PDA

View Full Version : Whats the Greatest Mario Game Ever?

wraggster
August 25th, 2006, 00:32
This is a network question to users of all our sites, we all love emulation so this fits network wide, the question to you all is

Whats the Greatest Mario Game Ever?

With so many games featuring Mario its gonna be really hard to choose a clear cut game, will it be Mario 3 on Nes, Mario Kart on Snes, Mario64 on N64, Mario World on Snes.

So everyone whats the favourite Mario game amongst the DCEmu members :)

Reply Via Comments

Mario Kart on Snes gets my vote as fave Mario game ever, whats yours :)

Airdevil
August 25th, 2006, 00:36
well its pretty close to SMW on SNES or mario 64.

SMW might JUST be ahead

tedou
August 25th, 2006, 00:36
Mario World on Snes.

QueadlunnRau
August 25th, 2006, 00:39
Although I have to admit Super Mario World for SNES was prolly the best overall, I'd have to vote for "Super Mario Bros." for NES. This is what really started it all, got the NES on the map had hours upon hours of gameplay, had secret levels that never ended ... brings back the most memories.

LazerTag
August 25th, 2006, 00:41
Yep, SMW for SNES

fg-54
August 25th, 2006, 00:42
super mario world!!! snes

Malksta
I would say SMB3 for nes

sko, TheLogicalGamer
That's a tough question but I would have to go with The original Super Mario Bros. then I would have to say Super Mario 64 and then The New Super Mario Bros. on DS.

slayer2psp
August 25th, 2006, 00:45
Mario 64 the first great 3d game

SSaxdude
August 25th, 2006, 00:46
I say Super Mario All Stars + Super Mario World (for SNES) because it included the single best Mario (SMW) plus the amazing three from NES in 16 bit graphics.

gamesquest1
August 25th, 2006, 00:49
I say Super Mario All Stars + Super Mario World (for SNES) because it included the single best Mario (SMW) plus the amazing three from NES in 16 bit graphics.

hah i was thinkin this aswell lol :P but if you can only have 1 mario game it has to be super mario world ....and if anybody is intrested i would like to say i reckon mario brothers 2 was the worst........and not just because nitendeo robbed sombody elses game completly

oh and by the way there was also four old nes games on the smw+ all-stars
mario 1
mario lost levels
mario 2
and mario 3

and also another little fact is that it was actually the game and watch games that started mario off

Junixx
August 25th, 2006, 00:59
Super Mario World, still the best mario game to me on SNES, id say super mario 3 for NES though :)

kschewe
August 25th, 2006, 01:05
smw on snes
sm3
sm2
sm
on nes
overall smw. never had a chance to play on n64. maybe one day if they get the emulator past 15fps

gamesquest1
August 25th, 2006, 01:11
smw on snes
sm3
sm2
sm
on nes
overall smw. never had a chance to play on n64. maybe one day if they get the emulator past 15fps

well play it on a pc n64 emu they are virtually perfect

MBizzle
August 25th, 2006, 01:12
smb 3 on nes

Anger
August 25th, 2006, 01:20
Mario 64 the first great 3d game

took the words right out my mouth - the first fun mario imho and also the first 3d. i didnt enjoy the side scroller, found them too hard, but i took to 64 like a duck to water - not saying it was easy but there are many ways to do the same thing.

Hungry Horace
August 25th, 2006, 01:28
i really dont like Mario games - even though i'm a massive fan of platformers. so i'm gonna go with Mario Kart, since at least there's a half-decent racer in there.

brainpan
August 25th, 2006, 01:28
I have to put my vote for SMB3 because you knew by that point anything goes in regards to the series (magic flutes, tanooki suits, Bowser's children, flying airships, etc). It is one that I find myself returning to pretty often. Mario64 runs a very close second in my opinion because it defined an entire genre. When you look back on the Mario series there are very few similairities between any of the games (besides SMB 2 japan or "The Lost Levels" as Westerners like to call it) yet they all manage to add to the rich smorgesboard that is the Mario universe.

