PDA

View Full Version : PSPUAE 0.55 Released

FOL
September 12th, 2006, 19:24
We have released another update to the PSP Amiga emulator over at www.pspuae.com - Release changes / improvements listed below.

This update is thanks to MrModem, over at PSPUAE.com

V0.55 - MrModem Update
- Added some more Joystick mapping options. You can now use any button to control Amiga joystick 0.
- Changed all sceCtrlReadBufferPositive to sceCtrlPeekBufferPositive. This should speed things up a little, because sceCtrlReadBufferPositive always waits for vsync.
- Fixed a "bug" that caused the PSP to crash if you tried to exit using the home button.
- Added Bilinear filtering when zoom is turned on.

Enjoy.

Download and Give Feedback & Compatibility Reports Via Comments

Kramer
September 12th, 2006, 19:30
Cool thanks cant wait to try it out.

ACID
September 12th, 2006, 19:31
Man thats a fast update from last version thanks a lot FOL now ill try this one.

JKKDARK
September 12th, 2006, 19:33
great news :)

The_Ultimate_Eggman
September 12th, 2006, 19:52
Is there any improvment in speed thats whats put me off before spluttery sound choppy fw ect .Still nice to see another update.NEW & final IRSHELL out tommorow available now from
http://www.irshell.com/download.html

FOL
September 12th, 2006, 20:00
Is there any improvment in speed thats whats put me off before spluttery sound choppy fw ect .Still nice to see another update

Play with the settings, you can get very decent speed with no choppy sound

ACID
September 12th, 2006, 20:02
Thanks again "FOL . hey whats the best game you recomend

FOL
September 12th, 2006, 20:03

Turrican, DUNE, and others to many to list, but they are my favorite

ACID
September 12th, 2006, 20:04
ok thanks i will try turrican i love dune playing it now. Keep up the great work

Hungry Horace
September 12th, 2006, 20:06
Is there any improvment in speed thats whats put me off before spluttery sound choppy fw ect .Still nice to see another update

- Changed all sceCtrlReadBufferPositive to sceCtrlPeekBufferPositive. This should speed things up a little, because sceCtrlReadBufferPositive always waits for vsync.

which version did you last try? most recent
releases have had some form of speed increase.

also, if load-times annoy you check this thread here (http://www.condor.serverpro3.com/pspuae/index.php/topic,142.msg1224/topicseen.html#new) :)

edit: FFS guys!! post whilst i'm finding the" HD in Ram:" thread link why dont you?!! :p

sedkiller
September 12th, 2006, 20:06
hey where can I find those Kick files ? (send me PM)

FOL
September 12th, 2006, 20:09
which version did you last try? most recent
releases have had some form of speed increase.

also, if load-times annoy you check this thread here (http://www.condor.serverpro3.com/pspuae/index.php/topic,142.msg1224/topicseen.html#new) :)

edit: FFS guys!! post whilst i'm finding the HD in Ram: thread link! :p

Indeed, with this new update, you can get perfect emulation with Xenon2 and FS = 3 and CPU set to Chipset

Makes it very very playable

10shu
September 12th, 2006, 21:08

-Turrican 2

-Alien breed 1&2

-SuperCar2

-Another world

-Agony

-Speedball 2

-Cannon fodder 1&2

-Chuckrock

-Syndicate

-Epic

-Robocop 3d

robocelot
September 12th, 2006, 21:14
Is there any way to preserve the full Amiga screen resolution when zooming?

The reason I ask is that some games that use fine text become unreadable. The best example of this is Floor 13. Speed would take a bit of a hit but that isn't something that would affect Floor 13 too much.

Also, has anyone been able to get Turrican II to a decent speed and non-stuttery sound?

I must compliment you on PSPUAE, because it runs Cinemaware's Wings smoother than the latest Xbox WinUAEX and it properly works with each disk in both disk drives. Wings is one of the worst games for pointless disk swapping (Wrath of the Demon, Lionheart, Robocop 3D, EPIC, Harlequin are all up there for lame disk swapping)

I also have to ask (though this may have been covered in another thread) what advantages are there with running the emulator with the various chipsets and/or the chipset emulation? I don't seem to be seeing many differences in speed or sound stability.

10shu
September 12th, 2006, 21:14
I do not wish to be disrespect full...but how the amiga emulator is so slow when we got a fullspeed atari st emulator for months....?

