont be in use will this prolonge the battery life while using homebrew? 2gb seems the way to go and 2.7 is evil. Now one last question, how is the emulation with neo geo cd or regular neo geo (if regular neo geo has been done). As I sasid before i'm really like samurai showdown 1 & 2, in the dreamcast neo emu SS 1 & 2 dont get Background music. is the BGM good in the psp version?