V3N0M
August 25th, 2006, 01:34
Well for me its Super Mario World for the SNES. I guess it the reason its my favorite is because it was one of the first games i ever played. Actualy i think it was the first. But i do think all of the mario games have improved generation after generation of consoles well most anyways there were a few bad ones lol.

jaws365
August 25th, 2006, 01:34
Super Mario Bros 3 on NES
Super Mario Land 2 on GB

Plowking
August 25th, 2006, 01:35
Mario Kart on the SNES for me.

The 2 player racing, and even better, the battle mode, kept me playing that game for years.

And now I play it on the PSP...on my own...sniff!!

Closely followed by SMB 3 on the NES - no saving, no mercy. Just play play play...

luis_05
August 25th, 2006, 01:36
no, no, no.!! are u all forgetting the original mario for NES, that game started it all for everyone!! to me that is still the best mario game ever, despite being 2d, better graphics means nothing

notaforumtroll
August 25th, 2006, 01:38
1> Mario 2 for nes
2> Maro 3 for nes
3> Mario kart for N64

hujiko
August 25th, 2006, 01:39
every obe in the world knows that Super mario world is the best mario game ever i still play it with my friends all the time

Alucard
August 25th, 2006, 01:41
I would have to agree with those who mentioned SMB3 on the NES. Hands down the amount of depth to that game outwieghts all other SMB games.

There was just something I loved about getting all of the different costumes on every board. The flutes were great, but how you got them was even more clever. I mean holding down while on a white block to fall into the shadows is just crazy.

In addition world 8 is still one of the hardest worlds to date. While I was playing the New Super Mario Bros, I couldn't help thinking how easy it is. World 8 on NSMB and SMB3 has no comparison.

All this talk may make just have to pick up the game again. :)

jinqui242
August 25th, 2006, 01:45
Super Mario Bros. 3, of course! It's been a template for every 2D Mario afterwards (the overworld and weird power-ups especially). I prefer the 16-bit version on Super Mario All-Stars. The graphics are not as rough-looking as the NES version.

mastersho
August 25th, 2006, 01:50
I would have to say Super Mario Bros 3 (For GBA)

Briggzy11
August 25th, 2006, 01:51
Mario 64, its just perfect :)

brainpan
August 25th, 2006, 01:57
I am curious if there is any correlation between what SMB game gets voted for and the age of the voter. I am not implying the certain voters may be more or less juvenile. I am just curious. Oh yeah!...no on has mentioned Mario's Time Machine as being a favorite...I dont think I want to be the first either.

BTW my vote was for SMB3 and I am 23

Pumped'Up
August 25th, 2006, 02:03
1. Super Mario 2 (NES)
2. Super Mario World (SNES)

Apoklepz
August 25th, 2006, 02:04
There's a rare gem that I actually own for GameBoy color and that would be Super Mario Bros.Deluxe or DX. It has the old school original (although slightly modified- you can go back-screen a bit and look up or down) along with a very awesome challenge mode that'll keep you busy forever...and to top things off, it has a two player level race-to-the-flag mode, which you can also try beating Boo on your own...and a secret game, which is actually Mario Bros. 2 in Japan..."The Lost Levels" in the U.S.

RIN play's it flawlessly, too. But yeah, My favorites are Super Mario World 2:Yoshi's Island & any Mario Kart game.

fire master
August 25th, 2006, 02:05
1.Super Mario All Stars because it had four Mario games at once.
2.Super Mario Kart because it had cool powerups
3.Super Mario World because of being able to go on Yoshi
4.Super Mario 64 because of all the moves you can do like swing Boswer.

Worst Game DDR Mario Mix.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/curly.johnson/images/fire55.gif
Feel The Burn

gieve
August 25th, 2006, 02:12
Does Yoshi's island count, if so i'd say its easily the best, if not one of the best games EVER made!!!

Shilo
August 25th, 2006, 02:15
I don't think I can just pick one :p

1. Paper Mario
2. Super Mario RPG
3. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
4. Super Mario Bros. (NES)
5. Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World (SNES)

YourStillWithMe
August 25th, 2006, 02:20
Super Mario Brothers DID NOT start it all guys. . .research it Mario Brothers started it on Atari 2600.

My favorite is either Super Mario Bros, Mario 3 or Mario Kart on the 64

If any of you say a mario from GC-your a moron! ;-)

Have i heard any mario RPG's yet? Come on that was kickass too. Mario World was straight, that probably was around your era, so thats cool. I was in the NES era. Super Mario 2-That wasnt even supposed to be a Mario! It was originally supposed to be an entirely different game. (Thats why the gameplay is so weird.)

