PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING NEWS - Hello Brave New World (2.0-2.8 tiff exploit)All PSP Firmwares Cracked

Pages : [1] 2

Kramer
August 28th, 2006, 04:44
Straight from www.noobz.eu (http://www.noobz.eu)

Finally, it's here! As of today, the world of homebrew is no longer restricted to owners of Grand Theft Auto.

Following the publication of a new proof of concept TIFF vulnerability by NOPx86, a team of PSP developers has been working hard to turn it into an opening for homebrew on the PSP. We're pleased to announce that the wait is over, with the release of a Hello World demo that runs on all PSP firmwares that are capable of viewing TIFF images!

You can see a photo of it in action

http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/hw_all.jpg

To install, just unpack the ZIP file to your PSP's PHOTO folder, and then attempt to view hello_world.tif. Hello World will launch automatically. You may find that occasionally the full screen doesn't show - this is a known problem, just restart your PSP by holding the power button until it turns off, then open the image again. To quit, hold the power button until the PSP turns off.

So what happens next? This shows that we can run code via this exploit. It won't be too hard to develop an eLoader that can use this exploit on v2.0 - v2.6. v2.7+ will be harder, due to extra security, but will happen a little later. Kernel mode is unavailable on v2.8, but it is likely that a downgrader is possible on all other firmwares. But then, with the possibility of kernel homebrew running without the need for a game UMD, why would you need to downgrade?

Full credit is given in the Hello World, but repeated here: Thanks to NOPx86 for the initial proof of concept on the x86 processor, and psp250, Skylark, Joek2100, CSwindle, JimP and Fanjita for the PSP work. Thanks also to Ditlew, HarleyG and our families for general support during this work.
Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

NoQuarter
August 28th, 2006, 04:48
Thanx for the news kramer!!!
sniff,sniffle,I love you guys!!!!!

Kramer
August 28th, 2006, 04:51
Yeah this is big news soon everyone will have 1.5 and hopefully booster decrypts the 2.8 reboot.bin so we can have 2.8 devhook.

NoQuarter
August 28th, 2006, 04:54
You think ta-082's will be able to downgrade with this?
Maybe if we patched 1.5 to appear as if it is higher firmware,version spoof maybe?
It'd be nice to run everything in kernel mode with the highest firmware possible:)
Heck we don't even need to devhook 2.8 yet!
Thanx again for the news kramer,I've been waiting for this:)

Crimson_Lotus
August 28th, 2006, 05:02
I have 2.7 I hope to god that a downgrader or eboot loader comes swiftly

Kramer
August 28th, 2006, 05:03
Yeah with Ookm's method.

NoQuarter
August 28th, 2006, 05:14
I haven't heard much news from ookm's corner lately,hopefully he streamlines his downgrade process.

kando
August 28th, 2006, 05:16
downgrading past 2.5 on a ta-082 will ALWAYS be fatal, not because they cant get the update to run....but once the firmware is installed and boots up, it sees there is something wrong (ta-082's purpose) and it becomes a brick.

somehow ookm is able to downgrade original 2.5 ta-082's, but besides that ta-082 will still be on the same boat, but hey! eboot loader w/ no gta!

Kramer
August 28th, 2006, 05:18
Yeah now people dont have to worry about stupid patched gta bs.

the one and only
August 28th, 2006, 05:27
WOOOT, i cant believe this isnt on the front news page!!!
:D my theory is that the tiff viewer will be gone from the next firmware due to 'security issues' lol

but would sony leave it in... as if they take it out, it mite cause less ppl to upgrade as they loose the tiff viewer?

Kramer
August 28th, 2006, 05:36
Has anyone checked out the hello world it's pretty cool.

NoQuarter
August 28th, 2006, 05:49
Just tried it out with devhook+2.71,all I have to say is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!:D

Edshugeo
August 28th, 2006, 05:49
It is pretty cool. Works on my emulated 2.71, though it needs a hard reset to shut off (I couldn't figure out another way).

Another sucky Monday for the angry tech guys at Sony.

NoQuarter
August 28th, 2006, 05:52
Long live psp homebrew!

stotheamuel
August 28th, 2006, 05:57
It is pretty cool. Works on my emulated 2.71, though it needs a hard reset to shut off (I couldn't figure out another way).

Another sucky Monday for the angry tech guys at Sony.

hahaha

"I think we finaly did it men..an unbeatable firmwa-

What the f*** is that?...... God damnit."

Kramer
August 28th, 2006, 06:00
Yeah sony would be getting pissed of now that link on pspconnect wont be there much longer.

NoQuarter
August 28th, 2006, 06:01
lol,this is beginning of something wonderful.
If the guys at sony already have their new firmware ready,they probably crapped themselves,unless of course the vulnerability is known to them.From what I understand from the readme it's based on a x86 exploit.
Imagine higher firmwares with custom firmware flashed to them.

Briggzy11
August 28th, 2006, 06:11
yeh proper pleased for this, the Tiff was always a problem for sony and hopefully this will make then see sence...

...sorry did I say hopefully lol, well just another of sony's faults :)

Wally
August 28th, 2006, 06:18
Here comes firmware 2.81 :P

Freaking awesome news though!!!!

Lets hope fanjita has an eloader out tomorrow for those who are missing out on our fabulous homebrew!

red_sox32
August 28th, 2006, 06:22
NO more 2.80 and being sony's bitch to all!

luis_05
August 28th, 2006, 06:28
WOW!! what else can i say? its like hackers-50 and Sony-0, lol, im so happy those dudes found an exploit, sony will be crapping their pants once they hear about these news!! yay!!! ^o^

Briggzy11
August 28th, 2006, 06:28
Well I just downloaded Libtiff so might as well have a read of this tiff file and see what the exploit really is about :)

jman420
August 28th, 2006, 06:35
I think that this is awesome, and now demands that all people that have said degrading things like "stupid noob, the Tiff exploit was fixed" can go suck an egg (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!) and just the fact that we may have kernel mode up to 2.7 F/W is awesome :D

felonyr301
August 28th, 2006, 06:45
to be honest maybe this should of came out when the firmware with ps1 emulator is with it cause now sony would probably just take away tiff for the next firmware..

Roxas
August 28th, 2006, 06:46
:eek:THIS IS SO FREAKING GREAT:D But Sony Will Start Working On A File that Will Automatic Upgrade Ur psp Or something But Since the PS1 Emulater will come out this will be a break through..Awsome

ArugulaZ
August 28th, 2006, 06:47
Beautifully done! I look forward to the loader.

(I've been without PSP homebrew for sooooo long... I even considered buying a GP2X to fill that gap!)

So what's this about some PSPs not being able to use this exploit? How can you tell if it's safe to run the exploit on your system?

JR

SnoopKatt
August 28th, 2006, 07:02
Good news. I knew 2.8 wasn't foolproof. But the only problem is that this patch will probably be blocked in the version with PS1 games.

pibs
August 28th, 2006, 07:06
I bet Sony is gona try to assasignate the dev's and blame it on a crazy firmware explosion lol.hope not but wow dev's can't be stopped, they are like terminators on steroids.

scarph
August 28th, 2006, 07:12
Geez I love my timing

I upgraded to 2.71 cus homebrew was going slow, 2.6 downgrader comes out next day

Spent 40 on a new 1.5 so i could use all the delicious homebrew

And of course a few days later this happens

Kill me

BrooksyX
August 28th, 2006, 07:18
Good news I guess but why now:mad: ! These guys should have kept this under the radar untill 3.0, oh well I guess homebrew for all.

scarph
August 28th, 2006, 07:20
lol i dont want homebrew for all

as mean as it sounds, i worked hard for my 1.5, why should idiots enjoy the wonderful (not allowed to say in forums) i do

Sterist
August 28th, 2006, 07:21
ROFL i smell a 2.81 within a week!!

**1_Man_Matrix**
August 28th, 2006, 07:39
Heh, time to play your cards right...

OK! What 2 things are Sony relying on, to make people want to upgrade their firmware?

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories

&

PS1 Emulator.

They are the only 2 interesting things in the barrel... Therefore it's safe to assume Sony do NOT want to screw up the firmware required to run these 2 things.
If they are smart, they will try 1 at a time... Releasing a firmware with the PS1 emulator that also supports GTA:VCS would be suicide, because if it gets cracked, they lose their only weapons against the tantalizing world of homebrew.
If they screw it up, they'll have to wait till GTA:SAS before they have a chance of people actually wanting to upgrade again :p

Funny stuff.

