PDA

View Full Version : PS3 GPU Downgraded?

JesusXP
August 29th, 2006, 16:46
Apparently someone over at The Inquirer got word that Nvidia & Sony have downgraded the PS3's GPU from 550MHz to 500MHz. Whether this is true or not, I guess will yet to be seen. Expect Sony to comment on this rumor quickly as it will most surely spread like wildfire through the internet.

C'mon? Could they really have downgraded the specs again this late in the game? On their way for 2 million units shipped by the year end? Launch 2 months away and yet to produce a single working unit, let alone cement the specs of the machine? This is just bad news. If you remember when PS2 launched, alot of systems had to be returned as defective units.. this could only spell more disaster..

What do you guys make of it?

Story here.. (http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=33995)

More forum buzz from reliable sources here... (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116735)

...and here (http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33128)

Kramer
August 29th, 2006, 16:51
lol another reason to get a wii

JesusXP
August 29th, 2006, 17:00
I can't wait to get a Wii :)

stotheamuel
August 29th, 2006, 22:48
Its the INQUIRER.... never heard of it really

don't believe it at all
EDIT:
elrazur... i noticed an anti sony motif' when viewing the site too

ElRazur
August 29th, 2006, 22:56
No guys, another reason to buy a ps3. a down grade from 550 to 500 dont mean anything and there wont be any much difference noticed by the gamer, if anything it would be an advantage actually - more stability.

Look at the psp, it was downgraded or the processor speed was capped so as to ensure longer batery life.
I personally dont see this an issue. Like i said more like a reson to buy a ps3

Also dont forget, the guy that wrote that article is known to write anti-sony article so i would take that serious.

Malksta
August 29th, 2006, 23:25
That wouldn't be very nice

tallica
August 29th, 2006, 23:30
Argh why do people keep complaining about its price!? It just makes the ps3 sh*it. Iv been saving for one for ages wtf cant you do the same!?

JD/
August 29th, 2006, 23:31
well if theyre gnna bring the gpu down they better bring the price down too or a lot of people are not gonna be happy.

Hawky05
August 30th, 2006, 00:21
No guys, another reason to buy a ps3. a down grade from 550 to 500 dont mean anything and there wont be any much difference noticed by the gamer, if anything it would be an advantage actually - more stability.

Look at the psp, it was downgraded or the processor speed was capped so as to ensure longer batery life.
I personally dont see this an issue. Like i said more like a reson to buy a ps3

Also dont forget, the guy that wrote that article is known to write anti-sony article so i would take that serious.

Read that.. makes pure sense in my eyes.. tbh I don't give a damn about this GPU crap...

I mean as ElRazur said.. more stability.

Runefox
August 30th, 2006, 02:05
50MHz differential? Come on, even if it were true, that's peanuts. 50MHz makes about as much difference in an efficient CPU/GPU as a gunshot does to a waterfall.

Case in point: The new Intel Core 2 Duo CPU's run stock at an entry level of about 1.8GHz, but is supposed to be just as fast as the fastest current Pentium 4 Dual Core (3.6GHz). That's nearly 2GHz slower, and yet it matches it and takes up less energy doing it. The Core 2 Duo at 2.4GHz (with a larger (4MB) cache) arguably outperforms every other CPU on the market except for the higher versions of its own family.

The reason behind the move to 500MHz (if it IS true) would most likely be to keep it in sync with the rest of the components in the PS3, and to reduce heat, which is very much a good thing. There is no way it's being reduced for cost reasons, again, if it's being reduced.

donne
August 30th, 2006, 08:37
Agree with tallica.. I'm not gonna be intimidated by its price. Start saving your money.. You 1.5 PSP users, you play free emulators so you can save :D

Seriously, an Ipaq PDA would cost you more than US$500 without Wifi connection. You'll gonna get state of the art machines with blu-ray capability and -I don't know its PC equivalent- serious graphic card.. C'mon people.. Why hate Sony so much on this ?

I don't think it's a big drop in the graphic department.. I think in a graphic card, mhz is not the key of everything. You must also consider it's pipeline, ram, etc..

markymark1
August 30th, 2006, 13:36
Tbh honest i think blu ray is ahead of its time, like the dreamcast and sega. It would/will be good in the future but at the min the avg joe is happy watching a pretty damn good picture on a normal dvd disc.
The next step after that is going to be HD DVD i think because it is cheaper and if the differences are very small then im sorry to say sony is going to lose out for the time being.

Accordion
August 30th, 2006, 14:39
thats a very bad comparison… the dreamcast hardware was out of date, it was the ideas they used that were ahead of its time(internet, game downloads,etc)

in a way the xbox360 is the next dreamcast. old hardware, with the same type of ideas, and a relatively low dev support…