PDA

View Full Version : Version 1.5 = Faster!?

chrono75
September 2nd, 2006, 00:29
Alright, I have a question which can probably be answered using google or looking around DCEmu more but I'm too lazy and I like to hear from a person on a more personal level, u know?

When I got my psp it was at version 2.0. I soon downgraded to 1.5 due to the lots and lots of homebrew being created, duh, but something rather bad happened a few days ago and that was my little brother grabbing the PSP Lemmings demo and updating the firmware to 2.7. Now, I have to use GTA LCS to run the glorious homebrew that is.
Okay first question!

1.) Does a 1.5 PSP allow for faster emulation/homebrew running? (Pretty much all I do on my PSP is play Super Nintendo ROMs. N E way I noticed that when I had 1.5 and ran Snes9x (latest version, not TYL) and switched the screen resolution to FullBL (full blend), everything worked very well even with sound at almost 50-60fps for most games. However, when my PSP was updated to 2.7, I went through GTA LCS and then to the homebrew loaded (haha, I forgot the name, but i think its BOCK, hell if i know) and then to my SNES emulator; thus loading a game (Super Adventure Island 2) the screen would flicker using the FullBL resolution... This kind of sucks, and I think the speed of the entire emulator has drastically slowed down. So now, I am forced to look at the raw emulator renderings not interpolated (or blended graphics that make the game look way nicer).
So, does a 1.5 PSP run homebrews faster?

Sorry for the long story, but I'm pretty sure a 1.5 PSP runs homebrew faster and I'm thinking for downgrading AGAIN... AARGH!

Gots my Paris Hilton video working quite well tho!

Festizzio
September 2nd, 2006, 00:51
Well, the me version of snes tyl (1.5 only) runs some games faster with sound than the standard version. (2.0+)

chrono75
September 2nd, 2006, 01:00
Thats good to know... Actually I have the newest SnesTYL 4.2 or something but I used the older emulator because I swear it ran some of the less popular games better, with sound too... Oh yeah and I was 30Min away (haha probably not even) from beating Chrono Trigger, but im such a performance buff that I just had to give it a rest for now cause mah shit gots updated...
In TYL is have the sounds off and the screen scale to 1:1 (pretty much tweaked all the options to favor speed) but still the framerate drops under 50 sometimes but it never goes under 50 when I had 1.5...

I really think something happened when it comes to the amount of power the PSP can allow homebrew games to use when they updated the firmware... *sigh* i guess its back to the Laptop for awhile or until someone can answer my question... I still believe the PSP is a great system tho, no doubt!

Festizzio
September 2nd, 2006, 01:06
Thats good to know... Actually I have the newest SnesTYL 4.2 or something but I used the older emulator because I swear it ran some of the less popular games better, with sound too... Oh yeah and I was 30Min away (haha probably not even) from beating Chrono Trigger, but im such a performance buff that I just had to give it a rest for now cause mah shit gots updated...
In TYL is have the sounds off and the screen scale to 1:1 (pretty much tweaked all the options to favor speed) but still the framerate drops under 50 sometimes but it never goes under 50 when I had 1.5...

I really think something happened when it comes to the amount of power the PSP can allow homebrew games to use when they updated the firmware... *sigh* i guess its back to the Laptop for awhile or until someone can answer my question... I still believe the PSP is a great system tho, no doubt!

The thing is, the PSP has two processors. There are two versions of SNES9x tyl. One, which is for 1.5 ONLY, utilizes the media engine to process sound, which gives a huge speed boost to pretty much every game with sound on. The other version of SNES9x tyl, the standard version made specifically for 2.0+ PSP's, doesn't use the media engine, which is why games are generally slower with sound on at all. This isn't the case for most homebrew however; a lot of emulators, like Rin's gbc emulator and gpSP, work the same speed as they do on 1.5.

Oh, and also, did you mean your brother updated your firmware to 2.6?

DPyro
September 2nd, 2006, 01:12
Just update to 2.71 then downgrade back to 1.50 :D

chrono75
September 2nd, 2006, 01:13
Just checked the version of my PSP and yes, u were correct... Thankyou! I'm going to try to downgrade tonight... My only worries are not being able to run my only 2 real PSP games... GTA LCS and Megaman Maverick Hunter X... Hell! I didn't even buy my PSP I saw some fat kid drop it accidentally HAHAHA!! Thanks man, im going for it tonight!

Word...
i think this thread can be removed now; awesome.

chrono75
September 2nd, 2006, 01:14
oh hell, do i have to update to 2.71? oh man... Thats almost scary! Well, ive got to have my smoothe SNES emulator man, u know? Or else id just use my laptop...
thanks muches

Video_freak
September 2nd, 2006, 01:15
Just update to 2.71 then downgrade back to 1.50 :D
Lol! Which is now possible! :)

Festizzio
September 2nd, 2006, 01:23
oh hell, do i have to update to 2.71? oh man... Thats almost scary! Well, ive got to have my smoothe SNES emulator man, u know? Or else id just use my laptop...
thanks muches

If you're at 2.6, then no. Just make sure you don't have a TA-082 motherboard, otherwise your PSP will brick. Also, for running gta and megaman, you can use devhook which emulates firmwares up to 2.71.

chrono75
September 2nd, 2006, 01:27
HUGZ!! Not anything homo, just real...
Oh yeah and this is WAY off this thread but here it
is and hopefully without too much chastising...
Anyway, I've been working REALLY hard on this 2D Sidescroller called Mega Dude... It has a level-up system, 3D Rendered graphics and 100% original content and sound effects (other than public domain SNES SPC soundtracks). On any note, its really hard to get my game out there and I was wondering if someone could test its predecessor (Megaman X Fusion) and then the final changed project Mega Dude... If you help me, I swear I'll add your name in the credits... What I'm really looking for it help with this project cause im thinking about releasing a VERY dubbed down PSP version...

Where would I post a thread like this again?
Man u guys r cool and very knowledgeable... Anyone want to help with one of the best looking 320x240 res games ever made? I promise it will not let down the classic gamer... Thank you and take a look at the very early beta demo of the Mega Dude engine... It's a Megaman X game that almost any fan would enjoy... Sorry for the wrong thread position, but in the long run this will belong here anywayz :) Its just hard to make a great game all by yourself, but I think I'm going to break 2D ground cause I can use Mode7 and other various sweet effects... Not exactly ground breaking there, but if used with modern technology can bring back fond memories. Check this out if u want a fun 2d experience... PLEASE!

okay here is the link to the early beta engine and screenshots...
http://www.geocities.com/petshopwaffle/mmxf

This is my 6th game I've ever created and I hope to see some of my work pay off :) Please give feedback... The DL is under 20MB but very much worth it if you're into 2D games, I promise and if u really like this, Mega Dude will make u loose sleep, and thats my aim...

oh yeah my e-mail is
[email protected] and my AIM name is
adam828297 reply if youve got a moderate amount of usable programming or artistic experience.

Oh yeah and Geocities makes a shitty hosting site so if u know where I can put the Final Mega Dude version somewhere that can spare about 30-40 megs, let me know...

Also remember that if you try it out:
CTRL = run
all of the other keys are on the webpage you can get to by going to the link above.

Festizzio
September 2nd, 2006, 01:29
Sorry, this GeoCities site is currently unavailable.

The GeoCities web site you were trying to view has temporarily exceeded its data transfer limit. Please try again later.

:(

AtariFreek
September 2nd, 2006, 01:42
Megaupload Should Let You, i Think...

ryutoki
September 2nd, 2006, 06:23
Megaupload sucks ass. Host your stuff on FileFront.

http://filefront.com/