PDA

View Full Version : custom firmwares

TheRealShin
September 6th, 2006, 15:16
ok well i had a 2.6 psp and i downgraded useing the gta downgrader to 1.5 now i got some questions i here about custom firmware is there really any plus to them and whats the difference between with a downgraded to 1.5 and also i heard that you should upgrade to 2.0 and then back to 1.5 if you used the gta downgrader any real reason for doing this thanks in advanced

Baboon
September 6th, 2006, 15:35
I also downgraded my PSP a little while ago. :)

I haven’t had the bottle to install custom firmware yet, I’m too afraid I’ll brick my PSP (it was scary enough downgrading, yet alone playing about unnecessarily with flash). If you don’t know for sure what your doing (and I certainly don’t)... don’t do it!

With custom firmwares you can have fancy boot screens with differnt sounds and pics, different fonts, pictures for your wallpaper etc etc

I can live with a standard 1.5 PSP. :D

TheRealShin
September 6th, 2006, 15:41
hehe i knwo what you mean i was shitting my pants downgrading hopeing it worked well if it would only screw up if i tried to install a custom firmware then screw it i can live my regular 1.5 all i really need is my home brew and at the moment i dont cusdtom firmware to run any of that stuff

dejkirkby
September 6th, 2006, 15:42
With custom firmwares you can have fancy boot screens with differnt sounds and pics, different fonts, pictures for your wallpaper etc etc

I can live with a standard 1.5 PSP. :D
You don't need a custom firmware to do these, you only need Theme PSP and X-Flash. They are both pretty risk-free if you just be careful.

Baboon
September 6th, 2006, 15:49
You don't need a custom firmware to do these, you only need Theme PSP and X-Flash. They are both pretty risk-free if you just be careful.

Fair enough... but I guess both those progs can be risky (especially with a buffoon like myself doing it).

As good as the results can be by customising, I still don’t think its worth the risk of fookin up my beloved 1.5. :)

TheRealShin
September 6th, 2006, 15:53
so what else does a custom firmware add and it will only **** up from trying to put a firmware on right i mean itll be fine useing like ir shell and other home brew crap right. lol and have you guys ever noticed when you use the digital pad on the psp sometimes it feels weird when you like push up and right at the same time
?

TheRealShin
September 6th, 2006, 15:55
so what else does a custom firmware add and it will only **** up from trying to put a firmware on right i mean itll be fine useing like ir shell and other home brew crap right. lol and have you guys ever noticed when you use the digital pad on the psp sometimes it feels weird when you like push up and right at the same time
?

dejkirkby
September 6th, 2006, 16:06
Cyustom Firmware add functions like automatically booting into a certain homebrew on start-up. But these can be quite risky to set-up, esp. if you don't know what you are doing. Using X-flash or Theme PSP is better if you want gameboots, opening sounds, and backgrounds. In fact the lasest versions of X-Flash add some features of custom firmware for you. (Jeez, I sound like I'm pimpin' these programs!)

TheRealShin
September 6th, 2006, 17:11
ahhh so as long as i dont add custom firmware im fine with not redowngrading

psp828
September 6th, 2006, 23:25
i dont see why your scared of unstalling anything that writes to flash i mean you did downgrade and that has a higher chance of bricking then regular flashing.

PSPdemon
September 7th, 2006, 00:15
As long as your careful......you can pretty much change everything on your psp....

your highest risk is......the coldboot and the gameboot .pmf files

other than that... changeing bg's, font, tags, ect.....cant hurt your psp...

-for the fonts-

Font Hacker 0.93 ( cause you can resize them and test them on your psp )

-for the bg's, sounds, gameboot's and coldboots-

XFlash v15

hope that helps a bit....

Thanks for Everything,
PSPdemon

PS - all you got to do is just be careful about your coldboots and your gameboots.....other than that...your safe...

heres a pic of my psp :D

( PSS - i dont hold responsible to anything that happens on your psp's.........just that it worked wonders on mine )

TheRealShin
September 7th, 2006, 01:52
ahh sweet but i really need to know as long as i dont install custom firmware then i dont need to worry about re downgrading right

TheRealShin
September 8th, 2006, 04:41
lol anyone i just need a yes or no if i dont plan on useing custom firmwares i dont need to worry about redoing the 1.5 flash right

TheRealShin
September 8th, 2006, 15:10
bump please a little help

sshaw1982
September 9th, 2006, 01:23
Custom Firmware is ace and as long as you follow the read me you'll be fine, the added recovery mode will fix partial bricks, meaning even if you do flash a bad gameboot or coldboot you can recover your psp into a fully working console again, I'd recommend going for it

TheRealShin
September 9th, 2006, 03:15
ahhh ok i might do it hehe but even with the recovery struff i still dont like risking anytype of brick espesally since i did the 2.6 to 1.5 downgrade

sshaw1982
September 9th, 2006, 09:03
seriously though, the procedure for installing custom firmware is twice as quick and much less risky than running a code made through an exploit to initiate an eboot that shouldn't run, downgrading your PSP

Tetris999
September 9th, 2006, 11:48
yeah helli dont see how you can mess up custom firmware it takes like freakin 3 seconds and seriously the only way to "mess up" if you unplug your psp but the writing to flash again always risky so make sure u return ure psp back to normal "gameboots, fonts,etc" Hello people these proggy are programmed if they worked then the risk would be to unplug your psp.Its kinda like a wooden roller coaster and youre just frightened to get on :P

The EX
September 9th, 2006, 11:50
If you are unsure of anything that the custom firmwares do then chec out this:

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=35183

TheRealShin
September 9th, 2006, 13:47
well im not unsure i just heard that the 2.6 downgrader leaves crap behind in the flash of your psp and if you try install custom fw that it could brick if you dont up to fw 2.0 then back down to 1.5 before installing customs ones and i still havent got a straight answer about it or if it matter if i dont plan on useing custom fw

Zion
September 9th, 2006, 13:56
downgrade from 1.5 to 1.0 then upgrade to 1.5 ... thats the best and cleanest way of doing it :D

TheRealShin
September 9th, 2006, 14:10
hehe thanks for the quick answer now one last one is it really needed if i dont plan on useing custom firmware to go thru the extra downgradeing

Tetris999
September 9th, 2006, 14:30
i liked your old avatar zion.... just saying :P

sshaw1982
September 9th, 2006, 20:58
You should either go from 1.5 o 1.0 back to 1.5 or 1.5 to 2.0 and back again to ensure a clean system
I went 1.5 - 2.0 and back but apparently going down to 1.0 and back up is even cleaner, you could get problems by not doing this whether you plan to use custom firmware or not...