PDA

View Full Version : Help with DS Homebrew

Booopop
August 30th, 2006, 16:33
Just got a DS Lite, with two games, and I am interested in getting it running homebrew and backups etc.

As I have a 1.5 PSP and I've been using that for homebrew I know how such things can make consoles have more uses

I know that I need a "Passkey", I think, to go in the DS slot to tell the DS to look for executables in the GBA Slot, and a "Supercard" to plug into the GBA slot to put memory in. I'm pretty sure i want NDS Backups to come before GBA backups with compatibility.

Firstly, how will I choose between what hombrew/backups I want to run once I've got the CF loaded with homebrew and backups.

Secondly, what is the best combination of what I need to get for what I want?

Thanks, Booopop

Solitude
August 30th, 2006, 17:42
If you can wait, wait for Slot 1 solutions to mature. If you plan to buy something right now with NDS and GBA compability, try reading reviews of Supercard and M3 products.

Booopop
August 30th, 2006, 18:25
If you can wait, wait for Slot 1 solutions to mature. If you plan to buy something right now with NDS and GBA compability, try reading reviews of Supercard and M3 products.

Being a total novice with DS goings on, I suppose slot 1 means only one slot needs to have something in it, correct?

Solitude
August 30th, 2006, 18:33
Slot 1 is the small slot (upper one) for DS games. Slot 2 is the bigger slot (lower one) for GBA games.
Current solutions use Slot 2 to load programs and possible Slot 1 is occupied by a card called nopass which enables the cart. in slot 2.
It is "hoped" that Slot 1 solutions will enable clean ROM execution (no patching req.), will lower power comsumption and enable slot 2 extansions (vibration cart., memory cart.) to be used.
Though let me warn you, they still req. some time.