PDA

View Full Version : Re: Devhook 0.46 (writing to flash memory)

bullhead
September 1st, 2006, 01:21
Wow! Im asking for alot of help these days it seems...

This is in relation to devhook 0.46 writing to flash.

Where in the psp consoles flash memory does this version of devhook write to, whenever i go to the flash rom menu?

And why does it speed up the firmware emulation of devhook?

Thanks in advance, bullhead

Video_freak
September 1st, 2006, 02:04
The flash ROM memory is where your firmware is kept. If devhook writes to it, it's speeds it up because it's faster than your memory stick. There are chances of bricking, however.

ninja9393
September 1st, 2006, 02:34
The flash ROM memory is where your firmware is kept. If devhook writes to it, it's speeds it up because it's faster than your memory stick. There are chances of bricking, however.

i didnt know devhook could brick
Man Video_Freak u know everything, That is probobly why u r the dcemu legend:D

M!ckeY
September 1st, 2006, 03:26
and that's why he's also my hero :)

bullhead
September 1st, 2006, 10:48
Im guessing the chances of bricking are to do with the maximum capacity of the Flash memory. There is enough space for the sony firmware, but if you try to put extra things in there like devhook files you use up the amount of free space available. However this should not be a problem as only a few of the devhook settings are implemented so not much space is used.

If what im saying is true, then the sony PSone emulator will possibly be downloadable and the new firmware will just be allowed to run it through the XMB.

Im just speculating to myself here...

razorak
September 1st, 2006, 10:51
interesting thought...how much space does the flash have anyway?

donne
September 1st, 2006, 11:02
I don't want a thing flashing in front of me.. Since I now have devhook.. What option(s) I should not touch so I am save..?

bullhead
September 1st, 2006, 11:03
1.5 firmware takes up 13.9Mb of the psp's internal memory.
2.71 takes up 19.2Mb

Thats as much as I know.

M!ckeY
September 1st, 2006, 11:45
i beleive the nand flash is 32mb, not sure though

steve-b
September 1st, 2006, 11:46
I believe it has 32 megs in total.

steve-b
September 1st, 2006, 11:46
great minds eh

M!ckeY
September 1st, 2006, 11:47
yup, great minds :)

bullhead
September 1st, 2006, 12:34
I believe it has 32 megs in total.

They say that if you believe in something so strongly and so blindly, that it can come true, so it you truly believe it has 32 mb, then maybe that is so.

razorak
September 1st, 2006, 12:44
i believe that my PSP is firmware version 1.5...
errr...maybe my case is an exception

donne
September 1st, 2006, 12:59
C'mon guys.. What part of that Devhook I should not ever touch to keep me save from flashing accidentaly ??

bullhead
September 1st, 2006, 13:01
The part in the menu that says, "Flash rom"

M!ckeY
September 1st, 2006, 13:02
don't select the Flash Rom option, and in the Firmware option, don't select 1.50(flash) :)
-Edit- bullhead beat me to it

donne
September 1st, 2006, 13:05
Oh thanks !
...Hope I've not yet pressed it.. Or, is there any difference (in apperance) if somehow mine flashed ?

M!ckeY
September 1st, 2006, 13:08
i doubt there would be any difference :)

ps. i'm off to bed it's 4 am already

bullhead
September 1st, 2006, 13:08
No you get a big screen come up where you have to hold o for 5 seconds.

Anger
September 1st, 2006, 13:30
ok the psp has 32 meg of flash but its not all useable. from what i gather its split into 3 main parts and what devhook does is split the main bit into 2 and stores some of the data on there. a bit like partitioning your hard drive.
also i use the previous version of devhook just so i dont accidently flash it to my psp's flash because there is a distinct possibility of a brick. the flash option i think is the only difference between 0.45 and 0.46.
the flash option should speed up devhook but its not worth it for the chance of a brick.

Accordion
September 1st, 2006, 14:44
yep its 32MB… in 3 parts

*the base information, such as ID, MAC address, product number

*the IPL which controls the psp boot sequence

*and the actual firmware files

as far as i know 1.50 firmware only uses half of the memory.
good news for homebrew is that once sony fill up the 32MB they cant offer any more purposeful firmware updates…

i would be wary of flashing 2.71 files, it might not brick, but it could leave you with 2.71…!!!