Apoklepz
August 25th, 2006, 02:22
C'mon man:mad: ....I dug Mario Sunshine a whole lot...specially those maze like floating levels. Momma didn't raise no moron!:p

jrsmaster411
August 25th, 2006, 02:31
Super Mario World

fire master
August 25th, 2006, 02:34
C'mon man:mad: ....I dug Mario Sunshine a whole lot...specially those maze like floating levels. Momma didn't raise no moron!:p
Yeah that was a good one I guess I forgot to mention it.:o

To your still with me your a moron

hodey
August 25th, 2006, 02:43
Donkey Kong

crackkills
August 25th, 2006, 02:43
Apparently fire master is the moron, he doesn't even know how to make a sentence understandable.(Its ok, he probably wont even know what this means)
-I got your back Apoklepz, Narnia rules- LOL

SmashinGit
August 25th, 2006, 02:46
This is a toughy. The first Mario on the nes was awsome. Couldn't stand Mario 2. Super Mario World on the snes had me hooked for months. Mario Kart I still play, its why my snes is still under my tv next to my 360. For some reason I've never been able to get into Mario 64 and Mario sunshine. They maybe excellent games, just not my cup of tea. Super Mario Bros on the ds is a very good game and goes someway to recapturing the magic. Overall though my vote has to go to Super Mario Brothers 3 on the nes. I played this game constantly. Finding out every secret I could, every hidden block, I was hooked for years, litterally.

crackkills
August 25th, 2006, 02:47
Also are we including mgames with mario appearances or just ones where he was one of the main characters. If we are I'll have to say super smash bros. melee on the GAMECUBE but if not I think its a tie between super mario all stars+super mario world (it is literally one game, they came all together didn't they, or just super mario world), paper mario,and super mario 64 ds

jimmi
August 25th, 2006, 02:52
duz yoshis island count ? that or super mario world on snes

kayhanbakid
August 25th, 2006, 02:56
The first game I played on the first system I ever had. I've beaten it at least 100 times (probably more).

I think it is the best game because of the incredible control you have over the characters. You just feel like you are mario or luigi and you can get out of any bad situation. The flying is also amazing in the game. I just don't feel the same control in the older nes games and in Yoshi's Island. You kind of feel like you're tied down by the controller.

But in SMW I just feel like I'm melted into the controller and you have full control. It's a little harder on PSP because of the different controller but I still crank a few games out once in a while while standing in line somewhere.

I just can't say enough good things about Super Mario World. My favorite racing game is Mario Kart 64. And I haven't gotten too into the 3D ones but they're OK. (18yo)

Video_freak
August 25th, 2006, 03:00
Super Mario Bros. for NES! It started it all! :D

Wally
August 25th, 2006, 03:05
Its a tie between
Mario 64 and Super Mario 3 for Nes
for me
Super mario 2 was good but never could finish it

repuken2
August 25th, 2006, 03:05
Super Mario World for Snes. I played it exclusively for 3 years back then when i bought it.

uudem
August 25th, 2006, 03:08
SMB3 on NES still playin today
showed it to my lil bro and he can t stop playin it :)

dark_man_x_008
August 25th, 2006, 03:11
smb3 on NES was by far THE game to have back in the day. played it non stop for like 3 days beat it like 14 times in a row lol still play it today with my family..awesome game

YourStillWithMe
August 25th, 2006, 03:15
Atari 2600-Mario Brothers started it all! Sorry, just had to resay that. . .

wolfpack
August 25th, 2006, 03:21
mario 64 all the way baby!

vtd@.//
August 25th, 2006, 03:39
ok... how about super mario deluxe for game boy color and super mario rpg snes!

ninja9393
August 25th, 2006, 03:50
super mario bros 3
(i lika a lot of stuff like naruto and metroid but i also lika da mario)

i should make a thread about what i lika:p

WhiteX
August 25th, 2006, 03:59
Super Mario 3 (Nes).

r2works
August 25th, 2006, 04:05
Super Mario 3 hands down. The jump in game play and in-game features from SMB2 was drastic. Super Mario World added yushi and changed around some of it's previous features in SMB3.

