PDA

View Full Version : Need an advice about buying a PSP

MrQuaker
September 11th, 2006, 22:38
Hi,
I just saw that you have a great forum here, so maybe I'll get considerable answers. I sold my NDS a while ago because new portable games don't appeal to me (I bought a 360). I have an old Sega Nomad with 30 games that I can't get rid of because of the nostalgia. I didn't consider the PSP when I got my DS since it wasn't even out. Now that the homebrew scene developed a little (well it looks like it, a year after) will the PSP really satisfy me? I don't care for any game except GTA, and every other forum in which I asked the question replied me how good PSP games are. But I really don't care at all; I want a portable Genesis emulator with all the games I have. Do the genesis emulators work well? Is it worth getting a PSP strictly for that? And if I buy a used one, except for the firmware to not be over 2.75, should I check something else (like the TA-085 wtf is that and why should I check it).
Thanks for any valuable answer

Napalm-Death
September 11th, 2006, 23:02
There's no such thing as a firmware 2.75, last time I checked TA-085(a model of the PSP motherboard) couldn't run homebrew, if you want your nostalgia, the psp would be a good choice since it does a lot more than just run emulators. The Genesis emulators are pretty much perfect on the psp as well. I hope that helps.

Kramer
September 11th, 2006, 23:06
yeah the genesis emulator runs pretty much all games full speed. All psp's can run homebrew now so theres nothing tooworry about.

SSaxdude
September 11th, 2006, 23:07
I've got 2 Sega Nomads and they rock, but my 1.5 PSP with DGEN has replaced them.

Video_freak
September 11th, 2006, 23:33
yeah the genesis emulator runs pretty much all games full speed. All psp's can run homebrew now so theres nothing tooworry about.
Man these are the days! :)

PS: 3 more posts till 777! :)

MrQuaker
September 11th, 2006, 23:46
I've got 2 Sega Nomads and they rock, but my 1.5 PSP with DGEN has replaced them.

Really? I don't know if should write thank you or scr*w you since you'll make me 200$ poorer :) Anyway can you tell me more about it? Are the games in widescreen? The sound? I mean carrying Beyond Oasis, Phantasy Star 4, Gunstar Heroes, etc anywhere for the price of a 256mb memory stick sounds too awesome.
Thanks for all the fast answers!!

gusgus
September 12th, 2006, 00:00
It really depends on the emulators you are using. I mean, some strech the screen out, and some keep it to the normal aspect ratio. ( leaving the sides black ) You'll find the one that suites your needs. If you have the money, try to get a bigger memory stick, more space = more games to carry around :)

SSaxdude
September 12th, 2006, 00:01
Really? I don't know if should write thank you or scr*w you since you'll make me 200$ poorer :) Anyway can you tell me more about it? Are the games in widescreen? The sound? I mean carrying Beyond Oasis, Phantasy Star 4, Gunstar Heroes, etc anywhere for the price of a 256mb memory stick sounds too awesome.
Thank me, Genesis on the PSP is amazing.
You can change the size of the screen from widescreen or normal 4:3 or some others.
Sound is great, especially since DGEN runs games very well.
If you want cheap memory sticks, check out
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?N=2000070068+1053107927&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=68
256 mb will suffice for some homebrew and a bunch of roms, but for music and movies then 1 gb is the way to go. Soon enough we will be able to emulate the Playstation, and I know those games will be large.

Napalm-Death
September 12th, 2006, 00:23
All psp's can run homebrew now so theres nothing tooworry about.
Holy crap...thanks for updating me. ;D

BelmontSlayer
September 12th, 2006, 00:30
Are the games in widescreen? The sound? I mean carrying Beyond Oasis, Phantasy Star 4, Gunstar Heroes, etc anywhere for the price of a 256mb memory stick sounds too awesome.

The majority of the emulators allow you to chose the screen ratio. Also the sound is perfect on all my Genesis games. I played Phantasy Star IV all the way through with no slowdowns, glitches, ect.

SSaxdude
September 12th, 2006, 00:57
2.8 can only do Hello World at the moment. If you're serious about homebrew, get a 1.5. I know SuccessHK sells some 1.52 and downgradeable 2.5.

donne
September 12th, 2006, 01:09

256mb is more than enough for Dgen, Snes, CPS1 and some GBA gaming but why restrict yourself ? Get 1G and you can also play CPS2, Neogeo and play some music. Get 2G and you can almost get everything you wanted for retro emu gaming..

MrQuaker
September 12th, 2006, 01:27
256mb is more than enough for Dgen, Snes, CPS1 and some GBA gaming but why restrict yourself ? Get 1G and you can also play CPS2, Neogeo and play some music. Get 2G and you can almost get everything you wanted for retro emu gaming..

NeoGeo is big? And what is CPS2? But the videos and music don't interest me (I have a 20gb mp3 player) and I think 256mb is ok for a 500kb emulator and games taking 3mb max :) Well thanks for all the advices I'll get one soon and anyone can tell me which emulator is best for Genesis? And do the Snes ones feature sound for now?

skater9269
September 12th, 2006, 01:34
MrQuaker as we speak the n64 emulator is getting better and better so since those roms are generally around 10 mbs I would recommend a one gig plus you will want a 1.50 as it has acess to the media engine which looks like that will be the only way for sound to run for your n64 games also snes9xtyl runs in diffrent aspect ratios as well as pretty much all mature emus.

BelmontSlayer
September 12th, 2006, 05:06
NeoGeo is big? And what is CPS2? ... Well thanks for all the advices I'll get one soon and anyone can tell me which emulator is best for Genesis? And do the Snes ones feature sound for now?

CPS2 = Capcom Play System 2 (Capcom Arcade Machines)

DGEN is currently the best GENESIS emulator.
http://syn-k.sakura.ne.jp/dgen_psp/

And yes the SNES emulators have perfect sound. Most games run 99% perfect, only a few have lag. I recommend SNES TYL 0.4.2
http://yoyofr92.free.fr/psp/snespsp.html

You will want a 1.50 as it has acess to the media engine which looks like that will be the only way for sound to run for your n64 games also snes9xtyl runs in diffrent aspect ratios as well as pretty much all mature emus.

You don't need to buy a v1.50 PSP, as all PSPs are downgradable, except for 2.8 & TA-082.

donne
September 12th, 2006, 07:56
NeoGeo is big? And what is CPS2?

CPS2 is Capcom's arcade machine board.. The host for Capcom '90s games such as Street Fighter series (alpha1/2/3, Super), Vs series (Marvel VS Capcom), DarkStalker, Dungeons & Dragons, and some rather good shooters. The roms mostly go in 10mb-23Mb..

There's 2 kind of NeoGeo, CD and Rom version. CD is usually pretty big (50mb-200mb) and Neo Rom is rather small ranging from 9mb-35mb or so..