PDA

View Full Version : 2.81 firmware

splodger15
September 6th, 2006, 21:15
It has always been a cat and mouse relationship between hackers (or attackers according to FrSIRT) and Sony. And by cat and mouse by no means do we refer to Tom and Jerry, but the carnage that is Itchy and Scratchy and the nasty ways they've figured out to hurt or in this case outwit one another.

Take the case of DevHook. Some time in August the developer received a Cease and Desist Order from Sony that lead to the site's shutdown. But that little stint only caused developers to get even. Hence, the release of numerous downdaters/downgraders. While others like DreaDNoughT took the more comical approach by releasing a satirical game called Hackers vs Sony.

When FrSIRT reported that "A vulnerability has been identified in Sony PSP, which could be exploited by attackers to execute arbitrary commands," it's like music to hackers' ears. We can only speculate that this urged Sony to take the defensive and release v2.81, with a v2.81 badge flashing across their site. However, it is so far only available in Europe as the US site still has v2.80 on their System Update page. Even the Sony's Official Japanese site doesn't have this release.

Which can only lead us to speculate, wait and speculate some more on what Sony is up to. At this point, we can only give you a friendly reminder: If you still want to play your homebrew, do not upgrade. look at yourpsp and see the 2.81 firmware update

from qj net

SSaxdude
September 6th, 2006, 21:25
I've been telling people for ages not to upgrade. Now they finally listen to me.

These will be hard times with the upcoming 3.0 upgrade. Don't waste your PSP just because it can "emulate" Playstation games that you have to pay for. Just wait for the homebrew emulator.

THUD
September 7th, 2006, 07:16
This is good news isn't it....It means SONY must have had a panic when there precious 2.8 showed the Tiff exploit running on its platform....

So please lets have a 2.8 to 1.5 downgrader as soon as possible....I shall be waiting, never updating always anticipating...yer yer

M!ckeY
September 7th, 2006, 07:47
yeah they must have paniced and now they have a security patch. :)

pibs
September 7th, 2006, 07:58
is it possible to some how downgrade a psp through the webrowser + a custom website designed specificaly for that purpose? i know it sounds very stupid lol

vladiftodi
September 7th, 2006, 08:52
hey, isnt possible to share playstation roms, that are about to come? like ngage games?

razorak
September 7th, 2006, 09:34
if i remember correctly, P2P is perfectly legal. It becomes illegal the moment you share copyrighted documents

anyway, Sony ain't gonna stick with security patches for long. It's probably a matter of time before we see TA-083s...lol

splodger15
September 7th, 2006, 17:37
is it possible to some how downgrade a psp through the webrowser + a custom website designed specificaly for that purpose? i know it sounds very stupid lol

no

VampDude
September 7th, 2006, 19:02
hey, isnt possible to share playstation roms, that are about to come? like ngage games?
computer says: NO

nielsss
September 10th, 2006, 19:09
It has always been a cat and mouse relationship between hackers (or attackers according to FrSIRT) and Sony. And by cat and mouse by no means do we refer to Tom and Jerry, but the carnage that is Itchy and Scratchy and the nasty ways they've figured out to hurt or in this case outwit one another.

Take the case of DevHook. Some time in August the developer received a Cease and Desist Order from Sony that lead to the site's shutdown. But that little stint only caused developers to get even. Hence, the release of numerous downdaters/downgraders. While others like DreaDNoughT took the more comical approach by releasing a satirical game called Hackers vs Sony.

When FrSIRT reported that "A vulnerability has been identified in Sony PSP, which could be exploited by attackers to execute arbitrary commands," it's like music to hackers' ears. We can only speculate that this urged Sony to take the defensive and release v2.81, with a v2.81 badge flashing across their site. However, it is so far only available in Europe as the US site still has v2.80 on their System Update page. Even the Sony's Official Japanese site doesn't have this release.

Which can only lead us to speculate, wait and speculate some more on what Sony is up to. At this point, we can only give you a friendly reminder: If you still want to play your homebrew, do not upgrade. look at yourpsp and see the 2.81 firmware update

from qj net

2.81 sucks