PDA

View Full Version : Noob about to take the plunge...

Mastastealth
August 29th, 2006, 15:06
All right, I've been doing a lot of research on DS homebrew, and I've found a lot of helpful guides and such around, but I'd like to run this down here, to get that little extra confidence before I spend all this money on the stuff. :D

I have a DS Lite. I am interested in running emulators (FrodoDS and SNES mainly), homebrew games (like Explosive Gas), DSLinux, and video would be good too. GBA is not incredibly important.

From what I've read...
I am not gonna be getting one the Flashcarts with built-in memory. I want to get one that has the removable storage (SD, CF, etc.)

Now, as much as I'd like to get a cart that fits perfectly into my DS Lite, the only one that seems to do that is the Supercard Lite correct? Problem is, it uses MicroSD, and the largest card is only 1GB (unlike the CF and SD that can get up to 4, although I don't mind using a 2GB miniSD. Are there 2GB microSD?)

So it seems that my smallest possiblity is using the Supercard miniSD. Will I be limited in anyway? Why doesn't this support FAT32 and will that affect something?

How bad is the GBAMP as it seems very cheap, and all I would need is the storage. I assume I still need a passcard to play homebrew DS games off of it though right?

Then I guess the only other thing I need is a Passcard 3, which seems to be a good overall and compatible key.

So do I have my facts straight? Is there anything I may be missing/misunderstading? Thanks for any help, I look forward to getting into the homebrew stuff! :)

azzazus
August 29th, 2006, 16:03
if you want a 2gb microsd, check here: http://www.mobymemory.com/SanDisk_Transflash_Memory_Cards.asp?PARTNER=GA_TFL ASH&gclid=CJjdvd-ThYcCFQVXQgodDgUScg.

from what i know, the GBAMP is not very compatible with roms; if you want compatibility, you should pursue a supercard (sd/cf/microsd) or one of the cards that belong to the m3 brand.

my recommended combination is: supercard lite + Super Key/Datel Max Media Launcher

andysjones
August 29th, 2006, 16:17
I would recommend the same. Rawr. And just get 2x 1gb?

ACID
August 29th, 2006, 16:35
hey i recomend the same but just go to ebay. 2gb micro sd are cheap take a look.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2GB-TransFlash-micro-SD-2G-2-G-GB-Trans-T-Flash-microSD_W0QQitemZ150027035167QQihZ005QQcategoryZ11 8260QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

lexluthor
August 29th, 2006, 18:39
You seem to have done alot of research (Which is alot more than most people can manage. So I like you haha)

Anyway yes you have your facts right! And your plan seems good (Go with the Supercard, its a good safe option)

IMO a 1 gig card is fine (Unless you want loads of movies) Most roms hardly take up any space at all. My Super Mario World Rom is only 1.39 MB. And NES roms are litrally tiny!

I would stick with the 1 gig and then swap the movies you want to watch as your card fills up (Only have things on the card you want) But its up to you.

The FAT32 things is fine. When you get your SD card put it into your PC and right click on the card. Press format and then change it from FAT32 to FAT. And your ready to go.

chemical
August 29th, 2006, 18:45
You can get 2GB for about £60, and 1GB for like £30, so obviously it depends on how much you want 2GB, as was said above, games/apps take up no space, but media does so it all depends on how much you want, personally I am going with 2GB.

Also its worth noting that the M3 Lite is now available, It is the same size as supercard lite, hasnt been alot of reviews on it yet as its only out for order, i dont think its actually been received, but M3 have a great track record and I would imagine it will be better then supercard lite.

The Hombrew Hunter
August 29th, 2006, 20:30
Wait for the M3 lite. The m3 has excellent GBA and DS compatibility.

Passcard 3 ftw.

ACID
August 29th, 2006, 20:35
hey homebrew you do know that out of all the keys the super key is the best right and compatible with all other cards right.

Mastastealth
August 30th, 2006, 14:31
Ok, so this M3 Lite (http://www.divineo.cn/cgi-bin/div-cn/ds-m3lmsd.html) would be the most cosmetically reasonable and compatible adaptor to buy? It also seems quite expensive. And no one really knows when it comes out correct? Is there something I can do with this that I can't do with a Supercard?

Also, I heard Passme 3 is very compatible and even does sleeping. Does the Superkey do the same? Is there really much of a difference?

And MicroSD (atleast those 2GB I'm looking at on eBay) seem also to be overpriced. Around $80+ while a 2GB MiniSD will cost $45...

So as you can see, I'm really leaning on this Supercard thing as it seems a more affordable, and almost equally compatible solution to the M3...

chemical
August 30th, 2006, 15:20
M3 is more compatable, but not massivly, it has better GBA support and THH said it has better homebrew support, but i cant comment on that, M3 seems to be better imo, and im getting a M3 Lite, but I doubt the difference is huge.

And almost everyone has Passcard 3 and i havent seen anyone say they have problems with it.

Mastastealth
August 31st, 2006, 18:21
Ok, after looking at my options (and the prices) I've decided that getting an M3 (the older MiniSD version) and Passcard 3 bundle would be my best bet. (a 2GB Mini is the same as a 1GB Micro, and the M3 Lite costs as much as this MiniSD it seems, so pretty much its Lite Cart+1GB or Chunkier Cart+2GB) Now, that bundle (http://www.divineo.cn/cgi-bin/div-cn/ds-m3msd2.html) I only found at the Divineo.cn. I live in the US, but I know places like Lik-sang ship globally, so assume Divineo would do the same. Can anyone vouch for there services? Good shipping and such? It'll be a chore convincing the parents to pay online to this site unless they have a good reputation...

demondude777
August 31st, 2006, 23:25
sounds liek a good way to go...the m3 doesn't stick out that far.....so don't worry.