This looks awesome, though yeah, maybe we should see what Sony's next move is?
Nah screw it, whatever they do, Homebrew will prevail :cool:

LampDev
August 28th, 2006, 07:50
This is only a proof of concept. There's no garauntee that kernel access will be possible at all and this exploit can be just as unreliable and memory hoggish as the previous TIFF exploit.

FrierTuck
August 28th, 2006, 07:55
i literaly pissed myself when i saw this,,,,lol jk or am i? no seriously, im kidding, but now i can keep the psp i feel attached to for homebrew

razorak
August 28th, 2006, 07:56
interesting...lol

FrierTuck
August 28th, 2006, 07:58

as mean as it sounds, i worked hard for my 1.5, why should idiots enjoy the wonderful (not allowed to say in forums) i do
Dude, dont be bitch, some of us got psp that cant downgrade or upgraded before we knew what we were doing, on some fronts, i agree, people with 2.8 fw asking for a downgrader or whinning about there problems is annoying, but do you think you could show a little group spirit and be happy for those of us with the disabilitys that come 2.7+

BrooksyX
August 28th, 2006, 08:05
Honestly this is great news I just wish that it could have waited a month or two. Because if sony missed this exploit through like 5 firmwares they still probably wouldnt have realized it for 3.0. Allowing us to atleast have user mode homebrew on 3.0. Who knows maybe 3.0 will bring a better exploit.

Gene
August 28th, 2006, 08:05
Hot damn, sony can't keep up.
LMAOROFL!1!

FrierTuck
August 28th, 2006, 08:08
well, this is all fine and good, but i think im still gonna buy Ape Escape: On The Loose on tuesday

BL4Z3D247
August 28th, 2006, 08:09
Honestly this is great news I just wish that it could have waited a month or two. Because if sony missed this exploit through like 5 firmwares they still probably wouldnt have realized it for 3.0. Allowing us to atleast have user mode homebrew on 3.0. Who knows maybe 3.0 will bring a better exploit.
agreed, but still great news :)

razorak
August 28th, 2006, 08:10
aha...it just occurred to me..lol hopefully no more booting up of gta before other homebrew =)

maybe a permanent 'patch' could be done?? who knows

FrierTuck
August 28th, 2006, 08:11
patch for what?

BrooksyX
August 28th, 2006, 08:16
so that you could load the the eboots right from the game menu instead of running the tiff exploit everytime.

counterwise
August 28th, 2006, 08:17
to be honest maybe this should of came out when the firmware with ps1 emulator is with it cause now sony would probably just take away tiff for the next firmware..
jeah but mabe the link on sonys site and the discovery of this exploit are connected.
abńyway yeah it shouldev been a secret untill 3.0 or 3.1

FrierTuck
August 28th, 2006, 08:21
wait, oh nvm, you mean without a selection menu and crap, and just click it from the regular menu, i c what you mean

BelmontSlayer
August 28th, 2006, 08:23
:eek:THIS IS SO FREAKING GREAT:D But Sony Will Start Working On A File that Will Automatic Upgrade Ur psp Or something But Since the PS1 Emulater will come out this will be a break through..Awsome

That would be illegal, Sony must ask for your permission to install any update. Intalling firmware without user approval is against the law and would cause 1000's of lawsuits.

But this new exploit is great for 2.xx users. Luckily I still have my virgin 1.50. :D

FrierTuck
August 28th, 2006, 08:25
what if we were tricked into doing it, in a way like they tell us theyll give us a plate of hot out of the oven cookies, and we do, and all we get is a high res photo of the presidents wife holding said cookies

motz
August 28th, 2006, 08:36
Straight from www.noobz.eu (http://www.noobz.eu)

Finally, it's here! As of today, the world of homebrew is no longer restricted to owners of Grand Theft Auto.

Following the publication of a new proof of concept TIFF vulnerability by NOPx86, a team of PSP developers has been working hard to turn it into an opening for homebrew on the PSP. We're pleased to announce that the wait is over, with the release of a Hello World demo that runs on all PSP firmwares that are capable of viewing TIFF images!

You can see a photo of it in action here (http://files.fanjita.org/images/hw_all.jpg).

To install, just unpack the ZIP file to your PSP's PHOTO folder, and then attempt to view hello_world.tif. Hello World will launch automatically. You may find that occasionally the full screen doesn't show - this is a known problem, just restart your PSP by holding the power button until it turns off, then open the image again. To quit, hold the power button until the PSP turns off.

So what happens next? This shows that we can run code via this exploit. It won't be too hard to develop an eLoader that can use this exploit on v2.0 - v2.6. v2.7+ will be harder, due to extra security, but will happen a little later. Kernel mode is unavailable on v2.8, but it is likely that a downgrader is possible on all other firmwares. But then, with the possibility of kernel homebrew running without the need for a game UMD, why would you need to downgrade?

Full credit is given in the Hello World, but repeated here: Thanks to NOPx86 for the initial proof of concept on the x86 processor, and psp250, Skylark, Joek2100, CSwindle, JimP and Fanjita for the PSP work. Thanks also to Ditlew, HarleyG and our families for general support during this work.
Great news for all 2.00+ users, I wonder how long it will take Sony to have firmware 2.81 released lol :D

FrierTuck
August 28th, 2006, 08:47
so do we have a time frame on an Eboot loader, like a month or so maybe?

pkmaximum
August 28th, 2006, 08:51
hmmm I wish this exploit could have waited till firmware 3.0

benh
August 28th, 2006, 08:58
this is great news, cant wait for an e-loader or a downloader, thanks to all you great coders out there

compoman386
August 28th, 2006, 09:02
hmmm I wish this exploit could have waited till firmware 3.0

have to agree with that, but this is still great news.

Does this mean that we will eventually have a tool to convert a normal EBOOT for use on a 2.0+ PSP to be launched straight from the XMB, You know like using a KXploit tool like Sei tool?

NeoXCS
August 28th, 2006, 09:10
Yay, another amazing victory for homebrew! :D PSP is what got me into homebrew. I think the coders we have working on the PSP homebrew will never cease to amaze me! :p I'm happy for all the doors this opens for higher firmware users out there. :)

jak66
August 28th, 2006, 09:13
its strange that this was left here for 5 updates, makes you wonder if sony were using it and just saying homebrew is rubbish, lol, that would be funny

D0N
August 28th, 2006, 09:14
Excellent news for everyone! Keep up the great work guys!

Briggzy11
August 28th, 2006, 10:08
There is always a way around sonys stupid games...

...If they stop tiff in 3.0 we can go onto coding MP3's into these exploits by using the tag in a mp3, anything is possible with the file formats sony have generously provided us :)

The_Ultimate_Eggman
August 28th, 2006, 10:18
Start counting the days now !!! devhook 2.80 is on it's way :).

Eonstar
August 28th, 2006, 10:20
Cool but will it work with 2.80 with no bricking problems (for my Little Brother) dont want angry parents

M!ckeY
August 28th, 2006, 10:55
you need to write to the flash in orther to have a chance of bricking, if not then there is no briking only crashes :)

mcvader
August 28th, 2006, 11:20

You worked hard? unless you made you're own downgrader then OTHER people worked hard for you're 1.5 (mine too), as far as calling people who need this exploit "idiots" you were just as dumb when you upgraded your 1.5 to 2.7 (as it say's in you're sig) and it dosnt sound mean, just stupid.:mad:

I know people who have been waiting for this, the homebrew scene can only get better with the more people who can run homebrew, great news for all.:)

It would have been nice if they waited till 3.0 before making this public but there are people who have been waiting for this news.

Porl
August 28th, 2006, 11:20
this is brilliant guys!! well done! i've been waiting for something like this to be found, i knew there were people out there smart enough and sneaky enough to find an exploit!

:D

Porl''

BL4Z3D247
August 28th, 2006, 11:22
this is brilliant guys!! well done! i've been waiting for something like this to be found, i knew there were people out there smart enough and sneaky enough to find an exploit!

:D

Porl''
patience is key :D

b8a
August 28th, 2006, 11:54
Obviously other people are thinking the same thing I am. But, like I was saying months ago, I really wish they would've kept an exploit THIS BIG under wraps until after the PS3 launch.

Frickin sweet that this exploit was found. Just wish they could've waited a few months to announce it. Hopefully a good usable exploit will be found in their next big firmware as well.

