PDA

View Full Version : Compress Videos in PSX backups?

BrooksyX
August 30th, 2006, 08:18
In the next few days there is supposed to be a playstaton1 emu released for the psp (as most of you know). This is great news but as I start to dust off my collection of playstation games to backup for use with the emu I realize that size is obviously going to a problem considering I only have a 1 gb ms.

Then it hit me, I remember hearing before that there is a way to actually compress the video files in the games (specifically the final fantasy games) to a smaller size. This wouldnt effect the quality of the film because the resolution on the psp screen is much smaller anyways. I heard that the end result can leave you with backups half the size of the original if you do compress the movies.

But as I search for where I found this tutorial before I have no luck. So does anybody know how to do this or know of a place that does have a tutorial?

ENG
August 30th, 2006, 12:31
PS1 emulator ?
Why haven't i heard about this, who is supposedly releasing it ?

BL4Z3D247
August 30th, 2006, 12:35
this french team is working on one, wow u really haven't heard about it...actually there are two being worked on, PSPX is the one that's hopefully being release in 2 days(Sept. 1)...not sure about the other one, but the PSPX one is real as PSmonky and $n!pr know the dude(s) making it

ENG
August 30th, 2006, 13:14
Wow, i can't believe i missed out on such important news, thanks for informing me about it.

Kramer
August 30th, 2006, 13:28
Hey Bigmace this emu is suppose to support CSO and dax compression.

BrooksyX
August 30th, 2006, 17:15
Yeah I know that it is supposed to support compression but videos dont compress well, so If I could encode the videos to a smaller resolution and quality it would greatly reduce the size of the game, especially if the backups are compressed.

kersplatty
August 30th, 2006, 17:25
how do i actually make a ps1 iso(.iso)? because i use alcohol 120% and make it a .ccd file to play on a ps1 emu but if this emu will require .iso how can u go about it?

BrooksyX
August 30th, 2006, 17:29
Just use a program like nero and select copy disc but instead of burning it to a cd save it as on you pc.

Anywayes i think I just found a program that completely rips out all the movies and audio files of you backups. I could post a link if you guys want?

kersplatty
August 30th, 2006, 17:33
yea sure, what happens to the iso if u cso it or dax it? cos that support will be in the ps1 emu

Tinnus
August 30th, 2006, 20:22
1) The PSP resolution is bigger than the resolution the PS1 videos ran.

2) There is no way to reduce the video size/quality in a PS1 game (and keep it working at least :p)

3) There is a program called PocketISO, developed by the FPSEce team that rips music/movies from PS1 ISO images but it then AUTOMATICALLY converts them to .Z or .ZNX format which is not reported to be supported by this emulator.

(the psx4all series support them though :D too bad there's not going to be a psx4psp. And don't ask about it)

4) *** HOLD YOUR EXCITEMENT ***. This release will VERY likely be crappy enough not to be worth you ripping tons of games. Unless you want to test it for the sake of testing. Compatibility should also be very low.

5) Don't count on a release September 1st. Then they don't release anything and you will start to say "theyre a bunch of idiots cause i dont hava mi reliase the dya dey told meh".

6) If the emulator will read ISO it will probably read IMG too. If it doesn't support the .img extension just rename it to .iso (the format is the same).

Kaiser
August 30th, 2006, 20:34
Remember that once that this is ISO talk and once the emu hits we're going to have to control the type of talk that go's on.

Meaning

-No discussion on how to rip games.
-No discussion on how to modifiy ISO files. Modifiying commercial ISO's is an illegal act on its own.
-and of course no discussion on where to find ISO's elsewhere.

Just a warning to everyone since it shouldn't be to much longer until the first PSone emu hits.