PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Herald Slams Sony

wraggster
September 3rd, 2006, 13:17
Heres what the Scottish Newspaper said:

Then there was Sony Connect, the corporation’s attempt to come to terms with the download generation. It worked like any other online music service and came with a range of sleek devices to play the sounds on – but the company decided to ignore the universally accepted MP3 format and come up with its own, completely incompatible audio format. The results were predictable.

There are many who would argue that all of this is the result of a policy which was responsible for making Sony a household name in the first place. Formed in 1946 as part of the post-war reconstruction of Japan, Sony was set up to be the perfect factory, with teams of engineers working in vigorous competition with each other. This policy of internal isolationism created the transistor radio and the Walkman, but today it seems more of a hindrance than a help.

Sony has squandered the market advantages it once enjoyed. The Walkman brand that fuelled it through the 1980s is now virtually non-existent, the Wega television range of the 1990s has been superseded and now the firm faces an uphill struggle to capitalise on the games console range it hopes will secure its future.

“The strange thing here is that Sony is actually very good at manufacturing slick, attractive devices that work well,” says technology brand consultant Francis Stewart. “If they had just stuck to doing that and avoided tying themselves in knots over industry politics, then I very much doubt that there’d have been even the slightest doubt about the company’s future.”

With share prices tumbling and confidence in the once-unshakeable brand severely dented, only time will tell if Sony can continue to maintain its position at the forefront of consumer electronics.

But the company itself seems unperturbed. There may have been setbacks, it claims, but it remains the brand leader in entertainment and will continue to do so.

According to Sony sources, not only will the Blueray format ultimately prove a global success, but within months of launching the PlayStation 3, its position at the top of the heap will be reasserted. It claims that the new console is so advanced it will simply blow the competition away.

AtariFreek
September 3rd, 2006, 20:19
Yeah, And So Expensive It'll Blow Our Wallets Away...

Shilo
September 3rd, 2006, 20:32
Yeah, And So Expensive It'll Blow Our Wallets Away...

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

muffinman
September 3rd, 2006, 20:51
i agree with shilo there :)

anyways thats not a very informative piece just some drivvle to fill a newspaper on a boring day.

Adrenalin
September 4th, 2006, 09:05
i agree with shilo there :)

anyways thats not a very informative piece just some drivvle to fill a newspaper on a boring day.

heh, a agree on both lines...

its not that i dislike ps3 that much, but my main problems with it are -
-size (bigger than a 360... thats huge)
-too much power (yeah... its stupid if u can hardly use it)
-unsafe new disk format (who knows if it will succeed?)
-shitty controller - i hated the older ps controllers, and now that theyve chucked in non-useful motion sensing (unlike the wiimote) it is even worse
-price - i'm not talking value for money, which i don't doubt for ps3s great cpu and bluray compatability, but in context with someone who simply can't afford it even if they like it.

although i love wii and will buy it, i have a few problems with it
- restricted online service (probable)
- unconfirmed compatablility with music playing, dvd movie playing, quality of internet browser
etc.

the main problem with 360 is its lack of uniqueness. although that could be argued that it is the fault of its competitors

donne
September 4th, 2006, 09:08
Oh great.. Another anti-Sony news..

muffinman
September 4th, 2006, 10:24
heh, a agree on both lines...

its not that i dislike ps3 that much, but my main problems with it are -
-size (bigger than a 360... thats huge)
-too much power (yeah... its stupid if u can hardly use it)
-unsafe new disk format (who knows if it will succeed?)
-shitty controller - i hated the older ps controllers, and now that theyve chucked in non-useful motion sensing (unlike the wiimote) it is even worse
-price - i'm not talking value for money, which i don't doubt for ps3s great cpu and bluray compatability, but in context with someone who simply can't afford it even if they like it.

although i love wii and will buy it, i have a few problems with it
- restricted online service (probable)
- unconfirmed compatablility with music playing, dvd movie playing, quality of internet browser
etc.

the main problem with 360 is its lack of uniqueness. although that could be argued that it is the fault of its competitors

man you just hate everything dont you :)
and anyways the amount of people backing blueray plus the size of some of the ps3 games already being made it seems essential.
And that power will be needed in a few years because if you think games are becoming more power hungry and more beautiful, they will need that power.

as for the wii its a console to have your mates round to play on. Its all about interaction for the wii not the online play :)