Accordion
August 28th, 2006, 12:03
although keeping the exploit a secret until the Psone games, and the PS3 launch seems a good idea…there is always the possibility that sony knew of this exploit, and have patched it already for the next firmware…
without news of the exploit, some 2.70+ users might not see any hope, and upgrade to the 3.00. but if everyone knows, then it will offer new hope to those stuck on higher firmwares…

ronaldinho11
August 28th, 2006, 12:05

dickhead

BL4Z3D247
August 28th, 2006, 12:06
although keeping the exploit a secret until the Psone games, and the PS3 launch seems a good idea…there is always the possibility that sony knew of this exploit, and have patched it already for the next firmware…
without news of the exploit, some 2.70+ users might not see any hope, and upgrade to the 3.00. but if everyone knows, then it will offer new hope to those stuck on higher firmwares…
good point

b8a
August 28th, 2006, 12:09
But there's always the possibility they didn't know about it.

If they missed it this long, there's a good chance they'd keep on missing it for some time to come, and even if 3.0 did come at and was thoroughly patched, would waiting two to three months to find out about this exploit really make that big of a difference? If they (the good devs who put the work into cultivating this) simply told 2.70+ users that there was a potential exploit and not to upgrade as soon as 3.0 does come out, I consider that fair warning. After all, they can't upgrade until the firmware is actually released, and Sony can't patch it once it is.

Pandora's box is open now, so there's not much sense in talking about it, but I REALLY do wish they would've sat on it for a while longer.

Accordion
August 28th, 2006, 12:16
maybe the exploit is there for a reason

or maybe apple would do a better job at making the OS…

mnuhaily22
August 28th, 2006, 12:33
wow, I have waited for this moment ever since i hade to trade in my broken PSP for a TA-082 PSP with firmware 2.60.

shrimpidy
August 28th, 2006, 12:40
I thought i was hopeless with fw 2.71 so i upgraded to 2.8. Now there is a chance to do what I loved on 1.5. I may not upgrade again.

gotmilk0112
August 28th, 2006, 13:20
wtF?!?!? wasnt 2.80 released like 2 weeks ago?! (sry if im wrong i wouldnt know cuz i was away for a month. just got back a week ago)

MUHAHAH!!!
score:

homebrew: 12095772837
sony: -2

:cool:

iniquitous_beast
August 28th, 2006, 13:49
Awesome. I'm in the same boat as shrimpidy. Too bad that I might never see kernel mode again. However, some homebrew is better than none at all.
CONGRATULATIONS AND THANKS TO ALL INVOLVED!!!
and good luck in your further developments of this exploit.

OOOH88
August 28th, 2006, 13:53
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt Man Thankssssssss

Hungry Horace
August 28th, 2006, 14:02
great news for the scene.

a 1.5 downgrader should of course be the priority for non TA-082 users, since the easy access to homebrew surely allows for more flexibility and memory space than would occur with any kind of e-loader.

however, its good that those poor unfortunates with the TA still have some hope, even if they are lumbered on 2.71 ! 2.8 will be fully open in no-time i reckon.... in the mean time there's a potential new e-loader without the pain of loading GTA to look forward to!

kudos to all involved.

The_Ultimate_Eggman
August 28th, 2006, 14:16
dickhead
LMAO too true couldnt have put it better myself !! :D

carpy
August 28th, 2006, 14:26
Ok, maybe I'm a little confused, but am I the only one who seems to get this?

This exploit will ENABLE Kernal access for users of 2.00 thru 2.60.

MEANING - if someone has a 2.60 TA-082 (like myself) then using this exploit they would have the SAME access to Kernal mode Homebrew that ALL 1.50/Devhook users have, except that they WON'T need to run stuff like Devhook to emulate higher firmwares, because they are ALREADY on 2.60, legitimately.

Right?

So to all you guys who keep saying "A 1.50 Downgrader is the BEST situation" - Um, I guess that's not the case anymore - is it?

Why the Hell would a 2.60 TA-082 PSP owner want to downgrade their PSP to 1.50, if using this exploit they would have the SAME abilities as a 1.50 user, PLUS the benefit of a current firmware, and not having to flash their PSP, i.e. NO RISK OF A BRICK.

Seriously, you guys need to use Devhook to make your PSP do what my 2.60 TA-082 will now finally do WITHOUT Devhook, and WITHOUT flashing the firmware.

I predict a whole bunch of people will be UPgrading their PSP's to 2.60 pretty soon. And those that don't will spend a whole bunch fo time fiddling around with junk like Devhook to make their PSP's do what all 2.60 user's PSPs do natively.

DPyro
August 28th, 2006, 14:55
So to all you guys who keep saying "A 1.50 Downgrader is the BEST situation" - Um, I guess that's not the case anymore - is it?

Why the Hell would a 2.60 TA-082 PSP owner want to downgrade their PSP to 1.50, if using this exploit they would have the SAME abilities as a 1.50 user, PLUS the benefit of a current firmware, and not having to flash their PSP, i.e. NO RISK OF A BRICK.

Seriously, you guys need to use Devhook to make your PSP do what my 2.60 TA-082 will now finally do WITHOUT Devhook, and WITHOUT flashing the firmware.

I predict a whole bunch of people will be UPgrading their PSP's to 2.60 pretty soon. And those that don't will spend a whole bunch fo time fiddling around with junk like Devhook to make their PSP's do what all 2.60 user's PSPs do natively.
1.50 firmware runs a lot faster than 2.60 thats why its considered the best (also you can run eboots straight from the game option). Devhook works perfectly and theres not really much fidelling around with it...you can already run 2.80 in devhook too.

gunntims0103
August 28th, 2006, 15:00
thou i am a 1.5 user i have to say that this is great news for all 2.0^2.8 users the fact that a expliot is soon to be out is great news thou this should have been kept under locks untill sony released a firware actually containing there ps1 emu like say 3.0 or something of that nature i have no dout that as soon as sony gets wind of this they will be creating an update to counter the tiff expliot say 2.81 as many of us have considered once this is patched by sony it will be even harder for homebrew to flurish on higher fireware past 2.8 after the ps1 emu is released is what im talking about but i do believe that our very own coders could come up with there ps1 emu for all to enjoy as we all are looking forward to this...............i have to say many great things these past months homebrew wise im lovin it

iniquitous_beast
August 28th, 2006, 15:12
I expect 2.81 to be released within a week. Nevertheless, I am confident that much can be done for the the scene through this new exploit. After the ps1 emu comes out; there will surely be new, exploitable flaws in its host firmware. Hell, I still remember when everyone was moaning about the 2.00 firmware being the death of homebrew.

QueadlunnRau
August 28th, 2006, 15:16
WOW this is great news!!! This news almost made me into a lier!!!

All my buddies want PSP's that run homebrew but I tell them not to get a new PSP to do this as anything with FW2.71 or higher cannot be downgraded/exploited ... Thank God I told them "Cannot run these homebrew yet."

carpy
August 28th, 2006, 15:21
1.50 firmware runs a lot faster than 2.60 thats why its considered the best (also you can run eboots straight from the game option). Devhook works perfectly and theres not really much fidelling around with it...you can already run 2.80 in devhook too.

1.50 runs WHAT a lot faster? the Menu? Who gives a shit how fast the menu runs? You're only in the menu for like 2 seconds anyway.

With this exploit, all Homebrew will have the SAME Kernal access that 1.50 has. Meaning - All homebrew will run at the same speed on 2.60 that it does on 1.5.

This isn't an "already in RAM Eloader". It's a Kernal level exploit, same as 1.50.

benh
August 28th, 2006, 15:31
i wonder if this the 2.0 downgrader will work with this

DPyro
August 28th, 2006, 15:34
1.50 runs WHAT a lot faster? the Menu? Who gives a shit how fast the menu runs? You're only in the menu for like 2 seconds anyway.

With this exploit, all Homebrew will have the SAME Kernal access that 1.50 has. Meaning - All homebrew will run at the same speed on 2.60 that it does on 1.5.

This isn't an "already in RAM Eloader". It's a Kernal level exploit, same as 1.50.
No, the higher firmware have more overhead cause of the extras and it is noticable. Besides there are such things as the music and photos folder (which some people would actually use) so ya, you are in the xmb for more than two second :rolleyes: And I'm pretty sure there are limits on what you can run on 2.60 etc

Accordion
August 28th, 2006, 15:36
...you can already run 2.80 in devhook too.