I owned an amiga 500 back in the early 90...it didn t seem to be much difference between the 2 hardwares...(ATARI ST)

what make the amiga emulation so hard on the psp?

robocelot
September 12th, 2006, 21:24
I do not wish to be disrespect full...but how the amiga emulator is so slow when we got a fullspeed atari st emulator for months....?

I owned an amiga 500 back in the early 90...it didn t seem to be much difference between the 2 hardwares...(ATARI ST)

what make the amiga emulation so hard on the psp?

Before FOL answers, I can tell you that the Amiga has a number of custom chips that make it more difficult to emulate. While the basic specs are similar (Motorola 680x0) it's the added stuff that will bog down the emulator.

The other speed differences you see may have nothing to do with the machines themselves but with the emulator cores that these ports are based on. The ST emulator may just be more mature in some respects. On the PC where these emulators were first developed speed isn't as much of a concern but when they are ported to a slower system the speed differences between the two emulators is magnified.

10shu
September 12th, 2006, 21:32
Thank you for the answer robocelot!!!:)

Here an other amiga emulator for pc...It run better on slow Pc than UAE

http://fellow.sourceforge.net/

Maybe somebody would try to port it to the psp...

The_Ultimate_Eggman
September 12th, 2006, 21:44
mmmm still runs stuff terribly alot of pissing about to get stuff to run gonna wait along time to see how this comes along before it takes permentent residence on my m$tick.*sigh*Will have too play my trusty old a1200 i still have.

r2works
September 12th, 2006, 22:44
so would a CD32 be out of the question?

Hungry Horace
September 12th, 2006, 23:05
The reason I ask is that some games that use fine text become unreadable.

have you tried this latest version? there is now graphics filtering which aids text reading.

Also, has anyone been able to get Turrican II to a decent speed and non-stuttery sound?

i have with T1... but FOL was trying T2 out. not sure how well it runs. i suspect with chipset cpu, frameskip 2/3 it'll run pretty well with a little slowdown when things get busy onscreen. (that's how T1 is as least)

I must compliment you on PSPUAE, because it runs Cinemaware's Wings smoother than the latest Xbox WinUAEX and it properly works with each disk in both disk drives. Wings is one of the worst games for pointless disk swapping

you should have a look on www.pspuae.com - we have a thread about running harddrive games from the amiga ramdisk. this considerably improves in-game loading times (to not unlike a ROM on a console machine) - and i know for a fact Wings has an HD installer, so in-game access could be improved. :)

I also have to ask (though this may have been covered in another thread) what advantages are there with running the emulator with the various chipsets and/or the chipset emulation? I don't seem to be seeing many differences in speed or sound stability.

the chipset CPU option makes a MASSIVE difference to sound and the speed. It tends to force sound to being almost exact, and can speed things quite considerably. However, the side-effect is slow-down once thing get busy on screen (i.e. things that rely heavily on the chipset emulation)

mmmm still runs stuff terribly

depends entirely on what you are running, or how good you are at forcing the most out of Amiga emualtion :cool:

i have a fair few things running excellently with this release.... especially now i have save-states which are setup for RAM loading.

alot of pissing about to get stuff to run

out of interest, do you use winuae much? only i find pspuae incredibly easy to set up for everything. no offence. i'm curious as to what your having trouble with. I'd like to see more option-saving functions myself though to ease this.

So would a CD32 be out of the question?

FOL is a big CD32 fan, and has already made a number of CD32 games load on pspuae, obviously without the CD audio, and only those games which do not use the AGA chipset (which is unsupported by PSPUAE)

The_Ultimate_Eggman
September 12th, 2006, 23:20
I use win uae on my pc its alot easier as its all done using mouse to point and click with nice gui (i know its probably kept basic looking to free up memory/resources) not button combos.Still its good to see it been updated but i personally wont use it for along time till it runs stuff like turrican 2/sotb/ik+/ninja warriors near p$p permits perfect

Hungry Horace
September 12th, 2006, 23:23
hehe, fair enough. personally i can live without GUI.... but i have been using an amigas for over 17 years!

SOTB and IK+ shouldnt take too long. SOTB runs well apparntly, and IK+ would be wonderful if it wasnt for the sound-bug that happens with it's SFX. turn sound off however and it's getting damn close to full speed :D

(IK+ is one i test on pspuae a LOT!)

