PDA

View Full Version : sony planning to illegally dump PSP

bynight
October 27th, 2004, 10:16
Its official:

Sony's planning to illegally dump their Sony PSP at 60% below their cost of manufacture, selling PSP for only $180.

I think Zodiac, Palm, Dell, HP, PocketPC, Apple *and anybody who makes handheld computers or MP3 players should prepare to sue Sony for being monolopistic a-holes and trying to take over a market by dumping their product at a lose. *

Dumping products into out countries is anti-competive, monopolistic, and highly unethical. Shame on Sony. *

Hawq
October 27th, 2004, 10:58
There we go a much more suitable home for it

Alexvrb
October 30th, 2004, 21:30
Hmm, I can't bring myself to really disagree with this... it's part of what Japanese TV companies did (with the Japanese government partially subsidizing their effort) to wipe out US TV manufacturers once and for all. Granted they had an edge regardless, but it went from an advantage to a massacre. But that's neither here nor there. It IS a dog eat dog world, and Sony is a big, hungry dog. They can and will do whatever it takes to get their foot in this market too. Fortunetely, I think there are enough Nintendo fans that regardless of how good or well priced the PSP is, they won't dominate. Competition is good, the world struggles on. I'd be more concerned about the generation AFTER this one, if Sony does well.

alseides
November 6th, 2004, 18:21
Not to sound selfish or anything, as long as I can get my hands on an affordable handheld, I am happy.

Actually, most consumers will probably favor this. This doesn't hurt the consumer or Sony, as long as we get a good deal and Sony makes revenue from the games.

It might (and I bet it will) hurt the competitors, but that's how things work anyways.

WHurricane16
November 6th, 2004, 19:54
I'm confused: *how is this business strategy bad? *Dost (young, naive) consumers protest too much.

EDIT:

Dumping products into out countries is anti-competive, monopolistic, and highly unethical. Shame on Sony. *

Furthermore, how is this illegal? *They can do what they want to do to win. *That's business: *play the game of business to win. *

You joined the forums just to complain about that? *You have much to learn about a great many things.

Just call meDr. Capitalist.

Still, don't kid yourself....I don't think the PSP will do well at all. *And to think other portables like PDA would be effected by this is just plain crazy thought.

Prescription:
Just keep telling yourself "Sony is not the biggest company on the planet" about 1,000 times. This should fix all hallucinogens.

alseides
November 7th, 2004, 17:40
I'm not so sure as to go as far as saying the PSP won't do well at all. I have my doubts, but nothing is certain at this point. nothing.

Ill post back in a year and we can talk about it then. ;D

kimbonious
April 2nd, 2006, 13:50
Its official:

Sony's planning to illegally dump their Sony PSP at 60% below their cost of manufacture, selling PSP for only $180.
It is not illegal. Just unethical.
And to those of you asking it goes against anticompetive legislations that have been put in to effect and were, in effect rescinded in the 90's. It is not bad for Sony. It could hurt consumers in the end though. After sony does this the competition may not be able to keep up.(american tv dev's) Which will leave sony standing alone. Doing what they want and charging what they want. (EA)

Knutselmaaster
April 3rd, 2006, 20:18
Homebrew with full functionality for all psp users!

That's being competitive; give the users what they want.
That will make it the system with the most software on the market.

Darksaviour69
April 3rd, 2006, 20:39
please don't dump year and a half old topics