…?
…?
hmmmm…?

Hungry Horace
August 28th, 2006, 15:39
Right?

you are forgetting that the menu for loading homebrew on 2.0+ will *always* fill up some of the memory, which could be used for homebrew.

theis might not seem important to you if the homebrew you want runs fine, but i happen to know that pspuae is very memory hungry if you will let it be, and if it is to ever suport harddrive emulation, every free byte is gonna count!

that's why -I- would prefer to have 1.5 devhooked up than run any form of e-loader through an exploit. exploits will *always* use more memory... although this will no doubt be a lot more memory efficient than the GTA exploit!

so yes... "it is the case" that in some instances it would STILL be better to have 1.5

psiko_scweek
August 28th, 2006, 15:40
for those people who were wishing that the exploit would have been under wraps till 3.0 or whatnot. if you would have visited PSPupdates (not saying they are great or anything) they posted news on this exploit like a week ago, though it wasnt running code as of yet. So, sony already knew about the problem most likely.

also for those who were saying maybe the exploit was left in there on purpose..i doubt that. If the exploit was found in a game, id believe it (increase game sales), but not in the xMb.

but, if sony hadnt known about this exploit, it would have been great to hold off on it for a lil bit, as the PS3 can view TIFF files too....homebrew on the PS3 anyone?

lol

psiko.

nyrtrublue
August 28th, 2006, 15:42
Good news I guess but why now:mad: ! These guys should have kept this under the radar untill 3.0, oh well I guess homebrew for all.

I was wondering if anyone else felt this way. This shoulda stayed under the radar the psone emulator is coming out in the next couple of months and maybe the exploit woulda still been there. Now devs may need another exploit soon.

Hiei311
August 28th, 2006, 15:45
oh just great it comes out on the same day as my
gp2x got here, gettin the gp2x is good for when the psp has to be updated....great ****in news cant wait 4 the downgrader for 2.8

brymaster
August 28th, 2006, 15:45
Geez I love my timing

I upgraded to 2.71 cus homebrew was going slow, 2.6 downgrader comes out next day

Spent 40 on a new 1.5 so i could use all the delicious homebrew

And of course a few days later this happens

Kill me

You're a ****ing moron.

Emeriastone
August 28th, 2006, 16:01
it works like magic!

jrsmaster411
August 28th, 2006, 16:01
Ok, maybe I'm a little confused, but am I the only one who seems to get this?

This exploit will ENABLE Kernal access for users of 2.00 thru 2.60.

MEANING - if someone has a 2.60 TA-082 (like myself) then using this exploit they would have the SAME access to Kernal mode Homebrew that ALL 1.50/Devhook users have, except that they WON'T need to run stuff like Devhook to emulate higher firmwares, because they are ALREADY on 2.60, legitimately.

Right?

Yeah right keep dreaming the day everyone upgrades to 2.6 i'll eat my face. first of all I don't think this has kernel access. and a 1.5 can do more than a 2.6 cause it can do what a 2.71 can and I dont think you know how easy it is to run devhook you can run it at start up automatically and its like having a second fimware. Also if this xploit is a loader like the gta exploit and tiff from 2.00 than it'll be slower than a 1.5 and take up memory. so dont get your hopes up on the price of a 2.6 TA-082 going through the roof

ExcruciationX
August 28th, 2006, 16:35
Wow! Just saw this today!

warped
August 28th, 2006, 16:40
yea this is great news! :D

psp411
August 28th, 2006, 16:40
This is great news if you ask me. Even though i have a fw 1.5 psp, im planning to buy another one for me adn one more for my brother .i know that every store that i will goto to buy a fw 2.6 or lower psp will probably have 2.7 or 2.71 fw so to see homebrew come to those higher firmwares is good:cool::D. thanks is due where thanks is owed. so thanks to ALL of the people who was involved in the discovery of this libtiff exploit adn the devs who have utilised the exploit to make it run our beloved unsigned codes. THANK YOU!

Sterist
August 28th, 2006, 16:52
it wouldnt work on 2.50 (dev) but did on 2.71 (dev), weird.

RUN SONEY RUN!!!!11!!1!

psp411
August 28th, 2006, 16:57

do you know what youre saying? in my opinion, 1.5 will always be the best because it and fw 1.0 are the only ones that can run almost any codes made for the psp. sure 2.6 will be great but think of it... what if it isnt FULL kernel access as they predict. now how will you feel? so there. then youll want to have 1.5 like everyone else who has it. and btw, devhook will always be better than the original thing. why you ask? because bricking that fw will only screw up the devhook settings adn devhook use files adn not the actal built in nand flash fw. so even if you do get full kernel access like 1.5, if you accidentlly screw something up, say bye bye to ur beloved psp. if you had devhooked the fw, you would end up with ur 1.5 fw and a bunch of wrecked and corrupted files on ur mem stick instead of ur psp(easily fixable with a few clicks of ur mouse pad and your keyboard).so think of that befor you hate on devhook adn on 1.5 psp. WE WILL ALWAYS BE BETTR AHAHAHA:D(done flaming:P...p.s dont take it personally... im not mad at what your saying.... just look at it from another perspective)

felonyr301
August 28th, 2006, 16:59
i love these people's work but damn sometimes its best to wait a bit to show off your winning move you know well im just like this because i wanted that sony ps1 emulator without giving up my homebrew stuff..

sroon
August 28th, 2006, 17:01
Great job guys!
what im gessing is devhook is cumming next well with 2.80 then prolly 3.00!
Once again GREAT JOB GUYS!
( O ) ( O );)

zevende
August 28th, 2006, 17:03
When I click the link, it redirects me to http://xhardwarereviews.com/suspended.page/. Is noobz.eu down? Very cool stuff, though. I'll try the exploit out.

S34MU5
August 28th, 2006, 17:17
my mate has 2.8 (HAHAHA) and it dusnt work on his dus it depend on what psp u have or anything

Video_freak
August 28th, 2006, 17:21
So when can we expect an eLoader for 2.8? :)

Accordion
August 28th, 2006, 17:34
new loader for 2.00-2.60 will come very soon (within a month)

for 2.70+…it will take along time

Tony99
August 28th, 2006, 17:35
how long will it take for them to make an eloader or a downgrader?????????

S34MU5
August 28th, 2006, 17:36
can any of you help my friend he says his psp crashes as soon as he views the tiff he is 2.8
i c u got i running in the pic
help......?

psp411
August 28th, 2006, 17:41
simple... copy the pic into ur photo folder, view the photo on ur psp and BAM! youll see the wavy screen. it crashed my devhookded psp so i think you need to do a cold reboot after viewing the photo. if it does crash and you saw the wavy words prior to the crash it means its working. its just a basic program that lets people know homebrew is headin theit way. lets sing everyboy!!

People get ready for the train acomin,
dont need no ticket you just get onboard.
faith is the key so just come apraisin,
dont need no ticket, you just thank the Lord.
well since theres homebrew now for all fw,
sony is pissin their pants.
as the devs provail in hacking the psp,
sony is looking more like ants.
so long as devs live,
there is always hope for psp.
no need to worry about it,
just thank the lord for the devs who hack this great machine.:D

GO DEVS!!!:cool: :D

Video_freak
August 28th, 2006, 17:43
new loader for 2.00-2.60 will come very soon (within a month)

for 2.70+…it will take along time
Does that mean kernal mode for 2.0-2.6 users through this loader? :)
Nevermind, I found the answer myself. They even talk of a 2.71 downgrader! :eeK: :)

S34MU5
August 28th, 2006, 17:45
jesus i no what to do. im not retatred(i cant spell thow)
but he is havin probs anyone havin the same thing
it just crashes?

red_sox32
yup

YourStillWithMe
I always tell you all to be patient, don't I? This exploit=A-M-A-Z-I-N-G I agree with most of you in the hopes that devhook soon emulates 2.80

I just rented madden (for free) last night and it requires 2.71 i think that next month its 2.80 time!!! (Frown) I'm never gonna upgrade from 1.50 though never. I can have enough fun with my 2.00-2.71 emulation right now.

But seriously though guys, I know its cool but what is the point of the 2.00 exploit? We already have the tiff exploit for that and a few loaders. . .

