PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo DS MMORPG or other massivly multiplayer possible?

chemical
August 25th, 2006, 19:34
Hey,

I love MMO games, and by that i dont just mean a MMORPG, but any game where theres dozens of people all online in one game, and was wondering if anyone sees this in the future of DS homebrew?, or much more likely, an official DS game?

I'd love one and I think a portable with the addictiveness of World of Warcraft would really make DS must-have for alot of people, but i know its asking alot from a DS

dkjr83
August 25th, 2006, 20:47
I'd love to see something like this as well. Personally, I think a mmo Shining Soul for the DS would be a nice fit. Something along those lines would work well.

Also, from what I've seen and heard, Contact offers an interesting formula for multiplayer, and some of those principles may be useful in the future of handheld MMOs.

It's only a matter of time before we see one though, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I remember seeing a release announcement for some form of one on the PSP. Who knows if that will pan out, but time will tell.

Junixx
August 25th, 2006, 21:34
I heard a rumor a while back that MapleStory was going to be made for DS (a side-scrolling MMORPG)

www.mapleglobal.com (Unfortunatly, you MUST use Internet Explorer, but dont worry its a clean site)

chemical
August 25th, 2006, 22:16
I took a quick look at that game, it looks like it would fit in well with DS, but I kind of have mixed feelings about a side scrolling MMORPG, still i want all the MMO's they can through at us =D, idealy i'd want a game like animal crossing/final fantasy (i mean that in the way it looks and the way it plays) to be MMORPG, similar to WoW, from there it could branch out to sports, fighting, etc. and make some awesome stuff, but I think a MMORPG is the way to go for the first DS MMO.

clockworkengine
August 26th, 2006, 00:13
Graal DS, baby. That's all there is to it.

The Hombrew Hunter
August 26th, 2006, 00:24
You frigging nuts? Graal sucks! Oh the burn.

I'd rather have Runescape DS. But the DS isn't good with Java, I believe.

Maple Story would suck if it linked up to the pc version.

Ragnarok Online homebrew client with private server support would be great, considering how it's played. Hold mouse over spot to move, and hold it to move completely. Genious!

BlueStar
August 26th, 2006, 02:26
...besides the fact that runescape sucks, it may be the only thing we could get on the ds. i mean, the only reason people play it as opposed to other games is cuz its free and works well for people on slow compys. it might be the only game the ds has the power to run and support.

seriously. close your eyes (yet continue to read this through your eyelids, or read it first, then do it...) anyway, close your eyes and imagine what's going on inside the compy when you're running runescape. it runs in the browser, has horrible graphics, so how much power can it use?
now imagine what's going on when it's running, like, WoW or Maplestory. With WoW, some of you would imagine your computers exploding right in front of your face. and believe me, DSes are MUCH more explosion-prone than compys.

now, the psp might be different, since it seems to have the power of a ps2. or at least psone. (although i dont have a psp, so that would suck if one came out for it. i would shoot it.)

So think about that for a minute. (not trying to be mean to anyone)

BlueStar

Junixx
August 26th, 2006, 02:45
Dude.....running it in the browser takes more power, rs doesnt run perfectly on my computer yet MapleStory and WoW do just fine

The Hombrew Hunter
August 26th, 2006, 02:54
It's Java, and it's fun depending on how you play.

Going into members, the duel arena...Wearing nothing and staking with a n00b. Have them stake, wear all your strongest armor, pwn them. Unequip it all, and repeat.

It must be the ads, nonmems has many ads.

I would support a client, I'd love to play it. I feel like lying down and pwning n00bs in the process...

Blacksand
August 26th, 2006, 06:18
What you guys don't think World of Warcraft would port good? :p

battleroyalex
August 26th, 2006, 06:52
What you guys don't think World of Warcraft would port good? :p

...joking?

LloydKansas
August 26th, 2006, 09:19
Personally, I would love to see some form of handheld Ragnarok Online as well, I don't care if its on the DS or the PSP or whatever. With the DS it could work great because of the point and click system of the PC version, but the resolution on the PSP would be incredibly beautiful as well. Even something remotely close to RO would make me happy. If they can't do it with the 3D backgrounds, then just draw some friggin backgrounds and do it old school style with the JPEG's :D Actually I'm not sure what format they use for the images, but you get the picture... Pun not intended >.>

BlueStar
August 26th, 2006, 14:02
It's Java, and it's fun depending on how you play.

Going into members, the duel arena...Wearing nothing and staking with a n00b. Have them stake, wear all your strongest armor, pwn them. Unequip it all, and repeat.

It must be the ads, nonmems has many ads.

I would support a client, I'd love to play it. I feel like lying down and pwning n00bs in the process...
um... i was a member at one point, and i still hated it.

The Hombrew Hunter
August 26th, 2006, 15:57
Eh, the point of members is bragging and making other people feel like losers.

An RO client for private servers would be great people! Private Servers are legal.

World of Warcraft would be a crap port, what with the monthly cost.

Junixx
August 26th, 2006, 16:35
Hm, Maplestory still seems the most possible but what about Guildwars? I havent played it so i dont know how good it is...

Blacksand
August 26th, 2006, 17:00
...joking?

Of course I'm joking, and as far as guildwars its fun for the first few weeks then it loses intrest if you can't devote every minute in order to take advantage of all the new addons.

chemical
August 26th, 2006, 18:51
Ewww not Runescape, that thing makes me feel ill, i'd rather have Habbo DS =-X!

But yeah, I never thought a direct WoW port is possible, but making a game like that officially with one of the game companys definatly is, and maybe a homebrew with the same idea of how it plays, but totally different graphics could work?, not sure, I dont homebrew =( (yet atleast)

I havent heard of the others mentioned so far, except guildwars which would also be awesome on DS, either way i think DS is a great system for this because of its touch screen for point and click, the fact you could use that for the battle menus like with WoW and stuff, and that it could easily become the "next big thing" in schools, like digimon and tamagotchi where, albeit a tad more expensive.