hodey
August 25th, 2006, 04:10
"Super Mario Brothers DID NOT start it all guys. . .research it Mario Brothers started it on Atari 2600."
Actually, Mario started with Donkey Kong in the coin-op arcade machine. His original name was Jumpman translated from Japaneese. When he came to America, they called him Mario. I am not sure, but I think he was a carpenter at first, before he went to the sewer in Mario Bros.

eazy-e
August 25th, 2006, 04:18
mario kart

RogerDaltree
August 25th, 2006, 04:28
Best Mario game? That's tough but here's my list in order (am I the only one that loved the Mario RPG games?):
Paper Mario - N64
Paper Mario & the Thousand Year Door - Gamecube
Mario RPG - SNES
Mario World - SNES
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time - NDS
Mario 3 - NES
Mario 1 - NES
Mario Land - GB
Mario Land 2 - GB
Mario Tennis - N64
New Super Mario Bros - NDS

RogerDaltree
August 25th, 2006, 04:30
by the way hodey, Mario was NEVER on the 2600.
Mario Bros was originally an arcade machine, I played it.

Shilo
August 25th, 2006, 04:36
Best Mario game? That's tough but here's my list in order (am I the only one that loved the Mario RPG games?):

Your not :D Paper Mario is my favorite game of all time :cool:

felonyr301
August 25th, 2006, 04:38
i have to say super mario world for the snes because it was the first video game i owned and i still play it till today but mario kart 64 and mario bros 3 for the nes is a tied for second then comes mario 64.

ikarimaru
August 25th, 2006, 04:51
MARIO IS MISSING! ;)

I keeeeeeeeeed! I'm going with Super Mario 64, mainly because it was the first game that I ever really ever remember uttering, "HOLY CRAP, THAT'S AWESOME!" to. Well, that and when I first booted up Final Fantasy VII, but that's another story... Second place would definitely be SMW...

pibs
August 25th, 2006, 04:55
Super Mario all stars would be the best in my opinion because it has super mario 3 that allows u to pick items and such.

sroon
August 25th, 2006, 05:12
Super Mario rpg!
All the way guys and then mario broz 3!
( O ) ( O );)

JD/
August 25th, 2006, 05:26
For some reason i like paper mario on the GC but a close second would be mario kart on snes

psp411
August 25th, 2006, 05:30
SUPER MARIO WORLD!!! CAT BEAT THAT... i liked da old skool mario and super mario 3 but world was the best:D

pkmusicmaker
August 25th, 2006, 05:35
Who cares? Mario games are fun, play them, the end. Which one's the best? It doesn't matter.

Predator
August 25th, 2006, 05:38
Super Mario Bros. 3

PSPegasus
August 25th, 2006, 05:45
I'd say either Mario 64 on N64 or DS, or New Mario Bros. on DS (which I know wasn't one of the options but I think it's still worth mentioning).

stotheamuel
August 25th, 2006, 05:50
donkey kong arcade

cyrien
August 25th, 2006, 06:11
A tough question. I remember going over to my friends house and playing Mario on the NES the first time(the best selling game ever with over 40 million copies sold, bundled with the NES as well though)... the disapointment of Mario 2.
Beating but not being terribly impressed with the first few mario games on the Gameboy (man that first gameboy could take some serious abuse).
The sense of wonder and awe that was Super Mario 3... anyone remember those comercials(the best selling game ever if you exclude bundle packages with over 18 million sales)? Finding everything in the game for the first time...
Then of course saving up and buying a SNES for myself. Super Mario World of course on it and playing that game to death, but there was a slight disapointment as it just wasn't quite as rich as SMB3. Once again unlocking everything in that game. Darn but those super secret levels just past the star world were hard...

Mario Kart was awesome... four player battle mode with a bunch of friends... many an evening was spent that way(and perhaps a few school days as well... but you know the bus never showed up to pick us up so it wasn't our fault...) The intense frustration of the cheating Kart AI on 150cc, darn infinite feathers(whatever happened to those... I loved the feather) and one infinite item of their choice, not to mention they always finish in the same order every race depending on the character you choose, I used to make it a point just to mess up somebody right at the end to get variation! Then finally getting cold on everything despite it all.