Video_freak
August 28th, 2006, 17:46
I always tell you all to be patient, don't I? This exploit=A-M-A-Z-I-N-G I agree with most of you in the hopes that devhook soon emulates 2.80

I just rented madden (for free) last night and it requires 2.71 i think that next month its 2.80 time!!! (Frown) I'm never gonna upgrade from 1.50 though never. I can have enough from with my 2.00-2.71 emulation right now
1.60? :confused:

YourStillWithMe
August 28th, 2006, 17:49
sorry, i meant 1.50 i just edited it

Video_freak
August 28th, 2006, 17:50
Oh lol. I better change the quote then. ;)

RetroGoth
August 28th, 2006, 18:06
great news!!!

carpy
August 28th, 2006, 18:21
Yeah right keep dreaming the day everyone upgrades to 2.6 i'll eat my face. first of all I don't think this has kernel access. and a 1.5 can do more than a 2.6 cause it can do what a 2.71 can and I dont think you know how easy it is to run devhook you can run it at start up automatically and its like having a second fimware. Also if this xploit is a loader like the gta exploit and tiff from 2.00 than it'll be slower than a 1.5 and take up memory. so dont get your hopes up on the price of a 2.6 TA-082 going through the roof

Wrong.

Finally, it’s here! As of today, the world of homebrew is no longer restricted to owners of Grand Theft Auto.

Following the publication of a new proof of concept TIFF vulnerability by NOPx86, a team of PSP developers has been working hard to turn it into an opening for homebrew on the PSP. We’re pleased to announce that the wait is over, with the release of a Hello World demo that runs on all PSP firmwares that are capable of viewing TIFF images!

To install, just unpack this ZIP file to your PSP’s PHOTO folder, and then attempt to view hello_world.tif. Hello World will launch automatically. You may find that occasionally the full screen doesn’t show - this is a known problem, just restart your PSP by holding the power button until it turns off, then open the image again. To quit, hold the power button until the PSP turns off.

So what happens next? This shows that we can run code via this exploit. It won’t be too hard to develop an eLoader that can use this exploit on v2.0 - v2.6. v2.7+ will be harder, due to extra security, but will happen a little later. Kernel mode is unavailable on v2.8, but it is likely that a downgrader is possible on all other firmwares. But then, with the possibility of kernel homebrew running without the need for a game UMD, why would you need to downgrade?

ronaldinho11
August 28th, 2006, 18:33
People get ready for the train acomin,
dont need no ticket you just get onboard.
faith is the key so just come apraisin,
dont need no ticket, you just thank the Lord.
well since theres homebrew now for all fw,
sony is pissin their pants.
as the devs provail in hacking the psp,
sony is looking more like ants.
so long as devs live,
there is always hope for psp.
no need to worry about it,
just thank the lord for the devs who hack this great machine.:D

GO DEVS!!!:cool: :D

GAY

Video_freak
August 28th, 2006, 18:34
GAY
No, he's expressing joy. Your gay for ruining it, ronaldinho wannabee. :mad:

S34MU5
August 28th, 2006, 18:41
no its gay

tallica
August 28th, 2006, 18:44
Wow this is awesome! Can you imagine having harleygs custom firmware on 2.71!?? No more need for devhook now. This may even stop piracy if devhook isnt used anymore.

Video_freak
August 28th, 2006, 18:46
no its gay
Yeah I know. :p

muffinman
August 28th, 2006, 19:36
this is a very good bit of news indeed

Video_freak
August 28th, 2006, 19:37
this is a very good bit of news indeed
Yup! Sony shall never win the War! :D

psp411
August 28th, 2006, 19:39
thank you

n yes... i know its ghey... cudnt help it tho... but it did wut i wanted it to do... gave a few laughs or did it??

Zion
August 28th, 2006, 19:44
One word .... OMG :D

Rocksil
August 28th, 2006, 19:46
Wow Best News I Heard All Week ;)

Video_freak
August 28th, 2006, 19:46
thank you

n yes... i know its ghey... cudnt help it tho... but it did wut i wanted it to do... gave a few laughs or did it??
Yeah I laughed a little. ;)

Fanjita
August 28th, 2006, 21:00
Obviously other people are thinking the same thing I am. But, like I was saying months ago, I really wish they would've kept an exploit THIS BIG under wraps until after the PS3 launch.

Frickin sweet that this exploit was found. Just wish they could've waited a few months to announce it. Hopefully a good usable exploit will be found in their next big firmware as well.

This keeps being said, but it's wrong.

Do you think we didn't think long and hard about the release schedule?

The simple fact is that this bug is already on the public buglists for libtiff, and in fact has been fixed on Mac OS X already. That means a public fix for libtiff is just around the corner.

Sony are not dumb any more when it comes to open source bugs... you can follow many fixes in libungif and libtiff through the various firmwares. You can bet your left nut (hell, you can bet mine if you like) that Sony would have included a fix for this in 3.0, regardless of whether we released anything.

So why wait?

carpy
August 28th, 2006, 21:07
Hey fanjita - how far away is the next eloader?

And will the 2.00 thru 2.60 PSPs have Kernal level support with this exploit?

BL4Z3D247
August 28th, 2006, 21:07

The simple fact is that this bug is already on the public buglists for libtiff, and in fact has been fixed on Mac OS X already. That means a public fix for libtiff is just around the corner.

Sony are not dumb any more when it comes to open source bugs... you can follow many fixes in libungif and libtiff through the various firmwares. You can bet your left nut (hell, you can bet mine if you like) that Sony would have included a fix for this in 3.0, regardless of whether we released anything.

So why wait?
good point Fanjita, oh and excellent work u guys never cease to amaze us :D

Fanjita
August 28th, 2006, 21:08
Hey fanjita - how far away is the next eloader?

And will the 2.00 thru 2.60 PSPs have Kernal level support with this exploit?

Dunno. Yes.

carpy
August 28th, 2006, 21:11
Dunno. Yes.

Sweet.

Take your time and 1,000,000 thanks to you and the rest of the team for not abandoning us unfortunate TA-082 users.

Accordion
August 28th, 2006, 21:19
glad i was right about the release of this exploit.

if the uncompromising SONY started working with the reliable APPLE then psp homebrew would be doomed!!

gunntims0103
August 28th, 2006, 21:20
well now that i actually read it from fanjita's post that full kernal access for 2.0^2.6 im happy it seems wierd cause everyone wanted to downgrade and now higher firwares are gonna have the same homebrew capabilitys ...............hold on let me stop what am i saying 1.5 rules NUFF SAID!!!!!!!

ronaldinho11
August 28th, 2006, 21:28
Wow Best News I Heard All Week ;)

Nah best news is Rio Ferdinand only having a bruised toe is better than the broken one people thought.

BlitztheEnkidna
August 28th, 2006, 21:30
How does GTA relate to Homebrew items?

BL4Z3D247
August 28th, 2006, 21:32
well now that i actually read it from fanjita's post that full kernal access for 2.0^2.6 im happy it seems wierd cause everyone wanted to downgrade and now higher firwares are gonna have the same homebrew capabilitys ...............hold on let me stop what am i saying 1.5 rules NUFF SAID!!!!!!!
LMAO...DUHHHH!!! lol :p, atleast they won't need GTA:LCS to play homebrew now...god how i don't miss that :D

Ihavenolife
August 28th, 2006, 21:34
Thank you Thank you Thank you so much.
I upgraded for the music because I really needed it. And about a week later the first n64 emu came out.

But thanks to you guys I get to finally use homebrew again! And listen to music! You guys rock. And waiting a couple of months isn't so bad if you know that you will be able to play homebrew.

I_hate_firmware
August 28th, 2006, 21:43
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

CrAzY_fLiP3
August 28th, 2006, 21:58
whoo hooooooooooooooooooo yeahhhhh sony YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH what nowwwwwwww your silly little firmware upgrades arent gonna stop us :cool: :D

zevende
August 28th, 2006, 22:22
I haven't heard any tech details yet on why a 2.70/2.71 homebrew loader would take more time and be more difficult to make. All I've heard is that there are some security measures that would make it hard. If anyone has any detailed information about this, I would appreciate hearing it.

