PDA

View Full Version : Sony banning ps3 sales on ebay?

muffinman
August 29th, 2006, 23:24
I was in my local game shop today a little place, which I enjoy visiting for the general banter etc and when discussing with the man behind the till about ps3 pre-orders (which he told me they should be taking from next wednesday or thursday and the major companies should be following suit) he told how the there was discussion of how th sale of ps3's on sites such as ebay would be stopped, stateing however he would have further knowledge and confirmation come wednesday.
Now I have also been told this be the manager of my local Game and don't know the amount of truth behind it. I mearly want to buy and sell some ps3's to cover the cost of my own, but if selling them is banned i would be stuck with them.
all i wish to know is if anybody else has heard anything like this or seen anything posted about this. If you have could you post the source of the article here.

anyways
thanks
muffin

yaustar
August 30th, 2006, 00:23
So you are one of the people that buys several at launch and sells the extra at a higher price to get profit? I really do hope you do get stuck with PS3s that you can't sell.

Video_freak
August 30th, 2006, 00:26
You can always manage to sell extra PS3's at launch. :)
I think he was just asking though.

JD/
August 30th, 2006, 00:30
even if ebay dont allow you to sell em there are other trusted bidding sites just search google and look for sponsered ones or something.

cloud_952
August 30th, 2006, 00:40
Also, I can't recall any instance of eBay refusing to allow people to sell a product because a large company "didn't like it". That goes rather against eBay's history, tradition, and even policy. There's nothing illegal about people reselling consoles and there's nothing violating eBay's terms of service. I can't see them making one exception because Sony didn't want it to happen.

Personally, I disagree with the practice of people buying up more than one console just to turn a profit. But that doesn't mean that there are legal grounds for Sony to stop it. You can always sell it to a friend on in a local ad in town. Stopping eBay won't stop the process.

o_O At that, I really don't even think Sony is going to do anything.

Hawky05
August 30th, 2006, 00:53
So you are one of the people that buys several at launch and sells the extra at a higher price to get profit? I really do hope you do get stuck with PS3s that you can't sell.

Why.. it's always good to make money. :cool:

hell i'd do it if I had the money.

SSaxdude
August 30th, 2006, 02:24
I wonder how Sony would ever get people to stop selling PS3 on ebay.

DPyro
August 30th, 2006, 02:39
Become a reseller and sell them for however much you think people are willing to spend. ;)

stotheamuel
August 30th, 2006, 03:01
its just like how its illegal, where I am to sell tickets for profit (scalping)

so i dont know... i doubt they could inforce it... same principal

Kaiser
August 30th, 2006, 03:25
I don't think ebay should ban the sales of PS3's. But on the other hand I've always disliked the practice of buying a console and selling it again to make a profit (It just seems rather "Qj-ish" ;)) So I can't really pick a side.

stotheamuel
August 30th, 2006, 03:28
hmm if sony were to pay ebay.. it's possible

Kramer
August 30th, 2006, 03:31
Didnt lik sang or one of them sites get sued for selling psp's.

mavsman4457
August 30th, 2006, 03:37
Kramer going with the new avatar and sig. I like it. Back on topic, I don't like when people resell next consoles on ebay. It leaves room for others to sell PS3 boxes and make $100's of dollars as was done with xbox360.

Kramer
August 30th, 2006, 03:38
Yeah im getting amped for the wii launch

pibs
August 30th, 2006, 03:51
Mavsman makes a great point. I know a guy who got ripped off on ebay for just the box of the 360.

Kaiser
August 30th, 2006, 04:04
Mavsman makes a great point. I know a guy who got ripped off on ebay for just the box of the 360.

But the possibility of getting ripped off is not limited to just gaming consoles.

Its just a risk you take on auction sites. Ebay also has policies and methods of protecting the bidders and punishing those who attempt to exploit them. Now that I think of it its perfectly logical to ban PS3 sales with the launch nearly upon us. Ebay really hated the type of shit that took place with the 360 launch last year. Cost them a lot of money. I'm sure in time the ban will be lifted.

stotheamuel
August 30th, 2006, 04:19
The sad thing is... they listed details of the console... and then put this is just the box...

people rush to bid

iniquitous_beast
August 30th, 2006, 04:57
Anyone who falls for such a trick (buying the box) is a moron. Those scammers often have suspicious wording all over their ebay posting.

More on-topic: I can't see ebay agreeing to restrict ps3 sales. After all, when would they officially begin allowing them? Eventually there comes a point when the market is saturated with a product and people become genuinely interested in selling their ps3's (or they become disillusioned one day after launch and want to sell their ps3 to pay for another console). Sony could not restrict sales on ebay for the console's entire life cycle.

