PDA

View Full Version : Help with 2 images

peens
September 7th, 2006, 02:54
ok i want to burn more than one thing on a disk but, i dont know if i can use the multiboot menu in SBI4. i already have the CDI image for one of the games and just the plain files for the others, and am unsure if this is doable, because the multiboot menu needs self boot inducer files, and the CDI image game is already bootable i believe. sorry if this doesnt make sense...
also can someone explain the difference between a 1st read bin. and an IP bin? if i knew what they were for and what they do i would accomplish a lot more. thanks.

peens
September 7th, 2006, 03:15
by the way its all homebrew games :p , i was just reading through this forum and seeing how many topics got locked for asking about warez and what not. but yeah, this is all freeware games from http://dreamcast.dcemu.co.uk/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi awesome site by the way.

Darksaviour69
September 7th, 2006, 10:22
really there are 2 ways about it, Sbi4 or Dc Hakker

for sbi4 they must be sbi files, so you either have to make them yourself , or download from sbiffy http://consolevision.com/members/sbiffy/ ( old and out of date)

dchakker you burn the boot disk and then put all the plain files on another disc, but the handy thing is you can make the dics mutli session, so you can keep adding to the one disc
dchakker guide
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=26664

the cdi is an image ready to burn, you will have to mount it or some thing to get the palin files out of it, if you want to use either of this methods

what are the homebrew apps/game/emus you are burning anyway?

peens
September 7th, 2006, 17:05
just a few games off the site.. biohazardDC, the Metal Slug game, Miss Driller, and some first person shooter called Revolver. Revolver is the one that is the CDI format, and i just wastn sure if i could burn it with all the bin. files and still make it work. i have read that you can extract the files from a CDI, but i am unsure as to how you do that, mount it you say? no idea what that means. i am fairly new to this stuff but i really want to learn.
as for SBI4, i an not totally sure how to make SBI files. i have SBI Builder, but i used it the other day, and only got like 2 out of 8 games to work on a mutiboot menu.
And i have DC Hakker on dreamselectionV.1, but again i was unsure if it would have read the CDI file. i thought it only read bin. files.
I also read that you had some trouble getting biohazardDC to work, somehting to do with the SBI file? i couldnt get it to work either. anyway, appreciate the help. thanks

peens
September 7th, 2006, 22:25
also could you explain what the difference between IP.bin and 1st_read.bin is please? thanks, i looked them up but couldnt find anything out.

Darksaviour69
September 8th, 2006, 09:53
the 1st_read.bin is were the game data is, so very important, the ip.din is what tells the dreamcast to boot the game ( ip.bin is the same file for every release)

i was actually playing around with dc hakker for a while last night.

this guides will help u
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=131

an easy way to get started is just to use dc hakker, the files on the site are just plain files of dc hakker, use bootdreams to make and burn the cd (cd record method works for me)

no just burn a new data disc with what ever burning program you want, and leave it open (so you can add more files to it later.

rename the 1st_read.bin of the releases to what every there name is (1st_read.bin = pong.bin) and add to the root of the cd, do that with as many as you like.

i got Metal Slug 32 (which is just a nice demo), another world (great port by gpf), Trampalien Gunmen DC and a few others working that way, biohazardDC did not boot.

Revolver is a light gun game, pretty cool too, i need to replace the cdi with plain files, at some stage

sbi can be a bitch some times, but as i said you can download them ready made at sbiffy

btw a cdi file is a ready to burn discjuggler image ( you can convert it to a nero image with cdi2nero)

edit: you know a FAQ explaining these terms might be usefull

peens
September 8th, 2006, 19:15
so you dont really need the ip.bin if you use dchakker? thanks somehting i needed to know.
and i have dchakker on the dream selection volume 1 release, i tried it last night with some of the binary files on dream selection itself and it just kept restarting the dreamcast.. any thoughts on that, should i just burn a separate copy of dchakker?
about biohazardDC you said you couldnt get it working? that really sucks, i think that game looks really neat and wanted to give it a shot.
about revolver, if i just burn the CDI image right now as is, would it be playable?

i tried to burn a cd last night of bin. files... only to find out the burner i have been using for the last some odd months, decided it didtn want to be compatible with nero anymore, so i couldtn burn a mutisession disc, only single session... anyway, thanks for all the help, and yes, a faq about general terms and what they are used for and what they do, would be veeeery useful for "noobs" like me, haha, the most confusing part of buring all those games and stuff is not knowing what the files do or what to do with them. anyway, thanks again, very much appreciated.

Christuserloeser
September 8th, 2006, 19:30
for sbi4 they must be sbi files, so you either have to make them yourself , or download from sbiffy http://consolevision.com/members/sbiffy/ ( old and out of date)

www.dchelp.net/sbi is much more up to date, but it still misses some releases.

I will have a look at updating it in the future.