PDA

View Full Version : Can or should I scan disk and defrag my memory stick?

jwilds73
September 10th, 2006, 18:18
Ok well I have had a few problems with my memory stick (which is a legitimate scan disk 1 gig card). So I ran error checking on it with it plugged into my computer (while still in the psp just usb connect turned on). It seemed to help and even found some fragments I was then able to delete. The main problem it gave me was it had a corrupt file that I couldn't delete as it kept giving me an error and refusing to allow me to delete the file. However after running error checking I was able to delete it and some fragments found. Everything now seems to be working fine. This saved me from having to format and reinstall everything to the stick.

Now though I just wondered about defragging the memory stick itself. Not that it's really fragmented I guess. I just wonder if it will reorganize the files in sequencal (sp?) clusters like my hard drive. I guess I'm just wondering if it would improve performance any? Now I know the memory stick isn't like a HD in that it has a rotating drive and a arm to read the data off it and would have to hop and skip around for pieces of data. So defragging probably won't make a difference. I just kinda wondered if I could or should defrag my stick.

jwilds73
September 10th, 2006, 20:02
Well defragging runs on it now how much benefit if any it gives I don't know but everything seems to run fine. I'm using diskeeper 10 professional.

BrooksyX
September 10th, 2006, 20:05
Just back up any gamesaves and homebrew you have and format your memory stick.

tallica
September 10th, 2006, 23:39
Just back up any gamesaves and homebrew you have and format your memory stick.

I agree.