BL4Z3D247
August 28th, 2006, 22:27
I haven't heard any tech details yet on why a 2.70/2.71 homebrew loader would take more time and be more difficult to make. All I've heard is that there are some security measures that would make it hard. If anyone has any detailed information about this, I would appreciate hearing it.
well if my thoughts are right this new eloader will run on 2.0-2.8, so it will come out in one release for 2.0-2.8, now 2.0-2.6 will beable to acess kernel mode where as 2.7-2.8 won't

zevende
August 28th, 2006, 22:39
well if my thoughts are right this new eloader will run on 2.0-2.8, so it will come out in one release for 2.0-2.8, now 2.0-2.6 will beable to acess kernel mode where as 2.7-2.8 won't
I thought it was only 2.8 that had no kernel mode. If it is true that there is no kernel mode in 2.70/2.71, wouldn't it be possible to easily make a user mode homebrew loader?

mavsman4457
August 28th, 2006, 22:59
good point Fanjita, oh and excellent work u guys sieze to amaze us :D

You CEASE to amaze us is what you actually should have said. I don't mean to be a jerk but I just thought it might help you when you're interviewing for a job or something important like that and people think you're stupid because you say seize rather than cease. :)

Anyways, back on subject. This is amazing although it is dissapointing that 2.71-2.8 don't have kernel access. Now it is insignificant that I just bought a 1.5 off of ebay, NOOOO! Whatever now there will be more homebrew for all. And maybe with all the people that went to PSPupdates on the Sony connect slip up those people will have found out about this exploit and homebrew will become increasingly popular.

Edit: Hooray! I just realized that now when noobs come in and say, "I can't get this running. How do we get homebrew working on a 2.71?" we can come in and say, "Use the eloader!"

hockey2112
August 28th, 2006, 23:08
You CEASE to amaze us is what you actually should have said. I don't mean to be a jerk but I just thought it might help you when you're interviewing for a job or something important like that and people think you're stupid because you say seize rather than cease. :)

You are both wrong... it should be "you NEVER CEASE to amaze us". If you cease to amaze someone, they are no longer amazed by you. ;)

This is really great news. I can't wait to see what comes of it over the next few months.

mavsman4457
August 28th, 2006, 23:48
You are both wrong... it should be "you NEVER CEASE to amaze us". If you cease to amaze someone, they are no longer amazed by you. ;)

This is really great news. I can't wait to see what comes of it over the next few months.

Touche my friend. I knew I was going out on a limb by trying to make such a long post about a simple correction.

BL4Z3D247
August 28th, 2006, 23:55
ok geez sorry if i spelled ONE word wrong, and don't get sassy and go saying but u spelled "u" wrong, its "you" :p, i know, i type in a hurry....GOD hehe jk guys thanx for the correction(s) :D

eazy-e
August 28th, 2006, 23:57
i cant wait for a downgrader for 2.71 using this exploit

BL4Z3D247
August 29th, 2006, 00:09
I thought it was only 2.8 that had no kernel mode. If it is true that there is no kernel mode in 2.70/2.71, wouldn't it be possible to easily make a user mode homebrew loader?
thats what they're doing...i think 2.0-2.6 will beable to access both user mode and kernel mode but 2.7+ will only beable to access user mode...these are all educated guesses, i have 1.5 so i haven't read to deeply into it yet

paco1984
August 29th, 2006, 00:15
beautiful. thanks for all the hard work this is deffinately a huge step forward. i realy miss my homebrew since i updated to 2.80

**1_Man_Matrix**
August 29th, 2006, 00:17

Did you never bounce between 2.60 and 1.50?
Running via the GTA exploit, I could only use the Gameboy emulator and Doom, everthing else (Including and unfortuntely, the SNES emualtor) were slow as all hell.

Yer, it's the overhead that kills the apps.
Never been as quick as 1.50 had, now I can run all apps full speed.

psiko_scweek
August 29th, 2006, 00:22
all you silly people who are waiting for a 2.x downgrader using this exploit....im waiting for a RAM patch that will allow us to run our games from the XMB like 1.5 can!

ryguy104
August 29th, 2006, 00:22
I've been waiting so long for an exploit to come out on psp firmware 2.80. Cause I have 2.80. I hope this means that some sort of downgrader can be developed. great work guys.:

MasterChafed
August 29th, 2006, 00:34
This is some of the best news i have heard in a while. I come home from school and was like "damn, there is a lot of news today" so i keep scrolling down (seemed like a good day apparently) and BOOM, homebrew on all consoles. GREAT STUFF.

mavsman4457
August 29th, 2006, 00:52
I've been waiting so long for an exploit to come out on psp firmware 2.80. Cause I have 2.80. I hope this means that some sort of downgrader can be developed. great work guys.:

OK so I guess nowadays a month constitutes "so long."

zevende
August 29th, 2006, 01:13
OK. I checked it out, and pspupdates says "This application runs in "User Mode", but kernel mode will be achievable on all firmwares except 2.80." So that means we can have awesome kernel mode homebrew on 2.70!!! :-)

zevende
August 29th, 2006, 01:19
On this exploit, you can't downgrade 2.80. On 2.80 you can only access "user mode" meaning you can't downgrade and only use user mode compatible homebrew, which I believe gives you less features and slower speed. At least you have that, though. I'd kill for user mode homebrew before I saw this exploit.

Kramer
August 29th, 2006, 01:21
OK. I checked it out, and pspupdates says "This application runs in "User Mode", but kernel mode will be achievable on all firmwares except 2.80." So that means we can have awesome kernel mode homebrew on 2.70!!! :-)

Yep that's what it says in the first post if you actually read it you wouldnt of had to go to pspupdates to find out.;)

DenofLions
August 29th, 2006, 01:35
Just tried this on Devhook.

Once they get a working Eloader it shall make my foolish friends who updated to 2.7 very happy. :D

FrierTuck
August 29th, 2006, 01:56
ok, someone wanna tell me if work has begun on an eLoader, i realese that we 2.7/8 users are going to have to wait our turn but im sure he work will go smoothly

tallica
August 29th, 2006, 02:04
Give them time! In a month or less fanjita and ditlew will have an awesome new eloader :) Denoflions are you in atg?

FrierTuck
August 29th, 2006, 02:05
believe me, im not asking for anything like a n00b, im just quite excited lol

tallica
August 29th, 2006, 02:11
lol same! it made me as hapy as when i downgraded from 2.6

westlake
August 29th, 2006, 02:14
awesome guys!!! cant wait 4 2.71 homebrew:>)

FrierTuck
August 29th, 2006, 02:19
true story, i guess ill have to be happy with Ape Escape lumines and ridge racers till then though

dtothabreezy
August 29th, 2006, 02:21
o sheeat thats great news

Adrian_au
August 29th, 2006, 02:39
I don’t understand why, if kernel access is possible through firmware’s 2.0-2.71 it's not possible to modify the firmware to allow unsigned eboots (such as running programs though the game menu). Is this because of extra security? Or is it because the exploit works though user mode? So… does anyone know the reason?

JD/
August 29th, 2006, 03:32
yea its because of extra security. I think this should have been kept under wraps until 3.0 came out maybe we could have used it to hack 3.0 but now they might block tiff viewing or put up some kind of extra security.

Kramer
August 29th, 2006, 03:39
yea its because of extra security. I think this should have been kept under wraps until 3.0 came out maybe we could have used it to hack 3.0 but now they might block tiff viewing or put up some kind of extra security.

Fanjita already commented about this a few pages back.

JD/
August 29th, 2006, 04:43
hmm well i guess its too late now lol all we can do is hope that sony screw up like they always do :)

de.silva89
August 29th, 2006, 04:44
This is great!, but I really can't see a properly working exploit for 2.80 being made quite yet, maybe they should just concentrate on a downgrader, and yes I know they are having difficulties with kernal mode, but i guess they could manage it.... ....eventually

anyways great work you guys, your work means a lot to many gamers inc. me! thanks

Zargon
August 29th, 2006, 05:33
Wow, these people just keep impressing me more and more! This is awesome!:)

ronaldinho11
August 29th, 2006, 12:29
all you silly people who are waiting for a 2.x downgrader using this exploit....im waiting for a RAM patch that will allow us to run our games from the XMB like 1.5 can!

thts cos ur a stupid geek

BL4Z3D247
August 29th, 2006, 13:58
thts cos ur a stupid geek
dude take ur crappy comments somewhere else, f*ckin baby

X-Snake-X
August 29th, 2006, 14:52
I've got just a little silly question...
I can start this tiff file with my pre-flashes 2.60.
But how can I now downgrade?
Is this just a sample and the real downgrader is
coming out later?

btw.
too bad that there aren't downgraders for a
pre-flashed 2.60.
And upgrade to 2.7 is also nonesense because there isn't a downgrader for 2.7...

