PDA

View Full Version : Viruses for PSP

mickmos
August 30th, 2006, 07:41
Is it possible to get a virus on for psp by looking at some websites or putting some applications or games that have viruses on them?

DefaultGen
August 30th, 2006, 07:48
Its possible to brick your PSP via homebrew. Only download from trusted sites.

splodger15
August 30th, 2006, 09:12
Its possible to brick your PSP via homebrew. Only download from trusted sites.

you cannot brick your psp via homebrew the only way you can brick it is if your flash something to it like a different gameboot

dejkirkby
August 30th, 2006, 10:46
Norton actually recognises overflow.tiff (MPH Downgrader) as a trojan PSPBricker.

JD/
August 30th, 2006, 11:52
thats because sony x team relesed a fake one which bricks your psp lol only download from trusted sites and the overflow.tiff file should be 16.6kb.

andrew24
August 30th, 2006, 22:22
yea
________
Toyota Hybrid X specifications (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Toyota_Hybrid_X)

M!ckeY
August 31st, 2006, 04:22
actually, even the "non-fake" one was recognized as a virus by Norton

razorak
August 31st, 2006, 04:24
if u're not sure if it's the real thing try finding it here =)

AtariFreek
August 31st, 2006, 04:26
@splodger, You Actually Can if the File Contains trojan.pspbricker

scottyboynow
August 31st, 2006, 14:59
Thats The Only One I Would recommend Downloading The One From The Real Site If you Download Anything

bullhead
August 31st, 2006, 15:31
I am interested in running a brick on my firmware 1.5. (devhook obviously) I would like to see what happens.

I wonder is it possible to emulate a brick/recovery through devhook?

Accordion
August 31st, 2006, 18:29
there is a video of it somewhere. it would save you the (risky) trouble…

NoQuarter
August 31st, 2006, 18:49
Risky,but interesting line of thought.

bullhead
August 31st, 2006, 19:00
Do you think that even with emulated firmware 1.5, my psp is at risk?

What im trying to do is see how far I can push editing my firmware without bricking and find out what causes the brick occurring.

Earlier for example, I discovered that replacing the monthly bmp images with others which had a lot of colour causes a corruption in the settings icons(makes them go white)

Also a dodgy gameboot can brick.

Im just curious to see what happens after I run a trojan brick by looking at the devhook flash1/flash0 files to see what has changed.

What it comes down to is this... im very.....very bored.

Accordion
August 31st, 2006, 19:10
i dont think anthting special changes…a bricker just deletes or corrupts some flash files

i think the IPL checks everything when you boot up, if something is wrong then the psp will not boot
im guessing that if you delete a file that is needed early in the chain of events of startup then the psp will be worse off.
if you delete the IPL then it cant get much worse

bullhead
August 31st, 2006, 19:17
So does anyone know if it is possible to emulate the trojan brick that was released ages ago or any other program that does it. Im just trying to figure out how easy it can be to brick a psp, and if its as difficult as im finding it, then some people must be very unlucky.

Tinnus
August 31st, 2006, 20:56
you cannot brick your psp via homebrew the only way you can brick it is if your flash something to it like a different gameboot
The only way to brick your PSP is writing to the flash, and any software could do that.

Accordion
August 31st, 2006, 22:12
hmm…
would it be possible for an image viewed through the psp web browser to run a bricking code…

Tinnus
August 31st, 2006, 22:33
If there is a security hole in the image code of the browser, yes :rolleyes:

JD/
September 1st, 2006, 15:31
this is starting to sound scaary lol people might try brick PSP's on the net good ill only be using the net on my psp through devhook no bricks for me :P oh and that trojan bricker thing deletes the file that you need to restart your psp theres a nice video of it on you tube :) does anyone know the size of the overflow.tiff that bricks your psp or the h.bin?

splodger15
September 1st, 2006, 15:42
@splodger, You Actually Can if the File Contains trojan.pspbricker

yes but norton would pick it up on the computer first then delete it

AtariFreek
September 1st, 2006, 21:46
Yes It Would Lol, But Not Every One Has Norton. When I Had Mcaffee it Didn't Pick It Up and I Ended Up Bricking My 2.01.

JD/
September 1st, 2006, 22:06
yes but norton would pick it up on the computer first then delete it
norton deletes the real one too i suggest you just download a confirmed to be working one and put it on removable media i have mine on my 32mb ms so i dont have to search for it every time i downgrade.

Accordion
September 1st, 2006, 22:23
or just use PSPSetX it is much simpler

wolfpack
September 3rd, 2006, 03:15
soon people will be bricking their psp's just for shits and giggles!!