ACID
September 12th, 2006, 23:25
I think its very good even with the buggi sound

The_Ultimate_Eggman
September 12th, 2006, 23:26
[QUOTE=Hungry Horace]hehe, fair enough. personally i can live without GUI.... but i have been using an amigas for over 17 years!

me too dude im 34 lol so an old vetran from the amiga/St wars of the 80's lol.

FOL
September 12th, 2006, 23:28
Well Horace is correct, I love the CD32, and i really want AGA support, ;). I did manage to get Pinball Fantasies AGA to run, graphics were abit screwed up, but I put the source somewhere or deleted, dont know which. Since then with the new sources I havent been able to get any AGA games to display / run properly.

I beleive CD support is being looked at, why, well if HD support is a no go, then thats the next best thing. You can then emulate a CDTV, which is basically an A500+ with a CD-ROM Drive.

You could mount the CD Images, well thats ideal solution to HD problem.

Hungry Horace
September 13th, 2006, 02:40

hooray! lets start up that old argument again... we all know what the easy winner is... right? ;)

re: CDTV emulation

FOL already knows this i think, but personally i dont feel a want to see this emulator run any specific amiga model myself, but rather a hypothetical amiga setup which takes adavnatge of the possibilities of combing parts of different amigas, whilst working alongside the limitations of emualtion on the PSP itself.... so an ECS A1200 with ks 3.1, bags of memory, and -any- kind of mass storage device is what i'm after i think!

i wouldnt call creating CDTV iso's and slapping those on my memorycard an "ideal" alternative to HD support though! (unless FOL is gonna start making compilations of games i actually like :p )

Baboon
September 13th, 2006, 08:53
I forgot all about Robocop 3D on the Amiga! :) I spent loadsa time on this old classic driving around Detroit, and blasting terrorists while in the first person shooter sequences! ...ahhh, its like I’m back in 92 again!

Its great to see an update for this emu so soon though after the last release. Hopefully you guys will stay at it and perfect this retro classic... and eventually make this one of THE reasons to own a PSP. :)

Dickhead
September 13th, 2006, 15:42
Yeah I used to have a amiga 500, with lots of great games, the amiga was better than the atari st it had more support, better graphics and i liked the sound on the amiga over the st fm sound. If we can get the speed up just a few frames then it will rock

ACID
September 13th, 2006, 15:47
[QUOTE=Hungry Horace]hehe, fair enough. personally i can live without GUI.... but i have been using an amigas for over 17 years!

Great to know im not the oldest anymore:eek: . But love this emu

FOL
September 13th, 2006, 18:16
hooray! lets start up that old argument again... we all know what the easy winner is... right? ;)

re: CDTV emulation

FOL already knows this i think, but personally i dont feel a want to see this emulator run any specific amiga model myself, but rather a hypothetical amiga setup which takes adavnatge of the possibilities of combing parts of different amigas, whilst working alongside the limitations of emualtion on the PSP itself.... so an ECS A1200 with ks 3.1, bags of memory, and -any- kind of mass storage device is what i'm after i think!

i wouldnt call creating CDTV iso's and slapping those on my memorycard an "ideal" alternative to HD support though! (unless FOL is gonna start making compilations of games i actually like :p )

lol, I will make lots of compilations, if CD support happens, and I didnt mean limiting the emu to 1 computer spec, just ment, like with the A1200, ECS, 2 Megs Ram and KS3.1 you could have CDTV, ECS, 1 Megs Ram and KS1.3 & CDTV Extended Kickstart.

Also, if CD support happens, it will let you use images, for all configs, i use a 1200 config in WinUAE which runs my CD32 games.

I forgot all about Robocop 3D on the Amiga! I spent loadsa time on this old classic driving around Detroit, and blasting terrorists while in the first person shooter sequences! ...ahhh, its like I’m back in 92 again!

Its great to see an update for this emu so soon though after the last release. Hopefully you guys will stay at it and perfect this retro classic... and eventually make this one of THE reasons to own a PSP.

Aye, Robocop3 was cool, especially with the stupid wierd looking joystick attachment for copy protection. Fun days fun days.

Hungry Horace
September 14th, 2006, 00:53
Great to know im not the oldest anymore:eek: . But love this emu

lol.. i am still a fair few years younger than the eggman myself... i was practially born crawling onto the keys for "Horace Goes Skiing"!

on-topic... perhaps the file in this thread should be removed? since it's just... wrong!