BL4Z3D247
August 29th, 2006, 14:54
I've got just a little silly question...
I can start this tiff file with my pre-flashes 2.60.
But how can I know downgrade?
Is this just a sample and the real downgrader is
coming out later?

btw.
too bad that there aren't downgraders for a
pre-flashed 2.60.
And upgrade to 2.7 is also nonesense because there isn't a downgrader for 2.7...
it's not a downgrader, it's an eloader but a downgrader is sure to come outta this

X-Snake-X
August 29th, 2006, 14:56
oh... but as I asked:

this eLoader isn't out yet or am I wrong?
It's just a sample?

Kramer
August 29th, 2006, 14:56
Yeah your pre flashed 2.6 will be downgradeable soon.

X-Snake-X
August 29th, 2006, 14:57
I'm really looking forward to this day XD
It's very annoying to start GTA at first and then the
homebrew...

Fanjita
August 29th, 2006, 17:01
I don’t understand why, if kernel access is possible through firmware’s 2.0-2.71 it's not possible to modify the firmware to allow unsigned eboots (such as running programs though the game menu). Is this because of extra security? Or is it because the exploit works though user mode? So… does anyone know the reason?

Because it's harder than you think. It's being worked on.

FrierTuck
August 29th, 2006, 17:06
OMG its Fanjita, and im posting after him, wowzords, you will be chronologed into the texts of homebrew history as the man who beat sony o so many times, again, thnx for your work

dejkirkby
August 29th, 2006, 17:09
Just like to say *ass kiss alert* Fanjita is the coder who saved my psp's from being relegated to the back of a cupboard and opened the world of homebrew to me.
I tip my hat to you, sir.

Kramer
August 29th, 2006, 17:22
You guys are all forgetting that fanjita wasnt the one who found this exploit.

dejkirkby
August 29th, 2006, 17:25
I know, and full respect to anyone who develops or even attempts to develop for the homebrew scene on all consoles, but I was stating it was Fanjita and co. who got me to try things with my psp that I would never thought of.

ronaldinho11
August 29th, 2006, 18:48
dude take ur crappy comments somewhere else, f*ckin baby

shut up u tart, hes being abusive by calling those people silly n making a stance

FrierTuck
August 29th, 2006, 19:17
@ronaldinho11 ok then, what did i miss, is there gonna be a flame war?

mavsman4457
August 29th, 2006, 19:42
shut up u tart, hes being abusive by calling those people silly n making a stance

You're offended when someone says silly?! I don't think you should be, I'm sure he had no ill-intent.

I_hate_firmware
August 29th, 2006, 19:46
Thanks to all of the coders who found this exploit.
It will kick ass if an e-loder comes out for 2.80. I got my psp and upraded because i didn't know what homebrew was. Then whenever a dowgrader or something came out i had already upgraded.

flurble

FrierTuck
August 29th, 2006, 20:27
how many coders are there working on making eboot loaders etc. cause im just wondering like what percentage of coders are good enough to do the real work like that

Accordion
August 29th, 2006, 20:31
very few

very dedicated

very…erm…great

Hawky05
August 29th, 2006, 20:39
Awesome news... I'm still gonna stick with 1.5 until something persuades me to upgrade.. (more than likely the PS1 emu)

AvengedSevenfold Fan
August 29th, 2006, 20:44
Omg, This Is A Revolution

jak66
August 29th, 2006, 21:12

famjita didnt find any of the exploits (not sure about first tiff exploit), he just devolped them to useable levels

Accordion
August 29th, 2006, 21:26
actually the tiff exploits so far have been based on normal windows exploits based on the vulnerability of the format overflow.

it wasnt really sonys fault…
(i think)

Gizmo356
August 29th, 2006, 21:57
good thing sony is stupid

nastic
August 29th, 2006, 22:13
five letters....one word.... SWEET

s1k0
August 29th, 2006, 23:12
holy crap nice!!!!!!!

FrierTuck
August 29th, 2006, 23:38
sk10, i see you are a proud owner of an Ape Escape title, more power to the Ape, and yah, i think ive commented in this thred to much lol

JD/
August 29th, 2006, 23:38
Awesome news... I'm still gonna stick with 1.5 until something persuades me to upgrade.. (more than likely the PS1 emu)
If I were you i would'nt upgrade theres a homebrew ps1 emu in the works if your patient you can have both but if your not say goodbye to homebrew :(

1.5 forever!!!

Hawky05
August 30th, 2006, 01:04
Yeah.. I agree with that tbh.. but they got homebrew running on 2.8 so who's not to say they wont get it running on 2.x - 3.x etc.

yeah.. i'll happily wait anyway..

FrierTuck
August 30th, 2006, 03:44
Yeah.. I agree with that tbh.. but they got homebrew running on 2.8
only PoC right now, but i cant wait lol

b8a
August 30th, 2006, 07:49

So why wait?First of all, thanks for all you've done for the homebrew community, Fanjita. All your work has been greatly appreciated. Thanks for addressing my post as well, it's always nice to know what's going through your guys' minds. There were just a few points I wanted to address.

First you said: This keeps being said, but it's wrong.
What's wrong? In case you didn't notice, I never stated any facts in there, other than the fact that I HAD said months ago that I was wishing that exploits for 2.60+ systems be kept under wraps until after the PS3 launch. And even when I was saying that months ago, I publicly acknowledged that that desire was purely my own opinion and that I knew any exploits would be released ASAP irregardless. So in reality, with the release of this exploit, it looks like, if anything, I was actually right.

Second, you said: Sony are not dumb any more when it comes to open source bugs
But I disagree that they were ever "dumb". But then again, I'm not one of the people who thinks that there's a war going on with Sony over homebrew (Despite the countless opportunities they've had to do so, I've still never read a single article which quotes Sony as being anti-homebrew). I think it's merely a case of differing priorities. Sony's a huge, lumbering corporation which is not only inefficient in many ways, but also has markedly different priorities from those of us in the homebrew community. Moves that we see as dumb may have merely been judgement calls, or even non-priorities on their part.

Which brings me to point three: Why wait?
On the off chance that they don't fix it. Yes, it's a gamble, but there'd be virtually nothing to loose even if it does get fixed. Yes, they almost certainly would have fixed it, but even if there had been a 1% chance of this going unfixed before, you have now pretty much reduced that chance to zero. Unfortunately now we'll never know since, while they haven't always been as proactive as they could be about shutting down security vulnerabilities, they have always made a point of addressing the specific vulnerabilites once they've crop up through homebrew sollutions.

Conversely, I'd like to ask, WHY release this now?
By all accounts, the next big firmware launch is a little over two months away, and, from what I've read, it's looking like this won't be of practical use to the community at large for at least another month. Which means that by the time anyone's using this on their PSP, the next firmware release will be just a few weeks away. Surely waiting a few weeks to see whether or not Sony does indeed patch it on their own would have been bearable?

Just to set the record straight, I do greatly appreciate the efforts of you and everyone involved in the development of this exploit. I'm not trying to be ungreatful or critical, it's just a little frustrating to think that we're so close to the release of what sounds like it could be the most important firmware release ever, and we couldn't even wait a couple of months to see if a known exploit for running homebrew would slide under the radar (!_!) Sigh...

Cheers my friend, and keep up the good work.

BL4Z3D247
August 30th, 2006, 08:00
someone said it was already confirmed that $ony patched this exploit in 3.0(don't know if it's true just what i heard someone say), thats why they are releasing it sooner than later...thats why he said why wait

ronaldinho11
August 30th, 2006, 09:27
good thing sony is stupid

the same people that actually made tht psp you purachased? wow if theyre stupid they made something pretty good...

817CH
August 31st, 2006, 20:22
do u need gta Liberty City Stories to run this process? Im new here.

