PDA

View Full Version : dos emulator?

kando
August 28th, 2006, 02:49
isnt there a way someone could emulate dos? i mean doing so would allow you to run all the old dos games....and of course it would use one of those text enterer things for keystroke simulations....i for one would LOVE to play moraff's world on the psp =p

any thoughts?

Wally
August 28th, 2006, 02:58
Good idea but people are having trouble with dosbox, not working like it should..

pkmaximum
August 28th, 2006, 05:49
I wouldn't understand though why DOX Box wouldn't be a possible emulation for the PSP. Hopefully someone will come around and port it correctly that way many users can correctly enjoy it.

Wally
August 28th, 2006, 06:30
Well giving the limitations of the PSP, with no keyboard etc.

Some games only require
Space bar - Triangle
Control - X
Alt - O
Enter - Square
Shift L - L
Shift R - R
and maybe a mouse (Nub)

I think dosbox's source is coded for X86 however there is an OSX port out there for PPC. I dont see why it couldnt be ported from that.

I myself would love to play commander keen 4, the lion king, aladdin, Theme Park, Theme hospital, Dungeon Keeper right from my PSP

ACID
August 28th, 2006, 07:35
Well wally you mention the buttons it uses and the mouse so the psp has 6 buttons , control pad and analog. So it has more then plenty to use to play the games. Just like amiga , C64 , atari st and so on.

RetroGoth
August 28th, 2006, 19:07
man a dosbox emulator for the psp would be a dream come true. I just can't get enough commander keen

steve-b
August 28th, 2006, 19:11
I have dreams of playing tie fighter on my psp

Wally
August 29th, 2006, 02:29
Im gunna try something.

It might work.

bugggeroff
August 29th, 2006, 13:58
Come on guys, the Nintendo DS can do it, what's stopping the all powerful PSP? =P

Naah, I can actually appreciate the difficulties here, porting is a hard buisness.

Wally
August 30th, 2006, 03:44
Anyone ever thought of using Bochs with the freedos image?

If someone could get the source for bochs and reprogram the keys then it would work nicely!

archimed
August 30th, 2006, 17:02
Has anyone considered the fact that many (if not most) games running on a 2ghz cpu with DosBox just barely manage to get the proper framerate? The PSP just doesn't have the hardware to support anything even close to that.

And re: RetroGoth - there is a port of Commander Keen (episodes 1+2 I think?) to the PSP already.