PDA

View Full Version : Brick ???

MrQuaker
September 12th, 2006, 17:46
I'm about to purchase a used PSP but I'd like to know what all the "brick" stuff is about. If I make a mistake, will my PSP NEVER be able to run emus and homebrew? I'll buy my PSP strictly for emus and having a brick would mean $200 in the garbage, so I'm worried. Explanations would be appreciated. Thanks

Kramer
September 12th, 2006, 17:50
A brick is an unusable psp with a corrupted flash meaning it wont turn on. Where are you buying the used PSP from?

jrsmaster411
September 12th, 2006, 17:55
The only way to brick a psp is by writing to the flash like changing the gameboot or font if your just playins emus and homebrew than no worries

Apoklepz
September 12th, 2006, 18:30
The only way to brick a psp is by writing to the flash like changing the gameboot or font if your just playins emus and homebrew than no worries

Yeah, that or dumbly taking out the battery or unplugging the power cord while updating the firmware...trust me I've heard shameful stories like this.

MrQuaker
September 12th, 2006, 19:02
Ok but can it happen while upgrading/downgrading the firmware? And if a PSP becomes a brick, what can be done woth it? Repair? Garbage?

Apoklepz
September 12th, 2006, 19:11
If you brick it, you either:

- Send it to SONY and pray for a replacement.

- Take it back to where you bought it and try to get a new one (I hear K-mart & Walmart are suckers for this, so hopefully you bought it from them.)

- Spend more money on a Undiluted platinum Modchip + installation (total of at least $200)

- Look for a new(working)PSP motherboard.

- Sell it on ebay (or just the parts) for half the price???

- Donate your Bricked PSP to Hombrew developers.

- Use as a paper weight or concealed weapon.

- Paint it into an Art Expression.

- Throw it in the garbage.

But not to fear...ther's many helpful people here in DCemu that will help you get the most out of your PSP without even remotely coming close to bricking it...Just ask and you shall get help.:)

Nafogel
September 12th, 2006, 19:12
Ok but can it happen while upgrading/downgrading the firmware? And if a PSP becomes a brick, what can be done woth it? Repair? Garbage?
Yeah, it can happen while upgrading and/or downgrading. Just be careful when downgrading, and do your research. AND NEVER, EVER UPGRADE!. Also, if it bricks, some have found that it makes a rather elegant but expensive paper weight:eek:

Roxas
September 12th, 2006, 21:09
If you brick it, you either:

- Send it to SONY and pray for a replacement.

- Take it back to where you bought it and try to get a new one (I hear K-mart & Walmart are suckers for this, so hopefully you bought it from them.)

- Spend more money on a Undiluted platinum Modchip + installation (total of at least $200)

- Look for a new(working)PSP motherboard.

- Sell it on ebay (or just the parts) for half the price???

- Donate your Bricked PSP to Hombrew developers.

- Use as a paper weight or concealed weapon.

- Paint it into an Art Expression.

- Throw it in the garbage.

But not to fear...ther's many helpful people here in DCemu that will help you get the most out of your PSP without even remotely coming close to bricking it...Just ask and you shall get help.:)

Lol I just readed ur comment it n i just started to lol.:D :D :D

Anyways Great Ideas. yeah I bought a psp(to be 1.50 for all of the goodies)from walmart b4 i did anything to it, i check if it was ta-082 n it was so i returned it n bought another1 it was PERFECT!!!:D

Fittersman
February 6th, 2007, 03:58
well, if you want it specifically for homebrews, first check what version it is, if its 1.5, your all set and ready to go, but if its anything higher there are some homebrews out for it but you can always downgrade with the help of this forum, there is a 3.03 (and maybe a 3.10?) downgrader out, and even if you like the newer versions of sony's firmware, you can upgrade to the custom firmware 3.10OE-A and get the best of both worlds.

Shadowblind
February 6th, 2007, 04:00
If you brick it by upgrading to Dark_Alex firmware( which will only come if you REALLY dont follow directions) there is a great recovery mode for that. :)

mexicansnake
February 6th, 2007, 05:22
Who bumped this :p?.

Fittersman
February 6th, 2007, 22:48
lol, probably me, sorry if thats a bad thing :(