The sermon: ebay is an online auction site. The word "auction" implies that people may freely compete for the right to purchase an item. The man who values an item the most will be the man who buys it. Besides, after the xbox360 pre-order debacle; the only way anyone can be guaranteed a console during launch month is by paying obscene amounts for one on an auction website.

Finally, ebay makes its money by taking a small cut from all final selling costs. I don't see sony being willing to pay ebay the millions of dollars that would be necessary to cover what ebay would surely miss out on by not allowing such obscenely inflated sales to take place. Sony is already going to lose money for every ps3 they produce. Defending a few suckers from their own impatience and illiteracy will not be worth the additional loss.

Video_freak
August 30th, 2006, 04:59
Yeah im getting amped for the wii launch
Woot!!!! :D
I hope they don't ban Wii sales on eBay... :(

stotheamuel
August 30th, 2006, 05:05
Nintendo fans would be the ones to buy the boxes......hahaa kidding i love nintendo too (for reals im not all sony inside... maybe 95%)

Video_freak
August 30th, 2006, 05:20
LMAO stotheamuel! I thought you were 300% $ony! :eek:

ACID
August 30th, 2006, 05:25
You are not alowed to sell something you dont own on ebay. Unless you are listed as a store witch in that case its ok. Why because you are paying and claming taxes.

AtariFreek
August 30th, 2006, 05:57
Really, $ony Is Still getting Their Profit, So, It Wouldn't make Sense For Them not to Allow Re-Sale...

stotheamuel
August 30th, 2006, 06:06
maybe sony isnt thinking about just money... they dont want customers ripped off

Video_freak
August 30th, 2006, 06:08
Sure.... :rolleyes:

muffinman
August 30th, 2006, 10:23
You are not alowed to sell something you dont own on ebay. Unless you are listed as a store witch in that case its ok. Why because you are paying and claming taxes.

from that then i take it the guy could have ment that you can't sell your pre-order on ebay, which would make more sense than not selling the actual console.

anyways to people who don't like me because im doing this, i don't like it any more than you guys do however due to the fact im 15 i have limited resources and therefore wish to maximise them so tis is just a way for me not to lose money when i purchase a ps3 for myself.

well it looks like it most likely ment as i said in this post. You can't sell your pre-order, but you can sell the console.

well ill get back to counting those pennys now.

muffinman
August 30th, 2006, 10:25
well stotheamuel if sony just wanted money they would put all the release consoles for the major sectors on ebay and then state "sold out over the world" because they would have them all. They would make a killing.

yaustar
August 30th, 2006, 13:36
anyways to people who don't like me because im doing this, i don't like it any more than you guys do however due to the fact im 15 i have limited resources and therefore wish to maximise them so tis is just a way for me not to lose money when i purchase a ps3 for myself.
The "woe is me attitude". It still doesn't make it right. Can't afford it? Don't buy it. Its asses like you that make it harder for gamers to buy the consoles on launch for the price it was meant for.

I really hope you don't even get a chance to get one at all or get stuck with a dozen that you can't sell.

muffinman
August 31st, 2006, 21:50
hehe i got called an ass, i always thought i was a human not a donkey.

anyways i couldnt afford 12. 3 is stretching it so ill probs end up with 2

stotheamuel
August 31st, 2006, 22:42
if you have 1200-1800 dollars to risk at age 15... you need to make profit.. what the hell do you do?lol

JD/
August 31st, 2006, 23:15
lol ebay is easy to trick i know 13 year olds that have ebay accounts and buy and sell stuff even my bro did when he was like 15 :)

muffinman
September 1st, 2006, 01:17
actually stotheamuel im english so i only currently have £600 (3 pre-orders + £150 spare) by my predictions i should have around 1350-1400 by ps3 launch and i may even get a real job aswell (all i do now is work for my dads photography company as a technical director :p) so could be looking at 1500 or so.

anyways money is money and i need it :) but i dont mind working for it unlike alot of lazy ass 15 year olds

Magician45
September 1st, 2006, 02:21
If people get jipped to buying a empty box then its their fault..maybe they should read the whole description before going" OMGAZ A XBOX 360 100 bucks!!" i mean c mon if he really did get jipped and the person didnt meantion that it was an empty box in the description then ebay takes care of that.. if not then bad apples for the dumb ass who buys newly launch consoles over ebay. After all if you wait a while they will be in restock..not like they only make 1000 and then stop producing them. Buying and reselling is something as a type of street smart.. i mean if you had an extra 4k laying around hey why not. People that dont like it is because they dont got the dough for it so they whine about it but hey its life. Companys do it every day..they buy computers of companys cheap and sell them pricy to you through stores such as best buy or circuit city. Its life

And also i mean since when do companys care about what happens to the gamers. As long as they get the systems bought then what the hell does it matter if little timmy or big fat pauly get ripped over ebay.