PDA

View Full Version : Do any demo discs contain VMU demos?

Zephyrr
January 11th, 2011, 21:57
I recently learned that cd-roms damage Dreamcasts so I'm not going to put those in there, so I would like to know if any of the Dreamcast demo discs had a VMU game on it, I know supposedly quake 3 arena has it if you beat the game and I'm working on that and I'd like to play on the VMU. Also does anyone know how to improve battery life, including mods

Darksaviour69
January 11th, 2011, 22:51
if you dummy cd properly its shouldn't damage the dreamcast. I has most of the uk demo discs and i don't remember any vmu demos. The only vemu game i ever really played was pinto's quest for Sky's of Arcadia. I strapped 2 aa batteries to it and 2 leads to the connects in the vmu, there are guides for it.

Zephyrr
January 12th, 2011, 01:35
I've read that cd-r's will slowly destroy your gd-rom drive, but out of curiosity how would I properly dummy a cd

BlueCrab
January 12th, 2011, 01:57
The whole thing about CDs killing the Dreamcast's laser is rooted in people burning "backups" of games, and changing the sort order of the files from what it was on the GD-ROM. Basically, no homebrew game is going to be accessing the disc enough to do any real damage to the laser, so as long as you're not making illegal "backups" you should be fine.

Dummying homebrew, for the most part, does little to nothing.

Zephyrr
January 12th, 2011, 03:42
alright thanks, and awesome avatar BlueCrab

Darksaviour69
January 12th, 2011, 23:31
yeah what it said...

forgot that most homebrew is loaded directly inot the ram once its loaded and the disc isn't used again, while warez games are constantly loaded from the disc.