Mario 64 was good but just not something I got too excited about... maybe because I was getting older? I dunno. I still unlocked everything.

Smash Bros and Mario Kart 64 were both awesome... played those in college with bunches of friends. Most ppl had PS1 but I tell you what my N64 got the most use for social play, since I can't speak for private play. And the two favs were Mario Kart 64 and Smash Bros.

My nephew loves Mario Sunshine, but I got the same feeling with it I got with Mario64... good but not for me. Still unlocked everything. My nephew mostly plays on my savegames just having a good time.

Smash Bros for the GC was awesome as well. Whenever my younger cousins or nephew or niece come over always have a blast with that or Mario Party 4(no one mentions those?)

Never played the new DS Mario... yet.

The Mario RPG/Paper Mario... good games but not rating best ever Mario game.

All things considered in this way too long post... Mario 3 for NES has to be the best. It had challenge and difficuly and more options and paths and challenges than any other Mario game I can remember playing. Close second... Super Mario World on the SNES then Mario Kart 64, just because it was just as awesome as the first and challenging without the super cheap high level AI.

fire master
August 25th, 2006, 06:17
Apparently fire master is the moron, he doesn't even know how to make a sentence understandable.(Its ok, he probably wont even know what this means)
-I got your back Apoklepz, Narnia rules- LOL

Your a moron because I was talking about the dcemu member Your Still With ME. SO STOP BEING A MORON!!!

ExcruciationX
August 25th, 2006, 07:01
Super Mario 64.

mariowar
August 25th, 2006, 07:05
Mario War

M!ckeY
August 25th, 2006, 07:09
mario world for snes :)

mariowar
August 25th, 2006, 07:14
:cool: MARIO WAR IS GOOD DOWNLOAD IT AT CNET DOWNLOAD.COM :D

Psyberjock
August 25th, 2006, 07:21
Super Mario Wars. I love competitive game play. Otherwise, I would say the original Mario Brothers with the POW block.

Shiaoran
August 25th, 2006, 07:29
Super Mario World and Super Mario 64 DS. There's no way to compare a 2D to a 3D game.
I think Super Mario Galaxy will be a deception.

ACID
August 25th, 2006, 07:37
mario Rpg

sroon
August 25th, 2006, 07:39
mario Rpg
GOOD BOY!:rolleyes:

( O ) ( O );)

ACID
August 25th, 2006, 08:25
:cool: MARIO WAR IS GOOD DOWNLOAD IT AT CNET DOWNLOAD.COM :D
I dont think this is aloud.;)

drew4237
August 25th, 2006, 08:35
I dont think this is aloud.;)
im not sure but i dont think it is either. but if it isnt an official game i dont think it is a problem. i think he should delete his post just incase
Edit- i just looked at it and it is a hombrew game so it isnt against the rules

ACID
August 25th, 2006, 08:39
I thought this was an actuall game. About deleting to late i already quoted him.

ComixSans
August 25th, 2006, 09:07
Its Super Mario World 2 - Yoshi's Island obviously.
It counts as a Mario Game and its the best.
Why doesn't everone else see that??

muffinman
August 25th, 2006, 09:27
yoshis island was cool :p

however im going to have to go with smb3 on nes i loved that game.

samthegreat68
August 25th, 2006, 09:35
i dont like new super mario bros for DS. i only played the demo at Target and it just felt like the first game but with better graphics, didnt like it.

im going with SMB3 or SMW mario kart for 64 and SNES rock aswell!

FireStag
August 25th, 2006, 09:39
SMW for SNES

P.S. Did anyone else realize Mario was the Ref on Punch Out!?

Dave the Rave
August 25th, 2006, 09:49
It's Mario Kart DS for me, I'm still playing it regularly since buying it last November.

Mazza
August 25th, 2006, 10:17
Mario Kart on the Snes wins outright. When I had it I played it everyday

zeon x
August 25th, 2006, 10:30
Hard question but i will go with SMW on snes, but its close with Mario Kart on Snes.
I do love the original Mario on the NES but it feel it lost some of it apeal by Nintendo "updating" it on the Snes. Just like Star Wars.

