PDA

View Full Version : FreeDO just went open source

Darksaviour69
November 11th, 2010, 22:20
It seems after 2 years of first talking about going open source with freeDO, the team have actually finally release it.

Admin/felix of the freedo forums posted:

We've just released sources of main portion of FreeDO (the emulator core). It is compilable under gcc. Go grab it from http://code.google.com/p/freedo/.
Example QT Gui frontend sources, PBUS plugin and XBUS plugin sources will be added soo

So anyone looking forward to playing a few 3DO games on there Dreamcast, PSP, PS3 etc?

Thanks to Basile (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2148376214&postcount=15) for the news

wraggster
November 11th, 2010, 22:43
awesome news, i was one of those who brought the 3D0 when it was released, it was an excellent console,need for speed on the 3do was an amazing game

JDvorak
November 12th, 2010, 14:59
Need for Speed was good on the 3DO but every console at the time had a better version of it. This included the Sega Saturn and the Sony Playstation. Even the PC was better. But it would be interesting to see this run on current consoles. Could the Dreamcast even handle this?

Anthony817
November 12th, 2010, 15:56
I don't see why the Dreamcast couldn't run it, it would just need to be optimized like every other system for it and some things would need to be rewritten from scratch. I hope Chui takes a look at this, as this is THE system I want to be emulated for Dreamcast!

XDelusion
November 12th, 2010, 19:43
It was supposed to be released for the Dreamcast and XBOX ages ago, so I'm sure it could run on the Wii as well.

As for me, the two games I kept coming back to that the 3DO pulled off better than any other console were Road Rash and Po'ed.

D&D Deathkeep was a ton of fun too!

Anthony817
November 12th, 2010, 20:04
I loved Starfighter and Need for Speed and Road rash as well on mine. Is the 3d0 or PS1 a more powerful system? I mean, some games on the 3DO were superior to their ports on Saturn and PS1 if I remember correctly.

Case in point Starfighter.
3DO
QLXK8xubtic

Saturn/PS1 identical versions
JJYLjHgelPI

Note the lower draw distances and the shittier textures.

gusmento01
November 12th, 2010, 23:51
Gex on 3DO is better than the Saturn and Ps1 version.Super Street Fighter Turbo is also very impressive on 3DO

justicejoe
November 13th, 2010, 01:29
Thats cool stuff,