Crimson_Lotus
August 26th, 2006, 19:47
Runescape... why? That game is so cheap and unpolished. At least the free MMO's from Korea are something nice to look at... Habbo DS actually sounds "do-able" from a technical standpoint and wouldn't require much power to play. The vast majority of online players normally quarter a more "gameplay" oriented game though. Habbo is basically a chatroom with graphics.

chemical
August 26th, 2006, 20:42
Yeah, me saying i'd rather have habbo was to show how little i wanted runescape, both a pretty crappy.

The Hombrew Hunter
August 26th, 2006, 20:48
Runescape can be a great game, it all depends on how you look at it.

Pfft, graphics whores...It's like saying Super Mario Bros was a 0/10 because of 8 bit graphics!

ACID
August 26th, 2006, 20:51
Runescape i think im going to barf. Homebrew help.

chemical
August 26th, 2006, 21:14
Runescape could be released on the PS3 with next gen graphics, it'd still suck :/

Junixx
August 26th, 2006, 21:57
I don't even consider runescape a real RPG its more a Adventure/Somewhat action/ Sims game now, its a weird leveling system, where its more skills than overall level, you have so raise skills to get levels instead of rasing levels to get skills, but I used to play it alot and at one point i thought it was a great game, but I've moved on now

Crimson_Lotus
August 27th, 2006, 02:11

Pfft, graphics whores...It's like saying Super Mario Bros was a 0/10 because of 8 bit graphics!

I said "At least" they were something to look at...
runescape's gameplay and most korean MMO's gameplay are normally repetitive and horrible. Most people would go to the one that appealed in at least one section... whether it be graphics, gameplay, or even music and sounds... Runescape unfourtunately appeals to closely none. If they got some talented 3d artists and programmed the game in a more open environment I think it would already be less of an eyesore than those drab dull colors and psuedo-3d sprites they use. If they added a more open combat system and movement system it could be a really good game.

gamerremag
August 27th, 2006, 02:50
who says runescape cant be redone? (if you are talking about making an official ds game)

besides, the game wouldnt look that bad on a... uh..256 × 192 resolution screen that is 3-inch inches big. you know how when you play TH:UG 2 remix on psp it looks like ps2 graphics, but when you put it on the big scren tv you have in your room, it looks the same if not worse than ps1. same ting

The Hombrew Hunter
August 27th, 2006, 04:01
He's got a minor point.

RS is coded in Java. Not very good 3d with Java, d00ds.

I agree, they COULD do more death animations and get rid of the one. Ugh it's stupid looking.

Like if you're killed with a stab attack, you clutch your body and fall flat on your face.

Slash, you turn and fall sideways.

Crush, you fly backwards a space.

Crimson_Lotus
August 27th, 2006, 04:10
who says runescape cant be redone? (if you are talking about making an official ds game)

besides, the game wouldnt look that bad on a... uh..256 × 192 resolution screen that is 3-inch inches big. you know how when you play TH:UG 2 remix on psp it looks like ps2 graphics, but when you put it on the big scren tv you have in your room, it looks the same if not worse than ps1. same ting

agreed, why couldn't they recreate it... its not like they don't have money..

Junixx
August 27th, 2006, 05:40
If Jagex would re-make runescape for the DS with at least a little bit better textures and smoother less-polygonal figures, i would probably get it

CampaKaze
August 27th, 2006, 20:31
Um.. Runescape? If you had enough money to get Homebrew on your DS i think you mite just as well get Diablo 2 or sumthing instead if u are playing Runescape. or waste your free time on something else... Ick..

DSdemon
August 28th, 2006, 00:08
lol....

well....all being said...i think a DS MMO would be good....but would it be possible?

i wouldnt mind runescape and all.....but if i had my way....Ragnarok would be the way to go.....as of the style to me fits the ds perfectly :D

MithrilFox
September 4th, 2007, 12:44
Beggars can hardly be choosers. At this rate, any homebrew MMORPG would be an incredible feat. The homebrewer would not only have to know how to do all the programming, game design, graphics, testing, etc, but would need to know a lot about networking, running a server, etc. Not only all that, but also he (they) would have to run that server 24/7.

It's unlikely, but still possible.

fraseyboy
September 27th, 2007, 06:48
World of Warcraft would be a crap port, what with the monthly cost.

World of Warcraft has private servers too you know... I'm playing one right now. Same EXP and Drop rates as blizzard, completely free.

True. I played Runescape alot about 3 years ago. It's probably the MMO I've stuck to for the longest.

I think the reason why people don't like it is because of the not-so-nice graphics and all of the 8 year olds who play it :D

Apart from that, it's got alot to do and almost seems like a dumbed-down WoW.

metal5090
March 29th, 2009, 21:13
You frigging nuts? Graal sucks! Oh the burn.

I'd rather have Runescape DS. But the DS isn't good with Java, I believe.

Maple Story would suck if it linked up to the pc version.

Ragnarok Online homebrew client with private server support would be great, considering how it's played. Hold mouse over spot to move, and hold it to move completely. Genious!

You realize that if it were an official DS game, it wouldn't be Java? Unless you were using the DS browser, you'd be fine, I'm pretty sure.

Maily123
January 24th, 2010, 23:28
I am developing a MMORPG for the DS/DSi and im calling it Sword Quest! unfortunitly, it wont be finished until a long time due to that im doing it alone! I have a website up about it at: maily123.webs.com

darkriku999
February 5th, 2010, 15:14
Rap de Bladis miau miau no como verdura miau miau no seas fito***o miau miau