PDA

View Full Version : 1.5 Sony Xmb Partial Brick? O.o

DenofLions
September 1st, 2006, 03:20
This just started happening a few minutes ago, dunno whats going on... I have my Psp set to autoboot Irshell upon turning it on, so I don't use the Xmb all that much.

I was going to drop back to the Xmb and use the Mp3 player when all of a sudden I got the blue screen of death. I hit O to try and default the setting but it just repeatedly blue screens me.

I turned it off and back on agian, Irshell boots, drop back to the 1.5 Xmb, blue screen. I think my flash is bricked.

The latest thing I added to my Psp was a 2.71 firmware dump for Devhook to emulate, and I haven't flashed anything to my psp since the first "custom firmware" mod came out.

I can still do everything I need to by emulating 2.0 or 2.71 (I keep 2.0 around so I can use CheatDevice on GTA), I just find it odd that my 1.5 Xmb died.

Just incase its relevant -
Things I've flashed onto my 1.5 psp in the past:
Custom Font
Custom Menu Labels
Version Number 13.37 Spoof (so NFS:MW would run straight from the 1.5 Xmb)
Custom Firmware mod (the original proof of concept one)
Network Update button disabled

Edit: I think I may have found the cause of the blue screen.

I've noticed that the folder that used to contain the files from the font hack is missing from the root of my memory stick.

I'm guessing the hack called the font from that folder and now the firmware can't find it and crashes.

Anyone know of an easy way to remove the hack or what program you use to create those font files (I don't remember what it was I used, it was awhile ago)?

Apoklepz
September 1st, 2006, 03:40
Flashmod can do a font hack, and even restore the original PSP fonts...Don't you have the Devhook recovery mode option, though?

DenofLions
September 1st, 2006, 03:42
Flashmod can do a font hack, and even restore the original PSP fonts...Don't you have the Devhook recovery mode option, though?

I have the recovery mode from the custom firmware mod, but like I said I can still run homebrew (Irshell autoboot)/Devhook emulated 2.0/2.71 Sony Xmb. I'll run the restore on Flashmod and see if it unbricks my 1.5 Xmb.

Apoklepz
September 1st, 2006, 03:48
How is it bricked if you can still run homebrew?...What you mean is you can't get to see the Sony xmb, am I right?

...At least you're lucky enough you got that recovery mode thingie, and you're able to clean up your act in the MS to make everything clear again....I myself wouldn't have screwed my PSP if all this was out at that time...

I'm pretty sure you can find an easy fix to your problem... good luck.

DenofLions
September 1st, 2006, 04:00
How is it bricked if you can still run homebrew?...What you mean is you can't get to see the Sony xmb, am I right?

...At least you're lucky enough you got that recovery mode thingie, and you're able to clean up your act in the MS to make everything clear again....I myself wouldn't have screwed my PSP if all this was out at that time...

I'm pretty sure you can find an easy fix to your problem... good luck.

Lemme try to explain better...

My psp boots Irshell before it boots the 1.5 Xmb. When I try to drop back to that Xmb is when I can see the Xmb itself is screwed (Bricked isn't really an appropriate term, since the psp itself still functions, just not the Xmb).

From Irshell I can boot any Homebrew, including Devhook with 2.00 and 2.71 Emulation.

The only thing I can't do is use the 1.5 Xmb, which I use for Mp3 playback and Mp4 videos.

I need a way to restore the original font since my custom font folder has vanished off my memory stick, assuming this folder is the source of the problem. (and I'm not sure it is, I think I've used the Xmb since that folder was deleted.)

Oh and Flashmod (and X-Flash) didn't have an option to restore the original psp font. :(

I mean, I could live without using the normal Xmb, its just a pain to have to boot up Devhook 2.00 Emulation just to use the Mp3 player/Video player.

M!ckeY
September 1st, 2006, 04:36
can you run the 2.00 update, if you could that might fix it, because then you could downgrade back to 1.50 :)

Apoklepz
September 1st, 2006, 06:24
I need a way to restore the original font since my custom font folder has vanished off my memory stick, assuming this folder is the source of the problem. (and I'm not sure it is, I think I've used the Xmb since that folder was deleted.)

Oh and Flashmod (and X-Flash) didn't have an option to restore the original psp font. :(

Sorry, but I did understand what your problem is after I last posted. The last version of Flashmod(w/ fontmod option...Duh) should fix your problem font problem.

tallica
September 1st, 2006, 08:42
Dude why dont you just use recovery mode? Flash index.dat then upgrade to 1.5.

M!ckeY
September 1st, 2006, 10:49
he used the first of all the custom firmwares, so he doesn't have recovery mode

tallica
September 1st, 2006, 10:58
lol, that suxs.

M!ckeY
September 1st, 2006, 11:07
yeah, that really does suck, recovery mode is the best for things like that :)

tallica
September 1st, 2006, 11:35
Yeah everyone should have custom firmware even if they arent going to flash their psp. You can never be too safe.

M!ckeY
September 1st, 2006, 11:44
yup, better safe than sorry

Anger
September 1st, 2006, 12:11
if it just the missing font files then its easily fixed.

either get a copy of the orig font files or do this:

create a folder on your memory stick called fontmod.
use my program to create a new font.
copy the font files that are created into the fontmod folder and copy and rename ltn0.pgf ltn1.pgf etc. up to 15.
then you should be able to get access to your xmb where you can then copy over all the original font files on your psp to the memory stick. either that or keep your custom ones. this is the quickest option imo.

*EDIT* sorry im wrong - theres still some files you need otherwise the psp will still bluescreen. so you do need to have the original files. you just need to get someone to send you them or get a pack from one of the other sites.

DenofLions
September 1st, 2006, 13:51
Thank you all for the replys.

I do infact have recovery mode (holding R during bootup brings up the blue recovery screen).

I'm not extremely informed with the inside of firmware... so where do I get the index file for the option in Recovery mode?

Anger
September 1st, 2006, 20:07
i think you are going to extreme measures to solve a problem that can take seconds to fix (if its the lack of fonts thats doing it).
i also hear that using the index.dat to allow you to update through recovery mode can brick your psp.
but good luck whatever you decide to do anyway. :)

Apoklepz
September 1st, 2006, 20:12
Exactly.

DenofLions
September 1st, 2006, 22:38
Well untill I find the font I used with the hack (which seems to have vanished from my windows font section... how convenient) and the program I used to do it so I can recreate it. I think its stuck.

Not a big deal I guess, Devhook handles what I needed the 1.5 xmb for.