PDA

View Full Version : What exactly does Linux, and DSLinux do?

chemical
August 25th, 2006, 19:29
Hey there,

This is probably a very dumb question, i know Linux is some sort of programming thing, but i've never really known what exactly it does, could anyone enlighten me?

And what is possible with DSlinux, everyones talking about it so i figure it must be good.

Thanks guys.

Junixx
August 25th, 2006, 21:41
Linux is a type of operating system, theres maybe different distrobutions though such as Knoppix, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Morphix, Mepis, yadyada list goes on, personally i dont use it because its incompatible with most of my games. it IS a free OS though, so its great to use if say you cant get a hold of a Windows operating system or if you just would rather use linux, i have a few distro's laying around my house because if something messes up i can usually boot linux from a CD (Live-CD) and fix it

Well, DS Linux i dont really know much about, its a fully text-operated version of linux is all i know

chemical
August 25th, 2006, 22:13
Ah I see, thanks, so its just kind of like Microsoft XP/98/95/etc?

If thats the case, and DS Linux is text only, I wonder what it do ???

brennxn
August 26th, 2006, 01:52
It does everything a computer does. Text only. Most applications work perfectly fine without a GUI, and I personally am quite annoyed with noobs running around saying, "this application suxorz cuz its only text and i dont know how to log in..." yadayada. (Not saying you're like that, though)

BlueStar
August 26th, 2006, 02:19
yup. you see someone with a kirby avatar and u kno they're not a noob.

NEVER diss the kirby!!!

crackkills
August 26th, 2006, 04:13
Yeah kirby rules!!!!

andysjones
August 26th, 2006, 13:16
Kirby looks like Jiggaly Poof

BlueStar
August 26th, 2006, 14:04
oh crud i got another thread off topic... *slaps self* and kirby DOES NOT LOOK LIKE JIGGLYPUFF!!!

*regains breath*

anyway, i personally would like to wait for a graphical os for the ds, but as long as the homebrew community is making progress...

NoQuarter
August 26th, 2006, 14:39
A graphical OS requires more ram which can slow performance.Quite a bit of the time text based input is more efficiant than point and click,it just requires a steeper learning curve:D

chemical
August 26th, 2006, 16:30
Indeedy, Kirby's are the greatest creature to ever live =D, and Jigglypuff is far inferior.

Anyways back on topic, sounds cool, the fact someone made it for little DS is pretty amazing, but I too need some eye candy in it to get me really really interested, i'll still give it a go and see what I can do with it.

If a graphiced OS would mean more RAM, the DS browser RAM could be hackable?, I know I'm like the 300th person to mention that, but still, hopefully it is hackable.

Junixx
August 26th, 2006, 16:38
Well i think people that work on DSLinux are also working on hacking the Supercard's and M3's 32MB of RAM, so it may be possible for a graphical OS in the future...

dongle
August 26th, 2006, 18:24
gentoo linux user here.

the 32mb ram is handy but afaik it's slow... then again it would be running a very low res, stripped down x11, so... we'll see how usable the gui turns out. there's certainly enough processing power, and the ram /quantity/ is kinda-sorta sufficient (no mozilla, but maybe some simpler x-apps and text editors?)

gamerremag
August 27th, 2006, 02:38
[QUOTE]

If a graphiced OS would mean more RAM, the DS browser RAM could be hackable?, I know I'm like the 300th person to mention that, but still, hopefully it is hackable.

you cant hack what isnt there. :p