ACID
August 25th, 2006, 10:30
SMW for SNES

P.S. Did anyone else realize Mario was the Ref on Punch Out!?
Mario has done a lot of kameos.:eek:

ComixSans
August 25th, 2006, 10:37
i never got into smb3
i've only play though part of it. maybe it time i gave it another chance

ACID
August 25th, 2006, 10:39
i never got into smb3
i've only play though part of it. maybe it time i gave it another chance
And you wont regret it. Its an awsome game.:D

dhan
August 25th, 2006, 11:51
SMW or Mario Kart. I can complete SMW in under an hour so it's still being played now and then. But i have to say that Mario Kart for the GC kicks ass!

hemavan
August 25th, 2006, 12:19
New Super Mario on DS

aTomIC
August 25th, 2006, 15:11
1. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
2. Super Mario World (SNES)
3. Super Mario Kart (SNES)
4. Mario Kart 64 (N64)
5. Donkey Kong (Arcade)
6. Mario Bros. (Arcade)

infernomax
August 25th, 2006, 15:21
Super Mario 64...

DuRoLuRo
August 25th, 2006, 15:55
I would say Super Mario for NES.
I got a modified SNES with several inbuild NES Classics like Super Mario. on my 7 years birthday, It was the first console game i played, i played it like 24/7.
Words canīt describe the feeling. Thatīs why iīm gonna get a Wii, after 12 years with pure PlayStation!

Method Man
August 25th, 2006, 16:01
my favorite is clearly SMW1 on snes

Basil Zero
August 25th, 2006, 16:03
Its either Super Mario World (SNES) or Super Mario 64 (N64)

My choice.....

SUPER MARIO WORLD (SNES)
my most favorite and VERY first Game lol

asdfjklqwer
August 25th, 2006, 16:17
I'd definately have to say Super Mario Bros. 3 for NES. Sweet game.

Basil Zero
August 25th, 2006, 17:39
ya, thats was a sweet game also, but comes third in my view lol

Apoklepz
August 25th, 2006, 17:52
duz yoshis island count ? that or super mario world on snes

I would say it does, after all the original cart on the SNES is completely titled "Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island"
...I already mentioned it as my favorite a couple of pages back.

BTW, please stop calling each other MORONS over a couple of Mario games...it makes me feel like I've been taken all the way back in time to third grade;)

smurphy1357
August 25th, 2006, 18:32
super mario 64

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
August 25th, 2006, 18:36
super mario bros NES, because thats where all the mario craze started from!!!!!!

jaypay
August 25th, 2006, 18:59
Super Mario World ;)

Psphreak
August 25th, 2006, 19:05
Super Mario Bros 2 for the nes

bacteria
August 25th, 2006, 20:06
Super Mario 64.

psp411
August 25th, 2006, 20:11
ITS ALL ABOUT SUPER MARIO WORLD.... even though the first game i eva got for snes was donkey kong( all by accident... confusion) smw was and is and will always be "THE BEST"(good memories of it... i think ill go play mario on my old snes on the tv this time... psp screen is too small to help me member how it felt playing smw....ahhhh:) haha i still have one:D)

hodey
August 25th, 2006, 21:49

I know that. Read the resat of my original reply, the first line was quoting someone else eariler, I just didn't use the blue box thingy.

andrew24
August 25th, 2006, 22:05
super mario world. because all this 3-d crap isent old school like the origional
________
smoking kills (http://smokekills.net/)

zoogderrick2
August 26th, 2006, 04:03
my favorite mario games in order:

Super Mario RPG (SNES)
Super Mario World (SNES)
Super Mario Land 2 (GB)
Super Mario Bros 2 (NES)
Super Smash Bros (N64)
Dr Mario (NES)
Donkey Kong (Arcade)
Super Mario Bros 3 (NES)
Super Mario Bros 1 (NES)
Mario 64 (N64)

ClintiePoo
August 26th, 2006, 07:21
Super Mario Brothers 3 for NES, hands down.

Shiesty
August 27th, 2006, 04:07
I'd definately have to say Super Mario Bros. 3 for NES. Sweet game.

sko, TheLogicalGamer
August 28th, 2006, 04:30
Earthbound!, duh :rolleyes:

stotheamuel
August 28th, 2006, 06:24

WRONG!

it was on atari:p

mnuhaily22
August 30th, 2006, 14:38
SNES no Question