FrierTuck
August 31st, 2006, 20:24
no you dont, it runs from the pictures menu

osiris661
August 31st, 2006, 20:38
Man oh man this news makes me a happy clam :D
I just got my PSP which has 2.60 Firmware and the whole GTA thing is a bit annoying as I can't seem to find a non-patched version of it to be able to downgrade with. The only reason I purchased my PSP was for Homebrew. I love you all who work on the exploits and would gladly buy you many beers if I ever meet you. Keep up the AMAZING work!!!:) :) :p :D

817CH
August 31st, 2006, 21:25
lol

Gizmo356
August 31st, 2006, 21:30
the same people that actually made tht psp you purachased? wow if theyre stupid they made something pretty good...
lol yeah:D

acn010
August 31st, 2006, 21:44
thats nice!
bye :'(

817CH
August 31st, 2006, 22:46
But what downloads do u need to run this process?
What does this even do im new at this

FrierTuck
September 1st, 2006, 03:35
just load it onto your memory stick, as a picture, like put it in the photos folder

bassman
September 2nd, 2006, 22:52
sorry if this question is possibly the noobiest question ever posted on these thar forums but, can someone please explain to me what this is....in noob language. Am i to beleive that 2.0+ users can now use homebrew without the gta eloader (god bless fanjita)?

g3nesis
September 3rd, 2006, 16:26
:confused: :confused: what do i use this for?:confused: :confused:
im running 2.80 on my psp
nd how do i check if i have the ta-something (bad motherboard) without voiding my warenty?

RPGTony
September 3rd, 2006, 20:07
This works great on my 2.8 PSP! I can't wait for a 2.8 downgrader!

jak66
September 3rd, 2006, 20:19
bassman: no eloader yet, this is just a hello world, eloader is being made though

g3nisis: this is just a POC (proof of concept) that unsigned code can be run on all firmwares that can show tiff images, by coding the image, to check to see if you psp is a ta-082 open the disk tray and look in the top-right corner for some writing, if there is some there you have ta-082, if not you dont (although that wont matter unless kernal mode is unlocked on 2.8 and a downgrader made)

theninfort
September 3rd, 2006, 23:23
Sony will learn the hard way. Homebrew is here to stay. =D

g3nesis
September 4th, 2006, 09:08
bassman: no eloader yet, this is just a hello world, eloader is being made though

g3nisis: this is just a POC (proof of concept) that unsigned code can be run on all firmwares that can show tiff images, by coding the image, to check to see if you psp is a ta-082 open the disk tray and look in the top-right corner for some writing, if there is some there you have ta-082, if not you dont (although that wont matter unless kernal mode is unlocked on 2.8 and a downgrader made)

Thaks for clearing that up:)
much appreciated:D

FrierTuck
September 4th, 2006, 17:15
while the downgrader is out for 2.7, it murdered my psp so dont get to excited

jshum9999
September 4th, 2006, 20:28
Hey everyone,
I too am new to this whole psp homebrew scene. I've been doing homebrew on the DS, but it's totally different and a lot easier.

Anyway, this is my question. I have a TA-082 mobo with 2.6 running. I know it was stated before that I would be able to run in kernel mode from 2.0-2.7 using this exploit.

Right now I've been using GTA eloader to do some homebrew, but I want to play LocoRoco.
Is it worth upgrading to the 2.7 since I would theoretically be able to access kernel mode once a loader is made?

Also a quick question about Devhook. If someone has devhook on the psp (i know i can't) can they play the newer released games or do they have to dump them and patch them or do something else really complex? This still confuses me.

Thanks for the help
Justin

conb123
September 5th, 2006, 16:34
How do you make these ive tryed saving an image as a .tif file and simply adding it to my photo section but i just get a corrupted data msg is there some sorta coding you need to add :confused: :confused:

caleb_g_unit7
September 7th, 2006, 00:18
the only thing that is on my screen is that waving thing. no buttons will respond and I can't get this thing off of my screen. What do i do. ?

EUAN KEMP IS GAY!!!

propmok
September 7th, 2006, 00:50
thats all it does just hold the power up till it turns off. its just to show you that theyve figure it out.

DemoShadow
September 7th, 2006, 02:24
Dude ive already modded the hello world, it took like 1 min. Just hex-edit the words easy as pie.

taggergunster
September 8th, 2006, 01:40
i just pray to god we get a 2.8 downgrader

ziphor
September 8th, 2006, 05:39
hmmm, sorry - i'm confused (and new)

i'm a 2.71, and downloaded the file stack from:
http://www.psp-hacks.com/file/753

I'm told it has all the files i need..?

it's instructions are:

1. Copy the files inside MS_ROOT to the root of your memory stick.
2. Wait someone with 1.50 to pass you a folder called DOWNDATER and copy it to the root of your memstick.
3. It is recomended that you have the psp at more than 50% batteery and connected to AC
4. Go to the xmb photo viewer.
At this point will one of the following things:
* You'll see a full red screen. This indicates that the downdater is doing its job. Wait for it to finish. When it finish it will crash on purpose. Restart your psp manually and you'll probably have a 1.50 if nothing went wrong.
* You don't see the red screen. This indicates that the downdater code has not started to execute. (even if the memstick blinks(or no), it doesn't matter! if the screen is not red, you can safely restart the psp at this point).

This happen because of inestability in the tiff.

Don't worry, just restart the psp and keep trying until you reach the red screen of downdate. The downdater code is NEVER executed partially. It's either executed totally or nothing.

It depends of "luck" but usually the downdater will start to execute in a average of 1/10 times. Things that may increase the probabilities:

- A fresh formatted memory stick.
- A 32 MB memory stick (and fresh formatted)

but wth does "Wait someone with 1.50 to pass you a folder called DOWNDATER and copy it to the root of your memstick." it isnt a sentance... im such a noob... but seriously, can anyone please explain this to me?

Nafogel
September 8th, 2006, 05:43
it means you have to have someone with a 1.5 psp extract certain files for you to use with your downgrader, at least thats what I think it means

CloakedSin
September 9th, 2006, 05:16
it means you have to have someone with a 1.5 psp extract certain files for you to use with your downgrader, at least thats what I think it means
Has anyone done this already or somethin? :-s If not, maybe they should put it up on filefront.com :confused:

FrierTuck
September 10th, 2006, 05:23
dont do it, just wait till we have a sure fire way with very low brick rate, im trying to save people

CloakedSin
September 10th, 2006, 06:20
Mmmk

afronot
September 16th, 2006, 10:16
i cant seem to download the *.tiff hellow world can someone please email it to me ([email protected])

thanXXX

leinad9
September 16th, 2006, 17:49
:confused: ;) :p :mad: :D :o :rolleyes: :eek: :cool: :) :(

thenoxus1
September 17th, 2006, 00:55
I managed to succesfully downgrade my 2.71 into 1.5, without a brick...altho it took a while for the whole process...but at least now i have homebrew!

gamerfreak
September 17th, 2006, 08:16
how do u get this new thing for the psp...........is it a type of firmware

gamerfreak
September 17th, 2006, 17:28
how can i get that new HELLO WORLD thing.................

dejkirkby
September 17th, 2006, 17:33
It's not firmware. It's just proof that the firmware has been hacked.

iaintgotabrain
September 18th, 2006, 21:15
i got a psp a week ago think it had 1.81 or something on it and without checkin the net first upgraded to 2.81 can anyone help me get a downgrader or shall i just claim a silly fault on warrenty to get a new one

moshn
September 21st, 2006, 04:11
sorry but i'm slow at these thing.. how does it work

techgt
September 21st, 2006, 06:21
go into your system information on the psp and tell us what version it is, u see (1.5/2.0/2.01/2.5/2.6/2.7/2.8/2.81)

red_sox32
September 24th, 2006, 21:44
anyone reckon there will be a downgrader on the way soo because of this exploit like the mph downgrader?

burn9003
September 27th, 2006, 02:52
So, um...... how do u run homebrew games with it?:confused:

Video_freak
September 27th, 2006, 03:03
So, um...... how do u run homebrew games with it?:confused:
This doesn't run homebrew, it's just a proof of concept program...
You'll need the new eLoader for running homebrew on 2.71 and lower. ;)

burn9003
September 27th, 2006, 03:04
u mean the one that requires gta?

Video_freak
September 27th, 2006, 03:04
No, there is a new one that runs of the PHOTO menu- no GTA required.

burn9003
September 27th, 2006, 03:06
ok, so um..... there is one that uses the photo thing to run it besides this one?

Video_freak
September 27th, 2006, 03:06
ok, so um..... there is one that uses the photo thing to run it besides this one?
Yes. Just wait a second for me to find it...
This will actually let you run homebrew through the GAME menu... http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36738&highlight=eloader

burn9003
September 27th, 2006, 03:07
i am so confuzzed

burn9003
September 27th, 2006, 03:07
k

burn9003
September 27th, 2006, 03:19
so this duznt work with 2.8?

Video_freak
September 27th, 2006, 03:30
so this duznt work with 2.8?