PDA

View Full Version : UMD Writer

pspsk8r
September 1st, 2006, 17:33
I dont see why sony dosnt embrace homebrew (probably cause people will just play homebrew games and not buy umd's)

Any way i thoght why dosnt sony just make a UMD writer that you plug into a usb port, and then you buy blank umd's so sony makes a profit and we get homebrew. So you could just write your homebrew files onto a umd so you could acces them.

i think if they made it might look like this.

http://library.udayton.edu/services/computer/images/49b.jpg

this is just a usb zip drive but it would be cool if sony made something like this for umd's so you can use hombrew on all versions!!!

what do you think?

BrooksyX
September 1st, 2006, 17:37
Even if we did have UMD writer from sony* for like music and movies, I am about 99.9% sure that it wouldnt work for homebrew or burning games illegaly becasue the data on the umd is encrypted just like booting games off of the memory card.

Accordion
September 1st, 2006, 17:41
…common sense evades

pspsk8r
September 1st, 2006, 17:42
no my idea was that they would make it for hombrew and sell blank umd's for $10 or somthing

PlagueMusic
September 1st, 2006, 21:35
...to run isos? your dumb, correct?

AtariFreek
September 1st, 2006, 21:41
Hey, Now Thats Not Neccesary. He Just Has An Idea.

one winged angel
September 1st, 2006, 21:54
well it would be possible if sony would make the umd capacity kind of 100mb so that it is to small to burn isos on it

lmtlmt
September 2nd, 2006, 01:21
he was talking about homebrew games not iso's

Man
September 2nd, 2006, 01:53
...to run isos? your dumb, correct?

your ignorant, correct, this guy has a semi good i dea, its good in thought, but would never fly past sony, they would never sell blank umds, so need for flaming or just being an a$$hole, he doesnt even mention isos at all in his statement so get lost if you have nothing good to say.

pkmaximum
September 2nd, 2006, 01:55
It would probaly work for media purposes only. (Video, Music) But taht would be exploited with firmware 1.5, to use it for other reasons. Such as writing homebrews of large masses like PSP revolution, and many songs to it.

Tinnus
September 2nd, 2006, 03:27
They aren't stupid enough to enable people to burn $10 UMDs with executable code.

Please... :rolleyes:

Mr. Shizzy
September 2nd, 2006, 18:25
lol. Cool thought. But if $ONY ever did that, piracy on the PSP would shoot through the roof.

SteveV2
September 2nd, 2006, 22:40
lol. Cool thought. But if $ONY ever did that, piracy on the PSP would shoot through the roof.

Yeah, just like cd writers and dvd writers have bankrupted all these multi billion $ empires :rolleyes:

I personally think something like this could work, the PSP is not just a HH games machine. Hell, you could put photos, music or video on one.

Mr. Shizzy
September 4th, 2006, 08:48
Yeah, just like cd writers and dvd writers have bankrupted all these multi billion $ empires :rolleyes:

I personally think something like this could work, the PSP is not just a HH games machine. Hell, you could put photos, music or video on one.

Yeah, but what your talking about was never meant to be used to back up commercial stuff. Which is obviously what most interested parties would attempt with a UMD writer. And even if people weren't trying to illegaly back up iso images on them, SONY could never condone using them for homebrew anyway. LOL. (Due to legal issues). You can put plenty photo's ect... on your memory stick. C'mon man, how much of that do you really need with you? The answer is b/c of the price of memory sticks; a UMD writer would be the the cheapest and most convienent way to pirate software on the PSP.
And I don't know where you live bud, but Piracy is running rampant in the DVD/CD market. And it costs corporations (and in the end, consumers) millions of dollars every year.

AlexRoxUrSox
July 21st, 2007, 06:58
the bare fact that ISO's are released illegally will ensure sony has a heart attack and two gunshots before releasing UMD-free writing capabilities.
And I doubt they get past a scratch.

EDIT: Hence they released a UMD, not a mini-dvd as their premonitions were.
This made complete security within themselves. Until of course, within the first week, underground hackers broke the
encryption, so then it was pretty bleak for them to trust the gaming community. Considering the coding aspect of the psp wasnt open source, but custom, homebrew was a smack in the face.

xg917
July 22nd, 2007, 06:46
im kinda tired so im not sure what exactly everyone is trying to say.

but yea.. im sure there are umd writters because in my country venezuela (and many others) sell burned UMDs on the streets and are able to play on psps.. so yea. but w/e time for me to sleep. good nite.

AnthonyR48
July 22nd, 2007, 18:27
I think it is a good idea but it will never happen

Nicko01
July 24th, 2007, 01:03
Would it be possible to mod a mini dvd to fit into a umd case and use a homebrew to read the data off of it and use it like that? It should be possible, just hard to do because you would need to handmake each of the UMD's.

Welshboy
July 24th, 2007, 01:49
Sounds like a lot of effort for something that can be done off our memory sticks mind?

steve520
July 24th, 2007, 02:00
Hmmm seems like alot of effort to make a umd writer.

ICE
July 24th, 2007, 02:51
…common sense evades
yeah thats what i was thinking too...