PDA

View Full Version : Federal Judge Strikes Down Ban on Violent Games

wraggster
August 26th, 2006, 11:02
A federal judge in Louisiana has issued a preliminary injunction blocking a statewide ban on violent video games. The judge's holding that 'depictions of violence are entitled to full constitutional protection' flies in the face of Louisiana's assertion that video games interactive nature make them inherently more likely to incite people to violence, and therefore requires reduced First Amendment protection. In rejecting the state's argument, the judge compared video games to literature. 'It is the interactive aspect of literature that makes it successful — 'draw[ing] the reader into the story, mak[ing] him identify with the characters, invit[ing] him to judge them and quarrel with them, to experience their joys and sufferings as the reader's own.

Basil Zero
August 26th, 2006, 15:12
as he should

kcajblue
August 26th, 2006, 18:57
even if they make a law to ban violent video games, no one is going to follow a stupid law like that.:)

Video_freak
August 26th, 2006, 18:59
Yeah, if they bring any crap laws like that to California, I'm just importing. :cool:

Basil Zero
August 26th, 2006, 19:07
wouldnt it be easy if you make a parent or someone else thats older, let them buy it, the law is pretty much pointless, and if children cant understand the difference between reality and fantasy, obviously means that their parents are as stupid as they are(for not teaching them) lol

kcajblue
August 26th, 2006, 19:12
a lot of stores dont even care to check for ID. so you wouldnt even need to make a parent or someone else thats older buy it for you.:rolleyes:

F9zDark
August 26th, 2006, 23:54
Good I am glad that judge upheld the Constitution. If someone can burn the US flag as a statement under free speech then certainly I can kill a handful of NPCs with a gatling gun under free speech.

Junixx
August 27th, 2006, 01:19
I don't see why people make such a big fuss over violence in video games, i mean, you see it ALL THE TIME on TV's and movies, books also

SnoopKatt
August 27th, 2006, 12:48
I didn't know there was a ban over there.

muffinman
August 27th, 2006, 14:09
snoopkatt, jack thompson put the ban idea forward.
Anyways violent video games are just something politicians and the media can point to ad state its the spawn of evil.